Skate On {NHL Fanfic}

By Hockeyismylife227

Rosaline Williams, everyone knows that name. Who wouldn't know the name of the only girl that's this close to... More

Chapter 1: A New Adventure
Chapter 2: Shocking Discovery
Chapter 3: Backup Plan
Chapter 4: Difficult
Chapter 5: Too Much To Take
Chapter 6: Trying To Forget
Chapter 7: Always There
Chapter 8: Torn Apart
Chapter 9: Old Memories
Chapter 10: Old Secret
Chapter 11: Message
Chapter 12: Satisfying Victory part 1
Chapter 13: Satisfying Victory part 2
Chapter 14: Right Time
Chapter 15: John = Sam
Chapter 16: Two Others
Chapter 18: Panic
Chapter 19: Letting it out
Chapter 20: The Day
Chapter 21: Crash
Chapter 22: That Magical Moment
Chapter 23: I'm Not Going Anywhere
Chapter 24: Leaving
Chapter 25: Number One Fan
Chapter 26: Secret Unveiled
Chapter 27: Golden Game
Chapter 28: Last Time
Chapter 29: Coming Back Home
Chapter 30: Morning Memories
Chapter 31: Taking It Slow
Chapter 32: Big Surprise
Chapter 33: Family Introductions
Chapter 34: Epilogue

Chapter 17: Who's Faster?

2.1K 35 0
By Hockeyismylife227

CHAPTER 17: Who's Faster?

“Rose, are you okay?” My coach asked me as I went back towards the bench.

I sat down and looked up at him. We were 20 minutes in a practice and I was already dizzy, not being able to go on. I knew how badly it looked and it was such an irresponsible mistake for me to have done, but at least now I was paying for it by being humiliated in front of my team. As I looked up, a few of my teammates threw me a smile as they went by the board. They all knew why, except the coach.

“I’m really sorry, I just feel a bit dizzy.” I said back to my coach.

He looked down at me, a bit curiously yet something else in his gaze. “Your father…”

“Sir, I’d rather not think about that.” I looked up at him, already understanding what he was hinting at. “I’m really fine.”

“You know if you don’t feel good, you step off the ice.” He said, very seriously.

He really didn’t understand but I still nodded. “I know.”

The last thing I wanted on my mind was my father, or how he died. I looked towards the crowd and noticed a few familiar faces in the crowd. Patrick, John, Seabrook and with someone else. My brother Nick. The Chicago Boys.

Nick waved at me, smiling over at me.

I smiled at him, and got back on the ice, leaning against the board weirdly. The coach turned his attention back to me, and looked down at me. “You feel better?”

I didn’t want to start an argument so I simply nodded and stepped onto the ice, getting a good grip and being able to stand on my two feet without falling over. I tried to focus on the practice but it was a bit difficult, although I still managed. Obviously not playing at my very best. The whole practice, I knew the coach had his eyes on me, certain that he hadn’t found my constant sayings of ‘I’m fine’ very reassuring.

When the practice ended and I was all alone on the ice, I went back on the bench, and caught my breath. I stared out at the crowd, where all the guys were once sitting not too long ago and now were gone. I sighed and took off my helmet, letting my head lay against the board tiredly for what felt like a very long time.

I was drifting to sleep as someone whispered my name into my ear.

“Hey, you!” I heard someone shout again.

I turned around to see Eric Staal, standing with all his equipment on and ready to step on the ice. I smiled over at him, rubbing my eyes like I’d just woken up, which I was. I smiled at him, “Hi.”

“You’re a little party girl, aren’t you?” He asked, grabbing a seat next to me on the bench.

“When I’ve got something to celebrate. Yes, I am.” I said to him. “I’m only gonna live once.”

He chuckled, “Very true. How’s the hangover?”

I smiled over at him. I was never gonna stop hearing about last night, I’m sure. “Hell. But I’m living through it. I’ve got another day to recover.”

“At least there’s that.” He smiled.

