1.1 ʟᴏᴠɪɴɢ ᴍᴀʏʜᴇᴍ | ✓

By luxiferase

[ featured @mystery @romance @dangerouslove ] Caprice del Fuego is the untouchable queen. She is rich, smart... More

0.0 | foreword
0.0 | preliminaries
0.75 | prologue
01 | the untouchable queen
02 | deal with the devil
03 | sleek deception
04 | the death god
05 | a lucky streak
06 | smoky intentions
07 | all or nothing
08 | law of judgment
09 | an eye for an eye
10 | a tooth for a tooth
11 | flight or fight
12 | modern day dating
13 | a golden glare
14 | dust of devils
15 | green is the color
16 | monsters under the bed
17 | claws of the past
18 | the first cut is the deepest
19 | everybody's a fool
20 | a morning delight
21 | the lord of beasts
22 | here's a quarter
23 | slice of fear
24 | in loving memory
25 | dangers of the faithless
26 | just the way you are
27 | one in a million
28 | a second look
29 | you and me vs the world
30 | partners in crime
31 | crossing the line
32 | truly white lies
33 | nameless, faceless
34 | fake it 'til you make it
35 | a crowning glory
36 | deck shuffle
37 | the eight-year scar
38 | sin of greed
39 | love of my life
40 | a million gray areas
41 | do or die
42 | the devil's circuit
43 | ghost of the past
44 | scars and sinners
45 | time-limited allies
46 | the faraway curse
47 | crossroad blues
48 | crimes and punishment
49 | truth is a killer
50 | all the world's a stage
51 | places of players
52 | a quick draw
54 | the first deceiver
55 | snake on grass
56 | taste like tears
57 | family circle
58 | for my soul
59 | out in the open
60 | a flightless raven
61 | the beloved marionette
62 | a cold case
63 | to dust and to gold

53 | the kids are alright

2.6K 163 73
By luxiferase

F I F T Y - T H R E E | the kids are alright—

C O L T

The rain continued pouring that I entered the pharmacy dripping wet. I ignored the odd looks, grabbed what I needed, and quickly dropped them on the counter. A bottle of water and a handful of antibiotics and painkillers and a pack of cigarettes.

I placed a crumpled bill that I had exchanged from the guys on the ship. The cashier took one look at my bloody face and worked fast. I snatched the bag from her and went back to the car that Bernard rented.

The old man started the car while I took the medicines. Bernard and I had made a deal that he'd bring me to where my father was in exchange for his life.

People like him had no sense of loyalty anyway. But in Bernard's case, it was more of reaching his limit. Alvarez was a rat. He clung to whoever could give the most profit. And Bernard was surely losing men left and right from trying to protect him.

But my mother didn't know that. She had sent me to him, thinking that Alvarez was decent enough to protect me from Paloma. But trash was trash no matter how nice you dressed them up. Not only did he threw me to the red general, but he had also taken the money that mother had left for me.

Bernard stopped the car across the hotel. "You ready?"

"Yeah."

We crossed the street together, ignoring the rain that pelted us. With Bernard's access, we managed to pass the hotel's security. Concerned looks were being exchanged as we rode the elevator but one glare from me and they ceased.

"You should have cleaned up a little," Bernard muttered.

"What difference does it make?" I answered at the same time the doors opened. The older man gestured towards the end of the hallway, one leg ready to bolt. I raised a brow that he sighed and accompanied me to the target room.

Bernard knocked. "Señor, it's me."

The door opened and Alvarez's face contorted into anger as he shouted. "Didn't I tell you to contact me when--Eleazar?"

I smirked, walking past the bodyguard to come face to face with my so-called father. I cocked the gun in my hand and smiled at him. "Buenos días, Señor."

"Is my job here done?" Bernard asked from behind me.

I shut the door to his face and gestured towards the leather armchair on the corner. Alvarez's fingers shook as he followed my silent orders. "That's right. Fear me. Como la pequeña rata que eres."

"What do you want?" he yelled, glaring at the gun that was pointed at him. "Your mother's money? It's all gone!"

"I know," I said, taking the seat before him. "But you have other means of income, don't you? Bernard wouldn't have stayed if you're broke."

The man leaned forward. He clasped his hands, hiding his trembling fingers. "You cannot get anything from me, hijo. Nada. Mi boca está cerrada."

The conviction in his voice surprised me. "Is that so?"

"Kill me."

I pondered over his actions for a minute. Alvarez wasn't the type to offer his life if he truly thought that there was a way out. Could it be... "Who is it? Who's the person you had latched on?"

Alvarez pressed his lips tight. Sweat rolled down from his hairline to the collar of his shirt.

"I have time," I said and opened the pack of cigarettes I bought earlier. I used the lighter on the glass table and lit one stick. Minutes passed by and my cigarette was almost out but he remained quiet.

I sighed and put out the cigarette on the ashtray. Before I could interrogate him further, the door to the right opened. The suite must have been a connecting room. I grinned at my luck. "Perfect."

