Myths of Remnant, Legends Nev...

By JTSmith22

In the wilderness near Vale, a teenager burdened by tragedies hunts Grimm alone. That is until a very interes... More

The Volunteer
Friends huh?
The Flight of the Valkyrie
The Emerald Forest
Initiation's End
The Badge and the Burden Part 1
The Badge and The Burden Part 2/Jaundice
Jaundice Part 2/Forever Fall Part 1
Forever Fall Part 2
The Stray/Parabellum
Black and White/End of Volume One
Volume 2, Part 1: Assassinations and Food Fights
Board Games and Plans
A Minor Hiccup and an Escort Mission
Painting the Town
Extracurricular
Burning the Candle
Dance Dance Infiltration
Field Trip/Search and Destroy
Mountain Glenn/No Brakes
Breach
Volume 3, Part 1: Round One
New Challengers...
It's Brawl in the Family
Never Miss a Beat
Fall
Destiny
PvP
Battle of Beacon
Heroes and Monsters
End of the Beginning
The Aftermath of Tragedy
The Miracle and the Revelation
A Protector and a Resolution
Next Steps
The Great Escape
Rememberance
Of Runaways, Stowaways, and Nightmares
Family Reunions
A Debrief
Photos and Menagerie
Tipping Point
Thunderous Applause, Punishment, and an New Resolve
A Gift and an Explanation
A Much Needed Talk
Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back.
Kuroyuri
Taking Control
No Safe Haven
I Have A Yang
Fangirls Are Crazy Man
Welcome to Haven
Dread in the Air
Unforseen Complications
Lighting the Fire
Necessary Sacrifice
Known By Its Song
Rest and Resolutions
Alone Together
A Perfect Storm
True Colors
Maybe Ravens Aren't So Bad?
The Rise of an Arctic Wolf
The Other Brother and a Mother Daughter Bonding Brawl
Where One Adventure Ends, Another Begins
Smug Moms Everywhere

Lessons Learned/Birthday Girl

879 22 8
By JTSmith22

The view opens as the Amity Colosseum is still floating high amid the cheers of an excited audience as the two opposing pairs of partners for the match, the grinning Mercury Black and Emerald Sustrai against a confident Coco Adel and meditating Yatsuhashi Daichi, wait in the center of the stadium for the holographic roulette to pick the field.

Port starts his commentary over the broadcaster speakers.

"Emerald and Mercury of Haven, versus Coco and Yatsuhashi of Beacon!"

Velvet calls from up in the stands alongside Fox Alistair and Ruby Rose.

"Good luck, you two!"

Y/N also calls out from beside Yang.

"Yatsuhashi! Make me proud bud!"

Yatsuhashi looks up and bows to Y/N.

The Colosseum chooses four fields to rise up from below in quarter sections: A patch of tall grassy plains which has a single tree and some rocks; the ruins of a city, complete with buildings holding shattered windows and rubble among the pavement; a hot spring containing geyser spots along a small river and some blue Dust crystal growths; and a familiar section of dense forest.

Coco lowers her sunglasses as she eyes her opponents.

"Hey! Love the outfit, kid!"

Emerald calls out snarkily.

"I'll try not to get blood on it."

Yatsuhashi sighs, getting up as he removes Fulcrum from his back.

"I can't promise you'll leave without a scratch."

Emerald smirks, stretching out her arm. 

"I won't be the one bleeding."

Coco laughs.

"Ooh, I like her!"

Port starts commentating again along with the countdown behind the combatants.

"Three, two, one, begin!"

Instead of charging forward, Mercury and Emerald slowly walk back into the tall grass and disappear behind the leaves. Coco and Yatsuhashi smile at each other before the leader pops out her Gatling gun and begins mowing down the field as the crowds of sunglasses-wearing fans roar their approval, even when bullets nearly hit them from the other side of the forcefield. Coco lets up as she and Yatsuhashi realize the two opponents aren't in the plains section anymore.

Coco remarks in confusion.

"Huh?"

Blake calls out as she and the rest of Teams RWBY look in shock and STLL.

"Look out!"

Mercury drops from the sky, aiming for Coco, but Yatsuhashi pushes her out of the way and blocks Talaria with his blade, pushing him back. Coco opens fire at him again, though Mercury is able to outrun each shot.

Sun yells appreciatively, also in the bleachers with SSSN.

"He's good!"

Scarlet adds.

"Yeah, but where's the girl?"

Mercury reaches the two and kicks away Coco's weapon while dodging Yatsuhashi's blade, then delivering a double blow to the giant warrior before jumping over Coco's continued barrage of bullets. He lands on the barrels and kicks her in the face, leaping over another of Yatsuhashi's swings, only to let himself be hit so he can get behind Coco and force her to press the muzzle up to her own teammate. Everyone stands still until Coco compresses her weapon back into its handbag form and tries to hit Mercury with Yatsuhashi, but he deftly jumps back and launches two blasts from his boots that the members of CFVY deflect.

