1.1 ʟᴏᴠɪɴɢ ᴍᴀʏʜᴇᴍ | ✓

By luxiferase

[ featured @mystery @romance @dangerouslove ] Caprice del Fuego is the untouchable queen. She is rich, smart... More

0.0 | foreword
0.0 | preliminaries
0.75 | prologue
01 | the untouchable queen
02 | deal with the devil
03 | sleek deception
04 | the death god
05 | a lucky streak
06 | smoky intentions
07 | all or nothing
08 | law of judgment
09 | an eye for an eye
10 | a tooth for a tooth
11 | flight or fight
12 | modern day dating
13 | a golden glare
14 | dust of devils
15 | green is the color
16 | monsters under the bed
17 | claws of the past
18 | the first cut is the deepest
19 | everybody's a fool
20 | a morning delight
21 | the lord of beasts
22 | here's a quarter
23 | slice of fear
24 | in loving memory
25 | dangers of the faithless
26 | just the way you are
27 | one in a million
28 | a second look
29 | you and me vs the world
30 | partners in crime
32 | truly white lies
33 | nameless, faceless
34 | fake it 'til you make it
35 | a crowning glory
36 | deck shuffle
37 | the eight-year scar
38 | sin of greed
39 | love of my life
40 | a million gray areas
41 | do or die
42 | the devil's circuit
43 | ghost of the past
44 | scars and sinners
45 | time-limited allies
46 | the faraway curse
47 | crossroad blues
48 | crimes and punishment
49 | truth is a killer
50 | all the world's a stage
51 | places of players
52 | a quick draw
53 | the kids are alright
54 | the first deceiver
55 | snake on grass
56 | taste like tears
57 | family circle
58 | for my soul
59 | out in the open
60 | a flightless raven
61 | the beloved marionette
62 | a cold case
63 | to dust and to gold

31 | crossing the line

3K 183 118
By luxiferase

T H I R T Y - O N E | crossing the line

A C R Y L I C

My agenda was clear.

Approach Dad and tell him that I would fight in Philly. The prize would be worth it. If I win...

But I stopped in my tracks as I glimpsed at my father's weary face. His forehead knitted while he read the papers in front of him.

I knocked on the door. It startled him. He hid the papers and looked at me. "AC, do you need anything?"

"Is that bills?" I asked instead. There's no way I would be shameless enough to ask for money now.

"Yeah. Don't worry. I took care of it." He smiled and it only made me guiltier.

For a second, I thought of pursuing a different career. Maybe I could help him more. But the thought of leaving the gym caused an ache in my chest.

Dad was a sports trainer. And since my mother died when I was young, he had no choice but to bring me to work. I hadn't understood at first but as time went by, the gym had become my home.

I loved everything about it. The lights, the sounds, the smell. It was heaven.

Eventually, I had become a fighter. And I was great at it. Once, I even thought that I was destined for it. Like I could conquer the world.

But Colt had shattered my dreams.

Just like that.

Here appeared a man with no proper training, no refined technique. Nothing but pure talent.

"AC, what is it?" Dad questioned when I fell silent.

"Nothing, Dad. Just wanted to check on you," I muttered. "Don't stay up late."

I turned to the exit when he called for me again.

"Please don't tell Colt about this, alright? I'll discuss it with him myself."

I clenched my jaw as the pangs of envy grabbed me. "So, I'm not allowed to worry but Colt can? Am I little kid to you that you need to hide your problems from me?"

"AC, it's not like that." He let out a deep sigh, pushing the silver hair off his face.

"Is it because he brings more money?"

"Acrylic enough!" Dad crossed his arms as he admonished me. "Where is this jealousy coming from? I treat you the same."

"You don't!" I yelled as dismay flitted over Dad's face. I bit back the rest of my words and exited his office. It's better than exchanging more heated words with him.

I walked around the streets with my head on the clouds.

I admit that Dad didn't have special treatment between Colt and me. It was just me. I felt incompetent. Colt and I were the same age but he had more.

More money. More friends. More talent.

Caprice.

Fuck.

As if my prayers were answered, Eli passed by. He had a resolute expression that I became curious. Eli was a bubbly kid who was foreign to the word 'serious'.

I followed him.

His actions were much faster now. Eli scanned his surroundings, from left to right before he ducked into a dark alley.

