The Beauty & The Tragedy

By AViolentEmotion

I didn't know when I met her she would become everything to me. More

Late Night Propositions
Band Rehersals and Bar Hopping
The Highway Don't Care
Anywhere But Home
Nothing Was The Same
Only Girl In The World
It Could've Been The Cocaine
Tattoos And Memories
Youngbloods Run Free Forever
The Sound Of Madness
If You Can Give It I Can Take It
You Got A Boyfriend Anyway
Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
Let The Ocean Take Me
I Hate It When You See Me Cry
She's So Bad But She Does It So Well
You Have My Heart At Least For The Most Part
Thats Probably Going To Leave A Mark
Call Me When You're Sober
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together...Like Ever.
Hell On Heels
The Heart Wants What It Wants
This Beautiful Tragedy Is Crashing Into Me
Crashing From The High
Say Something I'm Giving Up On You
Its Been Awhile But I Still Feel The Same
Meanwhile Back At Mama's
This Is No Ordinary Love
Beautiful With You
Watch Over You
Thats Damn Rock & Roll
Love Me Like You Do
We'll Crash Down Like An Avalanche
Heres To Us
Breathe You In
This Is Not Happening
Lonely When You're Not Around
Is There Somebody Who Can Watch Over You
How Do I Live?
Learning To Breathe Without You
Your Heart Is The Reason I Keep My Feet On The Ground
We've Come A Long Way From Where We Began
Everything Changes Except For The Way I Feel About You
I'll Tell You All About It When I See You Again

Butterfly Kisses and Razor Blades

3.2K 92 4
By AViolentEmotion

Chapter Three

A couple weeks after the first rehearsal and the awkward shower encounter with Demi, the band had booked their first gig. Or rather I booked them their first gig. The early years were like that. I was essentially their manager and I took care of their social media sites and booking. I also funded the recording of several of their EP's since I was pretty much the only one with an actual job. They always promised to pay me back and they eventually did, tenfold. In more ways than one...

I had my laptop perched in my lap while I edited a video that would be put up on their YouTube page. I could hear Joe and Demi arguing about something in the background. She was relentless. After several long arguments and debates they had somehow managed to settle on a band name. Once that was done, I was able to create and upload the videos that would launch their career. I literally recorded everything.

Demi was definitely my favorite. I recorded her the most. There was something about her that drew me in. The way she played the guitar was effortless. There was something almost sexual about it.

"Did you get that?" She asked me with a huge grin on her face.

"Yes." I laughed. "I got it." I answered in reference to the solo she just played.

"Hey Joe!" Johnny called out. "That's how it's done bro!"

"Shut up." Joe said rolling his eyes. "She already has an ego problem. Don't make it worse."

"Eat a dick!" Demi snapped back.

"Can you guys chill?" Nick asked from behind the drum kit. He had the tone of an annoyed father. "We play live in two days. Two days" He repeated.

"Yes sir." Demi mumbled as she saluted him.

He ignored her sarcasm.

"It was a good solo." Joe said as a peace offering.

"Thank you." Demi replied with a bow.

"We need to tighten up the harmonies Joe." Matt said before taking a long gulp of water. "I'm not feeling it."

"I can help." Demi offered.

"You sing?" Matt asked raising an eyebrow.

"A little." She grinned. I could tell she was up to something.

"Get Demi a mic." Nick smiled. "I hope y'all are ready." He added shaking his head.

Matt and Johnny set a mike up for Demi and they all settled in and got ready to play.

"From the top." Matt said signaling they were about to begin.

"One, Two, One, Two, Three, Four!" Nick chanted as he tapped his drum sticks in time to his countdown.

One cue the entire band kicked in. It was a heavy song and Matt had an incredible voice. I recorded him as he sang. The emotion he put into it was breath taking. He didn't care if it was just rehearsal. He practiced exactly how he performed. All out. The chorus was a screaming part and Joe provided the singing vocals, while Matt screamed. My jaw dropped when Demi joined in. Joe was so distracted by her voice that he stopped singing altogether. Matt did a double take and Johnny just smiled.

She had an incredible voice. I couldn't believe it. Once the song finished, everyone just sort of stood there dumbfounded.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell us you could sing like that?" Matt asked excitedly. "I mean...holy shit!"

"You never asked." Demi shrugged.

They immediately created new arrangements and harmonies that featured Demi's vocals. I was surprised Joe didn't complain. He was genuinely impressed with her vocal talent. In the months that followed, Demi would ultimately be the reason that they would get a record deal.

After several more hours of playing, they finally called it a day. I was thankful. I was exhausted and I wanted to go home.

"Pretty amazing eh?" Nick said waggling his eyebrows as he approached me.

"Yes." I laughed. "You guys were amazing." I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him softly.

"Mmmmm. That's nice." He smiled.

"Demi trolled all of you didn't she?" I asked with a smirk.

"Nah. Just Joe." He said in a hushed tone.

"So you knew?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yup. I've known since we were kids."

"Joe and Demi dated, wouldn't he know as well?" I asked slightly confused.

"Ha!" Nick exclaimed. "No. They dated for like a month and she decided to come out. It was never that serious and they weren't that close. They didn't really know each other well." He explained.

"Oh." I said nodding my head. "That makes sense."

We said our goodbyes to the guys and Demi, and headed home. I collapsed on the couch as soon as we walked through the door. It didn't take long before my eyelids felt heavy and I fell asleep.

