Chapter Six

"Did you hear? (Last Name) finally decided on a team to join."

"Karasuno High, right? Why would he pick some small-time team like them?"

"Perhaps Karasuno has some good players? I might go watch them when the tournament starts."

I was used to these conversations people had... As it had almost become infamous; the debate on whose team I would join. Most people had betted on Aoba Johsai or even the great team from Shiratorizawa. It's understandable why they would be confused.

I've even been asked why I go from school to school instead of just transferring. Well, to be honest, I would transfer... Except that this school provides excellent academic programs, as well as being close enough to home so I can get prepared for my next volleyball practice without worrying about someone seeing me changing.

... Won't make that mistake again...

"Hey, Katsuro!"

I turned to see a friend of mine, Kasha Kin.

"Hey Kin-san. Did your test go well?" I questioned.

"Nah, I totally blew it. My parents are going to kill me... Anyway, I heard that you chose Karasuno to go with for the tournament. I'm sure I'm not the only one confused with that decision."

I sighed, getting tired of this response.

"I guess I get where you're coming from. But from a team that has no sports team, what does it matter what team I join?"

Kasha chuckled softly.

"I suppose that's true. Just make sure you don't forget about your buds here."

With grins on our face, we exchanged a friendly high-five.

"I wouldn't dream of it."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's been a few weeks since I started practicing with Karasuno's team. Even though the circumstances surrounding my joining were... less than ideal... It turns out the team is a fun bunch.... Even though they can become a bit crazy at times...

But these are high school boys, so I can't really expect them to be anything else.

But if I'm being honest, the thing I find most confusing is how Tsukishima's been treating me. He's acting completely indifferent... And it seems like he intends to keep up his part of the deal. So far, anyway...

Despite that annoyance, I've made friends with all the other team members. They decided I'd work on mainly being a wing spiker, working with Kageyama and Sugawara to be able to participate in the full-team attacks, as well as helping our coordination with the attacks. Though they have also had me work with Nishinoya, in a case where he became injured or suddenly became ill. In that case, they would need me to participate as a last-minute libero.

"Everyone, hustle up!" Coach Ukai shouted, ushering for us to come sit down on the floor.

Not the best for my back, but I can't go out and say 'Hey, can I sit in a chair? My boobs cause my back to hurt if I don't sit with good posture?'. As such, I just had to do my best to sit upright.

"We've received the results for our first opponent who we'll be competing against. Your team managers have compiled all the information they could, so make sure to study and memorize them before the match!"

"Yes sir!"

Coach Ukai truly had a way to get all of us pumped up. Not that I'm complaining.

Naturally though, we had to go through all the information for strategies and such... Which took a while... At one point, I checked my phone to see that it was way past the time for the last bus to come by. As my house wasn't especially close to the school, I had made it a habit of taking the bus home. But it doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that tonight.

"Let's clean up and then head home. Make sure to get plenty of rest, for the day after tomorrow is the match! I want all of you to be completely rested when the match comes. As such, there's no practice tomorrow."

"Yes sir!"

As such, I was cleaning up; just like the others. But as I was doing so, Kiyoko approached me.

"Here. It's your uniform."

After handing said uniform to me, she simply walked off. Even though she's a quieter person, it's easy to see she cares deeply about this club, and is more than eager to see this team succeed.

"Thank you!"

Hurrying to my stuff, I placed the uniform inside, zipping it up after doing so.

As everyone was finishing up, I headed out the door, at that moment realizing just how dark it had become.

"Hey, wait!"

Turning back towards the gym, I saw Tadashi rushing up towards me.

"Oh, hey Yamaguchi-san. Is there something I can do for you?"

Taking a second to catch his breath, Tadashi shook his head.

"If it's alright, I'd like to walk home with you. Tsukki said he wanted to walk home alone, and if I'm being honest... I'm scared to walk home alone this late at night."

...

... If I wasn't pretending to be a guy, I'd be quick to say how cute and precious this boy was being.

Of course, I've known for a long time that until I achieve Katsuro's dream I can't crush on anyone. If I began to date someone, and they realized my true gender, it would be a disaster, quick to ruin everything I've worked for. Sure, I could find someone to date, but I'd rather focus on my dream and save romance for later.

But sometimes, the heart wants what it wants...

And I'd be damned if I said Tadashi wasn't an absolute sweetheart.

"Oh, sure. I don't mind. I probably live a bit of a distance away from your place, but I don't mind walking you home."

Tadashi looked immensely grateful, and... was he tearing up!?

"Thank you so much! I'll make sure to make it up to you later."

I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to do that, but I had a feeling he'd feel worse about this if I did say that.

And so, we began to head to his place. He seemed nervous to bring up conversation, stating how Tsukki always liked to walk in peace.

"Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but does Tsukishima-kun decide everything that happens? Isn't he being a bit selfish to shut you down if he doesn't like what you do?"

Tadashi shook his head softly, not seeming offended at all.

"I can see why you'd think that, but it's not just him being cold. I know you don't believe me, but he can be really considerate... In his own way."

I couldn't help but scoff at that.

"Yeah, right."

Tadashi was about to continue his argument, but quickly realized that we had arrived at his place.

"Thanks for doing this..." He frowns when he sees the time displayed on his phone, "If you'd like, you could stay the night. I feel bad for making you head home this late at night."

Given my current situation, I couldn't accept that. For obvious reasons...

"Thank you for the offer, but I must decline. I should really be going."

Not giving Tadashi time to respond, I ran off. He called out after me once or twice, but I simply ignored them.

Trust me Tadashi, I would take up your offer if I didn't have to worry about keeping my secret.

Perhaps once I achieve Katsuro's dream for him... But not yet.

I can't lose now.