Myths of Remnant, Legends Nev...

By JTSmith22

In the wilderness near Vale, a teenager burdened by tragedies hunts Grimm alone. That is until a very interes... More

The Volunteer
Friends huh?
The Flight of the Valkyrie
The Emerald Forest
Initiation's End
The Badge and the Burden Part 1
The Badge and The Burden Part 2/Jaundice
Jaundice Part 2/Forever Fall Part 1
Forever Fall Part 2
The Stray/Parabellum
Black and White/End of Volume One
Volume 2, Part 1: Assassinations and Food Fights
Board Games and Plans
A Minor Hiccup and an Escort Mission
Painting the Town
Burning the Candle
Dance Dance Infiltration
Field Trip/Search and Destroy
Mountain Glenn/No Brakes
Breach
Volume 3, Part 1: Round One
New Challengers...
It's Brawl in the Family
Lessons Learned/Birthday Girl
Never Miss a Beat
Fall
Destiny
PvP
Battle of Beacon
Heroes and Monsters
End of the Beginning
The Aftermath of Tragedy
The Miracle and the Revelation
A Protector and a Resolution
Next Steps
The Great Escape
Rememberance
Of Runaways, Stowaways, and Nightmares
Family Reunions
A Debrief
Photos and Menagerie
Tipping Point
Thunderous Applause, Punishment, and an New Resolve
A Gift and an Explanation
A Much Needed Talk
Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back.
Kuroyuri
Taking Control
No Safe Haven
I Have A Yang
Fangirls Are Crazy Man
Welcome to Haven
Dread in the Air
Unforseen Complications
Lighting the Fire
Necessary Sacrifice
Known By Its Song
Rest and Resolutions
Alone Together
A Perfect Storm
True Colors
Maybe Ravens Aren't So Bad?
The Rise of an Arctic Wolf
The Other Brother and a Mother Daughter Bonding Brawl
Where One Adventure Ends, Another Begins
Smug Moms Everywhere

Extracurricular

1.1K 28 58
By JTSmith22

The scene opens to Pyrrha gearing up in a locker room. As she walks out of the locker room, we cut to her sparring with Cardin Winchester and back again. Eventually, the fight scene includes the other members of Team CRDL.

While she is still exiting toward the arena, the scene cuts to her spar with Team CRDL.

Glynda approaches from behind Cardin who clutches his ribs.

Glynda calls out to the class as the fight is finished.

"And that's the match."

Cardin spits out in distaste.

"Lucky shot."

Cardin gives one last look of disgust at Pyrrha and collapses.

Glynda continues.

"Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

In her soft voice, Pyrrha replied gratefully.

"Thank you, professor."

Glynda taps her Scroll.

"Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match."

Glynda looks around at the observing students.

"Any volunteers? Ms. Belladonna?"

Blake slams her book shut and stares wide-eyed at Glynda.

"You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you -"

Mercury raises his hand.

"I'll do it."

Glynda raises her eyebrow at him and taps her scroll.

"Mercury, is it? Very well, let's find you an opponent."

"Actually, I wanna fight... her."

Mercury points to Pyrrha.

Pyrrha is taken aback.

"Me?"

Glynda clearly does not approve.

"I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished the match. I recommend you choose another partner.*

Pyrrha begins to reply.

"No, it's fine…"

She doesn't get a chance to finish. Y/N leaps into the arena and speaks softly to Pyrrha

"Pyrrha, I have a bad feeling about him, let me take this one."

Clearly conflicted, it takes Pyrrha a few moments to think it over. Then she whispers back at him.

"Fine, but I want a rematch. You and I haven't settled our score."

Y/N laughs. It was true in the ten times that they'd faced each other in combat, they'd had 8 draws and one victory each. Y/N had been careful though to not use the full extent of his semblance or Aura. There was no reason to burn her with his full Aura, punch her so hard that she flew through the wall, but the calculation part of his semblance he was happy to use. Pyrrah was one of the few fighters who could engage him, pull him down the rabbit hole so to speak. So stepping in for his friend was easy. It was something he did without a second thought.

Y/N speaks louder as he addresses Mercury.

"How bout it big shot? Am I a suitable replacement for my friend?"

Shrugging, Mercury can't find a reason to deny him.

