Prologue

Ava's pov

The orcs have been this way, I can tell by the tracks they have left, they are close. The footprints are fresh on the muddy path and the orcs are not being careful to hide their tracks, this will be an easy job. This has always been our advantage, they never expect us to be following them.

My dwarven friend Adisa and I have been hunting these orcs for days after receiving a message from our mystery friend.

We don't know who he is, only that as mercenaries we do as we are told, no questions asked. Thats the way it has been since Adisa and I have been on our own. That's how we survive in this world.

I rescued Adisa from the goblin cave, 50 years ago when she was just ten years old.
She had been captured from her family on their travels away from Erebor, after it was taken by Smaug. She is quite young to be hunting and killing orcs but I have been teaching her how to fight ever since I rescued her, to survive on the road you have to be able to protect yourself no matter your age.

"Ava, how far away do you think they are?" Adisa asks from beside me, knocking me out of my thoughts.

"Less than half a day at least, we should have them by tonight" I reply, standing back up from where I was perched on the path studying their tracks.

"Have who?" says a different voice I haven't heard in a long time. Adisa jumps up from fright but I just turn around calmly, instantly recognising that there was no threat.

"Gandalf?" I ask, surprised.

"The one and only, it has been to long my friend" Gandalf says as he smiles my way while walking over to join us.
"And you too Adisa, you have matured much since I last saw you" he says before he looks around as if to scope out what we have been up to.

"Who have you been tracking?" He asks as his eyes narrow on the distinct prints imprinted in the dirt.

"Oh, just some orcs who have been causing trouble" Adisa replies, obviously happy with Gandalf's comment.

"Ah well, that won't take long for you to finish, so when you are done I have a job for you" Gandalf says as he leans on his staff.

"What is it?" Adisa questions curiously. It is not often that Gandalf seeks us out personally for help. Only under dire circumstances as he most often has the situation under control.

"A company of dwarves are going on an adventure to take back Erebor" Gandalf replies and I understand why he would need help. It would take an army to kill the dragon Smaug and even then they would have to be the most well trained beings in all of middle earth.

"And, what does that have to do with us?" I ask bluntly, although I already know what he is going to ask.

"I wish for you both to join on the adventure to help the dwarves, I will leave you to make your decision" and with that simple remark Gandalf disappears into the trees without further information or persuasion.

"We must go and help" Adisa instantly says hopefully, even though she already knows my answer.

"No, our job is here" I reply firmly, shrugging my shoulders as I bend down to study some more tracks.

"Yes off course,  but you heard Gandalf, the dwarves need us" She pleads with a hopeful look in her eyes.

"He did not say that" I reply, rolling my eyes at her.

"It sounded pretty similar. . . Ava you know we have to do this" Adisa says as she tries another tact, one she knows is sure to break me.

I sigh "Yes I know, so we can try to find your family, you know chances are they are not even alive" I say in the hope that she will face reality, if even not for a second.

"I would like to hope" she says in a sad voice.

"Fine, lets finish this job and head on our way, you know how I loath to be late" I say, finally giving in.

Author's note

HELLO!
The picture at the start is of Ava.
This is my first ever story on Wattpad so please don't hate, but I don't mind constructive criticism.
So just post your comments and tell me what you think. Please follow me I will follow back.