Serve's Up: Who Do You Choose...

By QueenOfNekoWriters

"I'm so sorry I can't attend your game..." I apologized to Katsuro, coughing quickly afterwards. "It's fine... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter One

446 12 3
By QueenOfNekoWriters

It's hard to believe that after all the rainy days we've had, we're finally seeing some sun. It feels like forever since I've been able to see a clear, bright sunny day. While some may like the rain, I can't say I like it. To me and my brother, it's only preventing us from playing volleyball outside. Since it's summer, we're not allowed to go to the gym and we're apparently too young to use the courts at gyms. I mean, we're already eight years old!

"Did you see the sun?! It's so bright today!"

A smile formed on my face, though a bit bulging since my mouth was full of cereal.

"I know! It's going to be a perfect day to practice!"

For as long as I can remember, my twin brother Katsuro and I have practiced volleyball every chance we can.

My brother and I share a very close connection. We eat together, play together, practice together... I guess you could say we're inseparable.

"I'm afraid you won't be able to practice with Eichi-san until he returns from work. He was called in last-minute. But in the meantime, you can finish your chores so you can practice when he does come home." Mother stated, drying off a plate she had just finished washing.

Katsuro and I groaned in unison.

"But mom-"

Mother quickly turned to us, a soft yet stern expression on her face.

"I know it's hard, but if you finish your chores before three, I may be able to help you out before my meeting..."

This certainly got a fire burning in our hearts.

"Got it!"

Quickly placing our dishes in the sink, we both scurried out of the kitchen to finish our chores. And we may or may not have slipped on the way out...

"Those kids will never change, will they..."

A soft sigh escaped my mother's lips.

"I wonder how they'll react to the news...."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I'm home!"

It wasn't long before Katsuro and I had rushed to the front door, and tackled our father to the floor.

"You ready to help us with our serves?!"

Our father chuckled, barely able to stand up.

"Getting straight to the point, eh?" He questioned as he placed his jacket on the nearby coat rack.

"Come on..." I whined, "We've been waiting all day for you!"

"I guess that's true. Get your shoes on, and we'll head outside."

Sharing the same excited grin, Katsuro and I rushed back to our rooms to get dressed appropriately for practicing for our treasured sport.

"Hey, move out of my way!"

"You pushed me first! Besides, I was here first!"

"Nu-uh!"

"Uh-huh!"

A soft sigh escaped my father's lips as he approached us trying to push past each other to get outside first. I guess it's true our sibling rivalry was unmatched.

"Are you going to come out and practice, or should I go watch that sports channel while I wait for you two to cooperate?"

With a soft smile and a fold of his arms, we could both tell he was in the best mood to practice with.

"We'll cooperate!"

"Yeah, what he said!"

Soon enough, the two of us were outside, both standing at attention. Smiles of excitement had made its way to both of our faces.

"Now, I'm going to show you how to do an underhand serve." Our father stated as he grabbed a nearby volleyball.

Both Katsuro and I could only watch in excitement and anticipation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Wow, that's awesome! I didn't know you could toss a serve like that!"

My eyes couldn't help but sparkle as I tried to do an underhand serve.

Focusing on the serve, I tried to aim it, but it ended up hitting a nearby trash can, which was soon followed by Katsuro's laughter.

"Oh come on! Like you're any better!" I stated, sticking my tongue out afterwards.

"Let me show you how it's done!" Katsuro confidently stated, doing the underhand serve.

... The ball did a beautiful ascent, before falling and hitting the sign which we had used as our target... It was a truly magnificent sight.

"Ha! Told you!"

I pouted, crossing my arms.

"So what? My blocks are better than yours!"

"Nu-uh!"

"Uh-huh!"

"Come on, you two should be working together to improve yourselves. Volleyball is a sport where you work with your teammates to become stronger, as well as make up for your own weaknesses." Our father stated, trying to calm our argument down.

Katsuro sighed.

"I guess you're right... Sorry, (Name)."

"It's alright... Sorry for doubting your skills..."

Our father smiles softly, happy to see us making up.

As we were smiling, the door to the back opened, our mother entering the back patio.

"I know you've been working up a sweat hitting and serving those volleyballs, but it's time for some dinner."

Despite our groans, it was clear the three of us were hungry.

"Go freshen up. I'll have the table set for you by the time you get finished."

"You heard her, go get freshen up."

"Come on, five more minutes!" I pleaded.

But the expressions on our parents stated that they wouldn't change their minds.