"Fine, I guess I'll fight this big oaf."

In the stands Yang heard this and starts to stand up, her eyes going red...no one calls her Titan a big oaf. Then Blake holds her arm.

"Yang, you know what Y/N can do. Let him fight his own battle. I bet he's going to win this without breaking a sweat."

Yang takes a second to calm down. Then she thinks over Blake's words. It's true, Y/N is quite the accomplished fighter. Hell the only person she'd say that could give him a run for his money is Uncle Qrow. He has this in the bag. That doesn't stop her from yelling out in encouragement though.

"Kick his ass Titan!"

Y/N raises his right hand high and gives Yang the peace sign. She smiles in response, her boyfriend is already in the zone. After a quick check to make sure all his gear is ready, Y/N nods to Glynda. He's ready. Mercury just struts down into the ring, taking his sweet time. All the while sizing Y/N up. By the time he's in the arena, Pyrrha is already in the stands sitting next to her team, eager to see this. Mercury sees the large sword and the hooded cloak. He smirks and whispers to Y/N.

"So, looks like you took lessons from an old drunk huh? Well, after I beat you, I'll go and show him that his style is out of date and obsolete too."

Y/N fully knows that Mercury is trying to bait him, but can't help the vein on his forehead that starts to bulge out, even with his signature smile still firmly in place. He remains silent until Glynda gives them the go ahead.

"Remember boys, knockout or Aura in the red are the stopping conditions. Alright...match start!"

With that Mercury starts it off with a swift kick towards Y/N's thigh. Watching closely, Y/N catches it and redirects the momentum. Mercury is thrown off balance, but quickly recovers by shooting a bullet from his boot to redirect himself back into the right path. He throws a few quick and light kicks at Y/N's legs, who tanks a couple before getting used to them. He then starts to block the kicks with his own. Y/N smirks, he hasn't even had to unsheath any weapons yet and he was playing with Mercury. Mercury gets visibly thrown by this, so he decides to knock Y/N off balance mentally so he can do so physically. He gets close to Y/N and taunts quietly.

"Maybe if I bet you, I'll lure that blonde bombshell of yours to my bed instead of yours."

Y/N's smile falters just for a second as does his reflexes. Mercury thinks he has gained the upper hand. In reality, he's just pissed Y/N off. He decided to let Mercury think he has the upper hand and slows down his reactions a bit. At this, team RWBY and Pyrrha are surprised.

Ruby Rose turns toward Emerald sitting behind her.

"Hey, your friend's doing pretty good."

Emerald gives a fake smile and then rolls her eyes as Ruby turns her back.

Pyrrha is studying Y/N, knowing that he is quite a bit better than this showing. Then she sees a glint in his eyes and leans back to Yang. 

"Yang. This isn't good."

Yang replies confidently. 

"This is nothing, he can beat this schmuck."

Pyrrha shook her head.

"No you don't understand. He has that glint in his eyes…"

Yang's face goes very pale as she sees what Pyrrha pointed out.

"Oh crap. He is pissed. What did that silver haired bastard say to him?!"

Pyrrha shook her head. Blake then leans forward and adds to the conversation with a tired voice and dark circles under her eyes..

"Whatever it was, Y/N is playing with him. If that guy says one more thing, he's going to get the same treatment as the Nevermore on initiation day…"

As if he had heard them talking, Y/N turned towards the three anxious girls and gave them a quick wink. Then he went back to fighting Mercury. Mercury was obviously trying to get him to show his skills, so Y/N decided to give him a little taste. Y/N kicked Mercury's leg to block a fierce blow, but put enough energy behind it to separate the two of them a bit. Using this space and time, Y/N flipped his hood up and unsheathed Quake. Then he lunged in and started to swing wildly, smashing Quake into the ground and creating craters, shaking even the stands that the students were sitting in. He was showing no form and yet still pushing Mercury back with his onslaught. 

Thinking he had pushed Y/N to the braking point, Mercury decided that showing off more of his own skills was a bad idea. But in the moment it took him to decide that, Y/N had launched a strike that would have knocked Mercury out. So Mercury is caught by surprise and kicks out at one of Y/N's arms. The millisecond before his foot hits? Y/N triggers his Aura in the spot and cranks it up a notch. The flaming Aura emenating from the spot brings Mercury's boot to an abrupt halt and starts to burn away the fabric of his boot, exposing a bit of machinery beneath it. Panicking, Mercury kicks off and lands on the opposite side of the ring from Y/N. 

