America: 50☆Stars (Vol. 2)

By LunarJade

Arkansas drops turkeys. Oregon sees leprechauns. Kansas holds a sex toy auction. And 2020 ruins everything... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
Episode 1: Ah Shit, Here We Go Again
Episode 2: The United States of SMASH (Part 1)
Episode 3: The United States of SMASH (Part 2)
Episode 4: Storm Area 51
Episode 5: Robinson Crusoe
Episode 6: Happiness is...
Episode 7: The Lost Colony
Episode 8: Gates of Hell
Episode 9: Baby Shark Wins Baseball
Episode 10: A Latte Pumpkins
Episode 11: Amonute - The Playful One
Episode 12: Drop It Like It's Trot
Episode 13: Space Sister
Episode 14: Helpless
Episode 15: Satisfied
Episode 16: How Christmas Came to Hawaii
Episode 17: The Rake Who Wrote the Constitution
Episode 18: The Rake Who Wooed the French
Birthday Shoutout
Episode 19: The Chinese Zodiac
Episode 20: Comeback City Chiefs
Taking Questions for Q&A
Episode 21: Matoaka - The Powhatan Princess
Episode 22: February Flowers (Part 1)
Episode 23: February Flowers (Part 2)
Episode 24: Love from Lydia
Episode 25: Q&A
Episode 27: Florida Man
Episode 28: The Tale of Patrick O'Toole
Episode 29: The Battle of Glorieta Pass
Episode 30: Our Fiasco
A/N: Thanks for 100 Followers!
Episode 31: Rebecca - The Peace of Pocahontas
Episode 32: Troublesome Tumbleweed
Episode 33: Fascines and Ladders
Episode 34: Mickey Moo & Minnie Moo
Episode 35: Rhinos and Unicorns and Bears, Oh My!
Episode 36: The Grand Empress of Savannah
Episode 37: Better Days (Part 1)
Episode 38: Better Days (Part 2)
Episode 39: This is the Place
Episode 40: I was Surrounded by Heroines
Episode 41: The Honey War
Episode 42: Orphans & Krakheads
Episode 43: National Dog Day
Episode 44: Water. Earth. Fire. Air.
Episode 45: The Kansas Experiment
Episode 46: The Beach Episode
Episode 47: Yumburger in Paradise
Episode 48: The Only Woman
Episode 49: Gakuen 50☆Stars (Part 1)
Episode 50: Gakuen 50☆Stars (Part 2)
End of Volume 2

Episode 26: Pink Bluebonnets

359 8 5
By LunarJade

Many years ago, two Hispanic children were scampering through a field of wildflowers near San Antonio. They were on their way to the old mission church to pay their Lenten devotion. Following behind them was their slower grandmother. Dressed in rusty black, she was painfully thin, and her face was seamed with many fine lines.

"¡Abuela (Grandmother)! There is a white flower with all the blue ones!" the excited girl hollered as she pointed at the unique flower.

"Those are bluebonnets," her grandmother explained, "and sometimes, very seldom, there is a white one among them. Some even say that the Lone Star of the Texas flag was fashioned after a spot of white bluebonnets amongst a field of blue."

The little boy stood still and gestured to the bloom at his feet. "But what about this pink one then?"

They studied the pure pink bluebonnet for a moment before the grandmother turned to the children and spoke, "If the white ones are special, then the pink ones mean even more." She paused. "When I was a little girl, my grandmother told me a special story about these rare flowers. They seem to only grow downstream from the Alamo Mission, and that is because of something that happened here many years ago.

It was when Texas was only a remote province of Mexico. The Americanos and other foreigners had not been settled here for long, but trade was busy. We all had hopes of a golden future for our country.

Our family had a fine house and farm near the old cathedral. My papa would rise early, take his tools, and work the land before the day grew too hot. Then after the noon siesta, everyone would wake in the cool of dusk. The adults would bathe in the clear river while we children splashed in the shallows. Everyone would dance, eat, and visit until late into the evening. Sometimes the Americanos came to celebrate with us, but their talk always turned to politics. They were angered because the Constitution had been overthrown by a terrible Mexican dictator. The men all went about with frowns, and the women began to be afraid.

Then came that bitter spring when we learned that the dictator was on his way to our city with many troops. Papa was torn between joining the Americanos to fortify the old mission compound and fear for his family. He eventually decided to hide us in the countryside."

