Not Just a Luna

By EarlyDusk

Violet Thomas never filled the role that anyone wanted her to. Leading up to her 17th birthday, her father is... More

Prologue
WOLVEN
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
BLOOD
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
THANK YOU

Chapter 8

2.6K 109 3
By EarlyDusk

As Father begins to welcome everyone to the disco, I sit on one of the back tables that have been pushed against the wall to clear the floor space. Conveniently, I'm also only a few metres away from the snack table.

The 'Blood Moon Disco' as it's christened, is only for those 17 and older. Although, the oldest people seem to still be under 30. I can already tell that everyone, including myself, is ignoring what my father is saying.

"And thank you. We can now begin." My father finishes, and the music turns on.

The room has maybe around 100 people in it. A lot of them probably come from the 'town', a place about 20 kilometres down the road, with a school and cafe. I don't go there much, but I know father goes down a few times a week. I mean, he is the alpha. But a lot of pups are kept away during their childhood since there can always be someone who's out to get us.

I swing my legs, as they can't reach the ground. Unsurprisingly, not many people come back here, even though there is the food. But I guess, most people have more of an interest in dancing. For some people, it may also be their chance to meet their mate, if they live in the more outer farms.

"You look lonely." I hear a voice comment, and I snap back to reality.

"You could say that", I find myself admitting.

The man smiles, and he only looks around my age. He's no older than 19, that's for sure. He holds out his hand, but I don't take it.

"You know, when you meet someone, you usually shake hands. You must be really alone if you don't know that", he says.

"Well, I don't really care for traditions."

"Fair enough", he sits on the table, sliding back as to lean against the wall.

He pulls his hand through his dark hair, and asks, "So, may I ask what you name is?"

"You may ask."

"Well, then. What is it?"

"Violet."

"I'm Jayden. Wait, Violet?" His green eyes flash with a glimmer of recognition.

"Yes, Violet. It's a name."

"Violet Thomas?"

"Who knows?"

"You. And by that, I am guessing you are. You're already 17, though? I thought the Alpha's kid was still a pup!" He exclaims.

"Yeah. I was yesterday."

For a second, he seems confused, then his face expresses a look of realisation, "Oh! Well, Happy Birthday."

"I thought it would have said something like that on the invites."

"Nah. All it said was 'Blood Moon Disco'" He replies. So it really must have been a hidden motive.

"Okay."

"Although, most of my friends came along hoping to find their mate." He responds.

"Ah." Then I realise something, "But not you?"

"Nope. I don't particularly care about all that. It'll happen when it happens. Plus, as long as I don't have my mate, it won't hurt to have some fun."

"Okay." I don't agree with him on the 'have some fun' bit, but with the rest, I do.

"I'm guessing that you haven't found yours yet."

"No. And I sure am glad."

"Who knows, maybe he's in this room with you."

"Maybe. Hopefully, I won't meet him, though."

"You really are a strange girl." He comments.

"I guess so. Although, didn't you say that you felt the same?"

"Yeah, but usually girls, even the ones that do fool around, are just desperately waiting to meet 'him'." He explains, "I don't know, maybe it is worth the impatience."

"Ah, okay."

We sit there, him against the wall, me on the edge of the table, for a few minutes. Neither of us speak, but it's a comfortable silence.

"Anyway, it's nice to meet you. I got to go check that none of my friends have gotten too drunk. They brought some beer, and yeah... See you 'round."

"Bye." 

After he disappears into the crowd, I slip off the table. I walk over to the food and look over the platters, considering what to try first.

I decide on the meatballs, and lean over to take one, but jump as I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Vi? Is that you?" I hear a familiar voice question.

I turn around and grin when I see who it is, "Meg! So you're back from Europe!"

"Yep." My 23-year-old cousin grins, "You've certainly grown up since the last time I saw you!"

"It was the 18th of September, that time, too, Meg. Except it was 6 years ago, of course, I've grown up. We haven't seen each other since my twelfth birthday!"

"Maybe grown up is the wrong way to word it." She laughs at my scowl. "Anyway, where is Alex?" She sees me bite my lip and then frowns. "Did you two have a falling out?"

"No... it's just that..." I trail off, not wanting to talk about it.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure he'll be fine. He was always an annoyingly determined boy. Remember when he convinced me to let him drive my car?"

I laugh, remembering the week in which Alex would travel to Meg's house every single morning, dragging me along with him as 'I was her favourite'. 

"He's grown up a bit since then. He does see common sense, and well, he's the more sensible one out of the two of us."

"Alex, sensible?" She laughs, "I guess he did begin to mature towards the last few months that I was here."

