prologue

It was no secret to Harry that Louis was moving away. He overheard the hushed whispers of his parents and their friends. Gem comforted him and told him it was going to be okay.

But how okay could it be? His best friend was moving away and there was nothing the two could do. They'd been attached at the hip since the rightful age of five and a half. Louis only being two months older than Harry.

Harry sat in the back garden under the spring sun. Twirling around a daisy in his small dainty fingertips. "Hazza? Are you back here?" Harry sits up in the grass. "I'm in the back LouLou." The gate clicks open and in skips Louis. In his normal attire. Stripped white shirt and red jeans.

"Hi Haz." He smiled momentarily. Until he remembered what day it was. Tuesday. For him Tuesdays consisted of school and playing with Louis after. This Tuesday was different. It was the second day of their spring break. But, it also happened to be the day Louis' family moved to Doncaster. Away from Holmes Chapel. Away from Harry.

Louis sits criss cross on the grass next to Harry. "You promised you'd never leave." Harry sobs. Louis pulls Harry in for a hug. "We're only eight Harry. We'll see each other again. I promise."

Harry pulls his face up from Louis' chest. "You promise?" Louis nods. "I promise." They interlock pinkies and sit silently for a few moments.

"I want you to keep this." Louis pulls out a paper airplane necklace from his pocket. "But Lou. This is yours." Louis hold his hand up. Harry sighs and turns so Louis can clip it on. "Looks much better on you." Harrys cheeks flush red and he smiles. Louis looks down at his feet while a smile plays on his lips.

"Louis. Honey. Come along now. Tell Harry goodbye." Mrs.Jay speaks from the gardens gate. Louis pulls Harry up to his feet for a hug. "Goodbye Harry. I promise I'll use mums phone to call." Harry wipes away the tears bubbling up in his eyes. "Okay LouLou. Goodbye." He takes in Louis' scent one more time.

Louis runs to the gate into his mums arms. Both of them waving as they exit the garden. Harry pulls his knees up and rests his chin upon them. It thunders but he makes no move to leave his resting place on the ground.

"Harry! Get in this house! Mum and Robin will kill me if you get sick!" Gem calls from the patio. Harry stands up slowly and trudges up to the house.

"What's the matter with you?" Gem freaks once they enter the kitchen. "Lou left today." Harry pours a glass of juice. No sense of emotion in his words or on his face. Gem sighs and pulls him in for a hug. "These things happen Har. We don't always have the same friends throughout life." He nods along quickly.

"I love you." Gemma calls as he walks up the stairs. He nods brushing the words off slowly. Louis said the same things. He left. It's only a matter of time before Gemma does too.

~nine years later~

It's been nine years since Louis left Harry. No more phone calls. No more visits. No more letters. 

He still has the paper airplane necklace from when they were younger.

He watches the moving van pull up to the house next door. "I can't believe Johannah is moving back." His mother freaks from the family room. Harry's eyes go wide.

If Johannah is coming back. That means Louis is coming back. Harry darts up the stairs.

Harry face plants his bed. He thought he'd never see him again. After his last visit when they were ten and he never came again.

Harry has a pang of excitement shoot through him. Laced with nervousness.

He loves Louis. He always has. It's just that what if the older boy doesn't feel the same anymore.