Coco is unfazed by the one shot, but looks surprised at the dozens of them now spiraling around the handstand-spinning Mercury until he sends all of them at his enemies, a barrage of light and smoke surrounding them that provides the perfect cover for Mercury to appear behind the two. He grabs the both of them by their arms and delivers a flurry of kicks that knocks them back, looking back as a chain comes out from the forest trees to wrap around Coco and pulls her back.

Yatsuhashi's eyes widen as he reaches out to her in vain. 

"Coco!"

Despite his cry, Coco disappears into the trees, and he has to endure a blow from Mercury before being able to grab and throw him into the hot spring area. He jumps high in the air as Mercury's still sliding back, but his blade only comes down on his opponent's boots, the shockwave from this clash causing the water to fly back, the earth to crack underneath, and multiple geysers to form around them. Mercury fires his boots and gets out of the hold, aiming a swipe at Yatsuhashi's feet that misses, then ducking around each of his sword's swings. One of his kicks lets loose some stones from the ground, which Mercury kicks into Yatsuhashi and leaves him at the mercy of another foot-happy assault. This leaves his head in a small super-heated geyser, erupting and causing him to scream in pain as he frantically gets up, opening his eyes just in time to see Mercury coming at him.

Meanwhile, Coco is still being dragged back into the forest until the chain makes her collide with the trunk of a tree. She shakes it off until she realizes her sunglasses are lying shattered on the ground.

Coco grunts, glaring angrily as she looks around. 

"I take it back; I don't like her."

Just as she says this, a green shot rapidly comes at Coco, which she barely manages to jump back from as more come down on her from Emerald's position up in a tree above her. Coco unleashes her Gatling gun again and shoots high in the branches, but Emerald jumps around, using Thief's Respite to fire back and change them to sickle form so she can swing from each tree until she suddenly vanishes behind one of them.

Coco is looking around for her lost opponent.

"Damn!"

Yatsuhashi is seen coming up from behind her, hand on his sword's hilt.

"Coco!"

Coco waves at him, calling back to him as she continues to glance around.

"Watch out, she's in the trees!"

Port yells enthusiastically as a buzzer sounds around the arena, Coco looking up to see the footage of his coverage. 

"Oh, and with that final blow, Yatsuhashi is eliminated!"

Coco is stunned, her eyes widening in shock.

"What!?"

She looks behind her, only to see no one there. Her hand is shaking on the handle of her gun, and she doesn't even see the blur between the trees moving in for the kill.

Coco snorts and looks around.

"Damn!"

Little does she know that Emerald is rising up from behind her, blades raised, turning around a second too late. The weapon descends with a ringing gunshot, and Coco is seen flying out of the forest, landing all the way in the center of the stadium next to Yatsuhashi, also knocked unconscious. Emerald swings her sickles by their chains as Mercury looks over their defeated opponents.

Oobleck finally enters the verbal fray in the announcer's spot with Port.

"And with an amazing upset, Emerald and Mercury are victorious!"

Velvet gasps, hand over her mouth as Fox shakes his head.

"Coco?"

Fox places a reassuring hand on Velvet's shoulder as Ruby looks into the stadium at her "friends", no one noticing the smiling Cinder Fall behind them, getting up from her seat and walking away amid the combined cheers and boos from the crowds.

As the four combatants left the Arena, Tobias and Y/N stood up. Blake looked over and saw Sun and Neptune headed down to the lockers as well. Blake then looks up at Y/N and Tobias.

"Try not to break them too much you two."

Sara laughs and Lily giggles at the absurdity of Blake's request.

Y/n however, shivers and looks at Yang and Ruby.

"You remember what Qrow said. If I don't take this seriously, he's gonna kick my ass."

The two sisters and the massive Y/N all shivered. Y/N looked down as he remembered what happened when Qrow came back last night.

Flashback

Y/N was sitting sheepishly on Yang's bed as Ruby excitedly told Yang about Qrow.

"I knew it Yang! Y/N was taught by Uncle Qrow! And guess what?!?!?"

Yang eyed Y/N before turning back to Ruby.

"What Rubes?"

Ruby looks at Yang with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Uncle Qrow actually hugged Y/N and called him..."

She jumped up and down as Yang stood there with her mouth open. For Qrow to hug someone who wasn't his family was surprising enough.

"Wait for it…"

Y/N sighed and shook his head.

Then before Ruby could blurt it out, the door was kicked open, and a voice called out.

"You girls seen Pipsqueak?"

Yang started laughing.

"You mean him?"

She points to Y/N smiling on her bed. Qrow squints his eyes at Y/N.

"Pipsqueak...why are in my niece's dorm room?"

Yang turned to Y/N and said in mock horror.

"Why Y/N, have you not told my dear sweet Uncle that we are in Love?"

Not seeing her obvious teasing Y/N stood up and looked at Qrow.

"I tried to tell the Old Man, but he walked off before I could. I pro…"

Yang interrupted him and kissed him right in front of Qrow. Then she looked at Qrow.