After taking a breath to clear his mind, Mercury holds up his hands and calls out nonchalantly.

"I forfeit."

Y/N grinds out his next question, still a bit pissed off.

"You don't even want to finish what you started, hot shot?"

Mercury shrugs before replying.

"What's the point? You're a massive Titan, one hit from that huge sword of yours and I'd be toast. We're obviously leagues apart.

Glynda's voice comes in. It was laced with that "I knew this was gonna happen" tone.

"In that case... Y/N Lennox is the victor of the match... for the 80th time."

As Y/N walks over to Mercury to shake his hand, everyone looks up at the Aura bars. Y/N's is a sliver away from perfect while Mercury's is changed from green to red indicating his loss. 

When Y/N takes Mercury's hand, he pulls Mercury in a little closer to whisper to him.

"Next time you think you're going to be the smartest guy in the room and scope out you're enemies' moves, make sure you're actually the smartest guy in the room. You never know, playing with fire will get those metallic feet of yours melted. Watch your back kid, you never know what'll happen next time you piss off the wrong guy. They may not just play with you like I did."

Mercury's eyes had started to widen as he was pulled closer, now they looked like freaking dinner plates.

Glynda waves them off the stage and calls out at a now shaking Mercury.

"Next time, you may want to think a little harder before choosing an opponent."

Mercury, with a voice trying not to betray the intense fear he felt, responded.

"I-I-I'll be sure to do that."

An alarm sounds which jolts Blake who has nodded off.

Glynda then addresses the rest of her students.

"That is all for today. And remember, the dance is this weekend. But you all have your first mission on Monday. I will not accept any excuses."

As everyone leaves, Mercury stops beside Emerald.

Mercury hisses at her.

"Learning about your enemies will be so much fun, you said. It will be easy, you said. That big bastard wants to gut me like a fish, and I believe he could!"

The Mercury stalks out, leaving a very confused and slightly scared Emerald sitting by herself. 

Outside, SSSN are standing at the entrance as Team RWBY walks past. Sun notices Blake and runs after her.

Sun calls to Blake.

"Hey, Blake!"

Sun grabs Blake by her shoulder. 

"You uh, doing okay?"

Blake shuts the book she is reading.

"I'm fine."

Sun starts talking while running his head.

"So I hear there's this dance going on this weekend... ah, sounds pretty lame, but you and me, I'm thinking, not as lame, huh?"

Blake looks at him angrily.

"What?"

Sun continues, unaffected by her angry voice.

"The dance! This weekend! You wanna go, or what?"

Blake retorts coolly.

"I don't have time for a stupid dance. I thought you of all people would get that."

Blake walks away past her team. Sun sinks from his rejection.

Pyrrha and Yang walked up to Y/N. Yang spoke up first.

"So what did that jackass say to rile you up so much?"

Y/N sucked in his breath. 

"Well he pushed two sore points. First he insulted my mentor."

Pyrrha spoke up curious.

"Who is your mentor exactly? The person who trained you must be amazing indeed."

Y/N smirked and continued, ignoring her completely.

"Then he kind of said he was going to take Yang…"

He whispered the next part.

"Hesaidhewasgoingtotakeyoufrommeanditpissedmeoff."

Pyrrha and Yang had no idea what Y/N had just said. So Pyrrah asked him.

"What was that Y/N?"

Sighing and throwing his hands up, Y/N spoke up this time.

"He said he was going to take you from me Yang. But not just in that way. He said he was going to take you to his bed."

Pyrrha is taken aback. Y/N looks angry and Yang...Yang started laughing.

"You actually think that skinny little rat could take me from you? You, who are Titan incarnate with a heart of gold, believes a scumbag like him would be able to even pull my eyes off of you?"

Kicking the floor as he muttered, Y/N's face looked a bit childish.

"Well when you put it like that, it sounds like I was an idiot."

Yang snuggles up to Y/N. She reaches up to his face and caresses it.

"Yes Titan, but you are my idiot."

