Dark Fall

By wdhenning

The world changed forever after the Awakening. It activated long dormant genetic code, giving people degrees... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters
Chapter 2 - Atonement
Chapter 3 - In Memoriam
Chapter 4 - Informant
Chapter 5 - First Encounter
Chapter 7 - Early Morning
Chapter 8 - Roadside Help
Chapter 9 - New Life
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - School
Chapter 12 - Dinner and Interrogation
Chapter 13 - Triage
Chapter 14 - Picnic
Chapter 15 - Investigation
Chapter 16 - Psi-Surgery
Chapter 17 - Pickup Lines
Chapter 18 - Religion
Chapter 19 - Battle
Chapter 20 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 21 - Distant Threat
Chapter 22 - Grief
Chapter 23 - Necros
Chapter 24 - Injured
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Revelation
Chapter 27 - Sanctuary
Chapter 28 - Association
Chapter 29 - Passion
Chapter 30 - Connections
Chapter 31 - Love and Decision
Chapter 32 - Training
Chapter 33 - Awkward Situation
Chapter 34 - Road Trip
Chapter 35 - First Test
Chapter 36 - Former Home
Chapter 37 - Resignation
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Karma
Chapter 40 - Pancakes and Popsicles
Chapter 41 - New Life
Chapter 42 - The Library
Chapter 43 - Matrimony and War
Chapter 44 - The Null
Chapter 45 - Mercenary
Chapter 46 - Ambush
Chapter 47 - New Allies
Chapter 48 - Rescue Operation
Chapter 49 - Trauma
Chapter 50 - Daughters
Chapter 51 - Anna
Chapter 52 - Adjustments
Chapter 53 - Family Vacation
Chapter 54 - The Finders
Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation
Chapter 56 - Training
Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast
Chapter 58 - Storm
Epilogue - Perfect Day
Authors Final Note
Cover Art

Chapter 6 - Enigma

730 37 84
By wdhenning

A chill crawled down Terra's spine. How did he know my name?

Will motioned for her to join him at the table and folded up the diagram that covered it. He asked, "Are you thirsty? Could I get you something to drink? The cider is very good here."

Still stunned, Terra could only nod. Will caught the bartender's attention with a head tilt, held up two fingers, and pointed down. The bartender returned a slight nod, then filled two dull-gray metal tankards from a barrel tap. In wordless efficiency, the drinks appeared before them. A pleasant, fruity aroma filled Terra's nose as she lifted a mug and took a sip. The crisp tartness, slightly sweet and aromatic, tickled her tongue and carried an alcohol kick.

The drink helped her find her voice again. "Mmm, this is good."

Will took a swig from his tankard and seemed equally pleased. He placed it on the table and gazed at Terra. "So, to what honor do I owe the attention of the Blue Uprising's best agent?"

Terra froze, again rendered wordless. Heart accelerating, her eyes flitted across the room, expecting a trap.

And how does he know that?

Will held up both hands, palms toward her, as if he heard her thought. "Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me."

Terra recomposed herself and took a direct tact. She took a drink of cider and licked her lips. "I'm here to evaluate and bring you in." Leaning forward, she batted her eyelashes. "Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to get rough?"

Will's lips parted, but then settled into a sly grin. "I would not want to risk that. Shall we discuss the terms of my surrender over dinner?"

"Okay."

He took a deep drink, then clunked an empty tankard down on the table. "I need to take my things up to my room and should change into something more appropriate. Let's meet down here in, say, twenty minutes?"

She nodded. "I look forward to it."

Gathering the drawing, Will stepped outside, then reentered carrying a duffle bag, casting Terra a warm smile and a wink. Her eyes tracked him across the tavern to the stairs. Once he disappeared from view, she blew out a held breath.

What just happened here? Did I accept a date with a man who may out me as an agent?

Terra glanced around the tavern, now empty of all but her and the disinterested bartender. She peeked again in the aura, finding the dim glows of the bartender and a woman in the kitchen, behind the bar. A few people passed by outside, but also not strong Talent, rather ordinary people. There were no signs of danger.

Lifting her tankard, she paused, peering at the fragrant amber liquid. Her chest tightened as a thought came to her. Could the cider be drugged?

Terra focused her aura sight within her body, using skills from her psi-surgery training. A survey of her biological systems revealed no apparent influence of a toxin or drug. The only thing out of normal was an elevated heart rate and blood pressure, although expected given the circumstances. From her medical background, she knew the usual drugs and poisons. If Will meant to drug her with a typical narcotic or sedative, the effects would have begun by now. 

Will's admitted knowledge of Terra's name and agent status should have put her further on edge, even running for the door, yet her gut-intuition remained still, registering no danger. There was only curiosity and, she had to admit, a degree of physical attraction. He seemed sincere, pleasantly friendly even.

Just who is Will?

Wandering outside, Terra put her viewer to her ear.

"Hex?"

"Terra, is something wrong?" he answered.

"No. Yes. Maybe. It's just weird. Will Sall knew my name and that I am an agent, and was not at all hesitant to tell me. We may have a security breach."

