Cliché || H.S.

By cherryxxo

Lilian O'Brien has learned three things since becoming one of Hollywood's hottest actresses: 1. Don't give pe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 46

14K 289 278
By cherryxxo

Fall in California is fairly underwhelming. Everyone who designates fall as their favorite season has a true experience; cool weather, colorful leaves, some sort of precipitation falling from the sky. Autumn in California is basically the same as summer, maybe a few degrees cooler with a breeze.

Not to mention the fact that I grew up in Arizona where summer actually extends through November. In college it was the sorority girl's dream on Halloween. You never had to worry about being cold in your slutty costume because it was nearly one hundred degrees anyways. My point is, I never understood the hype of fall and why everyone was so obsessed with it.

Winding through the streets on the way to Harry's London home, I think I finally understand the craze. The trees lining the road are a mosaic, each leaf a different color. The air is thick and cold, a steady rain hitting the windows of the car. It makes me want to do nothing more than curl up in a nook with a good book and a cup of tea. It's a shame I'm technically here on business.

When we pull up to the large French style house, Harry thanks the driver before insisting on carrying both of our bags up towards the front door. I take in the expansive garden, the vines growing up the side of the house. I'm no stranger to luxury, but this place seriously looks straight out of a movie.

As expected, the inside is just as perfect. Even for such a large space, the house feels homey, and Harry already seems much more at ease. He looks like he belongs here, the mix of neutral furniture with colorful pillows and art. I follow him up to his bedroom where he sets down our bags and opens the yellow curtains to let in the afternoon light.

I sneak up behind him and wrap my arms around his torso, pressing my lips to his shoulder blade. I rest my head on his back as he looks out over his garden. "It's lovely here," I say honestly, pulling away so I can look at the view.

"The house or the city?" Harry asks, slinging an arm over my shoulder. I tuck myself under his arm as his hand runs up and down mine, giving me chills.

"Both. The house is gorgeous but London is something else. I've only ever been here in the summer for about a day at time, I've never felt like I had time to appreciate it," I hum, "But I think it might also be better this time because you're with me."

I reach up to kiss his cheek and once I do, he turns his head to give me one long kiss. "Can I ask you something?" I request softly, rubbing my hand in slow circles on his back.

"Of course you can," Harry responds confidently. I look up at his face, seeing the contentment there.

"Why LA? Obviously I love that you're there, but this is clearly your home."

Harry thinks for a moment before pulling me down to sit next to him on his large bed, "I guess it just makes more sense for me to be there. The record label is based out there and a lot of the friends I've made. And besides, you're there too which helps."

I nod my head and lay it down on his shoulders, playing with the ring on his finger, "Would you ever consider moving back here?"

We haven't had this conversation before, but suddenly I feel incredibly selfish. This is his home, this is where his family is, and yet all I've been focused on is the fact that he's just a short walk away. What if he isn't actually happy there?

"I think I would maybe," Harry concedes, "I guess I can't ever see myself not doing something with music but I also can't see myself being middle aged and still touring. So maybe when everything winds down I would want to. But I wouldn't go anywhere unless you're coming with me."

I don't respond, but instead absorb his words. Would I be okay with leaving my family and friends to be here? Although other factors led him there, in a way Harry made that sacrifice for me, and it would be selfish of me not to do the same. I guess when the time came though Harry would be my family, and that should be enough.

"Don't stress yourself out, love," Harry chuckles, running his painted fingers through my hair, "That's a long ways away. Now come on, we should get ready to go to my mum's."

I change out of my leggings and pull on a pair of jeans with one of Harry's vintage Rolling Stones t-shirts, tucking the front into my hands before pulling on my leather jacket and a pair of white sneakers. I brush through my hair and apply some light makeup. I feel my hand shaking slightly as I put on my mascara, my nerves getting the best of me. I really just want Anne to like me.

Once I finish, I follow Harry into the garage, walking towards the passenger side of his black Range Rover. "Are you driving?" Harry asks, an amused tone lacing his voice. I look at him quizzically, pulling open the car door.

"Obviously no-" I pause mid sentence as I catch myself before climbing into the seat. In front of me is a steering wheel and I clearly understand my mistake. Why can Europeans not just drive on the right side of the road?

"That's it," I say, shutting the driver's side door, "This is already starting off on the wrong foot. I'm just gonna head back inside, you enjoy dinner and wake me up when I'm not an idiot."