I ran after him as the sun completely set.

"Eli!"

He whirled around with wide blue eyes. "Wha...! AC?"

"What are you doing here?" I asked. I roamed my eyes and realized that we were behind an old and dilapidated warehouse.

The slabs of plywood were sliding off the wall. The paint was chipped and there was a repulsive stench of urine and cigarette.

"Eli, are you in trouble?"

He shook his head, too fast for my taste. "I'm fine!"

Eli turned away from me to enter the bar. I yanked him back that something fell from his jacket.

A pack of white powder.

"Shit." Eli knelt. He picked it up and it spilled on the dark street.

I remained speechless. Dad had repeatedly reminded me to stay away from drugs. To never think about it.

I tried to help him but Eli had it under control. "Is that cocaine?"

"I'm sorry. But you should go."

"How much is it?"

Shit. What was I saying?

Eli seemed to understand where I was coming from. "A hundred grams. That's about $10,000."

"What?"

"I need to repack it so..."

"Are you not worried at all?"

Eli's grip on the package tightened. "I have to do this. I don't have a choice."

"Can you—"

"No, man! You can't involve with this."

He stood up and headed straight to the door. My brain stopped working as I trailed after him.

Inside was nothing like I expected. It was a decent looking bar despite the minuscule lights that scattered all over the place. I could barely see anything.

"Eli!" I whispered harshly.

He shot me a glare. "Why are you still following me?"

"I... well, I need money."

"Stop it! You don't know what you're talking about!" Eli mumbled. His voice was lower as he pushed me back.

"I just told you I need money."

Eli scratched at his curly hair. "Damn it. Wait outside."

"You better—"

The kid closed the door on me. The loud bang brought me back to my senses. Fuck.

I paced in front of the back door and weighed the pros and cons.

The pros won.

Whatever. When the money's here, I was certain that everything would get easier.

When Eli came back, he gave me short and precise instructions. He gave ten sachets containing a gram of cocaine.

"Sell that," Eli commanded. He looked so much older now. "If you get caught, we're both dead. Remember that."

Weeks passed and it was getting easier to identify people who would buy. They have that distinctive look. A look between urgency and desperation.

A woman dragged me to the side, away from the pack of dancing bodies. She handed me a folded dollar bill and I leaned in to kiss her cheek while inserting the small packet inside her shorts' pocket.

She smiled sweetly and I nodded.

I looked at my phone and saw Eli's message for me to wait outside.

Weird.

We really don't meet unless we passed each other in the gym.

It must be important.

I exited the bar. Eli wasn't around so I roamed the place. The streetlights flickered as people hang out in pairs and groups.

In the back.

I frowned at his message but followed his instructions anyway. Eli knew the business better. I had my hesitations with him at first but the steady supply of money caused me to throw caution to the wind.

I didn't have to worry Dad anymore. There's was no need to ask for money and feel that green-eyed monster again.

I reached the back and the empty place alerted my senses. Something's wrong.

Then, someone hit me.

I fell on my knees at the sudden pain. I tried to turn around but my attacker kick at my face.

I groaned at the impact, blinking repeatedly to get a glimpse.

"What the hell!" I heard him say.

The stranger yanked me by the collar of my shirt, shoving me to the wall. I managed to clear the pain away that my vision cleared.

"Maky?" I muttered in disbelief.

Maky staggered backward. "You've got to be kidding me."

ahhh i managed to update. T_T

Don't forget to vote if you like this. :)

p.s. : tell me who are your favorite characters too. It would always be Indy for me. *winks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 8.9K 60
Callista Genovese never wanted to be part of the family business. She enjoyed the anonymity of being a teacher in a land where she was not the killer...
291K 17.2K 20
My eyes open again when he pulls his thumb out of my mouth. I was staring at Thaddeus, wondering if he felt what I had felt. His gaze gave him away...
641K 21.3K 64
❝I want to worship you like a queen. Every fucking day. And use you like my little slut. Every fucking night. Together, we can set the world on fire...
302K 10.3K 50
Featured by @KatyDreams for THE BEST ROMANCE BOOKS 4. PUBLISHED. READ THE WHOLE BOOK ON AMAZON : https://amzn.to/2F93mJr THE FICTION AWARDS 2017 Wi...