Chapter Twenty Nine

Violet's POV

I'm standing alone in a pool of people. I wanted to find Lily before midnight so I wouldn't start the year with just myself but I've failed.

"10..9..8.."

I look around again, she's nowhere to be seen. But right before I give up I spotted her and that Rea girl standing together. My body urges me forward, stepping closer to them.

"3..2..1!"

I stop. Lily pulled Rea in for a kiss by her chin. Rea's body stiffens but then relaxes slightly. Lily smiles, pulling away first, leaving Rea starstruck.

I watch their interaction with my eyebrows knit together. My face flushes and a knot of anger rises in my chest. My fists buddle together, pure jealousy flowing through my blood.

I shouldn't feel like this.

But I do.

The lump in my throat grows, I go to turn around but before I do, Lily parts from Rea and spots me, running over.

"Happy new year!"

"Yeah, happy new year."

A smile is plastered over her face, alcohol on her breath, her eyes sparkling in the flashing lights of the new year. "Come with me!" she exclaims, pulling me alongside her to wherever she's going.

The image swims in my mind, fogging my brain in jealousy. But I don't say anything, I don't exactly have the right. I follow her like a lost puppy, talking when it feels appropriate.

"If it's okay with you, I'm going to head out, okay?"

Lily turns to me, a smile playing on her face. "Yeah that's fine! Get home safe please!"

She leans in for a hug, kissing my cheek goodbye. My stomach flutters but I walk away.

The cold air of the outside erupts goosebumps on my skin. I pull out my phone, going through my contacts, pressing on my brother's name until it calls him. He answers after the second ring.

"Wesley? Can you pick me up?"

There's a deep breath on his end, and for a moment I think he'll tell me to walk, "finally, I've been trying not to fall asleep so you could make it home. Text me the address."

A rush of relief flies over me. "Thank you."

"Yeah yeah, be there at 10."

The calls end and I'm left in my own silence, the sound of the party feeling like background noise. I sit down on the curb, feathering my fingers over the bumpy cement.

I don't want to feel like this. It's destroying me. It eats at me daily. My brain is in denial but my entire body craves for her next to me. It's exhausting, yet exhilarating. I don't know what it is about her that draws me in so much. This feeling I have for her is blinding. I would take her hand while blindfolded and follow her.

A red car whips around in front of me, the passenger window rolling down. "Get in loser."

I tug at a light smile before getting up from the curb, opening the door, and sitting next to him. I cuddle my knees to my chest, not exactly hiding my feelings but also not leaving them in the open. The hum of the car echoes over the silent radio. He looks over at me, nudging my shoulder but I just shrug it off.

"Not a good party?" he questions, keeping his eyes on the road. "That's an understatement," I mutter.

The silence is suffocating but in my own way. It's not awkward, I don't want to talk, but the silence is letting me sit in my own thoughts. The car slows down, turning into a spot we haven't taken before. I peek over the dashboard, seeing were parked in a parking lot of a closed store.