Tangled Webs -Oscar Diaz-

By xoscreamxo

Ana Sofia Martinez, or simply Sofia to her friends, had just graduated high school. Rather than going to coll... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
The End

Chapter 5

13.7K 289 8
By xoscreamxo

The following morning Sofia woke up with Ruby standing over her. "Jesus," Sofia jumped up from her sleeping position. "What is wrong with you?"

"I danced with Olivia last night," Ruby smiled sitting on the bed. "And I think it went well. Now, today is Halloween, so I have to step up my game."

Sofia rubbed the sleep from her eyes and began processing her brother's words. She was happy that her brother was coming out of his comfort zone, but she didn't need to be woken up from her sleep. "I am happy for you, but couldn't this wait till later?"

"No," Ruby snapped, "no. I am coming up with a plan, and I need your help."

"My help," Sofia was confused about why he needed her help. Ruby had three very close friends he could rely on that weren't her. "Why do you need my help?"

Ruby rolled his eyes, "because Olivia has been eyeing the other players. Monse and Jamal are hopeless wingmen, which is why I need you."

"You need me," she smiled. Sofia was happy that her younger brother needed her help.

"Don't let it go to your head."

Sofia's smile fell, "okay, fine. What do you need my help with?"

"I need you to go buy decorations for the shut-in this year," Ruby began his plan. "Not overly scary, but just right. Also, buy a costume you're repetitive cat costume won't work this year."

"What's wrong with my cat costume," Sofia asked slightly hurt by Ruby's comment. She had worn that costume for the last three Halloweens and didn't have an issue with it.

"It's tacky, slightly dated," Ruby shrugged. "Also, plan to pick us up a pizza."

Sofia blinked at her younger brother. She couldn't believe all the demands he was giving her. In the past, Sofia had spent her Halloweens with Mario, but this year would be her first without him. She planned to take the twins to a friend's house; however, that seemed to change. "Anything else?"

Ruby thought for a moment, "would it be too obvious if I had her and I sit on the love seat together."

"No," Sofia smiled, "it wouldn't."

"Great," Ruby pushed himself off the bed. "Monse and Jamal can sit on the other couch."

"Seems like you have this all planned out," Sofia laughed at her brother's enthusiasm.

"Of course, I've been planning this all night," Ruby put his hand on his hip. "Please have this all set up by the time we return from school."

Sofia nodded, "of course." She was happy that today was a teacher's workday at her college. "You will not be disappointed."

"I know, and I left a list of snacks to buy on the counter," with that, Ruby was walking out of the room. Sofia sat on her bed for a moment longer before swinging her legs over the side. She was going to set up the house for Ruby, and she wasn't going to fail.

~~~~~~~

Sofia made a small stop at the convenience store down the street. She planned on buying any snacks, drinks, and candy Ruby had asked for there because it was cheaper. If Sofia was going to be buying food, a costume, and decorations with what little money Ruby gave her, then she was going to have to be cheap. She started with the snacks, grabbing two bags of chips before moving to the candy aisle. Sofia's eyes scanned the small row of candy bags trying to figure out which one to get. Ruby hadn't asked for a specific kind of candy, only that he wanted a single bag's worth. "I would go with the chocolate," a voice spoke from behind Sofia. The young girl gasped jumping forward. Her head quickly turned in the direction of the voice, and her eyes landed on Oscar.

"I'm sorry," she asked, confused.

"The candy," Oscar nodded at the candy. "You've been staring at it for five minutes."

"I have not," Sofia mumbled side-eyeing him. "What are you doing here?"

"What does it look like," Oscar raised his arm showing his own basket that was full of beef jerky, sun chips, and beer. "Are you having a party or something?"

"No," she mumbled under her breath. "I'm just helping Ruby out, but I think I should be asking you that question."

Oscar smiled, "not a party, just some essentials for the Santos."

"Got it," Sofia nodded her head, turning back to the candy. She leaned over and grabbed the small bag of mixed chocolates. "I feel like we keep running into each other. If I didn't know better, I would say you were stalking me."

"It's a small town," Oscar brushed off her statement. "We are bound to run into one another."

"Well, we have run into each other a lot," Sofia strolled down the aisle towards the refreshments. She pulled opened the door and grabbed a large container of soda. "Or at least the last couple of days."

"You say that as if it's a bad thing," Oscar chuckled. Sofia rolled her lip between her teeth, knowing it was better not to push the subject. She hadn't seen Oscar in years, and if she wanted to at least be friends with him, she couldn't continue to bring up the past. Sofia knew Oscar was over everything that happened between them.

"It's not a bad thing," Sofia found herself saying. "It's just something I have to get used to all over again."

She looked over her shoulder at the taller man and could see he wanted to say something but stopped himself from doing so. "So, what does Ruby need all this stuff for anyway?"

"Halloween, he's having a shut-in," Sofia began but realized Oscar didn't understand what she was saying. "Rather than going out, he has everyone stay inside in their costumes and watch movies. It's safer."

"Sounds like fun," Oscar made his way to the cashier. "And you're a part of this?"

"No," Sofia trailed behind him. "Normally, I go out with Mario, but he's not here, and Ruby asked for my help this morning."

"What's your costume," Oscar put his basket on the counter. Sofia remained quiet knowing that Ruby said she had to buy a new one. At her silence, Oscar looked back at her. "Do you not have one?"

Sofia rubbed her arm, "I'm working on it."

"Wow, chica, you're all over the place." Sofia huffed at the name.

"I said I was working on it." At that, the man came over and began ringing out Oscar's items. "What are you doing tonight?"

Oscar glanced at her, "just some Santos business." He handed the man money for his items. Sofia squinted at him, not understanding what he meant.

"Sounds like you'll be having a fun night," she hummed as the man began ringing out her items. She pulled money out of her wallet. Once the man was done, she handed him the money and took her things. She turned and followed Oscar out of the small store. "I guess I'll see you around." Sofia didn't want to be rude, but she didn't have much time before Ruby and the others would be home.

Her eyes found his red Impala before meeting his gaze, "yes, you will."

