Chapter Nine

Reader

"Great practice today! We're all improving, so let's come back tomorrow and do the same thing." Daichi stated, getting all of us pumped up for tomorrow's practice.

"Yes sir!" We shouted back, feeling our enthusiasm growing by the moment.

"Hey Katsuro, do you mind giving me a few serves? I want to work on my spikes a little more." Tanaka questioned, already holding a few volleyballs in his arms.

"Sure. I don't have anything after this."

"Ooh... Can I get in on that?!"

It's just like Hinata to get in on any extra practice he can get.

"Of course. I don't mind." I stated simply, earning a loud 'thank you!' from Hinata.

"Don't think you're getting ahead of me with extra practice!"

And now Kageyama's joining in... Anyone else going to join?

"I'm joining."

We were all shocked to hear Tsukishima say this. He never stayed for extra practice... Especially considering that our group included some of the people he tolerated the least.

"Oh, cool..."

"In that case, do you mind if I practice my float serves over there?" Tadashi questioned, clearly not wanting to leave without his best friend.

It was somewhat adorable how dedicated Tadashi was to his sorry-excuse for a best friend.

"Sure. If you need anything, just let us know."

And so... I, Tanaka, Hinata, Kageyama, Tsukishima, and Yamaguchi ended up staying after practice to work on serves, spikes, the like.

"Just make sure you don't stay too long. Tanaka, made sure you lock up when you're done." Daichi stated as he was exiting with the other third-years and second-years who were leaving.

"Yes sir!" Tanaka shouted back, getting hit with a volleyball as he had turned to face the leaving students.

"You can't get distracted during a match! Focus on the foe in front of you!" Kageyama scolded, resulting in a pointless argument with Tanaka.

Just great...

"Katsuro, do you mind setting up some spikes for me?" Hinata questioned.

Guess he wanted to avoid the arguing duo. Can't blame him though.

"Sure. But are you sure you want my help? I'm not an official setter like Kageyama-san or Sugawara-senpai."

Hinata thought for a moment, as if trying to find the right words.

"Well, I mean, that's true... But if there comes a day where you're the one setting to me, I want to feel prepared!"

The way his eyes sparkled, it was easy for anyone to see how dedicated he was to this sport.

"Sure. Let's go over here-"

"I'll block your spikes, so make sure you put some effort in your hits."

While Hinata seemed more than eager to have an opponent, I couldn't help but wonder why Tsukishima would want to join us for this. I mean, he isn't the most team-supportive guy. I also thought he was helping Tadashi...

"Yeah! I'm so pumped up now!" Hinata exclaimed, jumping up and down.

It's kind of scary how much energy this guy has... It's like a never-ending power supply of energy and motivation.