Chapter Seventeen

Reader

"Tsukki, are you heading back to your room?" Tadashi questioned as his best friend was heading for the exit of the gym.

"Yeah, I'm done training for the day."

With no other words or gestures, he grabs his bag and exits the gym. I could see Tadashi sighing softly as he headed back to the court.

"Yamaguchi-san, have you noticed anything up with Tsukishima lately? He seems to be acting off. Not depressed or anything like that. If I had to put it into words..." My words trail off as I think, "I can only think of unmotivated. He goes through the movements, but it's as if he doesn't have a goal he's trying to achieve."

Tadashi frowns softly, something in his expression saying that he agrees with what I'm saying.

"I've noticed that as well, but I can't get him to tell me what's wrong. He's quite distant when it comes to things like this."

"I see... Thank you for telling me that. I'm not sure if I'll get a response, but I'm going to see if I can get an answer from him."

Despite Tadashi giving me warnings about trying to confront him about things like this, I quickly slipped on my outside shoes before rushing out of the gym.

I wasn't quite sure what made me feel as though I needed to check on him, but I just did. Was this what being an assistant coach feels like? The need to make sure all your athletes are alright? I'm not so sure at this point.

Although I was still getting used to the school's layout, I was able to find the corridor that was used for the guy's sleeping arrangement. Checking each door, I made sure to knock softly and say something unless someone was inside before opening the door. After all, you never know who might not want to be disturbed.

When I was checking one room, I saw the signature headphones that I had seen Tsukishima use all the time lying on one of the beds. It was easy to identify that this was Tsukishima and Tadashi's room. I was also able to determine that he hadn't gone to his room, since he hadn't had his headphones when he had left the gym. Surely if he came back here, he would've picked up his headphones...

Where could he have gone?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tsukishima

"Really?! You'll join us?"

Not surprised they're surprised I'll join them. Yesterday I had turned them down pretty harshly due to the incident with (Name). But do they really have to make such a big deal of it?

"I want to join too!"

Oh great, the little jumping orange is here...

"Great, let's get started!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reader

"You weren't able to find Tsukki?"

I shook my head softly as I took a moment to catch my breath.

"I checked the dorms, dining hall, asked around for if he had gone to take a shower... I wonder if he left to go on a walk? But then why would he leave his headphones in the room?"

Tadashi also seemed confused by this, until he seemed to suddenly come to a conclusion.

"I have an idea of where he might be...."

I immediately perked up as I began to feel hopeful again.

"Really, where do you think he could be?"

"I can't tell you... If I think about Tsukki's disappearance as well as his previous actions... I think he wants to keep what he's doing a secret."

My smile faltered, but I could understand what Tadashi was trying to say.

"I see... You know, you must be a really great friend to Tsukishima to know what he could be doing and to know the fact that he'd want to be left alone to do whatever it is in secret."

Tadashi smiled softly.

"I suppose that's true... Thank you for saying that."

"Of course! I know it's later than I would like, but I can help you with practice now if you'd like."

"I'd like that!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tadashi

I know that Tsukki would want to be left alone, but I'd be lying if that's the only reason I didn't tell (Name) where to find him. I wanted to have some time to be with (Name) as she helped me practice. Although now I'm unsure of whether or not I should feel guilty...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reader

"I'm so tired..."

Seeing Yachi yawn and plop down on the bed, I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I suppose it would make sense you're so tired. It's your first training camp, even if you're not the one participating. Imagine how the guys feel." I stated, tidying up my area before lying down on my own bed.

"I guess you're right." Yachi mumbled as she glanced over to the already-asleep Kiyoko, "How can she fall asleep so quickly? These beds aren't bad, but still..."

"I'm sure you'll survive. It isn't so bad."

"I guess... Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Closing my eyes, I began to drift off to sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tsukishima

"You're back quite late."

Glancing towards Tadashi's bed, I could see him sitting up, seeming concerned... But it also sounded like he was being stern. Like a mother.

"Yeah, so what? I went for a jog after finishing my business. I was barely able to get in a shower before it closed. What's the big deal?" I questioned as I placed my bag down on the ground, not really caring where it landed.

"Why were you gone so long? Nobody seemed to know where you were. I was worried... As well as (Last Name)-san..."

It was normal for Tadashi to be concerned and worried. He had been like that since we were young, so it never shocked me to hear that. But (Name)...?

"Relax. I'm just fine." Placing my glasses on the nearby desk, I laid down in the bed, "Why are you telling me this anyway?"

Tadashi sighed, falling back onto the bed.

"I just... I don't want (Last Name)-san to worry. She deserves an explanation. Did you know she spent over thirty minutes searching for you?"

I didn't...

"Is this a cover-up for saying you're jealous? If so, I don't need to hear it. You were the one to spend time with her this evening after all."

Leaving Tadashi speechless, I turned to my side, closing my eyes.

"Just get some rest. And don't worry; I'm fine."

Based on the shuffling I heard, I could only assume Tadashi finally gave up his argument and was going to get some sleep. He gets whiny when he doesn't get enough sleep, and there are enough whiny people on the team as is, so he better get the sleep he needs.