1.1 ʟᴏᴠɪɴɢ ᴍᴀʏʜᴇᴍ | ✓

By luxiferase

[ featured @mystery @romance @dangerouslove ] Caprice del Fuego is the untouchable queen. She is rich, smart... More

0.0 | foreword
0.0 | preliminaries
0.75 | prologue
01 | the untouchable queen
02 | deal with the devil
03 | sleek deception
04 | the death god
05 | a lucky streak
06 | smoky intentions
07 | all or nothing
08 | law of judgment
09 | an eye for an eye
10 | a tooth for a tooth
11 | flight or fight
12 | modern day dating
13 | a golden glare
14 | dust of devils
15 | green is the color
16 | monsters under the bed
17 | claws of the past
18 | the first cut is the deepest
19 | everybody's a fool
20 | a morning delight
21 | the lord of beasts
22 | here's a quarter
23 | slice of fear
24 | in loving memory
26 | just the way you are
27 | one in a million
28 | a second look
29 | you and me vs the world
30 | partners in crime
31 | crossing the line
32 | truly white lies
33 | nameless, faceless
34 | fake it 'til you make it
35 | a crowning glory
36 | deck shuffle
37 | the eight-year scar
38 | sin of greed
39 | love of my life
40 | a million gray areas
41 | do or die
42 | the devil's circuit
43 | ghost of the past
44 | scars and sinners
45 | time-limited allies
46 | the faraway curse
47 | crossroad blues
48 | crimes and punishment
49 | truth is a killer
50 | all the world's a stage
51 | places of players
52 | a quick draw
53 | the kids are alright
54 | the first deceiver
55 | snake on grass
56 | taste like tears
57 | family circle
58 | for my soul
59 | out in the open
60 | a flightless raven
61 | the beloved marionette
62 | a cold case
63 | to dust and to gold

25 | dangers of the faithless

3.6K 189 139
By luxiferase

T W E N T Y - F I V E | dangers of the faithless—

C A P R I C E

There had been times where I gave in to my feelings. But all I got was punishment and the harsh realization that my grandmother would always be right. After what happened with Aeon, I had promised not to stray from the path that Abuela had set for me.

It used to be so easy.

Yet now, there were too many people I had to protect myself from. Their honesty and kindness had caught me off guard. It left me open to Colt and Acrylic's lies.

And the bastard had the audacity to say 'Making mistakes doesn't mean you're less of a person'. Tch. All he did was put my mind into turmoil.

After I took a bath and changed into another shirt and jeans. I went down to get breakfast, taking the opportunity to eat much healthier food aside from cup noodles. The hotel would provide us with a buffet for breakfast and dinner. Lunch was optional.

Then, I went to the auditorium where the last forum would be held. The topic started when Colt dumped his ass beside me. He was eating bacon strips. Every crunch made my mouth water.

"Where did you get that?" I asked, my fingers gripping the pen I used to write down my notes.

He held one to me, clutching the pack to his chest. "You want some?"

I was about to snatch the strip off him but he held it back. I clicked my tongue. "Really?"

"Say please," he said.

I twisted to face him. "Do you forget who you're talking to?"

"Oh, sorry boss." He looked amused as he conceded.

We ate in silence as the speaker continued. I thought that was that but he ended the topic with an assignment. To create a marketing strategy for your chosen location in Hexwood.

I scoffed. It was an old tactic of surveying what customers want. No wonder they offered a free pass to their various amenities.

"What are you going to do?" Colt asked, piercing me with his ardent gaze.

I cleared my throat. "Say, why did Sonny target that horse ranch again? What qualifications does a business need to have for a syndicate to consider buying it?"

"Cheap, obscure, small. Those that are hard to trace when push comes to shove."

I smirked, "Ah, then that ranch is probably close to bankruptcy."

"Shouldn't we ask the owner that?" he mumbled.

"No need. The stables contained two rows with five compartments on each side but the old horse was put on the first row. I asked and they said the arrangement of horses is based on age. The youngest horse is at age twelve. That already tells you a lot."

"You noticed that?"

"Of course. I observe. Unlike you—"

"Right. You know I only notice you."

"If I recall correctly, you were looking at the horses."

"Ah, yes. You met your rival."

I couldn't stop my chuckles that I hated myself for a second. I crushed the packet of bacon we had eaten and stood up. "Let's just go."

We were back on the horse ranch but this time, I dragged Colt on the edge of the field where people could ride the horses. It was the most popular activity in the ranch that there were customers, mostly families, that flocked near the pens.

