Chapter One

It's hard to believe that after all the rainy days we've had, we're finally seeing some sun. It feels like forever since I've been able to see a clear, bright sunny day. While some may like the rain, I can't say I like it. To me and my brother, it's only preventing us from playing volleyball outside. Since it's summer, we're not allowed to go to the gym and we're apparently too young to use the courts at gyms. I mean, we're already eight years old!

"Did you see the sun?! It's so bright today!"

A smile formed on my face, though a bit bulging since my mouth was full of cereal.

"I know! It's going to be a perfect day to practice!"

For as long as I can remember, my twin brother Katsuro and I have practiced volleyball every chance we can.

My brother and I share a very close connection. We eat together, play together, practice together... I guess you could say we're inseparable.

"I'm afraid you won't be able to practice with Eichi-san until he returns from work. He was called in last-minute. But in the meantime, you can finish your chores so you can practice when he does come home." Mother stated, drying off a plate she had just finished washing.

Katsuro and I groaned in unison.

"But mom-"

Mother quickly turned to us, a soft yet stern expression on her face.

"I know it's hard, but if you finish your chores before three, I may be able to help you out before my meeting..."

This certainly got a fire burning in our hearts.

"Got it!"

Quickly placing our dishes in the sink, we both scurried out of the kitchen to finish our chores. And we may or may not have slipped on the way out...

"Those kids will never change, will they..."

A soft sigh escaped my mother's lips.

"I wonder how they'll react to the news...."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I'm home!"

It wasn't long before Katsuro and I had rushed to the front door, and tackled our father to the floor.

"You ready to help us with our serves?!"

Our father chuckled, barely able to stand up.

"Getting straight to the point, eh?" He questioned as he placed his jacket on the nearby coat rack.

"Come on..." I whined, "We've been waiting all day for you!"

"I guess that's true. Get your shoes on, and we'll head outside."

Sharing the same excited grin, Katsuro and I rushed back to our rooms to get dressed appropriately for practicing for our treasured sport.

"Hey, move out of my way!"

"You pushed me first! Besides, I was here first!"

"Nu-uh!"

"Uh-huh!"

A soft sigh escaped my father's lips as he approached us trying to push past each other to get outside first. I guess it's true our sibling rivalry was unmatched.

"Are you going to come out and practice, or should I go watch that sports channel while I wait for you two to cooperate?"

With a soft smile and a fold of his arms, we could both tell he was in the best mood to practice with.