Chapter One - Kidnapped

All was lost. There was truly no reason for living anymore... except for one thing. Hope. Hope was the only thing keeping yourself and others alive. You see, many years ago a war had broken out between the humans and those horrid creatures of the night, the vampires. The war seemed to be in favor of the humans winning, for they had a surplus population compared to the vampires and more advanced military planning. All it took was one night to turn everything around though.

The humans had no clue that a Blood Moon was to take place in the middle of the war. Mainly due to that the last Blood Moon had happened over a millennium ago, and all who had witnessed that devastating night had either died during it or passed years after, taking the knowledge of that moon with them. During the time of the Blood Moon, the vampires had taken the upper hand. They wiped out much of the human race. Out of the billions of people at the beginning of that night, only six million survived. Many of the survivors were captured and used as servants for the vampires. Each servant was used as a typical house servant or as a designated food source for their "Master".

The humans who managed to escape capture had hidden themselves way in underground societies that they had built bit by bit from the beginning of the war. They only came out from their safe havens during the day, when the vampires were locked up in their darkened houses, to hunt, Of course, there were always the strange disappearances that would occur every so often during the day. A few humans were brave enough to become military trained vampire bounty hunters. They would go out on nights when dozens of vampires would flock to the woods where the entrances to their hidden cities were located in hopes of finding them. The bounty hunters would capture a few of them and bring them into the city. Some were questioned, though no answers were ever given. A handful of the captives were used as test subjects. Scientists would perform many tests on them, both chemical and physical, to see what gave them so many inhuman qualities. Again, no answers were ever given.

Centuries passed and the human population was still in the lower millions. No matter how hard they tried to repopulate the vampires would somehow think of a way to lower their numbers. Eighteen years ago you were brought into the world. In the eighteen years you had been alive, you had learned much about vampires and their way of life, as it was mandatory for all humans to know. You were fresh out of high school and still trying to figure out what you wished to do with your life. There were so many professions to choose from, and you just couldn't decide. As of now, you just ran errands for cash. These errands would occasionally lead you to the surface world. This was one of those times.

You mumbled to yourself while you walked through the forest. The morning summer sunlight shone brilliantly, beams passing through the gaps where green leaves were absent.

" 'Collect the Atamis stones. You'll be fine by yourself,' they said. For their sake, I better be fine by myself," you said to no one in particular.

You grumbled to yourself as you neared the entrance to the Atamis cave. Your usual happy attitude wasn't with you, seeing as though you were woken from your peaceful sleep rather early. It was only seven twenty-five in the morning on a Saturday after all.

"Those scientist better pay me good for doing this. They know I hate going in here alone. I wonder why they need so many of the Atamis stones. I don't think that the bounty hunters brought in any more vampires last night. I could be wrong though," you said as you turned a small Atamis stone in your hand.

You couldn't help but think of the fine powder that these stones could create once crushed. The way the powder felt could only be compared to silk. The plus side to Atamis Powder was that it could dissolve instantly in any liquid-like substance, and it's taste had a strong resemblance to iron. It was perfect to dissolve in blood and for some reason, vampires couldn't tell it was even in the blood given to them in the science facilities. You soon realized that you had been in a trance-like state for quite some time and went back to collecting the translucent stones. After a few minutes of silent collecting, you started to hum a tune to try and brighten your day. Little did you know that you had begun singing until a voice spoke out.