Dark Fall

By wdhenning

The world changed forever after the Awakening. It activated long dormant genetic code, giving people degrees... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters
Chapter 2 - Atonement
Chapter 3 - In Memoriam
Chapter 4 - Informant
Chapter 5 - First Encounter
Chapter 6 - Enigma
Chapter 7 - Early Morning
Chapter 8 - Roadside Help
Chapter 9 - New Life
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - School
Chapter 12 - Dinner and Interrogation
Chapter 13 - Triage
Chapter 14 - Picnic
Chapter 15 - Investigation
Chapter 16 - Psi-Surgery
Chapter 17 - Pickup Lines
Chapter 18 - Religion
Chapter 19 - Battle
Chapter 20 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 21 - Distant Threat
Chapter 22 - Grief
Chapter 23 - Necros
Chapter 24 - Injured
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Revelation
Chapter 27 - Sanctuary
Chapter 28 - Association
Chapter 29 - Passion
Chapter 30 - Connections
Chapter 31 - Love and Decision
Chapter 32 - Training
Chapter 33 - Awkward Situation
Chapter 34 - Road Trip
Chapter 35 - First Test
Chapter 36 - Former Home
Chapter 37 - Resignation
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Karma
Chapter 40 - Pancakes and Popsicles
Chapter 42 - The Library
Chapter 43 - Matrimony and War
Chapter 44 - The Null
Chapter 45 - Mercenary
Chapter 46 - Ambush
Chapter 47 - New Allies
Chapter 48 - Rescue Operation
Chapter 49 - Trauma
Chapter 50 - Daughters
Chapter 51 - Anna
Chapter 52 - Adjustments
Chapter 53 - Family Vacation
Chapter 54 - The Finders
Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation
Chapter 56 - Training
Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast
Chapter 58 - Storm
Epilogue - Perfect Day
Authors Final Note
Cover Art

Chapter 41 - New Life

1.2K 24 76
By wdhenning

Snoozing under a crumpled blanket, Terra woke up to the sizzle and distinctive meaty aroma of bacon. Normally, she savored those sensory inputs, but this morning her stomach churned. She staggered into the kitchen to find Will cooking eggs in the bacon grease. Freshly cooked bacon, hot and crispy, laid stacked on a pottery plate.

Will greeted her with a smile as he turned an egg in the cast-iron skillet, over-medium, the way she liked them. "Good morning, lover." His eyes widened as Terra put on a strained pale expression and grasped her gut. "You don't look so good. You okay?"

Terra's cheeks bowed as a wave of nausea hit her. "My stomach hurts. Must have eaten too much last night."

"Maybe it was that seductive popsicle?" Terra merely groaned and Will's expression turned to concern. "You really are feeling bad. Do you want anything to eat?"

"Just some toast." She gulped. "And please stop cooking bacon."

By late morning, the nausea abated and her hunger returned. She assured Will that she would be fine, so he left to tend to some town water treatment issues.

The nausea came back next morning, though not as bad. Again, she brushed off Will's concern, reasoning the discomfort was because of a mild stomach virus or minor food poisoning.

"My stomach must still be sensitive from whatever hit it yesterday," she said.

After Will left for work, Terra took a walk, thinking fresh air would make her feel better. Passing the school, she sat on a bench and watched the children play. Their joyous shouts and activity caused an unusual swell in her emotions. Tears swelled, leaking down her cheeks.

What is wrong with me? I shouldn't be crying. And this morning nausea...

Terra's breath halted and her eyes grew wide as a likely explanation came to her.

Oh, no. No, no, no!

She grasped her belly, and after a deep breath, went into the aura. Her mind's eye passed down through her abdomen and searched within her womb, tentatively at first, afraid she might find what she suspected.

There it is. So tiny.

More tears traced her cheeks.

How can I bring new life into this world now? It complicates everything.

Old fears came back.

My father left my mother when she became pregnant with me. Men do that all the time. Would Will leave me?

I could easily detach it from the womb wall. No one would know. Spontaneous abortions happen all the time at this early stage.

Terra gently stroked her belly and cast her eyes down. Within the aura, she peered closer at the tiny life within her, encircling it with her mind, mentally caressing it. Shrinking to the micro limits of her aura resolution, Terra examined the chromosomes within the fetus' cells.

A daughter! My daughter. Will's daughter.

Terra pulled out of the aura, breathing deeply. There, alone on the bench while the school children played before her, swirling thoughts of the potential life changes invoked a shudder. Terra closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm herself.

A stillness enveloped her, calming a racing heart. And with it, a resolve. Do not regret love.

That evening, Will entered their cottage to find Terra's eyes moist with tears. She leaped up to embrace him, burrowing her face in the crook of his neck. He pulled back with his hands on her shoulders, while concern painted his face. "Terra, what's wrong?"

I have to tell him.

"Will I know why I've felt so nauseous lately." She paused as emotion overtook her, coming out as a single sob, and the tears flow again. "Within me... I'm pregnant... Our daughter. I don't know what to do."