"Qrow. I don't care that you know him. He's my boyfriend. Deal with it. "

Qrow stutters and starts to protest. Obviously he wasn't happy that his star pupil was dating his niece. Then at her stern look, he gives up on that. Then he turns to Y/N.

"Still even with...that issue aside, you had atrocious form in the first match. I mean yeah it was flashy, but what have I told you about playing with your food Pipsqueak?"

Y/N looked down and kicked the floor. Guiltily, Yang looked at Qrow and slowly raised her hand.

"That may also be on me Uncle Qrow."

He scowled at her and put one hand on his hip and pointed the other at her.

"And how is that Firecracker?"

Yang was the one kicking the floor in embarrassment.

"I may or may not have told him to make it flashy to impress Dad."

Qrow sighed and nodded.

"Tai does like a flashy showing."

He turned back to Y/N.

"If you don't fight seriously in your next match...I will not only will I tell Tai I caught you in his daughters' room, but I will also personally kick your ass. You're my best student. Act like it."

Ruby then pouts.

"I thought I was your best student Uncle Qrow!"

Qrow walks over to Ruby and ruffles her hair smiling.

"No kiddo, I said you were my favorite. This Pipsqueak right here is the real deal. When I'm gone, he's the one who will take my place…"

He glares at Y/N.

"If I don't kill him myself first."

End Flashback

The two sisters and Y/N shivered. Then Y/N looks back at Blake.

"Sorry Kitty Cat. I can't promise to go easy on them. All I can promise them is that I'll fight seriously and I'll leave them alive."

Blake sighed and nodded. At least he wasn't going to kill the dorks. Yang and Ruby sat down with the rest of Teams RWBY and STLL. They all conversed as they waited. After a few minutes, Professor Port's voice rang out over the stadium's speakers.

"And let's get ready for the next match in this Tournament! Team STLL looking for revenge for Beacon against Team SSSN of Haven. After that last match, Beacon's very own Y/N Lennox and Tobias Ferro are looking to avenge Coco Adel and Yatsuhashi Daichi. Here they are now! Two of Beacon's best taking the field!"

Y/N and Tobias walked into the field, waving and looking at the crowd. Then Oobleck started talking as Sun and Neptune walked into the field.

"And here are their opponents: Sun Wukong and Neptune Vasilias. They are hoping to continue Haven's dominant performance. Can they do it? Or will the Titan of Beacon be able to end Haven's streak?"

The two pairs looked at each other and Sun called out to Y/N.

"So...you gonna take it easy on us?"

Y/N shook his head and put on his serious face.

"I can't, sorry. I promised my mentor that I'd take this match seriously. I can promise you that I won't kill you."

Sun gulped and visibly retreated. Neptune laughed and gave Tobias a smile.

"He can't be serious right?"

Both Tobias and Sun shook their heads and answered in concert.

"You have no idea."

Neptune then visibly deflated.

"Really?"

Sun nodded as the Holographic Roulettes started to choose the playing field.

"This is the guy who caught a shipping container full of dust with his bare hands."

Tobias snorted and added.

"Yeah and the same guy who cut a Nevermore in half on his second day at Beacon."

Neptune started to sweat now. Before he could say anything, Port's voice called out.

"So the fields they will be fighting on are a Volcano slope, a ruined urban area, a mountain, and the ocean."

At this Neptune starts to panic. Y/N sees this, and calls out to him.

"No need to worry Neptune. I'm not so low as to force you to the ocean. Tobias and I will not do that. I promise."

Tobias nodded and Neptune sighed in relief before Y/N continued.

"You won't last that long."

Port's voice counts down the timer.

"3...2...1...Begin!"

And with that, Y/N flipped up his hood and pulled out Quake. He looks at his opponents with golden eyes and flares his aura out and the burnt rock of the Volcanic slope starts to melt. Then after absorbing some of it into his muscles, he took off after Sun. Sun was able to dodge the first swing of Quake and pull out his gunchucks, but the second swing took him by surprise and with one swing, Y/N broke his Aura and knocked him into the hard light shield around the arena. Neptune panics and shoots Y/N, but the blue energy doesn't even make a dent in Y/N's Aura level which is currently hovering at 99%. Tobias tries to help and sends a bolt of lightning at Neptune, but Y/N gets to him before the lightning does and swings at Neptune. Instead of knocking him out of the Arena, Y/N smashed Neptune into the ground, denting the arena's metal flooring and breaking Neptune's Aura.

The coliseum was silent as everyone looked on in shock. The whole match had taken 15 seconds. Oobleck finally announced after a few moments of shocked silence.

"And with that ridiculously powerful display of speed and strength, Y/N Lennox of team STLL ends Haven's streak and allows his team to move on to the singles round."

Y/N leaned down and helped the thoroughly concussed Neptune to his feet slowly.

"Sorry about that Neptune. I had to keep my promise."

In the announcers box, Port had finally broken his shocked silence and yelled.