Yang chuckles and kisses Y/N's cheek. Then she prances off down the hall. Y/N sighs and looks at Pyrrha.

"I guess I really do look like an idiot huh Firefly? I shouldn't have gone all psycho on the guy. I mean sure I played with his head, but I really let him have an earful."

Pyrrah laughs softly.

"I think it was sweet you defended Yang. She may not need protecting, but it's the thought that counts. Besides, giving an enemy a false idea of your strength and then intimidating them is tactically sound. It may have been a bit overboard, but it was admirable. Remember Y/N, not everyone has your resolve. Most people would have broken by now had they gone through what you did. Yet somehow you are one of the kindest people here. If Yang hadn't gotten to you first….well who knows?" 

She said that and took off herself. Tobias crept up behind Y/N. 

"Huh, quite the lady killer there bro."

"Shut up. You know Yang is special to me."

Tobias laughs. He knows this indeed. He puts his arm around his brother's neck. 

"Let's head back to the dorm dude." 

They laugh and then say together.

"But not before we get FOOD!"

They take off for the cafeteria. 

Later

Blake's voice sounds indignant.

"You what?"

The scene shifts to team RWBY in their dorm room. Blake is sitting with her arms crossed.

Ruby speaks to her as if nothing is wrong.

"We want you to go to the dance."

Blake responds angrily.

"That's ridiculous."

Yang tries to convince Blake.

"Blake, we're worried about you. This investigation is starting to mess with your head."

Weiss starts counting the facts on her fingers.

"You can't sleep, you hardly eat, and to be honest, your grades have been suffering.*

"You think I care about grades?"

Blake shrugs and then gestures out the window.

"People's lives are at stake!*

Yang puts her hand on Blake's, lowering it before responding.

"We know, and we're all still trying to figure out what Torchwick is up to."

Ruby continues the conversation.

"Thanks to you and Sun, we know they're operating somewhere outside of southeast Vale."

Weiss adds thoughtfully.

"And, the Schnee company records singled out Vale as the primary target for Dust robberies over the last few months."

Yang pipes up.

"Don't forget about their missing military tech too."

Blake still doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the rest of them.

"But there's still unanswered questions!"

Ruby is very concerned for her friend.

"Blake, you won't be able to find anything if you can't even keep your eyes open!"

Yang presses harder.

"All we're asking is that you take it easy for one day."

Weiss helps a little by speaking up. 

"It will be fun! Yang and I will make sure of it."

Yang adds happily.

"Yeah! We're planning the whole event!"

Yang pumps her fists which causes the bed to bounce Blake.

Blake looks at them in disbelief.

"Excuse me?"

Weiss explains.

"Team CFVY's away mission lasted longer than expected."

Yang continues. 

"So, Weiss and I were asked to pick up where they left off. And now we can make sure you have the perfect night."

Weiss adds logic to their argument.

"And once it's all over, we'll return for our search, rested and ready."

Ruby asks Blake cautiously.

"So what do ya think?"

Blake answers immediately, not even giving a thought to it.

"I think this is a colossal waste of time."

Blake walks away from the group and opens the dorm door.

Blake give them one final sentence before leaving.

"I'll be in the library."

She walks out of the room.

Yang sighs.

"Great."

Weiss shakes her head.

"She can't keep going on like this." A knock is heard and Yang goes to open it. Y/N smiles at her. 

"May I come in sunshine?" This has Yang smiling.

"Of course Titan, you're always welcome."

He follows her inside and closes the door behind him. 

"I've just come back from a kitchen raid with Sparky. So, I thought I'd share my haul. Heads up Red!" 

He tosses Ruby a bag. When she smells it, she immediately goes nuts. It's chocolate chip cookies. 

"Ice Queen, your favorite pastries."

He throws her a box of her favorite pastries, but she has a more...dignified response. As Ruby just starts chowing down, Weiss thanks him...before chowing down herself.

"Thanks Y/N!"

Y/N turns to Yang who looks at him expectantly.

"Did you bring me some kind of food?"

Smirking, Y/N hides the box he got Yang.

"Oh but Sunshine, I brought me. What more could you need?"

Yang makes a pouty face before coming over to him and hugging his stomach.

