Chapter Eighteen

Reader

"Everyone, let's head back to the court and show everybody what we're made of!"

"Yeah!"

Coach Ukai was getting everyone hyped after the lunch break we had all had. It must've been hard to get everyone excited and pumped, considering we haven't won a single game yet.

As everyone was getting their things together, I scanned the group for the person I needed to talk to.

"Ah, Tsukishima-san!" Walking up to him, a concerned expression was visible on my face, "You seem to be a bit tired today; your reaction time has slowed down a bit while your yawns increase. Did you sleep alright?"

Tsukishima took a minute to respond, his eyes seeming to be scanning over my expression as if looking for the reason I'd be concerned.

"I went out for a run this morning. Nothing you need to worry about."

His answer was so direct and simple, it almost seemed too simple.

"If you say so..."

Being called by the others, I made sure to catch up with them as we headed to the gym.

I can hope that's the only reason he seemed tired. Depending on how early Tsukishima woke up, it can make sense if that's what he's getting tired from.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tadashi

I know that Tsukki did get up and head out early, but I don't know how early he left. But I do know that he had taken his headphones with him; the absence of his headphones when I woke up is proof of that. But if that's the case... Tsukki didn't go running...

I've heard him mention that it's hard to run or go on jogs with his headphones since they fall off during runs. He also mentioned they get sweat on them and from what I can tell, he doesn't like the idea of getting his headphones all sweaty. Once I had suggested that he use some earbuds for his runs, I never saw him use headphones for runs ever again.

So what were you doing this morning... Tsukki? What made you feel like you had to lie about what you were doing? Did you get into some trouble...?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reader

"The guys seem like they're going at it with everything they have." Yachi mentioned as we were both sitting on a nearby bench.

Not taking my eyes off the court, I nodded.

"I suppose the fact that they haven't won a game makes them that much more determined to win a game. Though the runs and laps they have to do after each loss must be wearing them out."

Sighing softly, Yachi stood up.

"I'm going to go fill up the water bottles so they'll have extra cold water after their next match. Would you mind joining me? I don't like the idea of getting lost in the hallways..."

"Sure." I stated simple, already heading to the water bottles, "We might need a basket or something to hold the water bottles though. I don't think the two of us could carry all of these on our own."

Yachi seemed to be one step ahead of me, already having acquired two baskets.

"Oh, thanks."

The two of us then filled up the baskets with the water bottles before exiting the gym, not wanting to waste any time.

"(Last Name)-san, do you mind if I ask you about something?"

I turned to face her as I had just placed the basket I had been carrying down.