Deception

By LoveYourTalent

BASED ON BBC ROBIN HOOD SERIES - When Robin of Locksley returns from fighting in the Holy Lands, along side w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38 - The Wedding
Should I continue?
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Author Note
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86 - BIG REVEAL
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Epilogue

Chapter 37

1K 33 3
By LoveYourTalent

Esme lies as they left her on the rock slab as Little John leads the gang in with a torch. They stop a few paces from her just seeing her lie there. Will and Allan both gulped and tried to bury the guilt in their stomachs as Will drew in a few heavy breaths.

"We must take her to Knighton Hall, to her father." Robin spoke quietly as his voice began breaking as he stands staring at Esme with tears in his eyes.

"John, I want you to... Djaq, prepare her body." Robin starts as he's trying not to break down. Everyone remained silent and in their place in the line as Robin takes a step towards Esme.

"Will, I need you to make... I need you to make a coffin." Robin takes in an audible breath as Little John passes behind him and puts his arm round his shoulders.

"Shhh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh. In good time. First...we say goodbye." Little John comforts as he turns to face Esme.

"She was a good woman. Kind and considerate. She was family….She was like a sister I never had…..she always put others first…" Will spoke first as a tear fell down his cheek as Much went next nodding his head.

"Good? Oh, she was... She was..." He struggled to say anything other than that due to the lump growing in his throat as Allan took a step beside Much.

"She was all right... Yeah." He whispered as Little John went next tears brimming in his eyes.

"Her... we liked."

"Her we loved. Her I loved... I loved her and I never told her." Robin stated upset he never got to finally say it.

"Well, she knew. We all knew. "Much spoke as he continued to sniff. Allan shifts his feet, frowning at Esme as Much sniffs again and Allan takes a step forwards, staring at her.

"I’m not being funny, right? She’s breathing." Allan pointed out as he turns to Robin. Robin rolls his eyes, thinking Allan has a bad joke going, as Little John glances at Esme, frowning. Allan, sensing their skepticism, earnestly holds an arm out to her and Little John takes the torch over. Will stares at her, hardly daring to hope. Robin and Much remain still as Djaq holds her sword under Esme’s nose, and sees her breath condense on the cold metal.

"On the blade. She is breathing." Djaq gasped surprised as they all hurried to her side.

"What?"

"The physician’s draught. I have heard of this before. Hemlock. Too much and the body freezes.....the breathing stops. But if one is young and strong, the body fights back. Comes back from the dead!" Djaq cried out happily as she started opening Esme’s eyes, one at a time, to check her pupils as Little John leans over to look. Little John and Much beamed brightly with smiles as Will was still in shock slightly with tears falling down his face as Robin started rubbing Esme's hoping to glance into her eyes once more.

"Esme? Esme?" He whispered out as Esme weakly opens her eyes causing them all to laugh and cry with relief.

"Where have I been?" She asked weakly as he smiled brightly down at her.

"I don’t know... but I’m glad you’re back!" He laughed kissing her forehead as she let her eyes close to sleep a little longer. This time actually sleeping.

*************

The next time I woke up I was in Little John's arms as I felt myself being placed in the comforts of bed as I snuggled into the sheets lightly. I noticed Djaq pulls the blankets over me as my father leans over anxiously from the doorway. I gave a weak smile towards the gang as I yawned letting their words blur in my ears as my eyes drooped slightly.

"Gisborne!" I heard Will shout out as I couldn't bring my eyes to open up as I could hear a slight commotion in my room. Obviously they were all trying to find a hiding spot as I could hear my father and Guy downstairs before the sound of thumping feet grew louder.

"I told you." My father spoke as I felt the bed shift slightly which meant Guy would be leaning against my bed.

"She looks pale. Esme?" He softly called I gently opened my eyes towards him and turned my head in his direction slightly. However out of the corner of my eye I noticed that through the green gauze that draped over her bed was hiding Robin against the ceiling.

"Sh-sh. It’s all right. It’s only me." Guy whispered as I gave him a weak smile before turning my head away and closing my eyes once more.

"She is unwell. I will send for a physician." Guy spoke urgently.

"No need. I’m sure rest and recuperation...Perhaps the excitement of the wedding." Hearing my father remind me of the wedding, made my stomach turn, in both excitement and fear. They whispered to each other before a pair of boots faded, which signaled Guy leaving. As the loud bang of the door closing downstairs echoed throughout the house I watched as the gang escaped from their hiding spots.

“I will send for a physician.” Much exclaimed crossly as I glanced at Much who walks towards the fireplace.

"He just killed one. He is revolting." He snapped as Robin drops down from the ceiling.

"He killed one?" I asked weakly confused.

"Yes. Pitts." Much snapped as I drew in a shaky breath ready to cry. He just killed Pitts. My one escape, yet something inside me was happy though I know I shouldn’t be, especially if he is a traitor. Though Guy is just misunderstood, I believe he can still change for the better. Robin must have noticed my distress as he walks around the foot of the bed and sits at my side holding my hand.

"Yeah, but she’s got to marry Gisborne now. In Two days." Allan stated as Robin and I shared a look as I knew what he was about to say next.

"Esme, I will find another way out of this." He promised as I wished he wouldn’t raise my hopes only to watch them crumble.

"Robin, I need to speak to you." I heard my father sternly speak as Robin left as I weakly raised my head. I don't know how long they talked for, but I was ready to drift back to sleep when suddenly I jumped a little bit.

"Robin? I need your help. Robin!" My father shouted following the sudden slam of the door downstairs. I knew something went wrong as the rest of the gang looked nervous before they quietly left me to rest as I closed my eyes with a heavy sigh……

*************

I woke up rather early the next morning feeling slightly better. I was still tender around my wound as I gingerly make my way down the stairs, using one hand on the wall to steady myself and holding my side with the other. My father glanced up to the sound of my feet as he turned from the table holding a tray which he had prepared for me and rose to his feet and help guide me into the chair as I winced slightly followed by a small smile.

