Chapter Eight

Reader

If I was being honest with myself, I'm actually grateful that that time had come a bit early. Because of that, I was able to be fully recovered for our next match against Aoba Johsai High School. And from what I had learned from my various practices with other teams, Aoba Johsai was a truly talented team.

To point out a true foe in the team would be Oikawa. He had a knack for being the team's captain and one of the greatest setters I've ever seen.

"Alright, let's huddle up!"

Huddling up with the rest of the team, Daichi began giving the team a pep talk. But as they were talking, I had to speak up.

"Excuse me, I think something needs to be said."

Everyone glanced towards me.

"Go ahead." Daichi instructed.

"I may not have mentioned it before, but I did do one practice where I was on Aoba Johsai's team. And although we may know that Oikawa is a threat, I must say that his serves are just as terrifying as his sets. His accuracy will most likely improve throughout the game as he gets more shots in. Just something to look out for."

"You heard him, let's make sure to receive those serves and make Karasuno proud!"

"Yeah!"

I must admit that I wonder how they'll deal with his serves... At least they got the heads up.

As I was a new addition per say, I wasn't put in the starting line. Understandable. As such, I was standing with the others who were waiting.

Even without speaking to him, it was easy to see that Yamaguchi was insanely nervous. His knees were shaking, face pale, and he looked like he was going to be sick.

"Listen, I know that it can be tense to watch from the sidelines, since you can't feel like you're doing much. But whether you're on the court or in waiting, you have to do your part. Cheer the others on, celebrate their success and encourage them to pick themselves up from their losses. If you can do that, you'll find that you'll feel less nervous and more into the game."

Even though I had only been talking to Yamaguchi, it seems my motivation speech had gained the attention from everyone in our little waiting area.

"Well, I'll be. Couldn't have said it better myself. Even though you're the newest member, as well as one of the youngest, you're acting like a mom right now."

... How did I end up giving the kind of speech my mother gave me before?! Was that a bit too girly for encouragement!?

"Me...?! Haha... No way. To be honest Sugawara-senpai, you seem more like the mom of the team. You did tell me to 'remember to breathe' when I called in sick."

Sugawara laughed slightly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I suppose that's true. You caught me."

Showing one of his signature smiles, I couldn't help but smile as well.

Although I was worried my plan had failed, it seemed like all of us had calmed down, despite not being in the actual game.

"(Last Name)-san... Thanks for that... I needed to hear that."

Turning to him, I could see that his breathing had calmed down, as well as overall looking much better.

"Don't mention it. Let's just focus on supporting our teammates!"

"Right!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, this isn't good... I knew this would be difficult, but for us to be neck and neck for the final set... Sure, I can't say I would be doing any better, but still...

"Get it Nishinoya!"

"I'm on it! Rolling-"

As he was going for the signature move he had, he slipped on the roll, ending up in missing the ball.

But it was easy to see that it wasn't just his pride that was hurt.

"Nishinoya!"

Everyone -including myself- rushed over to Nishinoya, who couldn't manage to stand on that foot. Coach Ukai had Kiyoko help him to the nurse's office.

"I apologize for having to put you in at such a critical moment, but you're in (Last Name)."

I nodded softly.

"Yes sir! I'll go change my uniform."

Rushing for my bag, I ran to the nearest bathroom to change into my libero uniform. No way was I changing in front of everyone out in the gym...!

When I returned, I was glad to see that I hadn't taken long at all, and was placed in the game.

Currently at 30-31... It would be horrible for us to lose now... Especially when Nishinoya worked so hard to get us this far...

"Oh, (Last Name)? You're here with these low lives?"

Glancing at Oikawa, I could see he was surprised, but frowned softly at the libero uniform.

"Do you really think you can place a libero role and make a difference this late in the game?"

I simply smiled, as I knew it was something he hated; cocky opponents.

"I believe so. I mean, I'm sure I can make more of a difference than your serves."

Cue angry Oikawa.

Soon enough, the match continued. All of us had to get the next point. We had to win!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Make sure to eat up. You've earned it. Eat away your frustrations, your anger, your sadness. You eat to build up your muscles. Just know how proud we are of all of you."

Everyone was either crying or having some sad expression as they ate. If I was being completely honest, I felt more nervous than sad. I mean, I knew we had the Representative Playoffs later... But I can't say that I'm confident we'll win those either... If my secret gets out... What will I do about my brother's dream...?

As such, I barely touched the food, excusing myself after a moment to use the restroom. Although it was more like 'going to vomit in the restroom'.

Despite not eating that much today, I was somehow able to get quite a lot up. My poor stomach ached from the pain it felt. I just wanted to be home already...

I could hear the door open, and I hoped it wasn't another member of the team... Especially Tsukishima...

"Sheesh. For a 'guy', you're too sensitive."

Of course it's him...

"What do you want...?" I weakly called out, not bothering to use my masculine voice.

We were the only ones in the bathroom, after all.

"We haven't lost our chance for the national stage. What're you getting so nervous for? You didn't break your promise."

I could hear his footsteps approaching the exit door.

"Besides, you didn't do too bad for a last-minute replacement libero."

With that, he exited the bathroom, leaving me to my thoughts.

Was he... trying to comfort me...? Encourage me? It's hard to believe he would do something like that... But I wouldn't say I wasn't grateful...

... Because I was...