John suddenly came up the runway with Seabrook and Keith at his side. When he noticed me, he smiled and I looked away. I was going to hear something from him about how ridiculous I looked during the practice. He came towards me with a smile on his face, Keith and Seabrook stepping onto the ice without him. “I don't have to ask how you're doing. That practice pretty much said it all."

I knew he was trying to make a joke and so I made an effort, smiling over at him sarcastically. "Always there to make me feel better, John. Thanks."

"Anytime." He smiled, but then turned serious. "But seriously, do you feel any better?”

“Yeah I do, that nap I just took kind of helped.” I grinned up at him. It was true, yes.

“Well, that’s great. Get on the ice then. Might as well get in a good practice.” He smiled, but I could tell he was serious.

I smiled at him, “I don’t know. I think I scare people here.”

“Well, I think you should. If you want to get into the NHL these are people you might play with or against.” John did have a point.

“I understand,” I said. “But this isn’t my practice.”

“Well, hello there.” Someone else came up the runway. This one I had never met before, but recognized obviously. Scott Niedermayer was not only captain of the Canadian hockey team but he was one of the top defencemen in the NHL. It was strange to stand in his presence, having heard such great things of him. It was like Sidney Crosby.

He arrived in front of me, waiting for me to say something.

“Hi.” I smiled at him. “I was just leaving.”

“No, stay, please.” He insisted. “The coach won’t be here for a few more minutes, why don’t you play with us?”

I looked from Eric and John, and then back at Scott. “Sure. Why not?”

They all stepped onto the ice before me and I grabbed my helmet, looking over at the next person walking onto the ice. The very own Sidney Crosby, who leaned against the board and looked over at me, surprised obviously of my presence. “What are you still doing here?”

“I don’t know.” I said.

He smiled, “How do you feel? You went pretty hard last night.”

I sighed, very tired of hearing this. “I’m never gonna hear the end of that, am I?”

“Probably not. You were probably the funniest person I saw last night. And I don’t even think you remember talking to me.”

I thought back and he was completely right. Nothing. “Can you just not mention it to Nick? He flew in today and that’s the last thing I want him to hear that I’ve been doing.”

He nodded. “I’ll keep my mouth shut, but you let the others know.”

I sighed and put on my helmet, skating over to Scott, who almost looked like he was waiting for me. I frowned at him, unable to read his expression. “What are you thinking?”

“The one thing I’ve heard about you is your speed.” He said.

I nodded. I had heard that a lot of times before as well. “True.”

“Someone else who’s very good on the speed, people would only assume Sidney Crosby, but I’m not sure he’s the fastest one here.” He stared at me, and I smiled with a little laugh.

Sid came over next to me, and I looked at him, laughing. “You think I’m faster than Sidney Crosby? I have a hard time believing that.”

“Let’s race.” Sidney said, looking down at me. “We’ll see who’s the fastest then.”

I hesitated for only moment before I nodded. “Okay… sure.”

 I went towards the middle of the ice, and was aware that everyone was staring at us now. A few of the other players stayed on the bench and stared at us on the ice. I pushed Sid away from me as he was coming next to me, “You go the opposite way.”

I didn’t want him skating right next to me through a whole lap. I’ve done that a few times with boys and a lot of them liked to trip me, by accident or not, I don’t care. I wasn’t about to let it happen again. Sidney understood and he went on the other side of the ice, waiting at the red center line of the rink.

John got in the middle of the ice, looking from Sid to me. “I’m the one that has to say go, right?”

“Right.” I nodded.

“K, 1. 2. 3… GO!” He shouted, and I almost felt like there was the sound of a gun going off missing, but I still took off with so much speed, I nearly tripped over my feet. I skated around the goalie net within 2 seconds, picking up so much speed, I was so confident that I was ahead of Sidney Crosby, but as I looked sideways, arriving back at the center of the ice, he wasn’t that far off.

I went faster, pushing myself like I have never done before. As I went around the goalie net again, I raced towards the red line. I knew it was gonna be close, Sidney Crosby was of course very fast and I was still surprised I was this close.