Harry lets out a laugh, intercepting me by grabbing my shoulders, "Ahh come on, it's an easy mistake. Get in the car." He steers me in the right direction and I feel my stomach knot up further as I climb into the real passenger seat. I've met Anne on FaceTime plenty of times, but for some reason the thought of seeing her in person has me acting like a mess.

Harry holds my hand the entire drive through town until we pull up to a house much smaller than Harry's. I follow him up the stone path and he leads us straight through the front door. The first thing I notice is the scent. The house smells like a mix of laundry detergent, fall candles, and food. It makes me miss my own mom, a similar comfort permeating the space.

"Oh my goodness! I didn't hear you come in!" Anne shouts as we enter the kitchen. She goes to Harry first, wrapping him in a large hug which he returns with equal enthusiasm.

"Oh and Lilian," she says as she pulls back, coming to me next. I expect the hug to be quick, more common curtesy than anything, but it's more genuine and loving than I expected from a first introduction.

"It's nice to finally meet you in person," I say as she pulls away, inspecting Harry and I both.

"You are just absolutely darling," she compliments, pressing a hand to my cheek, "and look at your skin! You are just an absolute doll." I blush at her compliment, thanking her before we head deeper into the kitchen.

"Can I help you with anything?" I offer, watching as Anne begins adding vegetables into a large salad bowl. She gets a soft smile on her face that reminds me of Harry, an identical dimple in her cheek.

"I think I'm all settled here, you just make yourself comfortable. Gemma should be here any minute now and we can get started. Harry dear, do you mind setting the table?"

Harry stands immediately from the kitchen table and presses a kiss to his mom's cheek before going to a drawer to grab silverware. I know Anne told me to make myself comfortable, but instead I begin setting the table with him, following his lead.

As I begin setting plates onto the place mats, footsteps catch my attention as Gemma strides into the room. "Harry!" She exclaims, moving to her brother and wrapping him in a hug.

"Haz, it's her first time here and you've already got her doing labor? I thought you were more of a gentleman than that," she reprimands, "Lilian, it's good to see you as always."

Gemma gives me a hug and an air kiss before stepping aside to pull off her jacket. "Dinner's nearly done so I told her she didn't need to do more than make herself comfortable, but I can always appreciate an extra set of hands," Anne speaks up from across the kitchen.

"Wow H, you're moving up in the world. First time bringing a girl home who offers to help and the first time bringing someone who actually follows through. I'm proud of you," Gemma offends, settling into one of the seats. I know Harry isn't known for having impeccable taste in the past, but the fact that they lack basic manners seems a little low.

Harry rolls his eyes as he brings a dish to the table, "I hardly think now is the time to be bringing up ex girlfriends. If we want to even call them that."

Gemma looks at me, stealing a crouton off the top of the salad and popping it into her mouth, "I'm surprised he's held onto you for so long. If I were you I would've been running for the hills years ago."

"Stop being rude to your brother," Anne reprimands, "I'm sure those other girls have a redeeming quality... maybe two on a good day. And if you're not careful, Lilian might be running for the hills because you're the one scaring her off."

Gemma shrugs her shoulders, popping another crouton into her mouth. Anne swats her hand from the bowl and I have to hide my smirk. This entire interaction reminds me so much of my own family and makes me feel much more at ease.

"So, Harry says you're here for a movie premiere?" Anne directs to me as we eat dinner. I finish swallowing my bite and take a sip of wine.

"Yeah, I spent the past two years filming some Marvel movies and the first one premieres tomorrow in London. I figured we would come stay for a little while, I'm always here just for a day or two and have never really seen the city."

"You make it sound like no big deal! Harry was boasting about you being the lead, you must be so excited," Anne praises. I turn to Harry and notice his cheeks turning pink, likely a result of being thrown under the bus.

"I'm very excited but equally nervous," I confide, "This just feels like an entirely new league, being apart of something so big. I want people to love it, but there's also a lot of people in my ear about the responsibility that comes with playing a superhero. Not to mention half my script was blocked out so I don't even know what this movie was about."

Anne nods her head, a sympathetic look in her eyes. Gemma looks up from her plate, setting her fork down, "Okay not quite sure why I'm just now catching this, but when there's talk of you being in the new Black Cat movie it's because you are Black Cat?"

I nod my head, trying to hide the smirk coming to my lips. I think Gemma is equally as bad with her phone as Harry which often leads them to be a bit behind in pop culture. "That's so badass," she compliments.

Anne changes the conversation to Harry's new album, so I just enjoy my food while he talks about music. I could listen to him talk about it for hours. The conversation flows easily, and I like Anne just as much as I thought I would. It's insane how much Harry resembles her beyond just looks. She's kind, funny, honest, and gentle. It's no wonder Harry turned out to be the incredible person that he is.

