Dark Fall

By wdhenning

The world changed forever after the Awakening. It activated long dormant genetic code, giving people degrees... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters
Chapter 2 - Atonement
Chapter 3 - In Memoriam
Chapter 4 - Informant
Chapter 5 - First Encounter
Chapter 6 - Enigma
Chapter 7 - Early Morning
Chapter 8 - Roadside Help
Chapter 9 - New Life
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - School
Chapter 13 - Triage
Chapter 14 - Picnic
Chapter 15 - Investigation
Chapter 16 - Psi-Surgery
Chapter 17 - Pickup Lines
Chapter 18 - Religion
Chapter 19 - Battle
Chapter 20 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 21 - Distant Threat
Chapter 22 - Grief
Chapter 23 - Necros
Chapter 24 - Injured
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Revelation
Chapter 27 - Sanctuary
Chapter 28 - Association
Chapter 29 - Passion
Chapter 30 - Connections
Chapter 31 - Love and Decision
Chapter 32 - Training
Chapter 33 - Awkward Situation
Chapter 34 - Road Trip
Chapter 35 - First Test
Chapter 36 - Former Home
Chapter 37 - Resignation
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Karma
Chapter 40 - Pancakes and Popsicles
Chapter 41 - New Life
Chapter 42 - The Library
Chapter 43 - Matrimony and War
Chapter 44 - The Null
Chapter 45 - Mercenary
Chapter 46 - Ambush
Chapter 47 - New Allies
Chapter 48 - Rescue Operation
Chapter 49 - Trauma
Chapter 50 - Daughters
Chapter 51 - Anna
Chapter 52 - Adjustments
Chapter 53 - Family Vacation
Chapter 54 - The Finders
Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation
Chapter 56 - Training
Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast
Chapter 58 - Storm
Epilogue - Perfect Day
Authors Final Note
Cover Art

Chapter 12 - Dinner and Interrogation

394 40 97
By wdhenning

On such a sunny and pleasant afternoon, Will and Terra took an indirect route to their apartments, wandering through the parks and small neighborhoods of Freehold. The houses and tenements were constructed of an eclectic mix of materials — brick, cut stone, logs, manufactured siding, or sheet metal. Most included small garden plots and beds of brightly colored flowers. While generally well cared for, many were patched using available materials, and several stood in near ruin.

Despite the varying degrees of poverty, the people along the way greeted them with genuine warmth, most knowing Will. A palatable sense of community thrived here among the people, making Freehold an easy town to call home.

On arriving at their apartments, they agreed to meet later for dinner. Terra opened her door and let her eyes scan across the interior. The floor plan was identical to Will's apartment next door, although a mirror image and similarly furnished. She pulled the curtains back to let in more light and slid two windows open to let in the breeze. A knock on the half-opened door alerted her to Will, who stood holding her bag and toiletry kit she had left in his room. He asked, "Everything good?"

"This should work fine," Terra replied.

With a nod and a smile, Will went to his apartment. Terra remained standing in the doorway, leaning against the doorframe for a moment in thought.

Will and the whole town are so welcoming to me. This is so unlike any mission before. Oh, the mission! I need to check-in.

Plopping down on the couch and pulling out her viewer, Terra touched the screen it a few and waited a moment for the encryption to activate.

"Hex?"

"Terra. How are things going there?"

"Strange, but good," she replied. "I rode up with Will to Freehold. On the way, I delivered a baby and I am going to help a little orphan boy I met at the school."

"Who is this, and what have you done with Agent Lorr?"

Terra groaned. "Funny, Hex. Oh, please don't tell Walt about that."

"Okay. Learn anything more about this Will Sall?"

"More strangeness. I sat next to him in his truck and we went right through a Dynasty checkpoint with a high-level Enforcer and a Finder sitting not more than two meters away. They always scrutinize anyone with a significant aura presence, but it was as if they did not even see mine. Will can suppress his aura and any near him. Otherwise, he has been the perfect gentleman, although evasive sometimes. Oh, I learned he is no fan of the Dynasty."

"Hmm," Hex said. "I've never heard of that ability. There is not much about him in any database. He was tested three times for Talent in his youth, and each time he rated T9, the lowest ability on the scale. There were some more details on one test. If you recall, they have you telekinetically push against a load cell and record the force you exert. Since the Awakening, everyone can apply a force, although for most it is small. But the tester recorded zero force for Will, even noting that he could not detect an aura, just like you said. That should not be possible. As if the Awakening never took hold of him."

Hex continued after a pause. "Oh, Terra, you will be pleased to know you caused quite a stir here with your previous report about a possible security issue. So far, there is no evidence of a leak. Walt wanted me to ask you why you always tickle the dragon?"

Terra shrugged. "It's a gift."

"Ah, classic Agent Lorr! Anything else?"

"That is all I have now."

"Okay. Be safe and try to be a good girl."

"Thanks, Hex."

