Chapter Twelve

Reader

"Guys, I have big news!"

Halting our practice, we all turned to Mr. Takeda, who seemed out of breath as he stopped to catch his breath.

"What is it?! Is it another practice match with Nekoma?" Kageyama questioned.

"It's something better." Mr. Takeda stated, finally regaining his breath, "Nekoma has invited us to join a summer camp with the Fukurōdani Academy Group. We'll be able to practice with various schools from the Kanto Region!"

Almost immediately, everyone was ecstatic, talking about how great it would be to practice and such. And while I wouldn't be able to play, I couldn't deny that I was just as excited. Being able to see other schools and their playing style... I wondered just how much I could show off my coaching skills.

"When will we be heading for the camp?" Daichi questioned, seeming to be one of the more rational ones amongst the excitement.

"Two weeks. Until then, let's work on honing our skills so we can show the other schools what we're made of."

"Yeah!" Everyone shouted in response, their energy levels rising with their excitement.

As everyone went back to their practicing, I could feel a couple coughs forming, and had to excuse myself from the gym as the coughs wouldn't stop. Was I getting sick? I didn't feel weak or anything. It's probably nothing...

Shaking off my worries, I headed back into the gym to continue working as an assistant coach when the coughs finally died down.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I don't care how badly you want to go to school. You're obviously sick!"

Despite wanting to argue back, I knew my mother was right. I was sick, and there wasn't anything I could do to convince anyone otherwise.

"Alright..." I muttered, reaching for my phone, "I'll tell the others that I'm sick.."

Seeming satisfied, my mother turned off the lights on her way out.

"Just try to rest up. You'll get better sooner if you focus on relaxing and resting."

Nodding softly, I watched as my mother exited the room, closing the door from behind her.

I felt bad, as she had taken the day off to be able to watch over me. She had run out of work-from-home assignments, so she couldn't make any progress if she stayed home. But I did hear she was going to be getting a promotion soon, so perhaps that will give her more work...

Opening up my phone, I searched for Daichi's number. I had been given all of the team member's numbers, and I felt like contacting the captain would be most appropriate.

"I won't be able to make the practice today. Sick. Sorry. I'll be back when I feel better."

A simple and straight to the point text, I felt confident as I sent it. Now all I need to do is get some rest.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tadashi

As Tsukki and I were heading to the gym for our practice as usual, I couldn't help but feel worried. (Name) hadn't shown up all day, so I ended up wondering if something had happened.

"Hey Yamaguchi!"

Turning, I saw Hinata running up to me as I was changing my shoes.

"Hello Hinata-san."