Dark Fall

De wdhenning

The world changed forever after the Awakening. It activated long dormant genetic code, giving people degrees... Mais

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters
Chapter 2 - Atonement
Chapter 3 - In Memoriam
Chapter 4 - Informant
Chapter 5 - First Encounter
Chapter 6 - Enigma
Chapter 7 - Early Morning
Chapter 8 - Roadside Help
Chapter 9 - New Life
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - School
Chapter 12 - Dinner and Interrogation
Chapter 13 - Triage
Chapter 14 - Picnic
Chapter 15 - Investigation
Chapter 16 - Psi-Surgery
Chapter 17 - Pickup Lines
Chapter 18 - Religion
Chapter 19 - Battle
Chapter 20 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 21 - Distant Threat
Chapter 22 - Grief
Chapter 23 - Necros
Chapter 24 - Injured
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Revelation
Chapter 27 - Sanctuary
Chapter 28 - Association
Chapter 29 - Passion
Chapter 30 - Connections
Chapter 31 - Love and Decision
Chapter 32 - Training
Chapter 33 - Awkward Situation
Chapter 35 - First Test
Chapter 36 - Former Home
Chapter 37 - Resignation
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Karma
Chapter 40 - Pancakes and Popsicles
Chapter 41 - New Life
Chapter 42 - The Library
Chapter 43 - Matrimony and War
Chapter 44 - The Null
Chapter 45 - Mercenary
Chapter 46 - Ambush
Chapter 47 - New Allies
Chapter 48 - Rescue Operation
Chapter 49 - Trauma
Chapter 50 - Daughters
Chapter 51 - Anna
Chapter 52 - Adjustments
Chapter 53 - Family Vacation
Chapter 54 - The Finders
Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation
Chapter 56 - Training
Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast
Chapter 58 - Storm
Epilogue - Perfect Day
Authors Final Note
Cover Art

Chapter 34 - Road Trip

268 25 62
De wdhenning

Early the next morning, Will and Terra set off for their Blue Uprising Council engagement, planning a less-traveled route to avoid security checkpoints. Will drove while Terra lay across the seat with her head in his lap, trying to snooze.

He poked her in the arm. "Look behind us, Terra. See? It's a sunrise."

She stirred, but did not open her eyes, grumbling, "I can see the sun later. It will be with us all day."

Once risen mid-morning, Terra noted the extreme poverty along the way. While prevalent everywhere, here it seemed much worse. Families lived in makeshift structures, tents, or abandoned vehicles. Listless people sat or milled aimlessly, wearing tattered clothes and sometimes no shoes. Blank expressions on so many faces and the sad hopeless stares tore at her heart.

Will stopped to help a family of four in a stalled truck along the road. Their truck's power cells were completely depleted, and they had no money to pay for a recharge. Will swapped out one of his charged cells for one of their empty ones, enough at least to get them back home. While sharing lunch, the family described the dire situation in the area — high taxes, high prices for basic commodities, and lack of jobs. Recent military conflicts ruined the infrastructure and chased away employment. The father's face took on an angry distortion as he told of those deemed upper class and how they lived in luxury. But he spoke almost in a whisper, as if afraid that the authorities might hear them. As they parted, Will gave the father some money. Reluctant at first, the father pushed aside his pride and accepted it for his family.

Will and Terra drove on, each troubled by the experience, but unsure what to say.

Terra broke the silence. "I am glad we helped them, but it is only temporary. And there are so many more."

"And the feeling of helplessness..." Will shook his head. "But there is very little we can do now except continue on. Maybe when we get back to Freehold, we can see if the Library would help these people."

Sadness, laced with anger, twisted at Terra's gut, and fingernails indented her palms. Remembering Joseph's suggestion, Terra closed her eyes and meditated, trying to clear her mind of the persistent swirling thoughts. Her heart remained troubled, but she found some calm with acceptance of her limitations.

I will do what I can. No more is expected of me.

*****

Once over the mountain passes, the landscape became drier, transitioning from spruce forests to the high desert, marked by sparse brush, rocky hills, and parched washes.

On the morning of the second day, they approached the unofficial border between Dynasty and Blue Uprising controlled land. Terra took the wheel, detouring through a seldom-used dusty side-road she knew that avoided roadblocks, and the questions that would be asked there. Later, they came to an Uprising checkpoint, but with fake IDs she had and Will's ability to mask her aura, they passed by the disinterested guards easily.

As the sun disappeared over the horizon, they stopped at an inn at a larger city outskirts. Further down a road, rows of seedy rundown bars, gambling houses, and strip clubs stood, each embellished with flashing lights and suggestive signs. Nearby unmarked buildings with blackened windows suggested sordid things happened within. Many people meandered about, some staggering. Burly bouncers stood watch in front of the gaudy entrances.

Terra shook her head. "A sleazy area, but I have seen worse."

"You have?" Will asked.

"One time, a mission took Anna and me to a place like that." She pointed to a strip club. "We went undercover as dancers, or perhaps I should say uncovered?"

Will's eyes opened wide. "Ell never told me about this. Wow! I am trying to wrap my mind around you two doing a sexy dance routine."

Terra winked with a grin. "I am sure you would have liked it. If you are good, maybe I'll give you a sample."

Her grin vanished as she continued. "But it stopped being sexy when we saw the exploitation behind the scenes. They preyed on desperate women, even young girls. And the things they made them do..." She shook her head with a deep breath. "Anna and I came back later and took it down — and I mean that literally. We destroyed the building and several of those who ran it." Terra's lip quivered as she wrapped her arms around herself. "The place needed to end, but I became a monster when we did it. It still scares me. Anna even had to restrain me at one point. But the worst part? I am not sure we really helped the women. Most of them had nowhere else to go."