"Fine...." I groaned, heading inside with Katsuro.

It didn't take long before we were at the dinner table, the freshly prepared dinner steaming with the alluring aroma to make our mouths water.

"Before we eat, I want to present some good news I received today." My mother stated, resulting in my groans.

"You should be more respectful to your mother." My father stated.

"Yeah, be more respectful (Name)-chan!"

I stuck my tongue out at Katsuro.

"Children..."

With that one word, we were quickly shut up.

"Anyway..." Mother coughed softly, "I have received news from Katsuro's volleyball team, stating that they will be attending a Boy's Volleyball Summer Tournament."

A smile quickly made its way to my brother's face.

"Yes! I can't wait! I can't wait!" Katsuro happily cheered.

While I was happy for my brother...

"What about my team...?"

A frown softly made its way to my mother's face.

"I'm so sorry, but it seems like your team wasn't able to join the Girl's Division."

"What?! That's so unfair!" I whined.

"Ha! In your face!" Katsuro teased.

"Katsuro..."

"Sorry Dad...."

This was so unfair... How dare he get into a competition and I don't!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I'm so sorry I can't attend your game..." I apologized to Katsuro, coughs quickly following afterwards.

"It's fine (Name). You can't control when you get sick. Just make sure to watch me from home, okay?"

I smiled softly, giving a large thumbs up.

"Of course-"

I cut myself off by coughing.

"Don't worry (Name), Katsuro understands. Come on buddy, we're going to be late if we don't hurry."

"Coming dad!"

Grabbing his nearby sports bag, Katsuro hurried out the front door with our dad.

After the Summer Tournament had started, Katsuro had been very busy with games and practices. While I was obviously jealous, it was exciting to see Katsuro's team make it to the finals.

"Come on (Name), let's get you on the couch. I'll make sure some soup's ready so you can eat it as we watch your brother's game." My mother assured me as she led me to the couch.

"He better win..." I weakly stated, lying down on the couch all pathetic-like.

"Don't worry, I'm sure he will. I'll be right back."

He better win... He has to win...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I can't believe it... Katsuro lost.

Both teams had claimed one set, and the final score was '23-25'. Even if it was a close game... Katsuro promised he'd win!

"I know it's frustrating to see your brother lose, but think about how he feels. He must be devastated."

Soon after saying that, Mother received a phone call, and excused herself.

As such, I was left to collect my thoughts. I was too sick to go do anything else anyway...

He didn't mean to lose... He did his best... I should be supportive...

Crash!

I was brought back to reality by the sound of what sounded like glass breaking. Hurriedly rushing to the source of the sound, I found my mother near a mug whose broken pieces were now scattered across the floor. But that wasn't even the most shocking thing to see. In addition to the now-broken mug, tears were streaming down her face.

Now, my mother has cried before, but she had never been like this. She looked like... Her heart had been broken...

After some time, I managed to speak, though it was quiet due to my sickness.

"What happened?"

It took many minutes for my mother to answer, as many of her attempts were snuffed out by her sobs.

"Your father and brother were heading home... When they got into a car crash... your brother... Katsuro... Is dead."

My blood went cold at this, as I found myself at a loss for words. Goosebumps formed on my arms, and I found myself crying just like my mother had.

And from that day forward, I would become a twinless - twin.

Hello and welcome to my first Haikyuu!! story. After binging the anime and basically dying for the next season, I knew I'd have to write something about this wonderful show. As Tsukishima is my favorite character, I knew I'd want to write about him. But I felt like I wanted to have another character in it, so I added the cinnamon roll Tadashi Yamaguchi in. If you have any questions/concerns, feel free to contact me. As with anything else I've worked on, I hope you enjoy this little project of mine. Stay wonderful and safe due to COVID-19! =^-^=

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

278K 5.9K 42
On one hand, it would be nice to be a part of something, especially with your best friends. You would gain new friends and make high school memories...
206K 5.3K 47
"𝗜𝗠 𝗦𝗨𝗖𝗛 𝗔 𝗕𝗨𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗡" [l/n] [f/n] moves to Miyagi and leaves her old life in America. She will be attending Karasuno as a first-year studen...
385K 19.8K 85
Sasaki Corp was one of the biggest conglomerates originating in Japan, the responsibilities of which had to soon delegated since their beloved chairm...
22.1K 386 26
It's your first day of school at Fukurodani while its months into the school year. You recently moved from Miyagi Prefecture to Tokyo because of bein...