I remember the times when Alex was the rash, insensible one. But one day, it all changed. I guess it was for the better, as the two of us were constantly causing trouble.

"Anyway, I gotta leave. Need to find my mate, you see. I've been away for 6 years, I don't want to wait for any time longer." Megan giggles and then walks off, beginning to talk to some boy.

I go to take my meatball, when another voice interrupts me, "May I have a dance with you?"

I sigh but remember that father will ask if I danced, so I answer, "I guess so."

"So, Violet, how special do you feel now that you're 17?"

"How do you know my name? And that's it my birthday?"

"I'm a son of your father's friend." He takes my hand. It's a slow song, how annoying.

"Well, looks like you can tick me off your list for potential mates." He comments.

"Why do you think that I am trying to find him?"

"Well, isn't everyone? That's why we all turned up, after all."

"Not me. I'm here because I was told to."

"You could say the same about me, I suppose. Anyway, what would your pack do if you didn't find your mate?"

"Well, I could be Alpha, " I laugh, the bitter tone in my voice blatantly evident, "Oh, I think I'll find him eventually. And then I guess my father will be happy and he'll be living in my house."

"Fair enough. But surely, that annoys you."

Although I do feel strongly about it, I'm not about to pour my heart out to a stranger, "It doesn't matter whether it does or doesn't. Things are how they are, and I doubt that they'll change."

"But what if they could?"

"Huh?" I ask, confused, "What do you mean by that?"

"Oh, nothing." He dismisses it with a flick of his wrist. "Just something to think about. Anyway. I better be going. A pleasure meeting you, Violet Thomas."

"You too, I guess. Wait, what was your name?" I ask, but he's already gone.

Now, I can finally go eat my meatballs. I begin to walk back to the snack table, but as I do so, I feel a slight tap on my shoulder.

"WHAT?" I yell, making a few people nearby give me a worried glance. 

"Violet, they weren't gonna tell you until you got back, but I thought you'd want to know", I see Jasmine, and feel apologetic as she continues, "They'll let you go see Alex."

Without another word to her, I rush out of the room, the meatballs forgotten.

I take the door out of the meeting room, straight to the outside and sprint to Alex's house. As badly as I want to just fling it open, I painstakingly knock on his door, and luckily, Melissa opens it immediately.

"Go ahead", she says, already knowing why I am there. I walk up the stairs, as not to cause a ruckus.

I open the door slightly, expecting the worse. The door creaks, and he glances over at me.

"Hey", Alex greets, his voice croaky and quiet.

"Hey." I walk over to the chair next to his bed and sit down in it.

"Did you find him?"

"Who?"

"Your mate."

"You think I'd be here if I did? Kidding. But, no."

"That's good."

I decide not to question it, "So, umm..." I speak quietly, "How's it going?"

Confusion flashes through his eyes, but he soon replies, "Oh, the Wolfsbane?"

"Yeah, that."

He makes a weak attempt at a grin, "Most of it's already gone through my system. I'll be able to get out of bed in a few days."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Oh, that's good."

"What, did you think I was gonna die or something?"

I don't reply, and he laughs, "You actually did, didn't you?"

"Well, it was Wolfsbane."

"It'd take a lot more than a sip of that stuff to kill me, Vi. I won't be leaving you for a long time. Oh, that reminds me."

He reaches over and grabs a box off his bedside table. "Sorry I couldn't give it to you earlier."

I laugh, "There's no need to apologise, Alex. I really doubt that anyone could blame you for that."

He holds the present over to me, and as I take it, our hands touch each other, for less than a second, but it's still enough.

I feel a warm shudder go through my spine, and a spark where our hands touch.

Oh. My. Gosh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my terrific readers!

So, what did you think of that, huh? Surprise you, or did you see it coming? Also, if you check what Alex's phone number as you may find something. If you really care that much, there's a little treat for you there!

As always, thank you for reading, and it'd be greatly appreciated if you voted or commented.

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 37.5K 25
Brooklyn is a sweet and caring nineteen year old werewolf. Her dad is the alpha of the Blue Shadow pack. Brooklyn is his baby and he wants her to be...
1.3M 36.6K 45
The ground shook. The battle began. Blood spilled. The Alpha died. The luna escaped with her new born child. 17 years later. Meet Athena a 17-year ol...
347K 8.2K 40
Arabella Sanchet, one of the most powerful witches in her world is also the daughter of an Alpha. When her pack is destroyed and her father is killed...
750K 33K 79
Alphas did not have daughters. They never have. It just didn't happen. When an Alpha's mate gives birth to a baby girl, he refuses to recognize her...