Mysteries revealed

Amanda kept her head in her hands as she sat in the room she was given. She couldn't help but shake and worry about her friend.

"Amanda?"

Amanda looked up into the kind eyes of Kili "are you alright?" He asked quietly. Amanda smiled almost forced "I should say I am. But I'm not..." She admitted. Kili sat next to her and wrapped his arm around her "Elronds going to heal her. She's going to be alright" he reassured her

"I know but...I just often worry about her so much I mean. We've been stuck together for so long and I care about her a lot." She whispered

"I know, I see it all the time, she cares about you too..." He whispered. He saw a tear fall from her cheek and wiped it away "don't cry" he begged quietly. Amanda looked up to him and gazed into his caring eyes. She laid her forehead on his chest "thank you...I....I didn't want to be alone" she said.

"I'll never leave you alone Amanda. I'll always be there for you" Kili said, brushing her hair with his hand. Amanda nodded and remained silent. Kili laced his fingers with hers and held her hand tightly, and remained with her...

In the healing room, Thorin sat by Fiona's bedside, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb "Fiona....if you can hear me, please wake up. The company are worried...Amanda's even more worried....I am as well...I'm so sorry. I promised myself I'd protect you...but I failed..." He whispered regretfully.

"You deserve someone who can take care of you and keep you safe. Not like me..." He said further. He leaned his elbow on the bed and laid his tired face into his hand.

He didn't notice that Fiona stirred and opened her eyes. She moved her eyes over to Thorin and felt her heart jump, and her stomach twist in knots. She had vaguely heard what he had said....slowly she raised her hand and ran it over his hair "you haven't failed..." She croaked.

Thorin snapped his head up "oh thank mahal" he sighed in relief whilst grabbing her hand. Fiona lightly laughed but let out a cough. Thorin sat her up and gave her some water "where are we?" She asked after she finished her water.

"Rivendell...you were hit by an arrow but lord Elrond saved you" Thorin explained gently. He hadn't realised that he was still holding her hand.

Fiona smiled "I'm glad everyone's ok" she whispered. Thorin chuckled "always worrying about us before yourself" he said.

"I often do...I want to protect those close to me" she said. Thorin felt his heart lighten but he frowned at her "Fiona...you scared me back there I have to admit. You and...mahal I hate to admit, Amanda are very precious assets to my company...and...and I care a great deal about you. Promise me you won't do that again and risk your life" he begged lightly.

Fiona only smiled "I can't make any promises...could you go get Amanda?" She asked. Thorin nodded and stood. He patted her shoulder and left to fetch Amanda.

Soon Amanda had rushed into the room, hugging the life out of Fiona "you stupid bitch I am going to kill you if you ever do that again!" She cried.

"Sorry Amanda" Fiona said as Amanda pulled away. Fiona suddenly became serious "Amanda. Have you noticed nothing different about yourself lately?" She suddenly asked. Amanda rose an eyebrow "yeah...kind of...we all clearly saw your change! You ran so fast out on that field the orcs couldn't catch you!" She explained

"Just like the first day we came. My senses and agility are heightened too. Sight, smell and sound, and I can leap really far....Anything happen to you?" Fiona asked. Amanda began to think " the trolls put my legs over the fire and it tickled...didn't hurt at all" she mumbled

"And your strength has went up since you took down a Warg and an Orc with me" Fiona reminded her.

"Yeah and that egg burned you, but not me, and I've noticed recently that my sights went brilliant too!...what is happening to us?" Amanda wondered.

" no idea..." Fiona mumbled. Kiba padded in and jumped onto Fiona's bed.

" Kiba how'd you get so big?" Amanda asked as she stroked his head. He was the size of an adult wolf which was strange, considering he was smaller earlier. But out on the field he had been the size of a wolf three times as big as a normal one....

This reminded Amanda about the egg. She reached in and took out the hot egg and inspected it. Suddenly it cracked.making her shriek in fright and drop it on the floor. The girls watched cautiously as it cracked fully and something squeaked. They gasped when a little head of red feathers peeked out from the protection of it's shell.

"Oh my god..." Fiona whispered as it stepped out and shook it's feathers. It spotted Amanda and squealed. It flew up and landed on her lap

"Oh wow, she's beautiful" Amanda said in awe as she stroked the birds feathers. Suddenly it sneezed out some fire making the girls squeal. Slowly they looked at each other, then back down to the bird "it's a Phoenix"Fiona said in realisation.

"Like our pendants....oh my god the pendants! Why didn't I see that before!?" Amanda cursed before looking at her pendant. Fiona looked at hers as well "are we like your bonding elves in your story? We bond with animals?" Fiona asked.

"Something like that. Oh wow I can't believe this". Amanda whispered

"Does your new friend have a name Amanda?" Gandalf asked as he entered the room.

"Primrose...yeah primrose...Gandalf do you have an explanation for this happening to us?" Amanda asked

"Hmmm I might...your pendants resemble the animals that you have taken under your wing... not to mention the new skills you have...it may have something to do with an old folks tale." He mumbled

"An old folks tale?" Amanda asked

"Yes my dear, you see...A long time ago, two unlikely creatures came together as friends. Fighting side by side against enemies. It was a great white wolf, belonging to a clan of wolves that were large enough to ride but were as fast as any other animal, and a bird that would bring a rain of fire and heal the injured dubbed a Phoenix. Upon the clans extinction due to the chaousit was said the spirits of these two creatures would find their way back together...this might be it but it's not...fully happened" he explained

"Woah..." Amanda said.

"I guess it WAS fate when we met" Fiona smiled. Amanda smiled back.

"I'll leave you two to chat. We are having dinner upstairs. I'm sure everyone will want to see you" Gandalf spoke before leaving them in private.

Fiona and Amanda smiled at each other "two earthbound spirits destined to be friends forever." Amanda said.

"Yeah. I'm glad we met...and I'm glad your here with me" Fiona said. Amanda hugged her "touché. Now! Let's go see everyone! I'm starving!"

"But it's only greens..." Fiona said in disgust. Amanda laughed "I'm sure we can give Bombur the puppy eyes for some sausages later" she said while helping Fiona out of bed.

"Hey, there's no scar" Fiona noticed when she looked at her hip. She glanced at her hand "and my blisters are gone from the burn" she mumbled.

"Now that's strange..." Amanda said with a quirked eyebrow. She gasped when Fiona cut her hand with a knife "Fiona! Why did...."

She paused when Fiona's hand began to heal on it's own earning a shocked look from Fiona "woah" she whispered.

Amanda took the knife from her and tried a tiny cut herself and found it healed as well.

"This just keeps getting stranger and stranger" she mumbled...