"Medics to the field please. Medics to the field."

As the medics arrived to see to the injured Sun and Neptune, Y/N and Tobias walked off the field. As they exited the lockers, Tobias was still grumbling.

"Did I even need to be there? Why was I on the field in the first place if you could do that?!"

Hearing this Sara walked over to her boyfriend.

"You were there for eye candy Sparky. Especially since you barely saw Titan before it was over."

Yang came up and hugged Y/N.

"Good job out there Titan."

Blake added, looking at Y/N with a blushing, but impressed face.

"That was…"

Before she could finish her thought, both sisters answered for her. Ruby yelled.

"Awesome!"

Yang whispered.

"Sexy."

Despite this, Y/N was sweating and looking all around. Finally seeing Qrow saunter up, he calls out nervously.

"I took it seriously Qrow, I promise. It may have been flashy, but I did just as you taught me. I…"

Qrow held his hand up, looking amused.

"You did good Y/N. You did good. It was a little flashy, so maybe tone it down for your next match huh?"

Qrow turns to Sara.

"That is if your team doesn't have a problem sending you into the finals…"

Sara shook her head as she replied.

"Why would we send this Spazzy Sparky in when we have the Titan of Beacon? I see no issue."

Lily nodded her acceptance as well, still chewing on chocolate covered popcorn.

Everyone looked to Tobias, who still had a look of disappointment on his face.

"Yeah, yeah. I've seen the guy in action too. I don't mind. I just wish you would have let me shine a little Titan."

Y/N shrugs, now in an immensely better mood.

"Sorry brother, I was told to get serious."

Qrow laughs.

"Speaking of getting serious, you won me a bet with Ironwood. I bet him it would be over in 30 seconds or less and he bet me 1000 Lien. He lost and he handed over the Lien, but the look on his face? Priceless."

Everyone laughs at this, well everyone except Weiss. Weiss turns away and whispers to herself.

"Get serious huh…?"

She walked away without a word and only the sound of her heels clicking on the stone floors was heard as she went to go find her sister.

In an elegant twilit pavilion area of ivy-covered pillars, rounded archways, and lion-decorated fountains, Weiss Schnee and her elder sister Winter are sitting at a simple table with a plate full of croissants and strawberries. Winter is sipping from her teacup as Weiss repeats the news she was just told.

Weiss asks sadly.

"You're... leaving?"

Winter sighs, setting her cup down. 

"Yes. I was merely needed to oversee the transport of additional units to Vale. Our last shipment was lost to an ambush. I believe you had a run-in with its cargo, actually. It's fortunate those Paladins were in the prototype stage; otherwise your team may not have fared so well."

She looks as Weiss sighs and looks down dejectedly, she grabs her sister's hand reassuringly.

"Weiss, you've done... well, out here, on your own. You should be proud. I'll be honest, it was quite amusing seeing Father's face the day you left for Beacon!"

Weiss looks at Winter, straightening up and smiling now, arms crossed.

"I can't wait to show him what I learned!"

Winter raises an eyebrow.

"Oh? Then what do you think you've learned?"

Weiss hesitates, not directly looking at her sister.

"What do you mean? I'm getting better and better with my glyphs! I've even started Time Dilation!"

Winter keeps her eyebrow raised, staring intently at her sibling. 

"And what of your Summoning?"

Weiss hesitates again.

"I…"

She sighs and looks away.

"You know I can't."

Winter shakes her head resolutely.

"Don't be ridiculous. Every Schnee has the ability to summon. We have for generations."

Weiss turns to her sister, splaying her hands as she exasperatedly cries.

"I've tried! It's just... it's the one thing I've been having trouble with!"

Winter sighs.

"We Schnees are unique. Unlike many, our Semblance is hereditary. But that doesn't mean it will come easily."

She lifts her hand to summon a small, elaborate glyph over her palm.

"Your Semblance is like a muscle. The more you practice with it, the stronger it will become. But if you only focus on one aspect of it…"

The glyph expands suddenly in a bright flash, causing Weiss to turn away before looking back up in awe at the white-and-blue Beowolf now at her sister's side.

"If you fail to test the limits of what you think is possible, then you'll never truly grow."

Weiss smiles at this display of power she hopes to achieve, before cutting to...

...Ruby yelling at Qrow as red action lines appear behind her with oriental battle music playing.

"You'll never beat me, old man!"

Qrow replies coolly with similar blue lines behind him.

"You're nothing but talk, kid!"

Yang is sitting next to Y/N, calling out her support as purple lines follow her.

"You can do it, Ruby!"

Then the entire scene is revealed to be in team RWBY's dorm room at Beacon Academy, and the screen of the video game Ruby and Qrow are playing is shown just as one of the pixelated ninjas decapitates the other, with the announcer saying "SOARING NINJA WINS! TOTAL ANNIHILATION!" Qrow grins at his victory as Ruby lowers her head in shame.

Yang turns to Y/N, whispering.

"Ouch."

