196. Real Life

It was nearing 3 in the afternoon and Arrow was currently cuddled up against Nina's side with Duncan fast asleep upstairs and Blaire was coloring in the other side. Nina was running her fingers through Arrow' hair willing the toddler to sleep when Blaire got up and walked over to the couch and climbed up.

"Mama?" She asked looking at Nina who bummed looking down at her, "daddy?"

"He'll be home soon, baby," she replied and Blaire frowned, "he's working right now with uncle Paul but I promise he'll be home soon"

Blaire nodded before laying her head down on Nina's shoulder, "tired?"she shook her head and Nina sighed. She couldn't blame Ian from not being so often but she did wish that he was home a lot more than a few weeks. Specially now that Christmas was coming up.

The sound of tires on gravel had Blaire scrambling to stand up to look out the window before gasping as her bright blue eyes grew wide and big grin formed on her little face, "DADDY!" And that had Arrow jumping and opening his eyes sleep long forgotten as he sat up and Nina sighed. Now that Arrow was wide awake, Nina followed Blaire to the front door with arrow perched on her hip. The door opened a second later and Ian jumped upon seeing his wife and two out three children at the front door. A smile soon graced his features and crouched down to pick Blaire up who held her arms towards him.

"If this is the welcome back home greeting every time I come back then I'll be coming back every day" Ian said making Nina chuckle and their kids beam at his words, "have you both been good for mama?"

"Mhm" Blaire nodded giving him a big squeeze around the neck before kissing his cheek.

He and Nina exchanged a kiss of greeting before they headed into the living room each carrying their kids.

"So where's Duncan?" Ian asked

"Sleeping in his crib, this one was just about to sleep when your daughter saw you coming and woke her brother" Nina replied looking at the nodding off toddler in her arms then at Blaire who gave her a sheepish smile, "why don't you go unpack while I put this one down for his nap?"

He nodded and placed Blaire on the ground which in turn had her look up at him with watery eyes and quivering lips, "hey, shh, no need to cry. I'm just going to get my things from the car and come back okay?" He wiped them tears that began to roll down her cheeks but she nodded sniffling. He gave her a kiss on the forehead before standing up and walking back outside and just as Blaire began to cry, Ian walked back inside carrying his suitcase that he placed down by the front door.

"Daddy" Blaire whimpered holding her arms up and Ian smiled picking her back up and she laid her head on his shoulder and he rubbed her back to stop her from crying. Nina gave him a small smile as she bounced Arrow in her arms to get him to sleep.

"She hasn't had her nap yet that's why she's clingy" Nina said and Ian nodded in understanding since he knew how she was whenever she was tired and hadn't her nap or when she doesn't get enough sleep, "also because she's been waiting for you"

"Well I'd be the same if I were her" Ian said already feeling Blaire falling asleep on his shoulder, "Come on then, let's go lay these two down"

******
"Alright, shall we start decorating the house?" Ian asked after Blaire and Arrow had woken from their nap and they squealed making him and Nina smile at their enthusiasm, "I'll take that as a yes"

And so that's exactly what they did once they had eaten their late lunch. Ian had gone to the garage to collect the ornaments and Christmas tree while Nina got the kids ready.

For the next couple of hours—with breaks for dinner—the Somerhalder family spent their time decorating their Christmas tree and house with Christmas lights and ornaments before deciding to call it a night and headed to bed.