~~~~~~~

Sofia stood in the middle of the living room with a bowl of candy as she waited for her brother to enter the house. She had done everything he had asked for and more. It was only a second later when the door opened, and the group walked in, minus Cesar. "Happy Halloween," Sofia smiled holding up the bowl of candy.

"Wow," Monse looked around, "this place looks terrific."

"Yeah," Jamal agreed.

"Thank you," Sofia smiled. She glanced at her brother, "Ruby?"

"You did good," he walked over to her and took candy out of the bowl. "Nice mime costume."

"Speaking of costumes, I am going to put mine on," Olivia informed the group. She walked past them and towards her room to change. Once she was out of the room, the group began to get more comfortable. Monse sat on the couch, Jamal searched through his phone, and Ruby inspected the decorations around the house. Sofia didn't speak as she set the bowl of candy on the table for anyone to enjoy.

"Ah," Jamal suddenly spoke, "she danced on Soul Train. That's what choo choo means."

"Stop the chit-chat," Ruby yelled causing Sofia to jump back. "Let's focus. If this is going to be the best shut-in ever, we need to focus. We have to follow protocol." Sofia sat on the couch next to Monse as Ruby talked.

"We know the drill," Monse cut in.

"This year is different," he declared. "It isn't about surviving. It's about Olivia. There was a spark during our dance-"

"Have you guys ever been to Brentwood," Jamal interpreted Ruby.

"No parents," Ruby kept going. "Sofia graciously set up the lighting, mood lighting."

"What," Sofia didn't realize what she had done.

"And Nightmare on Elm Street will Olivia frightened and a little lappy." Ruby sat in the love seat and slapped his thighs.

"You do realize that is creepy," Monse pointed out the obvious.

Ruby nodded, "One step ahead." He reached behind him and grabbed a blanket covering his lap. "A little protection in case of wood."

"I hate this," Sofia mumbled watching her brother oddly.

"Since we are talking about wood," Jamal spoke. "Brentwood could be fun."

Monse looked around, "where is Cesar going to sit? And why is Sofia here? No offense."

"None taken," Sofia assured her.

"In Oscar's Impala," Ruby sighed. "She's my wing-woman because you both are hopeless."

"Wait, he isn't coming," Monse raised her voice. "It's a tradition."

"Who cares," Ruby snapped. "I have the best one-to-one, P to V ratio."

"P to V ratio," Monse asked.

"Penis to Vagina," Ruby clarified. Sofia gagged at his explanation.

"There is something wrong with you," she spoke to her brother.

"Olivia and me. Jamal and you. Then Sofia," Ruby shrugged.

"Never put my V with Jamal's P, also. Why doesn't Sofia get a P," Monse kept questioning everything Ruby was attempting to do. Suddenly the door swung open, and Cesar stepped in.

"Shut-in," he screamed loudly with a broad smile on his face.

Ruby jumped up from his spot on the love seat, "I thought you were going to be with Oscar?"

"Well," Cesar gave him a dull look. "It's nice to see you too."

