Expiration date (Editing...Ag...

By Brittanymaree01

It is my absolute pleasure and honour to dedicate this whole book to my hero, Jess Ainscough. This powerful... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter ten.
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty~extra chapter

Chapter nine

454 6 3
By Brittanymaree01

~Edited Chapter~ 

....

Easter break was looming. Jet and Rose’s relationship was accelerating at a tremendous rate. Jet was falling in love with Rose but she was already there. She loved him as much as one could love another. The guilt she felt for letting Jet into her decaying life was becoming a distant memory. No other guy had made her feel the way Jet made her feel. She needed to be around him. Every time he left her even if it was only for a night, she felt sick and frail. She felt like a cancer victim should. She wanted him to stay the night but was afraid to ask. She didn’t want to be the clingy girlfriend. She had done that once before and it didn’t work out well.

Jet often lay awake at night wishing he had the warmth of Rose next to him. He was scared of his feelings for Rose, because they were so strong. He had never experienced such feelings even when he had been with other girls. He didn’t love them, but what he had with Rose was different. It was mature, real, and passionate. What he and Rose shared was everything thing that Jet didn’t know he wanted. She cared for him and loved him in such a way that let Jet know that he was Rose’s one desire. She couldn’t physically protect him but she would without question if she could.

Most of the time that Jet and Rose spent together was spent on The Hill. It held history for them, but it was also a place where Rose allowed herself to remember her life pre cancer. Rose used to meet her friends her and do all sorts of innocent things. The memories didn’t leave lasting sadness in Rose’s hearth, though, because she was happy that they happened.

Jet and Rose made their own fresh memories on The Hill. The hours they spent on that hill were filled with laughter, love, long talks, longing stares, and earth shaking brushes of the elbows. Rose loved any day or moment spent with Jet but those times spent on The Hill were extra special. She couldn’t explain it any other way than that she felt like she was untouchable on that hill, and if anyone or anything tried to ruin her time Jet wouldn’t allow it. Rose was complete safe on that hill, and was able to open up to Jet to a level she rarely did back in the real world.

“You’re like an angel.” Jet whispered. He had been watching Rose while she lay on her back with her striking blue eyes hidden under their lids. Rose’s lips pulled up at the edges as she opened her eyes to peer up at Jet. The sun was at full peek so she needed to shield her eyes with he hands. Jet glanced at the strip of stomach that her shirt showed before carefully pulling it back down.

“You’re so random.” A slight blush touched Rose’s cheeks and neck. Without meaning, Jet leant in closer.

“Yeah. But I meant it.” Jet shrugged and rolled onto his back. Silence falls around them. Birds sung, wind rustled the million leaves in the trees, the sun beamed down on the small town, and the distant noise of Fern Grove lingered in the air.

"Well, You're no saint…" Rose teased, breaking the silence. Jet pretended to look hurt.

"Oh. You will regret saying that." Jet said. Rose squealed as she got to her feet and ran away from Jet laughing. He chased her down the hill but it was a little wet from the night before. Jet lost his footing and fell on his backside. Rose turned around at the sound and screamed with laughter when she found him lying on the ground. She walked back up to Jet and lay down next to him.

"Silly boy." Rose giggled before slipping her hand into his. Rose planted a kiss on his lips, but Jet moved a hand to the middle of her back. Locking her in close to him. He caught her gaze before kissing her again. This time the kiss was deep and intense. Rose was the one to pull back this time. Her breathing was laboured and her lips tingled.

Jet looked over at Rose and was oddly taken back by her beauty. Her eyes were close and her lips were slightly open and pink from the kiss. Beside her heaving chest she looked so carefree and peaceful. Though he knew there was evil growing inside of her, slowly sucking everything good about her. Soon he wouldn’t be able to kiss her like he wanted to, he wouldn’t be able bring her up to The Hill, he wouldn’t be able to see the life in her eyes. The Rose he was falling for would slowly fade in front of his eyes. So he vowed to give her the best time he could while she was able to experience it.

“I understand you want this to be a surprise but…did you have to blind fold me?” Rose laughed. Jet bit his lip, thinking about how cute she looked with her mouth slightly open.

“Just a little further.” Jet chuckled. Rose could hear swoosh sounds and kids screaming. She frowned beneath her scarf, unsure what Jet was leading her into.

“Where are we?” she giggled. Jet made her stop then stepped in front of her. He lent close and Rose’s heart reacted to the proximity.

Jet reached around and gently undid the scarf from around her head and let it fall down her face. Rose kept her eyes closed and Jet let himself admire her full lips, her long lashes, her glowing red cheeks, and her cute, button nose. Jet leaned in and lightly pressed his lips to hers. Rose kissed him back but before it got to passionate Jet pulled back, leaving Rose wanting more.

