Dark Fall

By wdhenning

The world changed forever after the Awakening. It activated long dormant genetic code, giving people degrees... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters
Chapter 2 - Atonement
Chapter 3 - In Memoriam
Chapter 4 - Informant
Chapter 5 - First Encounter
Chapter 6 - Enigma
Chapter 7 - Early Morning
Chapter 8 - Roadside Help
Chapter 9 - New Life
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - School
Chapter 12 - Dinner and Interrogation
Chapter 13 - Triage
Chapter 14 - Picnic
Chapter 15 - Investigation
Chapter 16 - Psi-Surgery
Chapter 17 - Pickup Lines
Chapter 18 - Religion
Chapter 19 - Battle
Chapter 20 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 21 - Distant Threat
Chapter 22 - Grief
Chapter 23 - Necros
Chapter 24 - Injured
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Revelation
Chapter 27 - Sanctuary
Chapter 28 - Association
Chapter 29 - Passion
Chapter 30 - Connections
Chapter 31 - Love and Decision
Chapter 32 - Training
Chapter 33 - Awkward Situation
Chapter 34 - Road Trip
Chapter 35 - First Test
Chapter 36 - Former Home
Chapter 37 - Resignation
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Karma
Chapter 40 - Pancakes and Popsicles
Chapter 41 - New Life
Chapter 42 - The Library
Chapter 43 - Matrimony and War
Chapter 44 - The Null
Chapter 45 - Mercenary
Chapter 46 - Ambush
Chapter 47 - New Allies
Chapter 48 - Rescue Operation
Chapter 49 - Trauma
Chapter 50 - Daughters
Chapter 51 - Anna
Chapter 52 - Adjustments
Chapter 53 - Family Vacation
Chapter 54 - The Finders
Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation
Chapter 56 - Training
Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast
Chapter 58 - Storm
Epilogue - Perfect Day
Authors Final Note
Cover Art

Prologue

2.2K 62 38
By wdhenning

Professor of History Darius Whitman bounded into his office, his gray handlebar mustache twitching and eyes twinkling with excitement. The Dark Fall Records, sealed for twenty-five years to the day, would now be unveiled. Sitting in a corner, Historian Connor Kuitu rose to meet him, clutching a sealed folder. Darius tossed his brown tweed jacket toward a coat tree in the opposite corner, missing entirely, then embraced Connor in a tight hug, forgoing the usual handshake.

"Come, Connor," Darius said, motioning toward his cluttered wooden desk. "Have a seat. Long have I waited for this moment. I don't know how you kept it secret so long."

Connor shrugged. "I was bound by the agreement. Truth often comes at a price."

The Dark Fall, as it was called, brought an end to the oppressive Sage Dynasty and reset humanity, although not without considerable upheaval. Connor had been granted an interview with the principles behind it all on the condition that the records remained sealed for twenty-five years. Now the time had come.

With a sweep of his arm, Darius cleared the desk, flinging the papers, memory sticks, and pens across the office. "I must confess, my friend, I was torn between cursing you for not sharing the secrets with me earlier or commending you for keeping them. But no matter. What have you to share?"

The Professor leaned forward and fluttered his fingers on the desktop in anticipation, for his academic reputation was at stake.

Centuries ago, Dr. Fai Hsu precipitated the fall of the World Order, a brutal collective government that ruled over what population survived the Green Wars. She devised a way to activate long dormant genetic code, giving people various levels of telekinesis and telepresence, or Talent, as was commonly known. These abilities allowed rebels to overcome vastly superior forces and form the New Republic. Later, Dr. Hsu released an engineered virus, activating Talent among the general population, an event known as the Awakening. A long period of relative peace and prosperity followed before the formation of the first of several repressive post-Awakening Dynasties.

Later in life, Dr. Hsu fell into psychosis, and her rambled writings, mostly related to the fall of mankind and the corruption of power, were largely discounted. But Professor Whitman maintained that Dr. Hsu was not so delirious, instead planting the seeds of Dark Fall.

"Oh, you will find this most interesting and enlightening," Connor said, putting on a sly grin. With a small pocketknife, he sliced through the red sealing tape and extracted a stack of papers and a memory stick. "It all started with a Blue Uprising Agent named Terra Lorr..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Plutonian By Sonia John

Science Fiction

3.1M 203K 82
[THIS STORY IS FREE WITH EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT] A fake relationship, a diabolical plan and a threat to the human race. The only thing that ties th...
1K 59 56
London, 2068. This is my personal account of the events that had happened. A crisis had taken over the entire world. Gas. Steam. It was the industria...
868K 28.4K 40
. Three years. It had been three years since he'd been taken, experimented on, had his DNA altered and became a freak of nature. He knew be...
82.9K 6.9K 92
Terra, allied with the State, discovers her parents were executed as Rebels. Hunting whoever betrayed them, she goes to war with the State - and the...