The Gray Brothers: The Beginn...

By angel48183

Every story has a beginning before it has an ending. Growing up kitty-corner from three hot brothers, Patty n... More

The Grays
Nathaniel Gray aka Nate
Jonas Gray
Cayson Gray
Life is crazy then there's Lucille
Car problems
Late night chats
Life is full of lemons
Conspiracy theories
To homecoming or not to homecoming, that is the question
Apple orchard fun
Party issues
After party issues
Happy 18 birthday, Patty!
First date
I had a good time
Lucille is at it again
Dating a Gray boy
'Tis the season
'Tis the season, part 2
Guess whose birthday it is?
Hot and heavy
Decisions
My Girl: A Valentine's Day Chapter
I swear Lucille is crazy
Myrtle Beach for Spring Break? Sure, why not?
And the countdown begins
Prom
Finals and Graduation: The End of One Era and the Start of Another
Wedding Daze
The wedding night
Welcome home, Mrs. Gray
Settling into married life
Time to take a break and have fun
Surprise?
Here comes Nashville, aka Nash
Damn, Son. Did You Forget Your Raincoat?
New neighbors
No more!
12 years later: We're Having Company
Here comes the Gray Brothers
Mrs. George and Maggie

Halloween, trick or treating, and scary movies

8.6K 341 59
By angel48183

Patty

It wasn't surprising that Halloween was coming with the weirdness going around. At least, I don't think it did. The Gray boys were acting stranger than usual, but they're always strange. My brother was acting weird, and Liz was acting odd.

I swear this world is weird, and I live in it.

I tried to ignore the weirdness and focus on having fun on Halloween. Since my last year in high school, I went trick or treating. Don't judge. It's free candy, man. Plus, we get to wear a costume.

After Liz harped about Homecoming, I harped about trick or treating.

"This is so dumb. Why can't we go to a Halloween party?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes as I finished getting ready. "Stop complaining. We get free candy while wearing a costume. Plus, I don't feel too bad because I'm not eighteen yet." I turned to her and smiled.

"Fine. Let's get this over with."

"Why? Do you have a hot date or something?"

"No!"

I gave her a strange look since she was acting weirder than usual. Oh, well. It's time for candy.

We went trick or treating on the next street because people didn't hand out candy on my street — damn Scrooge's.

We went to the houses with a porch light on, knocked, yelled trick or treat, and got strange looks and candy thrown into our pillowcases. Even though Liz complained at first, she had fun.

We finished and made our way back to my house. It was already dark, and people were turning off their porch lights. Trick or treating was over. Well, that was until I had kids and could go again.

An icy shiver ran down my spine as we walked home, so I quickened my pace. The people picked up their pace until we were running towards my house.

Then it happened. Someone jumped out in a mask. "Rawr!"

We screamed, then I stopped when I heard laughter.

"Oh, that was classic," the person said under the mask.

What the hell? The person was laughing and clapping their hands. I walked over and lifted their mask to see Cayson.

I should have known. Then we heard more laughter. We turned to see Nate, Jonas, and Danny stepping out from the shadows, roaring with laughter. I narrowed my lips and glared at them.

"Real cute, you guys," I said.

"We thought so." Danny laughed.

"Why?"

"Because you scare easily, and it's Halloween." He grinned.

I gave him a playful smack. "How did you find us?"

"We were walking around and saw the two of you heading home. Plus, Mom wanted to make sure you both were okay." He shrugged.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. I was almost eighteen. I'm sure I can take care of myself.

"We're going back to the Gray's house to watch horror films if you both want to join us," Danny told Liz and me.

Before I responded, Liz said, "Sure."

I looked at her as she winked at me. I'll never understand my best friend. But then again, she is a teenage girl.

I sighed as we all walked back to the Gray's house to watch movies. It's a good thing that I had on a comfy costume since I didn't have a chance to go home and change, or I would be so screwed right now.

We walked into their house and made our way to the family room. Cayson popped in a movie and settled in, as did the rest of us. Liz and I sat on the loveseat while Jonas and Nate sat on the couch. My brother and Cayson sat on the floor. Now pay close attention to our seating arrangements.