"Are you sure you are not in danger?" Hex replied in an urgent voice.

"No sign of that. I am going to join him for dinner. He seemed happy to meet me."

"Definitely weird. I just started getting information on him, nothing out of the ordinary yet. Anything you want me to focus on?"

"Yes," Terra replied. "I could not detect an aura from him, none at all. That should not be possible. See if you can find any Talent testing results. He was probably tested like everyone else starting at about age thirteen."

"I will see what I can find. Oh, and Terra, if this smells like a trap, just get out of there fast. Be careful, okay?"

"Thanks, Hex, I will."

Terra opened a saddlebag and shuffled through the few extra clothes she brought with her. Realizing she had nothing better to wear than what she had on, she closed it. She looked at herself in the small motorcycle mirror as an anxiousness prickled her gut, then paced back and forth.

Get a hold on yourself, girl! This is not a prom date. Just appeal enough to him to find out how he knows you. Although, a bit of seduction might even be fun.

Terra reentered the tavern and sat down at the same table to wait. A blonde-haired woman came into the room and took to cleaning tables, catching the bartender's eye along the way and blowing him a kiss. In a few minutes, Will came down the steps wearing a cleaner version of his prior work clothes. Terra's anxiousness about being underdressed abated.

She stood as he approached and their eyes held each other. With a half smirk, Will said, "I was afraid you might run away."

Terra pointed to herself, then at him. "Oh, no," she purred. "Understand that I'm the captor and you are the prisoner. I'm glad you did not run away."

The woman cleaning tables rushed over to Will, giving him a warm hug. "Will, so good to see you again. It's been a while since you passed our way."

"Too long, Mary. I hope you and John are doing well."

"I shouldn't complain, but I probably will." She said, breaking the hug. "Would you like some dinner? We have some good beef stew tonight." Mary turned toward Terra. "For your friend as well?"

Terra replied, "That sounds good. And some more of that wonderful cider."

Will positioned himself between both women. "Oh, Terra, this is Mary. She and her husband John own this place." He pointed towards the bartender, who returned a mock salute. "Mary, this is Terra, my new friend. She came here to capture me."

Mary giggled, pinching Will on the cheek. "Good luck Terra. Many women have tried to catch him, but only one ever succeeded."

After Mary walked away giggling, Terra smirked, "So, you're quite the lady's man, are you?"

A hint of rouge appeared on Will's face. "Not really."

Oh, wow. He is a lady's man and doesn't even know it. That is a potent combination.

"So, are you married or in a serious relationship?" Terra asked, lifting an eyebrow.

Will's expression became vacant, lifeless, and he dipped his head. "Once I was."

Terra held her breath. He grieves.

Uncomfortable silence shrouded the table like smoke from a distant fire. Fortunately, Mary interrupted the mood, bearing two steaming bowls of stew, two tankards of cider, and a loaf of bread with butter. After a deep breath, the life returned to Will's face, and silence was replaced with the clinks of silverware and satisfied slurps.

"This is so good," Terra muttered between mouthfuls.  

"So," Will said, putting down his spoon. "This is what I propose. I have some deliveries to make up in Freehold. You could come with me. It will give us a chance to get to know each other better."

Terra wiped her lips with a white cloth napkin. This could work. The mission parameters are to evaluate the Hooded Man, if it is him. I can defend myself if needed, although Will has been nothing but a gentleman so far. This might even be fun.

"Okay," she replied, "but I have one stipulation. We are to be completely honest with each other."

He nodded. "That would be most efficient. I accept, but reserve the right not to answer a question."

"Very well." She extended her hand to his and shook, sealing the agreement. "What should I do with my motorcycle?"

His face brightened. "That's yours? Awesome machine! There is room on my truck. We can take it with us." He lifted his mug. 

Terra leaned forward and put on a seductive expression, pouting her lips and peering up at Will through long eyelashes. "So," she cooed in a low breathy voice, "where should I sleep tonight?"

Will coughed, choking on his drink, then picked up his napkin to wipe his mouth. He stammered, "Yeah, umm, I can have Mary get you a room." 

A tingle swept around Terra's neck to her cheeks as they ate, averting eyes from each other. Finally, Will broke the awkward silence. "It will be a long ride tomorrow. We need to leave early, by sunrise or so. Let's meet for breakfast at six."

Terra groaned. "So early?"

"Well, there is an old saying — the early bird gets the worm."

"Maybe so, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.8K 1.6K 38
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION "Ara . . . I made a mistake, we all did . . . go back to the beginning . . . it's not too late." As the only female to survive...
833K 27.4K 40
. Three years. It had been three years since he'd been taken, experimented on, had his DNA altered and became a freak of nature. He knew be...
Plutonian By Sonia John

Science Fiction

2.9M 195K 82
[THIS STORY IS FREE WITH EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT] A fake relationship, a diabolical plan and a threat to the human race. The only thing that ties th...
24 4 10
In the year 2150, emotions are a forgotten language. Feelings, outlawed. Humanity, reduced to an unfeeling, cold existence under the iron rule of The...