"No, it's fine," Ruby was starting to panic. "Take a seat." Cesar nodded walking over to the love seat, but Ruby quickly shoved him away. "Not the love seat, and keep away from my scented candle." Cesar didn't speak as he walked past Sofia and sat on her other side. Ruby sat back down in the love seat taking a deep breath.

"What do you think," Olivia's voice was heard. The group turned to look at her costume. It was simple. She was a cowgirl.

"Oh, that looks good," Ruby grabbed the pillow next to him and placed it on his lap. It took all the self-control Sofia had not to make a disgusted face.

Oliva stepped closer, "when are we going out?"

"Never, trick or treating in Freeridge is a no," Ruby spoke.

"Why," the brunette girl questioned confused.

Ruby sighed and patted the seat beside him, and Olivia sat down. "I'll be quick," Ruby sighed. "In 2012, the Prophets rolled up on us. We had guns to our heads, and they took our bags. In 2013 we got caught up in a drive-by and were kissing the ground all night." Olivia's mouth fell open in shock. "We not only lost candy but our innocence."

"Can we talk," Monse said over Sofia's shoulder.

"I'm good," Cesar responded casually. Sofia stayed completely still, unsure of what to do at that moment. Monse stood up and reached over her to grab Cesar's hand. The young boy got up willingly and followed behind her. Sofia leaned back in her seat as Ruby continued to talk to Olivia about the shut-in.

"Brentwood," a voice whispered in Sofia's ear. The girl shot forward in her seat and turned to look at the person behind her.

"Jamal," she yelled at the boy. "What the hell?"

"Brentwood," he said again.

"We are gonna watch scary movies and eat artisan pizza," Ruby smiled at her. By then, Monse and Cesar walked back in.

"Actually, I think we should go out," Monse decided clapping her hands together. "This could be our last Halloween trick-or-treating. Also," she looked at Cesar. "Feels cramped in here."

"I vote Brentwood," Jamal spoke up. "Not only is it safe, but it is also rich. They will have those full-size candy bars."

Sofia could see the panic on Ruby's face, "but it's a tradition! I already ordered the pizza." Sofia raised an eyebrow at him, "Sofia ordered the pizza!"

"Why can't we go," Olivia questioned Ruby.

"Brentwood," Jamal whispered.

"There have to be places-"

"Brentwood."

"How about Brentwood," Olivia spoke Jamal's idea.

Monse nodded, "good idea."

"No," Ruby was frantic. "It's a great idea, but no. Brentwood isn't close, and we would need to take public transportation."

"Sofia can drive," Olivia pointed at Sofia.

"No car," Sofia sighed, "plus no one lets me drive."

"It's true," Cesar smirked, "she sucks at driving."

"See," Ruby threw his hands up, "no way to get there."

Jamal walked around the couch, "all good." Sofia was confused at his words, "I got us a hookup." Everyone on the sofa grew excited at his words.

"Alright," Sofia decided, "you guys have fun trick-or-treating. I will keep the pizza warm for you."

"No," Ruby screamed taking everyone by surprise. "I mean, no, you worked so hard you should join us."

"Yeah," Olivia beamed, "you have to come."

Sofia blinked, "Ruby, can I speak with you in the kitchen, please?" She didn't bother to wait for his response as she pushed herself off the couch and walked towards the kitchen. Sofia could hear Ruby following behind her. Once she was in the kitchen, she turned back to her brother. "What the hell?"

"I need you," Ruby whispered-shouted at her. "I need my wing-woman to help with Olivia. Please, I don't know what I am doing."

"I'm too old to trick-or-treat," Sofia gestured to herself. "I'm an adult."

"Please," Ruby rolled his eyes. "You could pass for a fifteen-year-old." Sofia didn't hesitate to smack the back of his head, "ouch."

"That was uncalled for."

Ruby rubbed his skull, "will you just help me?"

"Ride's here," Jamal called from the other room.

Sofia looked at her brother and fell victim to his pleading eyes, "fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 53.3K 188
where a turn of events take you on a new road. streets of freeridge. I dont own On my block. But you best believe i own the stupid ideas i write in...
42.5K 1.1K 40
In which two friends that have known eachother since 4th grade never realised they meant so much more to eachother when the time was too late. Jamal...
331K 7K 28
A story about Kindness. **** I tried to follow along the On My Block storyline so if you haven't seen it, here's my spoiler alert. The only characte...
43.3K 861 14
SEASON 2 "you need to help your brother Oscar, he's not safe on the streets. I'll do anything for him to come home." "anything bonita?" xaviera nodde...