"You go," I commanded, wrinkling my nose as the kids' excitement in feeding the horses hovered in the air.

He shot me a bewildered look. "What? How about you?"

"Go and try everything here," I said. "And tell me how's the experience so I know what kind of marketing strategy I'll make."

"You can't do that." Colt shook his head in disagreement. "You're gonna advertise something you haven't even tried yet?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "So? What do you even know about marketing?"

"Nothing," he answered. "But it sounds like a fraud."

"Oh, so you're into honesty now?" I crossed my arms, shooting him a nasty glare. "That's funny."

Colt let out a deep sigh. He roamed his gaze around our surroundings as he clicked his tongue to stop his rebuttal. His effort painted a smile on my face.

"Fine." He blurted as he marched towards a ranch employee. He chatted with the uniformed guy and they dragged the horse towards me.

I stepped back immediately. "Woah. What are you doing?"

"You're gonna try or I'll call you a coward," he announced while he rubbed at the brown thoroughbred's neck.

"Hey!" I shrieked that the horse flicked its tail. I jumped in surprise, grabbing Colt's arm in reflex.

"Come on, boss." He shot me a smirk. "You're not a coward, are you?"

The sing-song way he said it raised my irritation to its highest level. I reluctantly stepped forward, setting my hand next to the worn-out saddle. I had read too many books on riding a horse. I could do this.

"Okay. Good horse," I muttered. I placed my left foot on the stirrup and inhaled deeply.

I pulled myself up when the horse moved. I freaked out and turned. I lost my balance, heading straight into Colt's arms.

Shit.

His sturdy arms wrapped around my body that my feet weren't even touching the soil. I flushed at our proximity though I was more thankful that he couldn't see my face.

I let my heartbeat settle, morphing my expression into indifference before I unlinked my arms around his neck.

I licked my lips, stepping away from him.

"You okay?"

There was no judgment on his face at all. But I felt humiliation nonetheless. Shame caused my defenses to shoot up even if the 'thanks' was already on my tongue. "This wouldn't happen if you didn't push me to do it!"

Colt obsidian eyes narrowed at me. "I didn't know you would stop after one try." He sighed and mounted the horse in one swift move.

His dismay over my actions sent my heart into clamor.

Colt talked with the employee as I remained rooted to the spot. I didn't like what he said. I wasn't a quitter. No way.

He straightened and addressed me again. "Are you sure you're gonna stay here?"

Our eyes met. With the few weeks I had known him, I could already recognize the challenge burning in his eyes.

I fastened my teeth over my bottom lip. The desire to prove him wrong flickered inside my chest. But my brain told me how dangerous it was. To be closer to him was lethal.

Then, Colt held out his hand.

And I felt the fight left my body.

I took his hand and pulled myself up.

"You better slow down." The threat in my voice wasn't delivered as well as I thought. I kept imagining scenarios where I end up with broken bones. "Colt, I swear!"

"I heard you," he replied. His head spun to me. "Come on. Don't be shy. Put your hands around me."

I rolled my eyes and clutched both sides of his shirt.

Colt yanked my arms and positioned it near his stomach. He locked my arms together that my face pressed against his shoulders. He smelled utterly male that my cheeks heat up.

I put some distance between us but his huge palm closed over my hands. "Stop. Just close your eyes and feel it."

Feel, huh?

Colt urged the horse to move. My brain ticked loudly. I willed myself to ignore all the warning signs and followed Colt's advice. I shut my eyes as the horse started running.

There was a pull at the pit of my stomach but I ignored it. I let the air rush against my ears and embraced Colt tighter. It was the same feeling I had when we were running.

Free and damn addictive.

I get it now why people chase danger and do stupid things like jump off the cliff.

Something was enticing in the unknown.

The horse stopped and Colt tapped my arm. I opened my eyes to the blinding light reflected in a waterfall. It was a small one, about five feet high that flowed from mossy rocks and into a deep basin. Green plants and shrubs surrounded the water body that also provided shade.

Colt came down first, holding his hand out for me. "I ask the caretaker where to find a good spot."

"Good spot?" I took his hand and jumped down from the horse. "For murder?"

Colt shook his head and tied the horse to a nearby tree. I observed him for a few moments before clearing my throat. "You know I was kidding, right?" I added, wincing a bit at the bad joke.

"What makes you think I wasn't planning on doing just that." He started trekking the grassy path. Colt stopped near the edge of the water and sat down on the rocky bed.

