Chapter 7: Brioche

She smell of fresh bread wafts through the air as (Y/n) opens the sturdy double doors, a gust of warm air making her feel at home. Looking around, potted plants hung on the walls underneath candle holders. Her shoes clicked against the sturdy wooden floors as she stepped inside the bakery. The counters had a smooth wooden top and tinted glass allowing customers to view the variety of pastries and cakes available. Looking around the cosy interior, (Y/n) found there were very few customers, two of which she quickly recognized to be Tommy and Tubbo. A few feet behind the counter, Niki was visible kneading dough on a flour covered counter, flour covering the front of her apron. The to previously mentioned boys we're sat by a window laughing with each other over who-knows-what. Deciding to make her presence known, (Y/n) went over and tapped their shoulders, confusing Tommy and earning an exited greeting from Tubbo.

"It's you! You're the woman who saved Tommy!", he said with a bright smile which she happily returned. "We're pretty sure you know our names, but what's yours?", he asked her, which she responded with her name. "Well it's a pleasure to properly meet you!", Tubbo said before Tommy finally added to the conversation. "Well now that I know your name, I'll be sure to tell my brother, the crown prince,", he added with emphasis and pride before continuing, "about you, seeing as he's looking for a wife." This confused (Y/n), as she hadn't heard anything about the prince looking for a bride while walking through town, seeing as if it were known, there would've been a lot of talk about it. "Well, I'm flattered,", (Y/n) started, "but I'm not currently looking for marriage. I don't see much of a point in it.", she explained honestly. After a bit of thought, he nodded in understanding.

"Fair enough. Anyway, me and big law must be off. We've got important things to do.", Tommy spoke with a prideful voice before abruptly standing and walking out, Tubbo soon realising he was supposed to follow and running after him with a rushed goodbye. It made (Y/n) laugh how on some days they would be close friends and on other days be a boy and his sidekick, but no matter what they always had fun. She envied their friendship in a way. Who wouldn't want someone by their side through thick and thin? (Y/n) let out a sigh before turning back to the counter to see Niki stood there with a welcoming smile. Niki was definitely close to (Y/n), but they weren't close enough to be considered friends. They held some decent conversation at most. "Welcome.", Niki greeted. "What can I get for you today?"

"Could I get half a dozen brioche rolls and a small jar of (jam/cream cheese/chocolate spread/etc) please?", (Y/n) asked her, placing a number of coins on the counter alongside a small basket. Niki swiped them into her hands and counted them before giving a satisfied nod and placing the coins in a jar on the counter. "You're in luck. There should be a fresh batch ready now.", Niki told her. She stepped into the kitchen and opened a stone oven, the gust of warm air reaching all the way to (Y/n), despite the distance. Niki slipped on an oven glove and pulled out a tray of golden-brown brioche rolls, all giving of a sweet aroma. Niki placed the tray two the side and carefully picked up six of the rolls, placing them on the adjacent counter. She then rushed back to (Y/n) and picked up the basket before heading back and placing the rolls inside. She then knelt down and opened a cabinet, revealing a large array of jams and spreads. After a bit of rummaging, Niki pulled out a small jar of (Y/n)'s requested spread and placed it amongst the rolls, picking up the basket and bringing it back to her. (Y/n) thanked her and grabbed the basket before turning and exiting the bakery.

The walk to the woods seemed to pass in a moment as (Y/n) found herself walking between trees down a path she seemed to have memorized. There were few twigs who got in her way as she slipped between the trunks and stepped over particularly large rocks. Before long, (Y/n) could see the shining lake and finally emerged from the trees into the familiar clearing. The recognizable wicker basket in her hand was still radiating heat, much to her delight. By the lake, where he always sat, was Blade. A pair of round golden glasses rested on the bridge of his nose, being held on by a thin chain that went around the back of his neck. In his hands was a decently large book with a leather cover worn from use. A few strands of soft pink hair fell from the loose low bun on his head, and (Y/n) watched as his calloused hand tucked the hair behind his ear nonchalantly before lowering again to turn the page. Blade seemed to hardly notice when the hair fell again, casting shadows on his face. (Y/n) giggled, drawing Blade's attention from his book to his companion.

"You finally arrived,", he started before noticing the wicker basket in (Y/n)'s hands, "and you brought lunch?" She smiled and nodded, walking over to him and sitting at his left. (Y/n) took out the spread, a brioche roll, and a small knife that probably couldn't even prick her delicate finger, before slicing the roll in half and putting some spread in the middle. After making a small sandwich, she held it out to Blade. He quietly accepted with a curt nod in thanks. The two sat quietly by the ponds Rocky bed and ate, the swaying of the leaves and whistling of birds filling the silence. It was quiet, and the duo were content. "What were you reading before I arrived?", (Y/n) asked out of the blue. Blade looked to the book at his right when she mentioned it, remembering how engrossed he had been in the shape of each letter, in the sound of the paper turning, the feel of the smooth leather in his hands.

"It's called 'The Art of War', by Sun Tzu. You probably wouldn't be very interested-", he began, but was interrupted by his companion. "No,", she began, running her hand over the warm brown cover as Blade held it between them, "you've piqued my interest. Read it to me?" He was surprised that she'd immediately shown intrigue despite the intimidating title, but Blade gave a short nod and opened the book to a page with a red ribbon inside to keep note where he left off. They both enjoyed their lunch as Blade's monotone, yet soothing voice read from the book, (Y/n) listening keenly and adding some input now and then. Once again, the blue sky was filled with red and orange hues, signalling the end of their meeting. One again, Blade insisted on walking her home. And once again, (Y/n) let him.

Except this time, as Techno went to grab the doorknob, he froze.