"Curse you and your logic. You always know just what to say don't you?"

She then smiles and he pulls a box from behind his back. 

"I also know your favorite is a Strawberry Sunrise, so I made you two of them from scratch."

She opens the box and in two clear cups are indeed strawberry sunrises.

"But of course there's one thing not in there that is necessary."

Y/N pulls two things out of his shirt's breast pocket.

"The umbrellas of course."

Taking one and putting it in one of the cups, Yang takes a sip. Her eyes shoot open and a smile expands on her face.

"Babe, I've said this before, but damn you are the best. Do you know that?"

After a proud smirk, he nods.

"I know."

He then pulls out one more box and sets it on Blake's bookshelf. Turns back around and starts to ask Yang a question before a knock at the door which Weiss approaches and opens it. Jaune appears at the door with a guitar. He starts singing.

"Weiss!"

Weiss slams the door in his face and Y/N grimaces.

Jaune calls through the door.

"Oh, come on, open the door! I promise not to sing."

Weiss opens the door, then quickly regrets it as Jaune starts singing again.

"I lied! Weiss Schu-nee, will you accompany me, to the dance on... Sunday!?"

Weiss gives him a death stare and says in a monotone.

"Are you done?"

With a shrug, Jaune replies.

"Yes?"

Weiss answers immediately and without hesitation. 

"No."

She shuts the door in his face. Turning around, she sees the others staring at her.

"What?"

Both girls are standing precariously while Y/N is grimacing at the utter shut down he just witnessed.

Yang is the first to speak. 

"And that is why they call you the Ice Queen."

Ruby finally collapses.

Weiss waves it off.

"All my life, boys have only cared about the perks of my last name. Besides, I already have a date in mind."

Y/N shakes his head. If he were Jaune, he'd have given up long ago and noticed the beautiful redhead always at his side, but Jaune was Jaune. So he decided to give Jaune a little endorsement.

"Look Weiss. I don't think Jaune is after your name. Now if you have a date in mind that's great. But I think you could do a lot worse than the loveable goof. He really does like you ya know. I mean I get where his coming from. You're pretty and sophisticated and talented. That's all he sees. He doesn't take into account the 'Schnee Family name' and he barely considers the Ice Queen side of you that turns the rest of us off. He's a good guy Weiss. If you always look for suave, all you're going to find are charismatic lady killers."

Weiss had been surprised when Y/N had given her a compliment, she was even surprised when he called her pretty. Then she frowned when he mentioned her 'Ice Queen' side. She indignantly huffed and responded.

"I didn't know you could see my kind of pretty Y/N. I thought you just went for the blonde bombshells." 

Y/N laughed. 

"Nope."

Weiss is clearly confused.

"Nope?" 

Y/N answered with a smile and a loving glance at Yang.

"I love her for who she is, not for how she looks. She could grow old and lose half of herself and I'd still love her till the sun grows cold. So while I can see other kinds of pretty, like your sophisticated pretty, Ruby's cuteness, Blake's bewitching beauty, Pyrrha's elegant beauty, and Nora's...crazy cute, I only see Yang as the one for me." He shakes his head and realizes why he had come in the first place. As she finishes her second Strawberry Sunrise, Y/N asks Yang.

"Would you be my date to the dance, my Sunny Dragon?"

Yang takes on a formal air as she replies.

"Why yes my Titan, I'd love to accompany you to the dance. However I will have to go early so you can just meet me there Y/N. Then you can be my date once my greeting duties are done."

Ruby sighs.

"Date or no date, none of this will matter if we can't get Blake to go." Y/N gathers it didn't go to well.

"If there's anything I can do to help, you ladies let me know. Otherwise, I have to attend a team meeting. Have a good night Rubes, Sunshine, Ice Queen."

He walks out as Yang and Ruby happily wave him off. Weiss finally gives in and waves as well as he shuts the door. Yang then giggles a few moments after he is gone.

"He is mine. I'm never giving him up you understand?"

Weiss raises her hands in mock disgust, but her voice can't hide the slight dissatisfaction.

"He just called me pretty, you think that's all it takes?"

Without hesitation Yang replies.

"Yes, yes I do. And no, no you cannot have him."