"Yeah. That's a bad joke." I followed him and saw that he was taking off his shoes. "Please tell me you're not going to swim."

"Why else would I take you here?"

I sat next to him which wasn't very comfortable with all the uneven rock sizes. "I'll just watch you."

"That's creepier," he muttered and I detected the hint of a smile on his words.

"We're doing this for the project, you know."

He stood up. Colt pulled off his shirt and I looked away at the free strip show. "Aw, boss. Feel free to stare. I don't mind."

"Are you going to keep calling me that?" I mumbled instead.

"Yes. It fits you." He walked towards the water in just his black boxer shorts. The tight cloth highlighted his sizable assets, making me spit out a colorful curse. He turned to me. "What?"

Colt stood like a Greek god as he let the sun rays washed over his golden skin. I raked my eyes from the Latin words on his collarbone down to his defined abs, tapered waist, and thick thighs. I might have licked my lips or something because Colt laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "I've seen better."

"Huh." He went to the deepest part near the waterfall. Colt wet his hair before his head disappeared under the clear water.

I pulled my knees up and let myself enjoy the quiet scenery. Birds were chirping and the soft breeze caressed my cheeks. It had been a long time since my head was this silent.

Drops of water flicked over to me and Colt arched an eyebrow.

"No." I threw my head back, disregarding his ferocious stare. He sent another wave the soaked my face and arm. "Oh, you jerk!"

"It wasn't me."

I chuckled and stretched my legs. I wore a yellow blouse that had a flutter sleeve and a deep V-neck paired with skinny jeans. I was beginning to feel hot and the dark blue water was tempting. "You just want to see me naked."

Colt laughed in a rich tone. "I won't deny that."

I narrowed my eyes at him. He had been prodding at me since I told him I hated him. And my insults never seemed to bother him. I wasn't so sure what to feel about him anymore.

But it certainly wouldn't hurt to play with such an attractive male specimen.

"Okay." I stood up and yanked my dress off leaving me in my peach underwear. His stare didn't leave me even as I padded over to him. The water reached just above my breast, cooling the rest of my body.

He smirked at me. "That didn't take a lot of convincing."

I shrugged. "I was just playing hard to get."

I scrutinized him longer to pinpoint what exactly changed between us. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Always keep your cool." I scooped a handful of water to wet the rest of my hair. Colt propped himself near the waterfall, his back against the stack of rocks. "I realize that you have been patient with me."

"Hmm." He folded his arms as a pensive look settled on his handsome face. "It was my fault. I admit that. So you have all the right to be angry. I deserved all of your scathing words and nasty jeers."

I flicked my wet hair over my shoulders. Usually, people have been patient with me because of my name or the fact that I ranked higher than them. Indy was always patient but I owe it to the fact that we knew each other since childhood while the rest of my friends would never dare to reprimand me.

I had never met someone who would take my insults with so much ease without knowing who I was. Did he want me that much?

"Is that so?" I swam closer to him. We were face to face that I could see the drops of water that slid down his nose and lashes. "Do you want to get in my pants that badly?"

"You're wrong." Colt snaked an arm around my waist, yanking me to his solid body. He exuded warmth despite the cool water that we were submerged in.

"What then?" I asked, placing my hands on his chest.

"You're awesome," he declared, locking his eyes with mine. "You don't get fazed by anything or anyone. It annoyed me at first how easy it was for you to challenge or ignore me. But then, I thought... that maybe, that's how it is when you know your worth."

I gaped at him as my heart thudded in fear and something else I didn't want to name.

"You know that you have value so you don't let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do. Or let them question your decisions and dictate your life."

"You-you think I'm like that?" His words brought a lump to my throat. It made my eyes sting. And the bigger part of me wanted to prove him right. That I was indeed in control of my life.

"Yes." Colt brought up a hand, clearing the wet strands off my face. "I am in awe of you, Caprice."

Thank you for reading! As always, I appreciate any comments!

Don't forget to vote if you like this chapter!

PS. I watched Kuroko no Basuke: Last Game in theaters. My baby Aomine Daiki is so hot (and lowkey Kise too). <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

504K 8K 15
━𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐅𝐈𝐀 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐎 ❛They call you the temptress of the night. A woman trained to kill; a weapon equi...
540 200 21
A team of enforcers. A gang of criminals. One common enemy. Against all expectations, a young woman enlisted as an enforcer, following in the footste...
299K 7.9K 42
She's troublesome. He lives for trouble. Both embedded with their own secrets and lies. A girl who's self-destruction leads her to a camp for delinqu...