She sighed, her mood falling a little bit. Rose opened her eyes. At first she only saw Jet’s green eyes. Her heart raced in her chest at the affection she found there. When she could bring herself to look away to take in her surroundings a smile lit up her face.

“I forgot the carnival was on this weekend.” Rose laughed and turned Jet to face the colourful array of lights. He had been watching her and she had become a little self-conscious. Jet kissed her temple. “So here we are,” Rose laughed, then turned to face Jet and crushed her lips to his. Jet was taken by surprise and again he didn’t let the kiss last long.

Rose bit her tongue and tried to swallow her anger. Jet took her hand and ignored the pouty look on her face. “Can you run?” he asked gently. Rose rolled her eyes and took off as fast as she could. It wasn’t fast and Jet caught up within a matter of steps. Rose laughed out loud, a sound that Jet loved, and tried to run faster.

Suddenly she found it hard to breath and came to a halt. Jet noticed a change and stopped just after Rose. She was puffing loudly, it didn’t help that she started to cry. They were right on the edge of the carnival now and people were looking. Jet didn’t care though. He walked up to Rose and wrapped his strong arms around her. She got emotional at times when she couldn’t do something she wish she could or something she used to be able to do, like run. Jet had picked this up without Rose voicing it.

“I’m sorry.” Rose sobbed into Jet’s chest. Jet hushed her and rubbed her bony back. Fear struck him but he swallowed it back, it had no place in his life at the moment. Jet hadn’t felt fear for years until the day he started to fall for Rose.

“Don’t be. It’s ok.” Jet murmured and kissed Rose’s head. She smelt like strawberries. Rose nodded and pulled back a little. Jet wiped away her tears. “Do you want to leave?” he asked. Rose’s eye widened. She shook her head.

“No, I want to stay. I want to kiss you on the Ferris wheel, like in a cheesy movie,” Rose’s cheeks turned red. “I want to kick your ass in the stall games.” She laughed. Jet smiled down at her warmly. He was worried about her, obviously. Usually when she had her breakdowns it was because she was feeling the effects of the cancer more than other days. Jet hesitantly nodded after studying her expression.

“Ok, lets do this. We’ll do those games first.” Jet and Rose walked, hand in hand, further into the carnival. Kids ran everywhere and adults looked slightly pained. Rose seemed to know her way around so Jet happily followed her. They reached the game stalls and Jet spotted the basketball stall. A smile lit his face and he pulled Rose over to the stall.

“Hello there, care for a game of hoops?” The man cheered. Rose smiled broadly. Jet nodded.

“Two please,” Jet handed the man ten dollars and got five dollars change. He turned to Rose. “If I loose I’ll pay for dinner.” He told her, and she laughed.

“Ok. And if you win?” she asked. Jet gave her a wicked grin, just at the sigh Rose’s heart launched. She couldn’t believe, once again, that this guy had looked past her cancer and her flaws. Rose couldn’t believe it but she was glad.

“I’ll pay for dinner.” Rose laughed again but didn’t protest. The man handed them both a basketball. Jet let Rose have the first shot. Not surprisingly she missed. Then the next two goes she missed as well. Rose sighed and rubbed her elbow. The chilly wind was blowing right through her cardigan, and adding to the stiffness of her elbow. Jet took his turn and got all three in.

“You’re good.” Rose called, her smile lit up her face like a bulb lit up a dark room.

“Damn it, now I have to pay.” Jet winked at her. He went to turn but Rose stopped him. She was standing closer than necessary, but she couldn’t care less.

“You have to get your prize silly.” Rose teased and Jet’s eyebrows rose. Why on earth would I want a fluffy toy? He asked himself. His eye fell on Rose she was pointing out all the toys he could get.

“…Or there’s that cute bunny, you can get that one or…” Jet smiled and watched her. She was totally oblivious to his gaze. She just kept chattering away about the toys. That was the moment he knew. Jet had fallen in love with Rose. He didn’t know how he comprehended it; all he knew was that he would do anything for this girl in front of him. He would risk his life for her. Rose stopped talking and looked up at Jet. He knew that she loved elephants, so he asked the man for the big purple one. Jet took it from the man and handed it to Rose. He felt it was corny, but it made her happy so he didn’t care. Rose giggled and hugged it tightly, looking like a small child. They waved goodbye to the man and walked off. Jet draped his arm protectively over Rose’s small shoulders. They walked slowly, taking in every light and every toy, people looked their way but neither noticed nor did they care. Rose looked up at Jet and studied him. Jet felt her gaze on his and looked down into her eyes.

“What?” he smiled. Rose flushed and reached up to give him a quick kiss.

“Thank you for the elephant. I can’t believe you remembered.” She looked down at her new toy and smiled.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just picked out the first toy my eyes settled on.” Rose looked back up at Jet and narrowed her eyes playfully.

