Chapter Sixteen

Rea's POV

Saturday mornings are always peaceful, the fact I know I have no responsibility today just makes the day feel nice. My window is open because the sun was out, even though it's winter it feels like a spring morning. The chilly air enters my room every few minutes, a wave of goosebumps erupting over my skin each time. 

I think I heard Thomas, or Tom, leave about two hours after I got home last night. I guess my mom listened when I said don't run him out, which is surprising. He's not bad, he was polite and my mom seemed comfortable. It was weird to see my mom with someone, in my entire 17 years on this earth she has been by herself, I was the only person she focused on. I think she realized I'm older now and she doesn't have to always worry. If anything I'm the one who worries, I want her to be happy but I don't want the almost two-decade pause on dating to affect that. 

I roll over in my bed, becoming restless from just sitting here awake. Sighing, I sit up, seeing my room lit up from the outside sun, the temperature makes me shiver, the looks of summer outside still doesn't make the winter cold go away. 

"Andrea are you awake? I made breakfast!" I hear my mom yell from what I assume to be the kitchen. 

"I am! Give me a second!" I yell back, wanting to make sure she knows I'm awake and doesn't eat all my food. I hurry to put a sweatshirt and pants on, knowing that shorts and a tank-top won't keep away the cold that invaded our house. Once im clothed I go to the bathroom to clean up. 

Soon I'm walking toward the delicious breakfast smell coming from the kitchen, when I enter my mom is bouncing through the kitchen plating and rinsing empty pans. "Mom?" 

When she hears my voice she turns around, almost hitting me with the pan she was holding. "Ooops- I'm sorry I didn't mean to." 

I grab the pan from her hands, "breath mom it's only us eating." she stops and awkwardly smiles at me, "actually you see-" 

"Good morning Andrea, or do you have a nickname?" I hear the familiar voice from last night come up behind me, I spin around quickly, faced with Tom yet again. 

"I should've warned you. Tom uh- stayed last night." 

I fold my lips into a line to stop myself from smiling, I walk over to the table not saying a word, and sit down. Tom and my mom followed behind me until we are all sat around the food. There is one plate of pancakes and another with waffles paired with a plate with eggs and sausage. He stayed and she made breakfast?

I breathe out a 'go mom' that's just loud enough for my mom to hear and she lightly hits my arm. 

"Anyways, let's dig in," she says, and I do instantly. Tom is careful to not grab anything I get near, I think he's trying to be nice. The breakfast is awkwardly silent, but I have no idea how to shift the mood so I don't say anything. 

When we finish I tell my mom thank you and nod to Tom, walking out silently. I head back to my room and return to the same spot I was just an hour before. Its probably 11? Maybe 12 now? I haven't actually seen the time so I could be extremely wrong but, a guess is a guess. 

Like I said before, knowing I have no responsibility is relaxing, but it's also extremely boring. 

When is the last time I did a craft? 

I have no clue. Going to the craft store it is. 

I put on actual clothes and grab a thick jacket for the weather, walking toward the living room to tell my mom my plans. 

"Where are you off too?" I hear my mom's voice behind me, I spin around and smile, "I'm going to the craft store, I'm bored." 

"Okay honey that's fine. Have fun."