Ruby is rocking back and forth on her bed whispering to herself 

"I'm not cute, I'm not the bee's knees. I'm a normal girl with normal knees. Yeah, not cute, normal, that's what I am." Then she continues to chew on her cookies as Yang rolls her eyes. Sometimes, Y/N was too smooth for his own damn good. But seeing as he did it to make his friend be taken more seriously, and that he had basically said that she was his one and only for the rest of time, Yang was willing to let it slide. Plus, she reasoned, he didn't say anything that wasn't true. She sighed. 

Opening his owndorm door, Y/N smiled. It had been silly of him to be nervous. They had been dating for a while now, but he had been nervous asking her to the dance. He guessed it was from the two year hiatus from normal human interactions that had led to that. He shook his head as he walked into his room. Sara nodded to him and kicked Tobias's boot to wake him up.

"Titan's here Sparky, time to go see the wizard."

Tobias rolls off of Sara's bed and they all head out. As they walked, Lily kept poking at Y/N.

"Soooooo, how'd it go?"

Sara didn't even let him reply.

"Seeing as he is smiling and not sullen I'd say it went pretty well. But it sure took him a long time. I mean hell, even Sparky asked me last week. What took you so long Titan."

Y/N stayed quiet for just a second too long as Tobias realized something.

"Oh my Oum! He was scared…"

This time, Y/N doesn't hesitate to speak as the girls gasped.

"So what if I was. You seem to forget that this is my first time back with society in two years, and the first time I've ever had a girlfriend."

Lily piped up.

"So that's what it takes to scare you? Not huge Nevermore, enemy Huntsmen and rogue Kidnappers? What the hell kind of logic is that? It's easy to see you two were made for each other. You're going to have to do something Earth shattering for her to not see you in the best light."

Sara was a bit wiser, having heard his whole story.

"Well I think that being scared to lose the ones we care for isn't such a bad thing you two. Not everyone has had sunshine and rainbows for a daily life like we have."

Y/N nodded his thanks to Sara and walked a little bit ahead to tap the button for the elevator to Ozpin's office in the massive tower of Beacon. As he did, Sara glared at the other two, who had forgotten just for a second what Y/N had lost. They hung their heads, ashamed of themselves. Sara couldn't entirely blame them though. The way Y/N carried himself, talked, hell even how he interacted with others gave no hints to his pain filled past. They rode up the elevator in silence until Y/N told them about how Jaune had asked Weiss to the dance. Needless to say, that livened things up and they were all laughing again as the doors opened to Ozpin sipping his coffee, Glynda staring out the window, and...John Crater giving the kids a smirk.

"Uncle John?!" Y/N walked over and gave the old man a hug.

"Hey there sport! Ladies, how have you been? Sparky, glad to see you're still in one piece."

The rest of team STLL came over and hugged John. He meant a lot to them. Then Glynda cleared her throat and they all turned towards her and Ozpin.

"Well as Captain Crater said, students, it is good to see you in one piece. After the fiasco early this semester with Tobias's kidnapping, Captain Crater and I have been working together to find the people responsible. Ms. Javelin, does this man look familiar?"

Ozpin pauses and Glynda swipes her Scroll, causing a picture of the man Sara had seen fleeing the Warehouse that night to project itself in mid air. Sara's voice ground through her teeth as she replied.

"That's the bastard. I wouldn't forget that face for anything."

Ozpin nodded.

"It turns out he was once a scientist for the Atlas Military.  His name is Jack Lang. He was researching Auras and semblances before he was kicked out for testing his research on citizens of Mantle. He escaped the prison they had him in hours after having been placed there. Until the kidnapping, his whereabouts were unknown."

Surprised to hear about the subject of his research, Y/N looked at him more closely. What did he want with Tobias? Then it hit him.

"He wanted Tobias's semblance after the whole Hang fiasco. Anyone who can hold off two rival gangs armed with dust weaponry solo, is a rare commodity. If he could duplicate, or even steal Tobias's semblance, he'd be able to make ridiculous amounts of Lien."

Ozpin smiled grimly.

"Indeed Mr. Lennox. Spot on. I figured you'd be the first one to see it. Now Mr. Ferro's actions that day were commendable, but they put a Target on his back. So be careful from now on alright?"

Tobias nodded before Ozpin continued.