And so the mystery deepens. What is his secret?

At the appointed time, Will knocked on Terra's door and they walked together over the community dining hall. The large room, an extension of the community center, featured several long rows of wooden benches and tables in various conditions of wear. A serving line manned by several people wearing white aprons stretched across one side, dividing the seating area from a large kitchen.

Will explained as they took their place in line, "They serve lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday, and only dinner on Sunday. Nothing fancy, usually just the staples. It is free and open to anyone, but if you have money, you are expected to pay something. Most contribute, but for a lot of poor people around here, this is the only food they get. The clinic works essentially like that, too."

"That has to be expensive, and I doubt the contributions pay for it. Where does the money come from?" Terra asked.

"Well, the community supports it from local taxes."

Terra lowered her eyebrows. "The tax base around here is not that big. So, who is the benefactor?" When Will hesitated, Terra probed further. "You know who it is, don't you."

Will grinned. "You are perceptive, Terra Lorr. But I promised to keep that confidential, so I decline to answer the question per our agreement."

As Will handed Terra a plastic tray, she shivered. A sudden eerie feeling came over her — something big and far away in the aura that she could not define, like thunder in distant hills, something ominous. A quiet gasp escaped her lips.

"You alright?" Will asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Just an odd feeling." She shook it off and accepted the tray.

The dining hall bustled with activity and noise from all manner of people. The look of poverty was evident in some, whether tattered clothing, worn shoes, or unwashed appearance, yet the overall mood was happy.

When she reached the contribution basket at the front of the line, Terra insisted on paying and threw in some money. The meal comprised generous portions of beans with ham, mixed vegetables, cornbread with butter, and fruit cobbler.

Terra spied Benjamin at a table with a few other children, perhaps others from the orphanage. She motioned to Will and sat down next to the boy. "Do you mind if we join you and your friends?" Benjamin nodded enthusiastically.

One of the other children grinned at Will. "Mr. Sall, did you find the elephant?"

He put a hand to his chin and furled his forehead to an exaggerated extent. "No, and I looked everywhere. It is not easy, you know, for an elephant to hide. When you get back to your room, be sure to check under your bed." Giggles broke out around the table and Will smiled.

Will, Terra, and the children ate their dinner while laughing at silly jokes and bad puns. After the caretakers took the children back to the orphanage, Terra grinned at Will. "That was the most fun I have had on a dinner date in a long time."

"Yes, and without the commitment of pancakes."

Alone with Will at the table, Terra said, "Let's continue the interrogation, since we were interrupted with the whole broken down truck and baby delivery thing. What do you think of the Blue Uprising?"

The smile faded from Will's face. "There is an old saying that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The Republic that formed after the Awakening evolved, or rather devolved, into aristocracies and the first of the Dynasties. There have been six or seven of them, depending on the definition. From what we can tell, each followed a similar pattern. They overthrew the one before them, most often violently, promising to end corruption and oppression, but also wanting power for themselves. Over time, they become corrupt and oppressive themselves, and the cycle repeated, over and over."

Terra picked up on his words. He said we. And before that, he would not reveal the community benefactor. There is another organization influencing events, and he is part of it.

Will took a drink of water and continued. "I have no love for the Sage Dynasty and would cheer its fall. They took my wife from me. But the Blue Uprising would not be any better. Just another cycle of history."

Terra shook her head. "It's not like that. We have our problems, true, but we really do strive for a better world."

Will clenched his jaw as he raised his voice. "Do you really believe that? I've seen the suffering and collateral damage from their actions, one of which killed my parents. Can't you see them for what they really are? They are as brutal as the Dynasty. Terra, your masters are not as noble as you are!"

Will stood up and tramped out fuming, leaving Terra with a queasy twisting of her gut. His outburst took her by surprise — so unlike him. She remained seated in swirling thought, knowing the discussion stirred a deep and sensitive anger within him.

But what if what he said is true?

Just then, Ginny opened the door to the dining hall and scanned the interior until she spotted Terra. Her face tensed and lips tightened as she sat down.

Something is wrong. Terra said, "Ginny, what is it?"

Ginny leaned in. "Fighting between the Dynasty and the Uprising has broken out to the northeast. Initial reports say a small village was decimated and there are many casualties coming our way. I know you have medical training, and we could use all the help we can get. Would you help us?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269 0 26
Attractive strangers Lucas and Cara were living normal, uncomplicated lives until sought by a group of bounty hunters. The price on their heads is hi...
36.7K 1.9K 61
[Editors' Choice 2020] In a near-future, post-apocalyptic world, a lone girl must choose between becoming the next-in-line to head a corrupt governme...
80.6K 6.7K 92
Terra, allied with the State, discovers her parents were executed as Rebels. Hunting whoever betrayed them, she goes to war with the State - and the...
986 199 43
With the highly-skilled Agent 23 captured by rival spies, a covertly-engineered clone replaces her on a mission to unmask a mole among international...