"What is happening with Merton and the other nobles? Will you get word to the King?" I asked him as I gently ate the bread and dipped it into the broth which my father had prepared for me as he sat down in the chair opposite me.

"If we can. If not, we will protect him as he arrives in Nottingham. Esme sits down and Edward returns to the tray on the table." My father informed as I nodded slightly worried about the Sheriff. I knew it was dangerous, any move against the Sheriff and getting caught would result in his death.

"And Robin?" I asked as my father stiffened in the chair and his eyes widened slightly causing me to frown.

"What of him?" He asked alarmed as I looked at his sudden confusing behavior towards Robin.

"Well, he used to be in charge of the King’s private guard. He will assist you." I told thinking it was evident as my father shook his head making me frown.

"I think not…….He wants to stop your wedding." He sighed deeply as I sighed in return. Was it wrong I was starting to think that marrying Guy wouldn't be so bad? I could see he truly love and cared for me, he made no attempts to hide it. Maybe in time I could even learn to love him back in return much to Robin's detest.

"Do you believe Gisborne went to the Holy Land? Tried to kill the King? Attacked Robin?" I asked my father hoping someone would believe it to be a lie.

"I do not know what to believe any more." My father whispered shaking his head as I leant back into my seat thinking for a moment.

"Will you take me to Guy? I need to ask him." I requested as he was hesitant at first before helping me back up the stairs where I got formally dressed in a white gown and slipped on my white cloak as well. By this time my father had gotten the coach prepared as I was helped in and calmly sat, nurturing my stomach against the bumpy road. Neither of us spoke a word as we drew closer to Locksley and soon came to a stop outside the manor.

Get out and scour the country for the Nightwatchman! I want him found by sunset!" I could hear Guy shout out as I gulped slightly before allowing the driver to assist me out of the coach. My father remained seated as I could see two servants carrying the splintered door from the previous night outside as Guy appeared holding one of Robin's arrows in one hand and his axe in the other. I drew a strong breath before walking slightly in his direction.

"Esme." He called out surprised to see me as he beamed though looked rather concerned as I much admit made me smile slightly.

"I am quite well." I informed which made him give a sigh of relief though I knew he was still cautious as he soon realized his axe in his hands.

"Er, a robbery. A small thing.. But I-I’ve taken extra precautions. You’re entirely safe."He promised as he quickly hangs the axe on a beam and lays the arrow on a table under it

"I hope you have not lost anything important." I spoke acting like I truly cared as I stepped inside into the main room.

"I’ll get it back." Guy sinisterly replied as once I noticed we were alone I turned as I could see he was still curious as to why I was here.

"Sir Guy, I must ask you a difficult question." I stated as he crossed his arms and leant on his front foot with a smirk that made me take an extra gulp.

"I’m intrigued."

"Did you try and kill the King in the Holy Land?" I asked seriously as I saw his smile drop from his face very quickly.

"Pardon?" I could tell his tone was slightly defensive as I began playing with my fingers unintentionally.

"Is it true? That last year you were not in quarantine with a fever....... but that you travelled to the Holy Land, you and others dressed as Saracens, and tried to kill the King?" I asked him once more as Guy turns away and takes a few steps before chuckling shaking his head and turning back in my direction causing me to frown.

"Robin Hood." He muttered causing me to frown deeper.

"What of him?" I asked confused.

"Been talking to him?" He asked pointedly as I shook my head, realizing what he was stating.

"This is a rumour which has been circulating and I need an answer. I could not marry you if it were true." I quickly spoke to ensure he meant I was serious. I heard him sigh deeply before he began to circle me slowly making me slightly nervous though I refused to show it.

"Rumours, Esme. You need to be more careful......who you listen to." He whispered strongly in my ear making my body shiver as I felt his warm breath on my skin.

"The day the King returns is a day of joy for me. It is the day that I marry you. Have you not seen what you do to me? My passion for you? I have never felt like this before." Guy continued his voice dropping into a husky whisper as he drew closer. It was quick when I felt his warm lips on mine pressing gently and yet passionately as I hated the electricity escaping through my body the tingles in my fingers and toes and the fire roaring in my stomach. My body wanted to continue as I forced myself to pull back as I felt intoxicated and desperate for more. What was wrong with me!

"I must go." I whispered as I began to walk determinedly towards the door in need of fresh air and to be clear from Guy.

"Stay." He pleaded as I kept on walking eager to get my thoughts cleared.

"I must go." I repeated as I felt Guy catch my arm and stopping me and turning me back towards him.

"Not until you tell me you believe me." He whispered his eyes drawn back to my lips which I could tell were slightly swollen from the kiss.

"I believe you." I whispered my voice a little shaky as I gave a smile and quickly yet elegantly walked back to my father and the coach. I was grateful that my father didn't say anything as the entire road home I was playing with my lips remembering the aftermath of his kiss. Why did he affect me so much? I couldn't develop feelings for him! Could I?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 1.2K 27
Rather than perishing in the desert, Marian is rescued and nursed back to health. When it is time to return to England and settle some scores, who wi...
33.8K 709 24
Robin of Locksley is determined to protect villages all around the kingdom. Nothing stands in her way as she faces Sherif of Nottingham and many othe...
4K 78 10
Robin has returned from the Crusades to find that Guy of Gisborne has taken his place as Lord of Locksley. And that's not all he finds.
71.4K 1.4K 62
STILL UNDER EDITING BECAUSE I AM TRASH Linda of Nottingham has a problem: she's living in hell. Her father has over looked her ever since his failed...