"No!" Galahad yelled. He shot up from his seat and shielded my view of whoever walked out that door.

I smirked and shot at his feet once. He yelped, falling down on his knees as pathetic whimpers left his lips. "N-No! Por favor...!"

I couldn't believe it. The man who had managed to look Paloma in the eyes was begging at my feet. I raised my head towards the door, to finally see what kind of monster had reduced Alvarez into this wretched state.

"Grampa?"

The air was knocked out of my lungs at the sight of a small girl. Her hand curled around the doorknob as she peered at her grandfather's slumped form.

"Ridiculous," I mumbled under my breath. I willed my voice to stay even as I smiled at the girl, coaxing her to come forward with my free hand. "Little girl, your grandfather is calling for you. I think he's hurt."

"What?" Her eyes lit up as she stepped inside the room.

"No, Sara! Stop!" Alvarez screamed, making the child flinch. He clutched at my pants. "Do not touch her, Eleazar!"

"I need my money! Get it from your boss or I blow her head off," I demanded, training the gun at the girl. I bit the inside of my cheek as my eyes began to burn in anger. "Tell me!"

"I cannot! They will come for them if I do!" He cried out, tears falling down his wrinkled face. "She's just a child! Por favor! Te lo ruego!"

An unexplainable ache in my chest made me wince. "How about me?"

Alvarez looked up in confusion. "W-what?"

"I was a child too," I spat out. "But that didn't stop you from selling me!"

"I'm... I was not thinking. I only---"

"Shut up!" Rage and pain swirled inside me, begging to be let out. I picked up the ashtray and threw it at the wall. The crash made the girl cry that Alvarez hurriedly soothed her.

Lucky child! At least you won't die alone.

I gripped the gun tighter, my finger was a millimeter away from the trigger. My fury blazed brighter and hotter and the only way the storm would be quelled was to hit it at the source.

Don't.

My mother's voice shook me out of my trance. I blinked, hitting the gun's barrel against my forehead. What the fuck was I doing?

Coming back here was a mistake.

I hid my gun and exited the room without looking back. The horrified stares continued shooting in my direction but I disregarded them. 

I crossed the street, gaining the ire of several drivers as they repeatedly honked their vehicles. My sole thought was on escape and my body moved on its own. I couldn't remember how I got back to the port but finally, air rushed back to my lungs.

I could breathe again.

I stayed on the starboard side, hiding between the stacks of cargo containers. A relieved sigh left my mouth as the ship slowly left the city.

My phone rang. I took it out only to realize that the phone belonged to Bernard. I had confiscated it from him in case he would contact my father.

To my surprise, Alvarez's name flashed on the screen.

"Eleazar?" His voice shook as he whispered my name.

"What? I won't apologize if that's what you want." I sneered. The bitter taste in my throat returned as I remembered the way he had held his granddaughter. I never thought that a selfish man like him would be capable of love.

But he was.

And unfortunately, that kindness didn't extend to me.

My fingers itched again. I wanted to wrap my hands around his neck and watch as the light dimmed from his eyes. No. Too easy. I would pluck out his eyes first and--

Shit. I shut my eyes and took another deep breath.

I really need to go home and see Caprice. She's the only one capable to stop these violent thoughts. I need her warmth, her touch. Everything.

"If you're looking for Bernard--"

"No. I--It's me... that wants to apologize."

"Is this your idea of a joke? Esto no es gracioso."

"It is not, Eleazar. I will tell you what you want to know." He let out a long sigh as his voice became steady. Determination colored his voice. "I do not know how they found out about our relationship but... two people approached me because of you."

I frowned. "What?"

"The first one was a foreign woman. Her name is Katya Udinov. I told her that I do not know where to find you. A week after that... the chairwoman of SM Conglomerate offered me her own deal. That is... that you would marry her granddaughter." Alvarez paused as profanities flew from my mouth in a rapid burst. "SM is very rich and of course... I was tempted. I agreed to her condition without your consent and I worked with Katya to figure out where you are. She told me she'd convince you to marry. I placed my faith in her. In return, she would send me millions every month."

"To make it short... you sold me again? Is that right?" I scoffed, fingers closing tighter on the phone. "You really are trash."

"Perdón, hijo. You know me. I just want a better life." He sighed. "Be careful. Katya was the one who informed me of your arrival. I convinced her that I would handle you but I failed. She might take matters into her own hand now."

"What does this Katya want with me?"

"I do not know that. Her motives are unclear even to me."

"Okay. Last question," I mumbled. "Who is the person I'm supposed to marry?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.2K 3.2K 86
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 | 𝐌𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 It's all fun and games until someone suggests killing each other's spouses for revenge. M...
34.1K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...
11.6K 2.6K 88
"Getting closer to me is like walking straight into the flames of a burning building." "Then burn me." I interrupted, staring deep into her eyes. "En...
429 35 33
Camila is a smart, pretty, and wealthy girl and people either adore her, hate her, or envy her. Her father, a gold digger of a step mother, and step...