Chapter Two

"I'm heading out to Nekoma High. They're doing a practice match, and they requested my presence. I'll be back by midnight." I called out as I was putting on my running shoes.

If I'm lucky, I'll make the bus and not have to run to catch up with it...

"Wait a second!"

Soon enough, my mother was handing me a bento dinner.

"You're going to need this. Please just make sure you don't overexert yourself, (Name)."

I smiled softly.

"Don't worry, I won't. And remember, I'm Katsuro!"

My mother sighed softly, shaking her head softly.

"Alright..."

Giving my mother a soft hug, I picked up my sports bag.

"Make sure to eat dinner."

"I will."

"Don't keep playing if you get hurt-"

"I will."

"And-"

"I'll be fine, mom!"

With a soft smile, I exited the house, sprinting as soon as the door was closed. The wind seemed to rush past me, in addition to the buildings and people surrounding me.

It's been a while since my mother called me (Name). I had almost forgotten I was called that...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"You can't be serious! (Name), why would you suggest something so ridiculous!"

I knew my mother was hurt, but I needed to do this... For the both of us.

"It's alright. I'll be fine. We've already lost Katsuro, and now Father as well... If I can't cheer you up, how can I call myself your child?!"

"But asking me to report you dead... In addition to claiming you as an adopted child... and naming you Katsuro after your late brother... (Name), do you need therapy?"

I understood the concern my mother held, as well as the heartbreak she had.

We were all alone now, just the two of us. She had left her family to be with my father, and with the strictness of her family, she had no one to return to...

"Please, let me do this. You need a strong man to be in your life. Your job is placing too much pressure on you to handle this alone. Besides... Katsuro deserves to live his dream... To have his last moment not be remembered as losing an important game..."

Based on the expression on my mother's face, it was clear she was giving in.

"Alright... thank you... Katsuro..."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I made it...

With a pant escaping every now and then, I entered the school, making my way to the gym.

"Sorry, am I late?" I questioned, adjusting my voice to be my 'male voice'.

It took some time, but now I'm able to use a convincing male's voice on demand. It's gotten to the point where I sometimes forget what my normal voice sounds like. It can be a pain, but I make sure to drink plenty of water to keep my throat hydrated.

"Nah, you're just in time. Glad you could make it."

A soft sigh of relief escaped my lips as I walked up to the captain of the Nekoma Boy's Volleyball team: Tetsuro Kuroo.