After dinner, I carry my plate to the sink and before I can offer to help clean up, Harry grabs my hand and pulls me away from the kitchen, "Mum and Gemma can handle the kitchen, I want to show you something before it gets too dark."

We walk outside and into the backyard where rain is just barely falling from the sky. Harry tucks me under his arm and leads us forward through Anne's garden towards a narrow dirt pathway.

"All of this land is ours," Harry explains, "I used to always walk through here when I was younger and needed to clear my head. I guess I still do." I take in the scenery around us, the expansive grass fields, the wilted flowers and auburn trees.

"It's beautiful... peaceful." The only sound for miles are your own thoughts, nothing else to be heard.

"I can tell Mum really loves you," Harry speaks up after a moment of silence, "Gemma too."

"They're really amazing. Sometimes I feel like I know everything about you but after really meeting your mom it all makes sense." I cling tighter to Harry's side as a breeze barrels through, sliding one of my arms up his jacket to try and get warmer, but also to feel closer to him.

"How's that?"

"Well for starters she's genuine and kindhearted, but I can also tell that she doesn't take shit from you, which explains how you're so humble and thoughtful... Levelheaded as well. She just seems like she's a genuinely good person, and you are too."

Harry squeezes me tighter and I cling to him as the path turns back towards the house. "I love hearing nice things about myself but there was a purpose to this. I thought maybe you needed a walk on the path to think."

"About running for the hills like Gemma suggested?" Harry pretends to be upset, pushing me away and scoffing. I giggle at his reaction, wrapping my arms around his torso and giving him a quick kiss.

"I'm kidding, you can't get rid of me that easily." Harry brushes a piece of hair out of my face and leans down to give me one more kiss, this one longer.

"I was thinking more about tomorrow. You're going to look absolutely stunning, and everyone is going to love the movie and it's going to be all anyone talks about. And even though I know you're used to it, you're going to take all that attention in stride and be an amazing example. So stop that brain of yours from stressing out so much and just enjoy it, okay?"

I nod my head, chewing on the inside of my lip, "And what if it's not successful?" It feels like my career just started, I'm not ready for this to be what could ruin it. There's a lot more at stake here than there have been with other projects I've done.

"Then I'll probably have to find a different girlfriend," Harry says solemnly, "She probably won't be as hot but it's what needs to be done."

"Harry!" I shout, pulling away from him. I cross my arms over my chest giving him the side eye.

"Oh, so now you're the only one who can make those jokes?" Harry grabs my arms and uncrosses them, pulling me to a hug. He rests his chin on top of my head as we stand still, his hand running over my hair, "If it doesn't work out the way I know it will, then it doesn't matter. I still love you the same, and millions of others do too. But I'm serious love, stop worrying. Has Marvel ever put out a bad movie? They have so much confidence in you, you need to have that too."

I know that he's right. There are so many other factors going into this, I'm not being set up for failure. "Thank you for making me feel better," I mumble against his chest, "I love you and I know I don't tell you enough."

"I love you too. Now let's get you inside before you catch a cold before your big day."

When we get back inside we visit with Anne for a little while longer before we call it a night. She leads us to the front door and gives Harry a hug first, reminding him to get more sleep, but we all know that's next to impossible. While Harry says goodbye to Gemma, Anne gives me a hug next.

"Thank you," she says quietly, squeezing me tight.

"For what?"

"For being who you are. I haven't seen Harry this happy in a very long time... It makes me feel like I have my son back."

___________

A/N: Eep this chapter came sooner than I expected and I'm going to try my best to upload again in the next couple of days! 

I'm very attached to all of the characters in this book because they're all my little babies but I need to know... who are your favorite characters and who are you the most attached to? Do you actually like Lilian or are you just here for Harry? Pls comment I've been thinking about this all week

Much love you guys are still the best <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 2.8K 17
"Why do you keep pretending you're afraid of me?" He hissed, obvious anger in his eyes. "Because Louis; if I'm not afraid of you I'll...
2.7K 1K 17
There was a lady named Mari Stone but when she was little she was in a car accident when she was about 5 years old. And because of the accident she h...
13.2K 635 42
Harry Styles has it all. He's a famous popstar and he's using his voice to make the world better, which is what he's always wanted. The only thing he...
564K 18K 50
What is Love at first sight? Getting butterflies in your stomach or having your palms sweat buckets? What defines it, and is it even possible to happ...