Qrow turns to Ruby.

"And by the way, don't ever call me old."

Y/N enters the conversation.

"Yeah! That's my line!"

Qrow gives him a look that's half anger and half laughing, before smirking and turning back to the screen.

Yang jumps off the bed and pushes her sibling out of her spot as she grabs the spinning controller from the air.

"My turn!"

Qrow starts talking again while the game begins again with "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!"

"Now, where was I?"

Ruby then pops up from behind the two players excitedly as Y/N looks on, amused.

"You were telling us about your last mission!"

Qrow nods.

"Right, right…"

He flashes back to his story as the art style changes to reflect the dark setting and eerie neighborhood the blade-wielding warrior is walking through.

"I'd come across a small village in the swamps west of Mistral. Right off the bat, I knew something wasn't right."

Ruby asks excitedly.

"What were you doing there?"

Qrow answers.

"I needed information. Tired from battling Grimm along the way, I decided to start my search at the town's inn. The place was crawling with lowlifes and thugs, even a few Huntsmen that I could only assume had been hired by less-than reputable people for less-than respectable jobs. And that's when it happened."

Yang's voice asks intrigued as Qrow looks at something in the shady inn, wide-eyed at what he sees. 

"What happened?"

Qrow builds up to it as his figure kneels in his flashback under a spotlight.

"I was defeated... by the mere sight…"

He suddenly grins at what he saw is revealed.

"...of the innkeeper's skirt length!"

The vision of pink hearts, a beautiful maid with slightly-skimpy clothing, and the very happy Qrow is interrupted by a thrown dog-head pillow, which Qrow deftly catches much to Yang's ire (not helped by the game announcer calling out once more "SOARING NINJA WINS! TOTAL ANNIHILATION!").

Yang yells at him.

"You are the worst!" 

Y/N laughs before adding his own thoughts.

"I'm glad I didn't get your tendencies Old Man."

Qrow looks at Y/N and nods after he and Ruby laugh at Yang's anger. Then he turns to Yang again.

"Best two out of three?"

Ruby gets curious as she seats herself on Weiss' bed.

"So, Uncle Qrow, did you get in trouble with Ozpin?"

Qrow turns, waving the question off.

"Nah, me and Oz go way back. We're cool."

Yang, still angry, scoffs. 

"Cool for an old guy."

Qrow, obviously fed up with the old comments, is looking mad now.

"Not funny."

Ruby saves the conversation.

"So, what are you doing here anyway? I thought Dad said that you would be on a mission, for like... ever."

Qrow turns, getting back into the game at the sound of "READY? FIGHT!" 

"Well, a professional Huntsman like myself is expected to get results, as soon as possible."

Ruby nods.

"Yeeeeaaaah, I get that."

She laughs.

"We're pretty much pros, too."

Y/N puts his head in his hands. He knows what is coming 

Qrow turns to Ruby, eyebrow raised.

"Oh, really?"

Yang jumps in on the action before her boyfriend could save her.

"Psch, yeah! Read the news sometime. We totally saved Vale while you were gone."

Qrow retorts.

"Funny, because I heard Vale suffered a Grimm attack after you almost managed to stop a train."  

He then leans over to rub it in his niece's face as she scowls at the repeated "SOARING NINJA WINS! TOTAL ANNIHILATION!"

"But they don't give out medals for almost."

Y/N has to respect Ruby's optimism as she  resolutely replies.

"They do, and it's called silver!"

Yang looks for something else to talk about.

"Well, we helped take down Roman Torchwick! He's locked up in Ironwood's ship and crime's been down ever since! That's basically a bounty mission!"

Qrow nods before looking back at all three of them.

"Sure, you may be acting like Huntresses, but you're not thinking like one. You really think four girls and their friends could end all crime in a Kingdom? Even with the God of War over there on your side?"

Ruby replies, tapping her fingers together in embarrassment.

"I mean, I did until you said that…"

Y/N comes back into the conversation.

"Yeah it's been weirding me out. Violence hasn't dropped since Roman got nabbed; it's stopped, completely. No White Fang activity around the city at all."

Qrow looks at Y/N, sounding more serious now, but looking proudly at his star pupil. 

"That's right. You cut off the head of the King Taijitu, but now the second head 's calling the shots. That's what Ironwood can't get through that thick metal head of his."

Yang exchanges a look with Ruby.

"You... know the General?"

Qrow switches back to his usual joking demeanor.

"Hey, I know everybody to some extent. Remember, you're talking to a member of the coolest team that graduated Beacon!"

He reaches behind him into one of his pockets and pulls out a photo lined with stains and age of four figures - himself, Raven Branwen, Taiyang Xiao Long, and Summer Rose - as Yang's eyes widen and he sighs in remembrance.

"Hah, Team STRQ... That's where I met your parents. We were pretty well known back in the day."

Y/N notices Yang's behavior and gets down on the floor beside her, squeezing her shoulder lightly. Clueless, Ruby squints at the picture and says to Qrow.