The grandmother looked back at the Alamo Mission and sighed, "Every time I look at the ruins of the mission chapel, I remember the fear we lived in during that time. Day and night, we heard the cannons and the rifles firing in the distance. The brave new Texans fought long and hard. In the end, they were overwhelmed by the Mexican troops. After the shots had finally ended, we crept silently home in the darkness. Mama and Papa were thankful that our lives had been spared, but it broke their hearts to learn of the many who had lost their lives in that terrible battle. Mama often cried when she passed the homes where friends had fallen.

One day, several years later, I found her putting a pink wildflower in a vase beside the statue of the Virgin. She told me she had found it near the river where it had once been white, but so much blood had been shed, it had taken the tint of it."

The grandmother paused to look at the pink bluebonnet. "That is why you will only find the pink ones near the river, within sight of the old mission," she said. "So remember, children. The next time you see a pink bluebonnet, it's not only a pretty flower but a symbol of the struggle to survive and a memory of those who died for Texas to be free."

☆☆☆☆☆

March 6, 2020—San Antonio, Texas

At six o'clock in the evening, the Alamo Mission is closed to visitors. Yet, the historical monument is about to receive two more. One of them is a Tennessean. The other is a Texan who originally grew up around here. Pinned over their hearts are pink bluebonnets made out of soft pink yarn and green wire.

"Man, it sure is chilly around here." Tennessee glances at his friend whose eyes are focused on the YETI soft cooler she carried. "What ya got in there?"

"Ya know. Some ice cream."

Tennessee doesn't question her reasons. He's accustomed to her bringing all sorts of things to the mission, ranging from Fuddruckers to Shipley's Donuts. Knowing her, he figures the ice cream in the bag is Blue Bell.

Texas uses a special key to unlock one of the doors, allowing them inside the shrine.

~ Hetalia! ~

At one point in their private tour of the Alamo Mission, Tennesee strays left and arrives at the Cavalry Courtyard alone. He's familiar with the area, but this is the first time he gets to see the bronze sculptures that were added last year in late April.

There are six statues in total. The one he's most interested in is a Tennessean who volunteered to fight for Texas's liberation from Mexico. Whoever sculpted him did a great job depicting the details and likeness of the folk hero, having him wear his iconic coonskin cap and hunting suit. The most eye-catching feature is the rifle. Most sculptures of the frontiersmen have the rifle positioned in a dignified manner, against their side or in their arms like they're cradling a baby. But to better capture the "King of the Wild Frontier", the sculptor has the figure hold their rifle over their shoulders in a casual manner. With a sharp brow and a witty smirk that exudes confidence in his abilities as a sharpshooter, the statue really looks like David Crockett standing before him.

He can imagine the frontiersman talking to him right there. 'Hey, there. What do you want me to do? Defend the church? Sure thing. No, I'm not afraid of dying. I'm here to fight. Now, let's get right to work preparing for our last stand.'

He smirks. "Always be sure you are right, then go ahead. That's what you always say before making decisions."

"I still stand by those words."

Startled, Tennesee turns to his right and sees his mentor standing next to him, looking up at his statue. "Davy!"

Crockett chuckles, "Man, I sure do look good in bronze."

He looks back up at the statue with a nod. "Yeah. The sculptor did ya justice."

"By the way, where's the Texas girl?" He looks around the courtyard.

"She's somewhere around the place. She tends to have a mind of her own, especially whenever we're here."

He softly smiles. "Ya did any good hunting recently?"

"Some quails and squirrels." He shows him some photos of his hunts on his phone.

"Nice."

His eyes brighten. "I also plan to hunt some wild turkeys later in the spring. I'll be sure to take pictures of those hunts and show you." He continues his chat with Crockett.

~ Hetalia! ~

After wandering around the garden for a while, Texas finally sets herself down on the edge of a fountain. She whistles the tune of "Deep in the Heart of Texas" while waiting.

"I was hoping you brought Whataburger."

She looks up and smiles at a familiar face. "Hey, there, Jim!"

The ghost of James Bowie smiles back. "What ya got in that box?" He sets himself down next to her.

She opens the soft cooler and shows him the pints of Blue Bell ice cream inside. "Do ya want cookies 'n cream or homemade vanilla?"

"I'll take vanilla."

She hands him a pint and a spoon. "Where's Travis?"

He shrugs. "Beats me. He still mopin' about me cheatin' at cards. Sore loser, that guy." He eats a spoonful of homemade vanilla ice cream. "Mmm, that's some good ice cream."

"Hopefully, Travis gets here before I leave. I hate to leave him with an empty stomach." Texas takes a pint of cookies 'n cream ice cream for herself.