The girls were on the loveseat. Right? The two older Gray boys were on the other couch. Got it? Cayson and Danny were on the floor. Okay? Now that we're clear on our seating arrangements, that's when musical seats happened.

I became so engrossed in the movie that I didn't notice they all had switched spots. Liz got up from her location with Nate taking her place. She sat next to Danny, taking Cayson's seat, and Cayson moved next to Jonas, taking Nate's place.

Halfway through the film, a scary scene happens. I screamed and jumped in my seat, only to have someone pull me close to them. Why the hell was Liz holding me? I turned to ask her when I noticed she was next to Danny, and Cayson was next to Jonas. My eyes widened as I saw Nate holding me while smiling.

My heart thumped in my chest, and the entire neighborhood heard it. I gulped. "Uh." Yeah, no words were forming as my mouth went dry.

"Yes?" His voice was silky as I stared at him wide-eyed. I had sat next to Nate before and touched him while helping him up. Never in my entire life have I ever been this close to him. My body temperature rose as I started sweating.

He leaned into my ear as his fiery breath fanned my cheek. "I want to kiss you, but your brother is here, and so is mine. And you're not eighteen."

He leaned away from me, and I shoved his arm off me. He smirked as I gazed at him. At that moment, I didn't know what to think. Was I a game to him? I didn't know or want to find out.

I got up from my seat and moved to a recliner, leaving him confused. Good, because he made me dizzy.

"How come you're sitting over there?" Danny asked me.

"Because I wanted to get comfortable." I shot Nate a glare. Sometimes, my brother is clueless.

We finished watching movies. After the last film ended, I snatched my candy and stormed home. I wouldn't be a game to anyone.

*****

Cayson

"What's up with Patty?" Jonas asked Nate.

"Beats me." Nate shrugged, walking to his room.

"I believe that big brother has blown it," I said.

"Blown what?" Danny asked.

"Danny, walk me home, and I'll explain this little thing called liking someone," Liz said, grabbing his arm and leading him out of their house.

Jonas looked at me. "All this work and he blows it in a matter of seconds. Ma will kill us."

I thought about it, tapped my finger against my lips, then snapped them. "I got it. I know how we can get those two together."

"How?"

"We still have the cabin up north, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

"So, we need our mothers to send them on a brief road trip together." I grinned.

"I doubt that'll happen."

"You doubt Ma's deceitful behavior?"

"No, I don't doubt, but I doubt Nate and Patty would agree to it."

"Well, leave that part to me."

"Yeah, but when?"

"Hunting season is coming, so Ma can persuade Nate and Patty to get the cabin ready for Dad and our uncles."

"Sometimes, I wonder if you didn't get more of Ma's genes than our dad's."

"That makes me happy because Dad's scary."

"I'll never understand the issue with Nate, you, and Dad."

"It's simple. Nate's like Dad and Dad think I'm a screw-up." I shrugged and walked away.

*****

Patty

Did Nate want to kiss me? But he didn't because my brother was there, and I'm not eighteen! Unbelievable!

I paced my room while mumbling to myself in frustration. One minute, people tell me that Nate likes me, which is weird. Then he said that he wanted to kiss me but didn't.

One minute, he acts like I'm a pain in the ass, and the next, he's flirting with me. Hot and cold! Hot and cold! I tell you! Why can't a guy tell you that he likes you and ask you out? Is it that complicated?

I sat down on my bed in a huff. Why do I like a guy, and he makes my life miserable or gives me mixed signals? And people wonder why I don't date. Right here is a prime example.

I'll focus on school and work. At least, those are the two constants in my life without dealing with an emotional rollercoaster of liking someone.

Guys are so confusing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 14 35
The wheel's always turning. One day you'll be the happiest person in the world and everything goes perfectly but it can all change in an instant, how...
387K 8.6K 20
Mason's father wants him to be married on a woman he doesn't expect to marry. It's a business agreement. All his life, he always follows his dad's or...
122K 6.1K 51
The Gray Family has dealt with a lot through different generations throughout the years. They encountered some profound moments, finding love along t...
766 4 50
Between her alcoholic mother, depressed father, and traumatized little sister, Wren's life is falling apart, but her friends are there for her to hel...