As I went over the red line, I exhaled a long sigh and felt my lungs burning with exhaustion. I felt a sudden energy burst inside of me, and I still managed to smile over at John and Scott. I knew of one thing just by the expression on their faces, it wasn’t a tie and everyone was aware of that. John, Scott and even Eric stared at me with wide eyes.

I went over to them, Sidney Crosby coming up behind me. I frowned at him, “Did I win?”

“How did you do that?” Sid asked me, shocked and out of breath. “That was almost impossible.”

I suddenly heard someone cheer in the crowd, and I looked over behind me. Taylor stood up in one of the seats behind the bench not very far away and I smiled at her. I hadn’t noticed her in the crowd, but of course she would be here.

“Oh, Sid, that must’ve hurt!” She laughed and Sid shook his head at her, obviously knowing she was just kidding.

I laughed with her and smiled while she winked at me and walked away. I turned towards him, and smiled, both of us still trying to catch our breath. “I was just skating... I can’t believe I actually beat you.”

“Um… no.” Duncan Keith was suddenly right next to John, with wide eyes. “I think were the ones that can’t believe you actually beat him.”

I looked away, ignoring him.

“That was amazing.” Scott said, still in shock. “Where’s Fleury or Brodeur? We could use a goalie right now.”

“One of them is right there.” John said, gesturing towards the bench.

I was such a fan of Martin Brodeur ever since I was a kid. My father loved to play with him all the times when I was very young, and he’d introduced me to him when I was 8. He knew who I was now, I’d seen him enough times afterwards but it was so amazing to know such a great guy like him.

He stepped onto the ice and smiled over at me, surprised to see me. “Rose!”

I went over to him and gave him a fist bump, with a smile. “Hey, Mart. Comment sa va?”

Toujours le même, pis toi?” He asked how I was, waiting before pulling his helmet over his face. “There’s just no stopping you to the top is there?”

“I’m going all the way.” I smiled at him.

“Your dad would be very proud.” He smiled, pulling down his helmet over his face and skating towards the net.

I smiled for a second by myself. At least now I knew it, my father really was proud. He’d told me in a letter. Although it wasn’t as amazing as having him say it to me in person, I still know he’s with me. My smile soon vanished and I looked over my shoulder, noticing Nick sitting in the crowd. There was something in the way he was looking at me; I knew he wanted to be at my place right now. This was his dream. I almost felt like I was stealing his dream from him, it gave me a terrible feeling inside and I couldn’t stop myself from looking at him. He looked away from me, horribly disappointed, but not in me, in himself.

He got up and left his seat.

John came over to me, resting a hand on my shoulder. “You want to grab a stick?”

“Nah.” I said, looking away from Nick. “I’m suddenly not feeling too good. I’m gonna have to call it a day. Sorry, John.”

“It’s okay. You go rest.” He gave me a little tap on the back and I left through the other locker room.

After removing every piece of equipement I had on, I simply laid down in the empty changing room and wondered why I felt so horrible and guilty? I shouldn’t blame myself for this. I’m not the one that killed Nick’s Olympic dream. It was for his own good to leave and find his right way to get better, besides he had gotten himself kicked out of the roster. He needed a break just as much as me, the only difference was, I’ve never gotten one.

I’ll sleep when I die.

Hey there, thanks for reading:) I love you guys always for continuing to read this and continuously voting and commenting. Thank you, and for those that don't and enjoy my story, please take 2 seconds of your time to vote or leave me a comment. Love ya:) xoxoxoxox

VOTE

COMMENT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.1K 880 34
Molly King has been selected as Canada's Women's Olympic Team's goalkeeper. She is like a brick wall in two ways: 1) She never willingly lets a puck...
39.7K 582 19
You've all heard the name. Jonathan Toews. Yes, Olympic Gold Medalist, 2010 Stanley Cup Champion, Blackhawks Captain. You think he's...
27.9K 519 61
Jonathan fell in love with a girl who could never be his. And despite knowing that he still charged his life with her and she shared hers with him. A...
39.8K 894 60
Jeremy Roenick is a staple to the Chicago Blackhawks organization. Although his skill is known around the world, his off ice issues are too. Little d...