Will stood in shocked silence for a moment, his face like stone. "Oh, wow." He paused again. "You said you had protection against this."

Terra put her forehead against his chest. "I did... I thought I did. I used my psi-surgery to pinch shut my fallopian tubes. I don't know what happened. It should have worked."

Will sighed. "I think I know. When we are close together, I interfere with your aura. And we are very close when we make love. And the Darkness training. My presence undid your protection." He cupped her face in his hands and peered deeply into Terra's eyes. "What should we do?"

Terra collapsed against him, whispering, "Thank you for saying we."

"Terra! It will always be we."

"It's just... My father left my mother when she was pregnant. I'm not sure..."

"Put it out of your mind!" Will huffed. "I say we have our daughter. What do you say?"

"It's such an inconvenient time, though," she replied weakly.

A chortle escaped Will's lips. "Is it ever convenient?"

"No." Terra squeezed his waist, pressing herself tighter against him. An unexpected joy pulsed from her heart, spreading through her whole being. "Then, I say yes."

Will pressed his lips to hers, then pulled away, gasping. "Oh, no."

Terra widened her eyes. "What is it?"

"We'll have to tell Ginny. It will be the Stare for sure."

Terra laughed and nuzzled again to his chest. "We may as well get it over with."

The next afternoon, Will and Terra plodded into Ginny's office holding hands. First clearing his throat, Will opened his mouth but found himself unable to speak previously rehearsed words.

Ginny rolled her eyes, mumbling, "What is it, Will? Did you knock her up or something?"

Will and Terra both widened their eyes and dropped their chins. Ginny's eyebrows slowly rose as her eyes moved from Will to Terra. "You did? I mean, you're pregnant?"

Gulping, Terra could only nod.

Ginny rushed around her desk and grabbed them both into a tight, almost suffocating hug. "Oh, this is so exciting! I can be the grandma, can't I? How far along are you?"

"Only six to eight weeks," Terra answered in a meek voice. "She is still so tiny."

"A granddaughter! I can't wait!" Ginny said with uncommon glee. Then she pushed a finger into Will's chest. "You make sure you take good care of her."

"Um, yes. Of course," he stammered.

Will walked out of the office, holding Terra's hand while Ginny hummed a cheerful tune to herself. He turned toward Terra and stared at her, forehead creased and mouth open. "What just happened here?"

Early evening, Will opened his door to find Liz with a smirk on her face. "I hear you have some news."

Will dipped his eyes and cupped his forehead. "Ginny told you?"

"She could barely contain herself. I've never seen her so excited about anything before. I have my orders to make sure the mother of her granddaughter is well taken care of."

Will sighed. "Well, you might as well come in to see for yourself."

As Liz passed through to the living room, Terra rose to give her a hug.

"So how are you feeling?" Liz asked.

Terra turned to Will and lifted her eyebrows. He shrugged. "Ginny told her."

Terra smiled as she shook her head. "My hormones are going nuts. Been having some morning sickness, but not too bad. And I am getting emotional. Will may need more care than me."

"Come in tomorrow and we'll do the standard diagnostics and set you up with a nutrition program." Liz gave Terra another hug. "I'm so happy for you both! Now, I've got to get home to my own kiddos."

*****

Far away in Eureka, the Blue Uprising Governance Council reconvened, at least with those not still traumatized by the Darkness. President Senn stood with his hands on the table's edge, his gold ceremonial mask cast aside, thus revealing the scorn on his face. "We cannot let this outrage go unanswered."

The governor to his left spoke. "They could have easily killed us all, but did not. If we go after them and fail, the next encounter may have a different outcome. Since they do not support our enemy, it is best to just leave them alone."

Another said, "And there is the noninterference agreement with the Library in Freehold. Breaking it would have repercussions."

Baring his yellowed teeth, Senn banged the table with his fist, shouting, "They are a threat to my destiny, and must be dealt with!"

The governor to his right raised his hand. "If I may, sir, there may be another way that carries little risk. The Dynasty still hunts our former agent and they would not abide this Hooded Man any more than we would. Perhaps if they were to discover their whereabouts?"

A crooked smile came to the president's face. "Yes, yes. That could work. The Emperor would be eager to eliminate the ones who killed his chief enforcer. And we would benefit whether or not they succeed. Prepare a message."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269 0 26
Attractive strangers Lucas and Cara were living normal, uncomplicated lives until sought by a group of bounty hunters. The price on their heads is hi...
Cridex By A

Adventure

5.1K 1K 42
Advancements in cybernetics have left the lines between man and technology a blur. Enhanced machines were expected to serve the people, until those m...
22K 8K 135
It's 2141. Clones have taken over as the dominant species. Using brain nanochips to surveil thoughts and actions, they have pushed traditional humans...
80.6K 6.7K 92
Terra, allied with the State, discovers her parents were executed as Rebels. Hunting whoever betrayed them, she goes to war with the State - and the...