"Well known for crummy fashion sense!"

Qrow replies, indignant.

"Hey, we looked good! And I have a number of inappropriate stories to back that up!"

He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively, but notices Yang continuing to stare at the picture and puts it away. 

"But, I'll save those for when you're older."

Ruby recoils in disgust. 

"Oh, gross!"

Qrow sighs, getting up and walking out.

"Anyways, I'm too old to be hanging out with a bunch of kids. You're gonna cramp my style."

He pauses in the doorway and sighs before addressing his family, Ruby and Yang looking up to him and Zwei sleeping on Blake's bed. Y/N is still looking at Yang, concerned.

"Look, just remember that you've still got a long way to go…"

He turns around and holds a finger up to express his seriousness.

"And don't think for a second that graduating means you're done."

He hitches a thumb over his shoulder.

"Every day out there is worth a week in this place. You two, you're gonna go far. But only if you keep learning; if you never stop moving forward. Even you still have a long way to go before you're ready, Pipsqueak."

With these immortal words of wisdom, Qrow exits down the hall.

Back in the pavilion, a caterpillar is slowly inching around on the edge of a fountain at Weiss points her Myrtenaster at the ground, creating a rotating glyph made of blade symbols with Winter behind her, appraising the effort.

Winter nods approvingly.

"Excellent form! Now think of your fallen foes! The ones who forced you to push past where you were, and become who you are now."

She continues instructing her sister as the glyph flickers in and out of existence and Weiss grimaces in concentration.

"Think of them, and watch as they come to your side."

Weiss is doing her hardest to make the wobbling circle follow her will, but eventually dismisses it and stomps the ground angrily. 

"I can't!"

Winter brings her hand immediately down on Weiss' head in a slap.

"Stop doubting yourself!"

Weiss angrily turns around to face her sister.

"I'm trying!"

Winter scoffs.

"If this is what you call trying, then you have no hope of winning the tournament, let alone succeeding as a Huntress! I mean did you see that Y/N boy? Even with such an awful mentor as Qrow, he could eliminate two opponents before the audience even knew what was happening."

She suddenly is smiling as if an idea has occurred to her.

"Why don't you just move back home? I'm sure Father would give you a nice job as a receptionist!"

Weiss visibly shakes in anger, looking away.

"I don't need his charity!"

Winter grins, leaning in.

"But you do need his money, don't you?"

Weiss is surprised.

"What!? How did you know about that!?"

Winter smirks, straightening back up.

"Lucky guess. I may have been in a similar situation when I joined the military. So what have you done this time?"

Weiss replies as Winter circles around her.

"Well, that's the thing: I'm really not sure! I went to pay for lunch the other day, but the card didn't work!"

Winter answers in mock horror. 

"How embarrassing."

Weiss misses the sarcasm.

"I know!"

She sees Winter shaking her head and replies defensively.

"Well, it was! Why would he cut me off like that?"

Winter wisely answers.

"Perhaps so that you'd stop avoiding him and call home."

Instead of answering, Weiss attempts once more to create a summoning glyph, gritting her teeth until Winter places a consoling hand on her shoulder.

Winter continues.

"Emotions can grant you strength. But you must never let them overpower you."

The attempted glyph flickers and fades once more, though neither of them pay it any attention.

"It sounds to me like you have two choices in front of you. You can either call him, beg for his money back, and explain once more why you would want to study at Beacon over Atlas, or you could continue to explore Remnant, discovering more about the world and honestly, more about yourself."

She allows Weiss a moment to absorb this information until revealing.

"It's time for me to go."

She gives her sister a hug, which is returned.

Weiss smiles, breaking off from the embrace.

"It was really good to see you, Winter."

Winter is also smiling sadly.

"Until next time, sister."

She then looks up as if something's come to her.

"And watch out for that annoying old man Qrow and his student. If Y/N is anything like his teacher, he'll be a drunk womanizer."

Sensing a deep grudge, Weiss merely laughs and nods.

The two Schnees walk out of the pavilion and go in opposite directions, neither of them noticing the caterpillar coming across a miniature, brightened version of a familiar-looking broadsword before disappearing into icy sparkles.

Later at night, Weiss is in the school courtyard, waving goodbye at the airship carrying her sister. She stops just as her Scroll starts vibrating with an incoming call from "FATHER", and her finger hovers over the screen in uncertainty until she closes her eyes and forces herself to press it. Suddenly smiling at the sight of her closed Scroll and the setting of a new path in life, she puts it away and walks back inside.

That night, a mass message is sent out. Due to someone smashing up their field a little bit too hard, (no names were named, but everyone knew it was Y/N), the matches were postponed a day while repairs were made. Ruby couldn't be happier about that. It meant they had a full day to celebrate her birthday. She got even more excited when Y/N notified her that all of team RWBY, team STLL, and Qrow were invited to a late lunch at his house before they went out to party for Halloween and Ruby's birthday. Qrow politely declined with an answer along the lines of: "Too many kids cramps my style kid, have fun on your birthday." 