I jolted awake when I heard my cellphone go off. I groaned as I reached in between the couch cushions to answer it. I glanced at the caller ID and scrunched my nose. I was surprised to see her calling me so late at night. I was actually surprised to see her even calling me at all. We had exchanged numbers about a week ago, but that was about it. I answered the phone and I could tell immediately that something was wrong. She sounded panicked and she was breathing heavy.

"I n....need you to help me!" She said frantically.

"Demi what's wrong?" I asked trying to keep calm.

"Can you come to my apartment?" She asked without even acknowledging my question. "Bring bandages. Lots of bandages!" She said before hanging up. Luckily I knew where she lived.

I sat there for a few moments stunned. I had no idea what was happening. I did know that she called me and asked me to help her so that's exactly what I did. I grabbed my car keys, threw on a sweatshirt and left without saying a word to Nick. I made a quick stop at a drug store to grab the things she asked for and I drove to her apartment.

I ran up the stairs and knocked on her door. She didn't answer. I knocked again and her her muffled voice told me to come in. I turned the doorknob and walked into the apartment. It took me several moments to register what I had walked into.

I saw Demi on the floor holding onto a dark haired woman who appeared to unconscious. There was blood everywhere. Demi looked up and I could tell she had been crying. Her eyes were red and puffy and her cheeks were wet. I approached her and gasped when I realized what was happening.

"I'll get water." I said as I turned around and went into the kitchen.

I searched until I located a bowl, filled it with water and then I grabbed a roll of paper towels. I knelt beside Demi and the dark haired woman, and I took a deep breath.

"May I?" I asked pointing at the woman's arm.

She nodded.

I carefully lifted the dark haired woman's arm and turned it over. I gasped at what I saw.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

"I came home and found her like this." She said pushing her fingers through her hair. "She cut too deep again."

"Again?" I questioned.

"Yeah. She does this." Demi sighed.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know. She won't talk to me." Demi said sadly. "It's been happening for years. I've been trying to take...care of her..." She answered as her voice cracked.

Before either of us could say anything else, a little girl who couldn't be anymore than four came walking out of a bedroom.

"Mama? What's happening?" She asked, her little voice wavered slightly. You could tell she was scared.

I was stunned. I had no idea that Demi had a daughter.

"Hey sweetheart." Demi said softly forcing a smile. She shifted the weight of the woman she was holding and glanced over at me with apologetic eyes.

"It's ok." I said quickly. "I've got her." I said as I took Demi's place holding the woman.

I watched as Demi picked up the small girl and carried her back into the bedroom. As soon as she was gone, I turned my attention to the woman I was holding. I ripped several paper towels off the roll and dipped them into the water. I carefully pressed them to the cut skin that covered the woman's forearms. Once I had cleaned up the obviously self inflicted wounds, I wrapped her arm in bandages and repeated the entire process for the other one.

"Her name is Dylan." Demi explained when she returned. "We've been together for the past three and a half years. Brooklyn, the little girl you just saw, was six months old when we met. I'm the only other parent she's ever known."

I remember this moment because it was the first time that I realized Demi wasn't as put together as I thought. She was strong on the surface but not all the way through. She had baggage and the scariest part about it was I wouldn't have known had this not happened. Her poker face was excellent and I'd spend years trying to figure it out.

Once Dylan was bandaged and resting comfortably, Demi checked on Brooklyn and sat down with me on the couch. I reached over and grabbed her hand. She gave me a weak smile and squeezed mine in return. She looked completely exhausted.

"Say something." She sighed. "You've hardly said anything."

"I...I'm not sure what to say." I said nervously. "It's a lot to process. Are you ok?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." Her voice sounded emotionless. "I'm sorry you had to see that. I panicked..."

"It's ok. I'm glad you called." I smiled reassuringly.

"We're friends right?" She asked with a pained expression on her face.

"Of course." I said confidently.

"I don't think I can do this anymore. She's getting worse. I don't know what to do." She said leaning forward and covering her face with her hands as her elbows rested on her knees.

"Are you thinking about leaving?" I asked gently.

"Yeah. I am." She answered as her shoulders shook. She had started crying again. "I can't..." She whispered.

Instinctively I wrapped my arms around her and she immediately leaned into me. I liked the way she felt in my arms. It was a comfortable feeling. She cried for several minutes and I simply held her.

I felt her pull away so I released her.

"I'm all she has." She rasped as she tried to regain her composure. "I've tried everything. Rehab, therapy, hospitalization...everything." She sighed. "I'm exhausted."

I'd remember this moment for the rest of my life. What happened next, changed Demi forever. She stood up, disappeared into one of the bedrooms and reemerged with an overstuffed duffel bag and a guitar case.

"When she wakes up. I'm leaving." She stated.

It suddenly occurred to me that she didn't pack anything for a small child. "What about Brooklyn?" I asked.

"Don't. Just don't." She breathed as she tried to maintain her composure. "I can't."

A/N: I hope you are all enjoying this story. Please review/like it if you do. I appreciate feedback and I like to know what y'all are thinking. Follow me on twitter @AViolentEmotion. I promise I'm not annoying!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 2.2K 52
Lauren never knew that when she bumped into somebody, her life would change forever.
81.8K 2.5K 47
Demi had been confident in every aspect of her life. Failing at relationships was nothing new, it never phased her. That was until SHE came into her...
9.7K 451 26
Dinah Jane had no idea how much she needed Lauren until the girl appeared into her life. It was like fate.
30.6K 774 22
I didn't expect a daughter.