Chapter 40: I Thought...

All she knew was the hot liquid that ran down her face was the one thing she hated the most. Lexa never enjoyed crying. She hated it. Princesses never cried in their stories. They were always so happy. So in love, so much at peace. But this, this was no fairy tale. This was reality and it hit her like a ton of bricks. How could she lie? How could Lexa make her feel so hurt, so pained by all the smiles, the love, the touches, their consummation of their love. Clarke felt so much hatred for her. Clarke had left the mansion, walking down the road in the dark, not caring about the music that faded away with every step she took away from the place. How could Lexa create such an excuse to her when clearly she was only using Clarke to her benefit. To get to her dad. To go through all the shit and faking of their love so that she could settle a business deal with her father when everything was over. Nia was right. Her words were exactly right.

- flashback -

"Congratulations Clarke Griffin on your engagement. I must say, you took the wrong woman to marry."

Clarke was on her way out to find Lexa when Nia Queen, stopped her to shake her hands.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Well, I've known Lexa since the first day she made her name in the stock business. Truly a remarkable and headstrong woman. But I must say, she is only using you for her own benefit." Anger rose in Clarke's stomach.

"How dare you say such things about Lexa. She is a great and responsible woman."

"Yet here she is, talking to her ex whom had left her. You know, she lied to her and faked that she was dying so that she could swindle off money from her own company to play around with her projects. Now that my dear girl, is something sly to do to your own workers. Anya as well doesn't even know about her own sister's ploy. Sad isn't it?"

No. No. No. Lexa would never do that. She would never. Lexa was too kind, to loving. She would never.

"You lie!"

"Now why would I Clarke? Perhaps you should ask her yourself. Good luck by the way, If you do marry her, she would take over your father's company too. And he would be out of work. It was nice meeting you Clarke. Enjoy the rest of the evening."

- end of flashback -

Clarke stopped in her tracks, screaming her lungs out at the revelation. The conversation she heard with Costia was even more depressing to the ears. She felt betrayed, she felt hurt. Clarke looked up to see an ambulance heading up the road towards the mansion, her head obviously to caught up in the truth she had seen earlier and she continued walking downwards, not wanting to know who hurt themselves. Probably just some drunkard or something. Clarke had been gone for a good 45 minutes and she knew enough that she needed to tell her parents about the truth. She didn't like it for she was in love with Lexa, but the woman didn't love her back. Only used her. Her father would be disappointed for sure and so she mustered the courage to turn around and walk back up the hill. But how wrong was she that after 15 minutes of walking back and the ambulance passes by again, that the one woman she loved so much had been telling the truth.

That she was the one in the ambulance, suffering a far worse pain than she did.

"Where the hell did Lexa go? And Clarke? Did you see her?" Raven and Anya were checking the rooms upstairs for their two friends, trying to find out where Lexa had stormed off to after she watched her interacting with Nia.

"No. But I sure as hell would like to beat the shit out of Nia. My sister has enough stress as it is. Let alone from seeing Costia again after a year. Fuck, they don't know when to quit."