Chapter Fourteen

Reader

"Alright... I'm heading out..."

A yawn escaped my lips as I did my best to stay awake and alert. As I had to wake up extremely early to head to the school to make the bus ride to the summer camp, I was doing my best to not rest against the wall and fall asleep.

"Did you remember your toothbrush?"

...

"Thanks mom!"

Rushing up the stairs, I made sure to grab everything I had forgotten, which was more than I would like to admit.

"I'm heading out for real now. I'll be back this Saturday." I called out as I picked up all my bags as well as grabbing the nearby suitcase.

"Have fun! Train hard and stay pure!"

I was about to say 'thanks', until I heard the last part.

"Mom!"

Embarrassed, I closed the door from behind me. If it wasn't for the street lights I'd be walking in the darkness of the early morning.

Time to get moving.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"You're kidding me, right?" I asked in shock, looking at the two boys who seemed to be in despair.

"Afraid not; Kageyama and Hinata both failed an exam."

I could see the frustration in both of them, although I couldn't relate. My scores had been quite admirable, even for a college prep class.

"Geez, you both are pathetic." Tsukishima teased, earning glares from both Hinata and Kageyama.

I rolled my eyes.

"Yamaguchi-san, didn't you and Tsukishima help them study at one point?"

Tadashi nodded.

"Yeah, but Tsukki got annoyed at their persistence, and they eventually had Yachi-san help them study. Seems like they still failed though."

I couldn't help but chuckle as Tanaka and Nishinoya boasted to the first-years who they had barely surpassed in score.

"I suppose I can understand why Tsukki would want to avoid helping a lost cause."

Tadashi froze when I said that, and I quickly realized what I did.

... 'Tsukki' was a nickname only Tadashi was allowed to use...

I'm so dead.

Turning slowly to face Tsukishima, he seemed indifferent, which confused me further.

"I didn't mean-"

"It's alright."

Being cut off, I didn't have time to mentally react to what he had just said. Did he just say it was alright...?!

"Are you sure?" I questioned, worrying that my tiredness was getting to me.

Tsukishima nodded.

"Just don't go around bragging and stuff. It's not a big deal."

Um, it's a big deal!

"Wow, you're finally growing up..." Tadashi stated, wiping away a fake tear, "I never thought the day would come when you'd open up to another person."

Naturally, Tsukishima began scolding and arguing with Tadashi, and I decided to go check in with Daichi.

"Wasn't the bus supposed to be here already...?" I questioned, my eyes struggling to stay open.