"Having said that, I believe that I very much want to have a talk with this man about his practice of kidnapping my students. An informant of Captain Crater's has found the location of Mr. Lang's hideout. So on Monday, your mission will be to bring him and any of his disgusting research back. Glynda will be your professional Huntress, and you will be authorized to engage. Having said that. Yes I want him alive, and yes I want to see his data to make sure he hasn't done this to others, but your safety is my priority. So if Glynda seems it necessary, you may change your rules of engagement to Search and Destroy, rather than Search and Recovery. Either way, leave nothing behind."

It takes a moment for anyone to say anything, and then Lily is first.

"If we know where he is Professor, then why don't we go get him now?"

Ozpin's eye twinkled as he looked at her.

"Good question Ms. Pines. Well I said we know where his base is. Apparently he himself won't be there until Monday to take delivery of some dust from the informant I mentioned earlier."

Lily nodded at the logic Ozpin gave her. Going in too early could spook the bastard and they'd never find him. Glynda spoke out for the first time.

I know this is a rather un-orthodox mission for first years, bit seeing as three of you busted up his operations before, I believe that if we bring Captain Crater with us, the five of us should prove sufficient to capture or deal with any surprises along the way. However we will not proceed on this mission without unanimous agreem…"

Before she could even finish her sentence, all 4 members stepped forward and said in one voice.

"I volunteer." 

John couldn't help but laugh.

"You see Glynda? I told you they wouldn't hesitate. You know what that means?" 

Glynda Goodwitch, one of the most powerful Huntresses in all of Remnant, sighed and shook her head defeated.

"It means I have to buy you a drink John. I know, I know. But what I don't understand is how you knew that not a single one of them would hesitate. Not a single one of them would even contemplate what they'd be signing up to do."

John winked at Glynda.

"Well beautiful, I saw their resolve once before. It was quite a thing to behold. They're definitely made of tougher stuff than we were at their age. Besides, you were their combat instructor, correct? Who would have any doubts about going into combat with you as their teacher, and by their side?"

Glynda pushed up her glasses in an attempt to cover her face and the unmistakable blush upon it. Ozpin and the children had the good sense not to laugh. Turning her back to John, Glynda looked out to the darkness that lay over Beacon.

"You can stop buttering me up John, I already said yes to the drink." 

Y/N gave John a thumbs up and John started to walk away to the exit.

"You call it buttering you up Glynda, I call it telling the truth. Hell I've been saying it since we graduated from here ourselves, you just never stopped to listen. See ya Monday beautiful."

And with that he steps into the elevator and gives Y/N a smirk. As the doors close, he points at Ozpin and clicks his tongue. Ozpin nods and smiles, before sipping his coffee. After he is gone, Glynda huffs and turns to Ozpin.

"That insufferable braggart! He wins one bet and thinks he's suddenly the most eligible bachelor in Vale…" 

She looks at Ozpin who is smiling, he then points to the four remaining guests, all terribly hiding smirks. Glynda walks up to Y/N.

"Are you going to defend him then? Do you think he's some kind of amazing man?"

Laughing Y/N raises his hands.

"Not at all Professor. His two most memorable quotes are at the restaurant where I told him I was going to Signal Academy. He whispered to me. 'Hey. Take me with you. I hate this job!' Then he stood over his plate afterwards, proclaiming: 'Veni. Vidi. Vici! I came, I saw dessert, and I conquered!' The guy is a spaz, but he isn't such a bad guy once you get used to the bad jokes."

Then Y/N dropped his hands and got serious.

"And he's always there when you need him the most. Never once has he let me down."

With that, Y/N smiled genuinely at her, and turned on his heel, leading his team to the elevator. The meeting was over, and for once, Glynda had no words.

Later that same night, Pyrrha and Jaune are sparring at their spot on the roof. Jaune appears to gain the upper hand until Pyrrha sweeps his legs out from under him.

Pyrrha is laughing happily.

"Well done! Your swordplay's improved immensely."

Pyrrha helps Jaune to his feet.

Jaune smiles and brushes himself off.

"I couldn't have done it without you."

Pyrrha, pauses before continuing onto a touchy subject.

"So, are you ready to move on to Aura?"

