Thunder battles

(Amanda's pov)

We left Rivendell at first light and headed up to the wilderness.

"Balin! You know these parts, lead on" Thorin said patting the old dwarfs back. I saw him look at Fiona longingly, what happened between those two after the pond incident?

She never told me and remained with Bofur. I avoided Kili...I still don't know what to feel after he kissed me...don't get me wrong it was wonderful....but I just didn't know how to deal with it....

"Master baggins! I suggest you keep up!" Thorin called to Bilbo who was looking back at Rivendell. I felt bad for the little guys he was really home sick.

Home...I haven't thought about that for a while...it made me realise how much I missed my dad, my dog...everyone...

"Everything alright Amanda?" Dwalin asked.

"Yeah I'm ok don't worry. You can't be the only tough nut around here!" I joked. He gave me a playful shove and kept me in a one armed hug for a while...

(Fiona pov)

Kiba rubbed his head against my arm, noticing my upset mood. I smiled weakly at him as we walked through the woods away from Rivendell. I couldn't stop thinking about Thorins kiss. It was a feeling I've never felt before. Sure I have dated before but I've never felt a spark, that feeling when your in love...but I guard my heart so much...I love Thorin but I'm afraid...

I could see Kili look at Amanda longingly from behind. I wonder what happened between him and her after the pond incident.

Then I noticed Amanda had a sad look in her eyes as well as Bilbo. I knew he was missing home.

You know I haven't thought of home up until now...I really miss my family. It's so strange not being around them so much. I wrapped my arms around myself and sighed

"You alright lass?" Bofur asked in concern. I nodded towards him "yeah don't worry..." I mumbled. He gave me a sympathetic smile and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. I laid my head on his shoulder.

He really knows when I need him...

Normal pov

Days turned to weeks the further the company travelled. Through the woods, over the mountains and beyond the horizon. It was a tiring journey for most, but Kiba happily gave a small ride for anyone who was tired and needed to rest their feet.

As they neared the misty mountains, dark clouds began to roll in and it grew concern in Fiona. She knew all to well that her friend was terrified of thunder and lightning and only hoped she would pull through.

"All of you be careful on the rocks! It'll be a long way down if you slip" Balin warned. Everyone heeded his warning and began the treck up the mountain. Kiba was able to shrink down to a small size and jump into Fiona's bag.

The higher they climbed the heavier the rain got and the harsher the wind blew. Thunder and lightning lit the sky.

"Hold on!" Thorin called from the front. He turned to check on everyone but found Amanda frozen solid in fear. He was surprised that her face was so white. Her eyes wide with fright. When thunder struck again she flinched and would not move. Fiona who was behind her noticed her distress and tightly held her hand "Amanda I know you are terrified right now but we have to keep moving". She said in her ear.

Slowly Amanda nodded and shuffled forward with Fiona encouraging her from behind.

Bilbo suddenly slipped and almost fell until he was pulled back by Dwalin on time.

"We must find shelter!" Thorin grunted out.

"Look out!"

Everyone yelled as a rock came flying towards them. They pressed themselves against the walls to avoid the rocks tumbling down "the ledgends are true! Giants! Stone giants!" Bofur yelped.

The ground suddenly began to split apart and without thinking Fiona shoved Amanda into Kili as half the group were separated. She gripped the wall in fear as they were moved away from the others and headed towards the mountain.

"FIONA!!!" Amanda screamed

(Thorin pov)

I watched in cold stone fear as half the group crashed into the mountain "NOOOO! FIONA!!!" I cried running to the corner. As soon as I got there I let out a sigh of relief, everyone was alright including Fiona. She was hanging upside down on a rock "help!" She yelped.

"We're alright we're alive!" Balin yelled as he and Bofur helped her down. I sighed again in relief

"Where's bilbo!? Where's our hobbit!?" Bofur yelled. We found him hanging on the edge of the cliff. Fiona ran to the edge and grabbed his hand with Ori "get him up!" Dwalin yelled. I jumped to an edge and lifted him back up but I slipped. Dwalin grabbed me and I felt another hand grab me. I looked up, seeing it was Amanda. She and Dwalin managed to get me back up. Dam that hobbit!

"I thought we lost our burglar" Dwalin grumbled. I stood up and glared at the hobbit "he's been lost ever since he left home. He should never have come" I growled. Bofur found a cave so everyone got in.

"No fires in this place. Get some sleep, we leave at first light" I ordered.

"We are supposed to wait for Gandalf" Balin intervened. I looked at him. "Plans change...Bofur, you take first watch" I said.

He nodded and sat down as the others settled down. I looked over at Fiona who was shivering slightly. I made my way over and sat next to her.

"Amanda has a fear of thunder doesn't she?" I asked quietly. Fiona nodded quietly, keeping her eyes to the ground. I grumbled and nodded "I will keep that in mind next time we run into a storm" I said to her. She nodded then buried her face in her knees ignoring me "Fiona....whatever I did back in Rivendell...even that kiss. I am sorry" i whispered

"It's not your fault I just got....scared...when you kissed me" she admitted.

"Why?" He asked gently. Fiona looked away from him "it's just that...I find it hard to open my heart. I have guarded it like a diamond for a long time but only had it hurt again and again...I just...don't want it broke again" she whispered turning away. Thorin sighed and stood, not wanting to bother her further. He knew there was something more to it and intended to find out what it was. He knew she had feelings for him and would do anything to convince her he would keep her heart safe....

"Amanda....can we talk?" Kili asked softly to the brunette. Amanda glanced up and sighed with a nod

"That day...when I...you know". He said nervously as he sat next to her. "Yeah..." Amanda mumbled.

"Why did you flee?...reject me?" He asked almost hurt.

"It's hard to explain Kili" Amanda said.

"How? I just..." Kili began but Amanda interrupted him "Kili...I do like you but it wouldn't work between us" she said bitterly. Kili looked hurt "but..." He began

"It's complicated Kili. There are alit of thing you won't understand about me or Fiona...I'm sorry" she whispered, turning away from him. Kili sighed and turned from her. He felt hurt but he still wanted to protect her. So he fell asleep beside her, determined to find out the complications and fix everything...

When a clap of thunder sounded he heard Amanda gasp and curl herself into a ball.

'Is she afraid of thunder?' He wondered.

When another clap sounded he heard her muffle a scream and saw her bite her arm to stop it from coming out. Slowly he shuffled forward and laid a hand on her shoulder "come here" he whispered. Amanda was hesitant but she slowly turned to face him "I know you just told me all that, but no matter what I will protect you" he whispered.

BANG

Amanda gasped and began taking a panic attack so Kili quickly pulled her to him and held her close "shh sh sh it's ok" he whispered as he heard her silently cry...