The Girl who hunted Night

By ClassicF97

Beatrice Everlyn belongs to the greatest family of slayers that ever lived. Until the age of sixteen, she is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
The girl who chased the moon (sneak preview!)
The girl who chased the moon - Update

Chapter 18

421 22 2
By ClassicF97

I was not in 'my' room when I woke. I assumed that was due to the fact i'd broken the window. 

Good, let the leeches spend their money. 

Felix was sat in a chair, watching me, the minute my eyes opened he leapt up and onto the bed beside me. "Beatrice?" he said, taking my hand. I snatched it away, shaking violently. 

"Don't touch me!" I said.

"Beatrice I-"
"Don't!" I snapped, recoiling. 

He looked wounded, hurt flashed in his eyes, though it quickly vanished. Not thinking, I jumped out of bed and screeched as my ankle collapsed, unable to support me. I fell to the floor, hyperventilating and gasping, trying to stop myself crying. Felix was by my side instantly, lifting me back into the bed, mumuring sweet nothings in my ear. 

It scared the hell out of me. 

When the pain subsided, I asked him, "Why did you help me?"

He looked confused, "Should I have left you on the floor?" 

"I'm just surprised" I told him.
"I'm not as heartless as you think" he growled. I flinched at the coldness of his tone and he tightened his arms around me. "I just don't understand" I sighed.

"What?" 

"Why you care" I explained, "why me? I am no prettier than average, no more intelligent, maybe stronger perhaps, but no more extraordinary than any other slayer or even human for that matter. So why?"

He looked troubled, as if he was trying to work it out himself. "I-" he began, but stopped as if he changed his mind, "I've said it before, your a mystery, Beatrice. And people are always drawn to mystery"

I opened my mouth to speak but stopped myself, nearly blurting out but you're not people. You aren't a person. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked me all of a sudden.

"I beg your pardon?" I said.

"You. How are you feeling?"
I laughed, unable to contain it, "are you serious?" 

He frowned and anger flashed, dark red streaking across the green like a warning sign. "Felix, I'm going to die. How do you think I feel?" 

Nodding, he said, "Let me do something for you"

"Felix, you can't do anything for me, not unless your planning on letting me walk out of here"

"I can heal your ankle?"

"How?" I said, narrowing my eyes, already knowing the answer. 

"I could give you my blood" he said simply, waiting for my reaction. I didn't know what to do. My ankle was at least three times its normal size, I knew if left untreated it would become unusable, but the idea of drinking blood made me feel sick. It went against everything I stood for, it represented everything I was supposed to dispise. 

"Thank you, but I couldn't" I said.

"Why?" 

"Because..." I struggled for words, "It goes against everything I stand for, it goes against all my slayer upbringing, it is just wrong"

"You slayers think your so high and mighty? Don't you?" he said, "and you are very foolish too, leaving yourself with an injury like that, your defenceless"
"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, "surely it's in your interest for me to remain immobile"

"Because I care somewhat about your mental well being, and if you can't move from a windowless room for four months, then you will go insane"
I sighed, seeing his logic, I didn't really have a choice, it was either drink the blood or suffer staying locked away. Then again, I probably would be just locked away regardless.

I gave a small nod, and he seemed to understand, seeing the defeat in my eyes. He scouched onto the bed, pulling me into his side, I trembled at the contact. Alien feeling plagued me, and I suddenly felt very alert. He chuckled to himself, then bit into his wrist before raising it too my lips. "Drink" he instructed. 

My stomach was in knots, and I felt like I was going to be sick. Still, I closed my eyes and pressed my lips against his wrist. He gasped, though not from pain, from something else; the blood poured from the tiny wound, the coppery substances sliding over my tongue and down my throat as I sucked. 

After a moment I felt more alert, the pain in my ankle lessening, the aching in my muscles and joints receeding. My vision was sharp, my hearing my refined and before I knew it I was greedily sucking his wrist, drawing out more of the incredible liquid that seemed to have restored life to my aching bones. "Steady now" he said, prising his wrist away. 

I licked my lips, the faint taste still lingering on them. He stared transfixed at my lips for a moment, his eyes filled with something I was too naive to recognise. After that he looked away, his eyes reaching mine again. "Thanks" I said. 

"Feel better?" 

"Much, thank you" I said, looking at tiny features I had not previously noticed. I rose from the bed, testing the weight on my ankle and then leaping for joy around the room at being able to walk properly. I had not felt so alive in a long time, and it filled me with hope, happiness; even despite the dismal situation. 

He watched me oddly, I sighed, sitting on the floor, my back against the wall. I closed my eyes, think of the outside, the great countryside surround Rowhurst. When we were younger, they took us hiking up the mountains to strengthen us, you could see for miles, the sun would beat down and warm you, the wind blowing through my hair, If I squeezed my eyes shut hard enough, I could taste the fresh air again, the sweet mixture of nature and burning and rain all rolled into one, the air that filled my lungs, made me strong.

"Beatrice?" 
I snapped out of my daze quickly, opening my eyes and being brought back to reality. He studied me, as if trying to work me out. "What's wrong?" 

I didn't answer and he looked into my eyes, asking, "what's wrong?"

Something about his expression was off and his voice sounded different. "I can't force you" he said, talking aloud to himself.

"I beg your pardon?" I retorted. 

"I was trying to coerce you into telling me, but it didn't work, you didn't even notice!"

"How dare you!" I shouted, jumping to my feet and standing in front of him, "My mind is not yours to play with!"
"But it should of worked,  I don't understand, it always works"
"Keep out of my mind!" I hissed.

"That won't be a problem, I can't get in" he said.

"Good" I huffed. The audacity of it! 

I sat back on the floor and continued my day dream. "Tell me" he said softly.

"What?" 

"What's the matter?"
"You're really asking me that? While keeping me prisoner before I'm going to be sacrificed? You're asking what's wrong?"

He shrugged, "Yes"

"I was thinking of Rowhurst" I told him. It was difficult, to let go of a place that held so many memories.

"Do you miss it?"
"It's hard not too" I confessed, "whilst there I couldn't wait to leave, I thought this part of my life was going to be the best, hunting vampires, attending balls, maybe even falling in love. It seemed like a fairytale too me, slayers have different ideas about 'happily ever after', but every girl wants a knight in shining armour, no matter how strong she is, and now, despite everything I want to go back. It was simpler, I didn't have to worry there, things were taken care of for you, you just had to train"

He took this in and then got up, taking my hand and leading me from the room. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see" he grinned.

"Felix, I'm not dressed!" I pointed out, gesturing to the night gown. Again, he had selected lace, it was annoying me now, what happened to good old flannel? 

"Oh" he said, taking in my appearance again, his eyes lingering too long. "Well get changed and come out when your ready" 

I did that, struggling but just about managing with the corset strings. I joined him in the hall and he started jogging. "Follow me!" he called.

"Where are we going?" I replied.

"Don't be so damned prudish Beatrice!" he said, sounding exasperated.

Affronted, I charged after him, as he ran down the corridor. I felt giddy, and in that dead mansion, I felt alive. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8M 285K 101
In this life, a human without the money to pay for their own life is worth nothing. Take those humans in as property, breed them, and you'll end up l...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
4.7M 251K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
51.7M 2.1M 88
The world had gone to hell long ago, taken over by the vampire race. In order to keep some sort of peace in our land, the Vampire Lords made a consec...