"Say, I heard there are plans to expand this place. That true?"

"Yeah." Texas shows him the plans on her phone. "The plan is to recreate the plaza. It's gonna cost $450 million, but I think it's worth it."

"$450 million?!" he scoffs. "You could buy the Louisiana Territory thirty times!"

"I wish!" she laughs. "Seriously though, I hope to expand this place, so people know what we've been through..."

He's quick to notice her grow quiet. "I thought I told you to stop beating yourself up. There's nothing you could've done to prevent what happened."

She smiles sadly. "Still, it happened. All I can do is carry that memory for the rest of my life. And every time I remember what happened here, I can't help wonder if things could turn out differently—for all of us..."

He softly pats the top of her cowboy hat. "What matters is that you're free. You're free thanks to our sacrifice." He looks around the peaceful garden and the pint of ice cream in his hands. "I should bring Maria and the children along with me when we see each other again. I bet they like some ice cream, donuts, kolaches, burgers... God, you have it lucky." He has another bite of ice cream.

"Hey! Why didn't you wait for me?"

The pair look up at the ghost of a 26-year-old named William B. Travis stomping toward them.

Texas waves at him. "Hey, Travis! Glad to see ya here."

"Took ya long enough." Bowie frowns. "What's wrong with ya making the young lady wait?"

"Fuck you!" Travis spat. "I would've been here on time if I was told she was comin' to visit Friday instead of Saturday!"

"My mistake." He feigns his guilt. "I thought the 6th was Saturday. Whoops." He eats another spoonful of ice cream.

"You owe me an apology!"

"Why? It's your fault for trusting me. You should get yourself a calendar."

"You're such a pain in the ass!"

"What's with all the yellin'?"

Everyone looks over at Crockett and Tennessee coming toward them.

Travis huffs, "As co-commander of the Alamo, I expect Bowie to treat me respectively."

"Well, as your fellow co-commander of the Alamo, I expect you to own up to your tardiness instead of blaming me," Bowie rebukes.

The co-commanders give each other glares, producing an electric current between them.

"Now, now." Crockett steps between them. "We can settle our differences after some ice cream. At least, that's what I've been told."

"Yeah." Texas hands Travis a pint of milk chocolate ice cream and Crockett a pint of coffee ice cream.

"You got any rocky road?" Tennessee asks.

"You bet!"

Travis looks back at Bowie with a pout. "I suppose we can talk about your behavior later."

He smirks. "Fine by me."

A smile grows on Texas's face seeing everyone get along. "Awesome!"

~ Hetalia! ~

Hey, hey, daddy, give me whiskey!
Hey, hey, mommy, hey, hey, mommy!
I cannot forget the taste of that
Elvis sandwich I ate so long ago!

Draw a circle, that's the Earth!
Hey, I'm Tennessee!

Draw a circle, that's the Earth!
Looking closely, that's the Earth!
Or maybe, that's the Earth?
I'm the Volunteer State!

Ah, with just a brushstroke,
A wonderful world can be seen!
Wearing a raccoon on my head
I'm Tennessee!

☆☆☆☆☆

+ The Alamo Mission in San Antonio, Texas is a historic landmark as well as a UNESCO World Heritage Site that receives 1.5 million visitors annually. The place was created in 1718 as a Spanish mission and fortress compound for religious and military use. It's most famously known as the site of the Battle of the Alamo—an important event in the Texas Revolution where around two hundred Texians, Tejanos, and immigrants died trying to defend the mission from Mexican troops commanded by Santa Anna, inspiring the phrase, "Remember the Alamo!" Since 2011, ownership of the Alamo Mission belongs to the Texas General Land Office which has joint plans to restore and expand the Alamo Complex and the Alamo Historic District.

+ Pink bluebonnets are a rare color variation among Texas bluebonnets. According to legend, pink bluebonnets were originally white bluebonnets grown downstream from the Alamo Mission. Because so much blood had been shed at the Battle of the Alamo, it was natural for the white bluebonnets to take a tint of it. Interestingly enough, there are wild pink bluebonnets grown along the side of the road just south of downtown San Antonio.

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment on the episode.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

561K 8.6K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
39.9K 2.1K 25
{Short Chapter Story} Jisung grew up in an abusive home with an alcoholic mother and a drug addict/drug seller father but he still manages to remain...
267K 7.8K 87
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
28.3K 930 16
Shadow comes home (after work from GUN) but on his way home he hears a whimper then he finds a big (which is a small baby pup) surprise. And you'll n...