The Next Morning

Y/N took off early, leaving a note on the door of his dorm saying that he had to get everything ready. He made a few stops along the way home in Vale to pick up all the food he'd need for 8 people. In fact, even he had to make two trips to go get the massive cake.

As he came in the door the second time, he felt his Scroll buzz. He put the cake in the now almost full fridge and pulled out his scroll to see a message from Yang.

"Thanks for doing this Titan. Ruby's really looking forward to it."

Smiling, Y/N sent his reply.

"You're welcome Sunshine. I think of her as my little sister too. I'm happy to do it. Besides, she won't be the only one getting a present today. I have something for everyone. Let's just say when I was making Ruby's gift, I got build happy and made 7 gifts. Tobias got his a little early, but he's liked Thunder since he's been using it. Hopefully everyone else will like their presents as well."

After sending the reply, he went about getting the house ready for guests. 

By the time that the girls should be there rolled around, Y/N had cleaned up the place and started most of the food, save the main entrees. He actually was pulling out his scroll to check the time when he heard a knock at the front door. He walked over to it and opened the door to see Teams RWBY and STLL.

"Welcome to my house ladies, Tobias, Ice Queen."

Everyone laughed as they filed in. Ruby sniffed the air and groaned.

"Oh that smells Soo good!"

Blake nods and looks at Y/N, who is wearing an apron and walking back into the kitchen.

"I didn't know you could cook."

He shrugs and checks the time. 

"My dad taught me that it is an essential skill to know how to cook. He said he met my mom while cooking. So naturally, I learned. I was a little rusty, so I had to buy Ruby's cake, but as for the rest of the food, it is all my own work. In fact I need to go put the steaks on the grill. So make yourselves at home. The TV can also be used for gaming if you'd like to start a tournament! There are a bunch of games Uncle John got me underneath the TV if y'all want to look, and there's a bunch of movies on the shelf beside it."

He digs into the fridge and everyone starts to head over to the couches and the TV, eager for entertainment. Blake's ears droop after hearing the word "steak". Sure she liked it, but her favorite was…

Y/N popped out of the fridge and looked at her.

"Oh and by the way Kitty Cat, I got you Salmon. Is that ok? Or should I send Tobias to get something else?"

Blake shook her head.

"No that's fine! It's my favorite actually!"

He smiles and nods. Then he calls out to Yang.

"Hey sunshine! Could you come here and help me take the meat out to the grill?"

Yang looks over and nods. When she reached the fridge, Y/N looked at her and motioned to look in the fridge.

"Did I get the right cake?"

Yang looks into the fridge to see a massive chocolate cake with the edges covered in chocolate chip cookie crumbles and the words "Happy Birthday Ruby" written across it.

"You did amazing babe."

She leans in to kiss him and he comes down to meet her. As they break from it, she sees two red boxes and 6 other, smaller boxes.

"Are those all hers?"

"Nope just the two red ones. The others are for the rest of you."

Yang smiles and helps him take the meat out back to the grill. 

Half an hour later, lunch is served. Everyone digs in from their seats either at the table, or on a couch. They all dig in and have different reactions, all positive. There is a long companionable silence as everyone stuffs their faces. Sara is the first to speak.

"Ok this does it, Y/N is on cooking duty in our dorm permanently. I don't know what he did, but this is the best meal I've had in awhile."

Even Weiss and her refined pallet can't disagree.

"Indeed, if you weren't such a good Huntsman, anyone in Atlas would hire you as a permanent chef."

Y/N laughs and turns back to Ruby and asks her.

"Alright birthday girl, cake or presents first?" Bouncing up and down in her seat, a starry eyed Ruby replies.

"Ummm...presents first, then cake!"

Laughing and pushing his empty plate forward, Y/N gets up and starts bringing the presents over.

"Ok two of them are for you Ruby, but when I was making your presents, I got carried away and made everyone something. I hope you don't mind."

Ruby shook her head clapping while looking at the two scarlett wrapped packages.

"I don't mind...wait you made my presents?"

Y/N finished passing out the presents and nodded. 

"Yup. Now go ahead and open it squirt."

Ruby picked-up one of the presents and ripped it open. There was a plain box inside the paper and so she opened it to see...two black bracelets, each with a red Crystal on it. With stars in her eyes, she put each one on and showed everyone. Y/N smirks. 

"Well aren't you going to see what they do?"

Ruby looked at him in confusion.

"Press the red crystals duh, but you might want to stand up first."

She does so and with a smile, presses the crystals. The thick bracelets then extend and cover her hands until they create fingerless metal mesh gloves. On both of them is her symbol.

"I figured when you do eventually get better at hand to hand, you'll be wanting to keep your hands safe. I hope you…"

Y/N didn't even get to finish, Ruby came up and hugged him so hard, it was almost like Yang was doing the hugging.

"I love them! Thank you Y/N!"

"You're welcome Ruby. Now why don't you open the other one?"