Jaune replies, trying to get out of it.

"I'm actually thinking maybe we just skip Aura for tonight? Might go on a jog or something."

"Come on, I know you get frustrated, but you must keep trying. I'm sure you'll discover your Semblance any day now."

Jaune hesitates, knowing that's not it tonight.

"That's not it. It's just…"

He hesitates, not wanting to talk about it.

"It's dumb."

Pyrrha looks at him fondly and asks softly.

"What is it?"

She approaches Jaune and places her hand on his shoulder.

"Jaune, you know you can tell me."

Jaune relents and answers. 

"It's... Weiss."

Pyrrha's face falls slightly. She knows where this is headed.

"Oh. What about her?"

Jaune continues, ignorant of Pyrrha once again, wallowing in his own troubles.

"I asked her to the dance and she shot me down."

He throws up his hands, giggling halfheartedly.

"Big surprise, right?"

Pyrrha tries to gently remind him.

"Well, I believe the saying goes: There's... plenty of fish in the sea."

Jaune starts to get a bit defensive.

"That's easy for you to say. You've probably got guys clamoring over each other just to ask you out."

Pyrrha chuckles half-heartedly.

"You'd be surprised."

Jaune dismisses the thought and continues, bitter and slightly accusatory. 

"Oh please. If you don't get a date to the dance, I'll wear a dress. Heh."

He walks away. Pyrrha drops her smile and looks rather upset. Why couldn't Jaune just see what was right in front of him? It wasn't fair, now even he had put her on the pedestal. Only a handful remained who treated her equally. 

Emerald's voice comes in as the scene changes.

"And finally, Pyrrha Nikos."

The scene shifts to Cinder in her dorm room, sewing a black dress as she sits on one of the beds. Emerald is sitting on the floor while looking at her Scroll, and Mercury is lying on the ground and reading a comic book.

Cinder speaks in her husky voice. 

"Ah, the invincible girl."

Mercury pipes up.

"She's smart, but I wouldn't say invincible. That would be Y/N Lennox."

Cinder looks interested.

"Do tell."

Emerald starts off by talking about Pyrrha.

"Her Semblance is Polarity. But you'd never know just by watching."

Mercury continues the conversation.

"After she made contact with CRDL's gear, she was able to move them around however she wanted. But she only made slight adjustments."

Emerald adds to the analysis.

"Just enough to make it look like she's untouchable. She doesn't broadcast her power, so it puts her opponent at a disadvantage."

Cinder cocks her head in thought.

"Hmm... People assume that she's fated for victory, when she's really taking fate into her own hands. Interesting. Add her to the list."

Mercury speaks up, at first optimistic.

"You should be able to take her no problem."

Then he shivers, remembering the way Y/N had felt when he revealed that he'd been playing with Mercury.

"Y/N Lennox though? That man may be even more powerful than you Cinder. He has this air about him. Always smiling and laughing, but when he figured out my play to see Pyrrha's combat up close? He shut me down and then proceeded to play with me in the ring. He pretended to be taken in by my insults, and I had no idea. Or at least, until he whispered in my ear with a voice that scares me more that hers, he told me to be more careful, or I might get burned."

He shivered again, along with Emerald, who had witnessed the change in Y/N's face.

"Like I said Cinder, he may be able to overpower you."

Cinder replied, unworried by the new enemy, or by her reconing, a new plaything.

"It's not about overpowering the enemy. It's about taking away what power they have. And we will, in time."

Mercury then took heart in her confidence. 

"I hate waiting."

Cinder smiled mischievously.

"Don't worry, Mercury. We have a fun weekend ahead of us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 57 13
"After all this time... you still have the nerve to think I'd bend to your will!? Such arrogance... such foolishness!" "I'd be spitting on my ancesto...
340K 5.3K 25
The world of Remnant is home to many mysteries and myths. Y/N one of the very few who knew the truth was highly capable to combat these threats but e...
84.8K 1.9K 40
Title inspired by Mitmite2 Most of the Jaune Arc fanfictions I read just aren't good enough. They either make him impossibly op or he's unjustly bet...
12.7K 354 10
Y/N spends his time wandering around the world of Remnant, inside and outside the four kingdoms. All for the sake of practicing his Grimm slaying ski...