Will embraced Terra, letting her lean against him. "I think I understand. You can rescue someone from abuse, but if they have nothing better, they fall back into it again." He stepped back, holding her at arm's length and meeting her eyes. "It is not enough to just rescue. There also needs to be a path to recovery. That is what I like most about the Library — they try to provide those paths."

"Will," Terra said tentatively, "did you go to places like this?"

Letting out a breath, he answered, "I have to admit that I did when younger. The erotic was appealing, but when I recognized the dark side and what it did to me, it lost the attraction." He lifted his hands. "Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the women who freely choose that kind of work. But there's so much exploitation with it." He shook off the train of thought and turned toward the Inn. "Let's get a room and something to eat."

So, we continue on our path.

The Inn was an adobe-style block building that had seen better days, but seemed adequate for a meal and night's rest. As they walked under the long entrance canopy, a young woman caught Terra's eye, maybe still a girl. Huddled in shadows, she leaned back against the Inn wall. Hands covered her face, framed by tangled blonde hair. Her short black dress was torn along the hem and scuffed stiletto-heeled shoes laid on the ground beside her. Shuddering, she appeared somewhat gaunt, as though she had not eaten well. With a glance toward Will, Terra went up to her and kneeled down. "Are you alright?"

She parted her hands away from her face and gazed at Terra. Moist eyes and smeared mascara conveyed distress, even as she tried to wipe it away. "I'm okay. Just tired."

Terra turned her eyes up to Will, silently asking permission. He nodded in reply.

This one we may rescue.

"What is your name?" Terra asked.

"Layla."

"Hi. My name is Terra, and this is my friend Will. Would you like to join us here for dinner? It looks like you might be hungry."

Layla's eyes darted between the two before her. After a moment, she responded with a faint voice. "Okay."

The three walked into the restaurant room and sat down at a table. The gray-haired waitress with too much makeup narrowed her eyes at Layla as she handed out menus, but said nothing. After reviewing the selections and assuring Layla that she could have anything she wanted, they placed their orders. The waitress returned with drinks and a loaf of bread with butter. Layla eyed the bread and bit her lower lip.

This girl is hungry.

Sliding the bread tray closer to her, Will said, "Go ahead, Layla. Have some."

Layla tore into the loaf, but then glanced back and forth at her dinner companions. She slowed down, delicately breaking off a piece, apparently unsure of this offering and not wanting to appear desperate.

She is suspicious and may have been misled in the past.

Terra said, "Layla, tell us a little about yourself."

The young woman swallowed her bite and spoke. "Well, I lived on a farm a ways south of here with my parents and little brother. 'Bout a year ago I came here lookin' for work. Been some hard times, but I will make it. Thanks for buying me dinner. I was kinda hungry."

"Our pleasure. You seem like an interesting person."

Flashing suspicious eyes back and forth, Layla diverted the conversation from herself. "How 'bout you two? What brings you this way?"

Will responded. "We are just passing through. Going west to visit some friends."

The waitress interrupted the conversation as she placed their food before them. Layla dug into a bowl of stew with restrained haste.

Terra put down her fork. "Layla, I have the feeling that the times are harder than you let on. We would like to help you somehow."

Will replied to Layla's stilled blank expression. "Don't worry, we are not here to take advantage of you. We are truly called to help others."

"Why would you want to help me? I'm not much."

Terra shook her head. "Not so. You are Layla, our new friend. And you are a woman of worth."

Layla's eyes moistened as she contemplated the words. At that moment, a man burst into the restaurant, sneering as he scanned the room. A shiny silver shirt, unbuttoned halfway down his hairy chest, stretched over a bulging gut. He pushed back long, greasy, thinning hair as he scanned the restaurant. Layla shrunk down into her seat.

Will tipped his head towards the man as he turned to the young woman. "I take it this is the source of some of your troubles?"

The man growled, locking eyes with Layla and advancing toward her. He spat out his words. "Layla, you bitch! You can't just walk out like that. Now get back or I'll drag your arse!"

Layla cowered as Will stood up, eyes narrowed, placing himself between her and the man. "She is not going anywhere," Will said in an even tone.

The man bared yellowed teeth. "None of ye'r damn business! Stay out of this if you know what's good for ye'."

Will shifted his eyes momentarily toward Terra, who nodded slightly, then spoke. "Layla is with us. Now you back off!"

The man widened his eyes, seemingly surprised at the resistance, but then his face twisted in rage. He pulled a knife from a pocket, flicking out the blade in a smooth motion, and took a step toward Will. Layla froze, her face pale and eyes wide.

Terra had already slipped into the aura. Focusing on a micro-level, she pinched the blood flow to his brain while telekinetically halting his advance. With a gasp, the man wavered and collapsed in a heap at Will's feet, unconscious.

Will threw some money on the table and bent down to take the man's knife. "I think it may be time to leave."

They stepped outside with the still shocked Layla in tow. Waiting for them across the road stood four men and a woman, staring at them with obvious ill intent. The woman and one man in front were dressed in stylish bright colors, while the other three wore matching black outfits with guns holstered at their hips. Terra put a finger to her temple and shifted into the aura.

She whispered to Will. "The two in front are strong Talent, probably T4 or maybe T3."

The man in front glared at them. "Unwise of you to interfere in our business."

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

165K 6K 70
Seventeen years on this earth and Kate Ballard has learned one thing. Those with all of the power make all of the rules. 100 years into the future a...
3.4K 619 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
80.6K 6.7K 92
Terra, allied with the State, discovers her parents were executed as Rebels. Hunting whoever betrayed them, she goes to war with the State - and the...
The Last She De H.J. Nelson

Ficção Científica

48.8K 1.6K 38
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION "Ara . . . I made a mistake, we all did . . . go back to the beginning . . . it's not too late." As the only female to survive...