She hurries to the other box and gives it the same treatment as the first, still with the gauntlets on. When she got the box open she gasped. She pulled it out and showed everyone a broach meant to hold her cape together. It was made like her own symbol, but with much greater detail. Y/N looked at it proudly.

"I'm very proud of that one. It took me several tries to get the petals and the fire to balance right, but I think it came out pretty well."

Ruby was busy replacing her old plain silver one with her new, red and black, more detailed one, so Blake answered for her.

"Pretty good? That is amazing!"

Tobias smirks and says.

"You know what this means Yang?"

She looked at him confused and Sara looked at him as if she knew what he was about to say.

"He's really good with his hands."

Yang giggled and Sara slapped the back of Tobias's head. Having gotten her new stuff on, Ruby looked at everyone else's presents.

"Ok your turn guys!"

And one by one they opened their gifts.

Tobias got lightning dust rounds for his actual present Thunder. Sara got an upgraded pair of holsters for her twin pistols, Lily got a Laurel hairpin that used hard light dust to create a helmet of shimmering gold around her head (although no one knew how he got it to be gold as almost all hard light was blue).

Next up was the rest of RWBY. Weiss was first and pulled out a beautiful red scarf with her intricate symbol woven into it.

"You know Ice Queen, that scarf is actually bullet and blade proof. I wove a lightweight metal into the fabric so that now when it's protecting your neck from the cold it's also protecting your neck from everything else."

Weiss looked surprised.

"Well thank you Y/N."

And with that she put it on, and Y/N gaze fell to Blake. She tore into the paper like it was child's play. And from out of the box, she pulled two things: the newest book in the Ninjas of Love series, and a black and purple shuriken.

"How did you get this book? It isn't supposed to get released for like another week!"

Y/N smiled.

"I have my ways, Kitty Cat. And that shuriken there is my handmade specialty. I forged it with gravity dust infused into the metal. Now that wouldn't last forever unless I made that compartment on the side where you can put more dust in it. You throw it, activate the dust, and it comes back."

Y/N was looking very proud of himself until he realized Blake was more interested in the book than the shuriken. At that he deflated. But then he looked over at his girlfriend and motioned for her to open her present and the smile he had returned.

She took off the paper and opened the box. Inside was a rectangular yellow block of metal. She raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

"Ummm Titan...did you forget to finish mine?"

Y/N was undeterred by her doubt. He was actually bouncing up and down as he said the next bit.

"Attach it to the Ember Celica on your dominant hand underneath your wrist."

A little curious, Yang did as he asked and the block of metal sprung to life, it attached itself to the gauntlet and when it was done, had Yang's symbol in burnt orange. Still a little confused, she looks back at Y/N, who continues his instructions.

"Now fling your wrist out like this…"

He showed her himself flicking him arm and wrist down. She then did the same...and a 6 inch blade sprung out of the gauntlet. Yang giggled in joy and looked at it.

"You can tap the symbol to make it recede back into its sheath, but first, imbue it with your Aura."

Yang happily does so and ir suddenly catches on fire. She yelps in surprise, but then realizes that it doesn't feel hot.

"Because it's your Aura Sunshine, it won't burn you."

Y/N smiled at her as she looked at the flaming hidden blade with an intense happiness.

"I figured that maybe you'd need it some day to punch through the bone playing of a Grimm, or block a blade or something."

Yang comes over and hugs him, forcing all of the air out of him.

"Babe, I love it! Thank you Y/N."

She then turns to the rest of the crowd as they're looking at their gifts.

"Ok people, time for cake!"

Y/N goes over and pulls the chocolate cake covered in chocolate chip cookie crumbles out of the fridge and puts it on the table. Ruby sees it and nearly faints in happiness. She reaches for it but Y/N wags a finger at her.

"Not until you deactivate those gauntlets young lady! Touch the crystals again and they'll revert."

She sighs and does so as Y/N and Yang cut and pass out the slices of cookie cake. When everyone has one, they all sing Happy Birthday to Ruby and then dig in.

After Ruby's fifth slice of cake, Yang shakes her head.

"I can't believe we still are going to go trick or treating and give her more sugar."

With that, they all laugh and the view fades to black. It's going to be a looong night.

A/n: I know this last bit may seem a little unnecessary, but trust me, some of those presents are going to be vital later on in the story. I hope you enjoy! See you soon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 2.3K 42
This is an RWBY fanfic in which the Winter Soldier meets RWBY. The reader was born without Semblance or Aura. He had to train himself to achieve his...
2.9K 45 16
This will follow the story of F/n a mysterious yet powerful boy who appears more than meets the eye as he prefers to his closely guarded his past to...
3.8K 111 49
(Volumes 1-3) You have known Ruby Rose for as long as you were both were kids and have been together since half way of your first year at Signal Acad...
12.7K 354 10
Y/N spends his time wandering around the world of Remnant, inside and outside the four kingdoms. All for the sake of practicing his Grimm slaying ski...