“You’re lying,” She said finally. She looked away, her eyes settled on a food stand. They sold fairy-floss. Jet followed her gaze and shook his head. She knew that sugar wasn’t good for cancer patients but she really didn’t care anymore.

“You’re like a little kid.” Jet laughed, but steered her over to the stand anyway.

“I’m making sure you do everything there is to do at a carnival.” Rose told him and shivered as a small gust of cool wind brew right threw her. Jet looked down at her, seeing goose bumps clearly standing out on her neck. Being the gentleman that he usually wasn’t, he quickly slipped out of his leather jacket and hung it from Rose’s shoulders. She smiled up at Jet, hitched at the jacket and took in the warmth it offered. She loved the smell of his deodorant and the faint smell of leather.

“Thanks.” Rose bit her lip and slipped her hand into Jets.

They sat down and ate the fairy-floss. Jet had a mouthful and made it clear he thought it tasted too pink. Rose laughed out loud.

“How can it taste to pink?” she asked. She bumped her shoulder into Jet’s upper arm. Jet shrugged.

“Don’t know, it’s pink and really sweet so I guess you could say it taste really pink.” He told her and his eyes focused in a small piece of floss on the tip of her button nose.

“What?” she asked. Jet smiled and cupped her face. He lent in and lightly sucked the tip of her nose. Rose giggled and pushed at his chest playfully with her free hand. She tried to keep her cool but her heart was flipping and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

“Yum.” He licked his lips then watched as Rose’s cheeks burned red. She had recovered only to have her cheeks turn pink again.

“Did that taste good?” Rose asked and wiped her nose.

Jet nodded. “Delicious.” His low voice thrilled Rose. He lent in to kiss her but she casually turned her head and continued to pick at her fairy-floss. She wanted to kiss him but when it got good he pulled away. Jet frowned at her. Rose knew she was fragile but the urge to kiss Jet, like, really kiss him was growing strong. They had been ‘going steady’ for four weeks now and Rose was loosing her patience.

“It’s getting late. Do you wanna’ go on the Ferris wheel then get some dinner?” Jet asked. Rose nodded and looked back up at Jet. She held the fairy-floss up to him.

“If you eat the last of this.” She bargained with him, for fun. Jet chuckled, shaking his head. His eyes mirrored Roses, alight with playfulness.

“You’re very cute, but I’m not eating any more of that stuff.” Jet told her lightly and got to his feet. Rose giggled and joined him.

“You just wait until I turn on my full rathe for cuteness Mr, you wont know what to do with yourself.” Rose said then walked off. She put a little swish into her step. Jet ran his hands through his hair.

She was killing him.

Jet was holding back from kissing her like he wanted to. He didn’t want to hurt her. Jet knew that if he didn’t muster up all of his control he wouldn’t be able to stop himself, and Jet didn’t believe that Rose deserved to be treated like that. Just as his mum didn’t deserve to be treated that way she had by her ex boyfriends.

“Hey, wait up.” Jet called and quickly caught up to her. Out of chivalry he didn’t make a comment on how sexy she looked.

Before Jet knew it Rose had led him right to the Ferris wheel. Looking up at the giant circle with lights, Jet chuckled low in his throat. Rose smiled broadly up at Jet then turned her attention back to the gigantic wheel of lights. Jet’s gaze turned worrisome.

“Are you sure you want to go on there? It’s getting late, we should just go get dinner.” Jet told Rose and her smile widened with amusement.

“Are you afraid of heights?” Rose teased. Jet looked down at her again.

“No, I’m not.” he told her with a steady voice. It was the truth. Jet was worried about Rose. As he looked at her, studied her, he found that she looked stronger today though still not healthy. Finally Jet sighed and started to walk towards the Ferris wheel. Rose clapped her hands and trailed after him, so happy she was beside herself. She knew Jet wasn’t afraid of anything. To her he was the strongest person she knew. That’s partly why she loved him so much. When she was so pale and so weak Jet would be the one person holding her up, both physically and mentally. Rose really believed that Jet would hold her together.

Despite her strong belief, Rose was wrong though. There was one thing Jet was afraid of. There was one thing that he was sure to lose. God, fate, the devil… what ever you like to call it, made sure of that. One lively, strong, beautiful, stubborn being…

Rose.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 489 36
Most times we find ourselves getting things we never wished for. I never wanted cancer, but I got it. I'm falling for my former archenemy. I'm livin...
387K 10.9K 48
#908 in Teen Fiction '9/12/2016' #788 in Teen Fiction '18/1/2017' Life could be really tough. It could be sunshine-y and peachy but just like that, i...
284 49 60
He'll live forever into the future. I'm running from my past. When we collide, sparks fly, secrets are threatened, and pasts come back to haunt us. I...
14.4K 565 39
Gosh, I'm so pathetic. I feel like I relate everything happening to me, back to Cody. It's probably because he and I were always together. But I real...