Expiration date (Editing...Ag...

By Brittanymaree01

It is my absolute pleasure and honour to dedicate this whole book to my hero, Jess Ainscough. This powerful... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten.
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty~extra chapter

Chapter seven

510 10 5
By Brittanymaree01

~Edited Chapter~

..... 

Jet didn’t see Rose once that day or the day before. It had been two days since he told Rose he liked her and in his opinion it was two days too long. Jet had only known Rose two weeks but he couldn’t stop thinking about her. He felt drawn to her in a way he never had with any other girl. He didn’t know how to act. Jet had been with girls before and he knew how to charm them but after that, the relationship part was something he had only experienced once before. He just hoped that if ‘fate’ took him in the direction of Rose that he would know how to keep her.

Jet turned on his music and did a prep talk. After a few minutes he had his plan. He was just going to go up to Rose and kiss her. Ok, so it wasn’t a well thought through plan but Jet was going with it. End of story.

His parents were gone for the weekend; they went up to the gold coast for one of their friends’ birthday. Jet volunteered to stay at home. He liked his mum and step dad but that didn’t mean he wanted to hang around them all the time. Saturday morning he woke up late, went for a run, had lunch/breakfast, went to his football game at a neighbouring school, and went to bed late thinking of Rose and thinking about how he helped his team rise to victory that day. Tom scored five tries, Jet scored three and the whole team helped make it happen.  Sunday about midday he got a text from Luke asking if he wanted to meet him and the guys at the park for a game of football they would be there in an hour or so. He quickly agreed and got ready to go. Even after playing a football game yesterday Jet was pumped to kick the football around with his mates. They won their first game with Jet on their team and they were all ecstatic about their next game. Even Coach was smiling…openly. Luke and Jet had become good friends over the past couple of weeks. He didn’t really talk to Rylee much even though they sat in the same group, Georgina on the other hand was great to talk to and was pleasantly down to earth. There were other guys in the group that he was friends with too. Alex and Tom were two others that he got along with.

After slipping into his runners, he headed out of the house after locking it up and taking the key with him. It didn’t take him long to get to the park where his friends were.

“Hey, Jet. Come on over,” Luke called to Jet when he reached the park. Jet jogged over to where the guys were. They had found a prefect size clearing of grass to play on at the bottom of what the guys called The Hill. Jet didn’t know what it meant or what his group had done on The Hill in the past but he wasn’t interested enough to ask. The girls sat on the picnic tables chatting away still mildly interested in Jet’s looks after two weeks of knowing him. They all turned to check Jet out. “You can join my team.” Luke hollered.

“What do you mean ‘your team’? I’m far more kick ass than you, Luke.” A big, hulking guy named Alex called and a few of them chuckled. Jet smiled. Alex was on Luke’s team and was another guy that Jet got along well with. His hair was blonde and his eyes dark.

“Shut up.” Luke chuckled then knocked knuckles with Jet.

“Hey Jet.” Georgina called and waved. He threw her a nod and turned his attention back to the guys. They worked out a game plan then put it into motion. Thanks to Jet’s speed and size he was able to dodge tackles and out run most of the guys on the opposite team. Jet’s team was up by five when half time was called. The girls held out water bottles for the guys. Jet took the one Georgina held out. He gave her a friendly smile. She picked up another and handed it to her boyfriend, Tom.

“Looking good, Jet.” A few of the girls called. He smiled at the girls that were looking at him, not sure who had spoken, then turned back to Georgina.

“So how are things with Rose?” Georgina asked when Tom left them to talk to the guys. Jet looked at her in shock. He hadn’t told anyone.

“I’m sorry?” he frowned.

“I’ve seen you talking to her. I think it’s nice.” She smiled at Jet. He sighed and looked away.

“I have been giving her a bit of space,” Jet admitted. “I told her I liked her and she freaked out a little.” He wasn’t the one to share private information but Georgina was the exception. Jet felt like he could trust her.

“How long has it been since you last talked to her?” Georgina asked and Jet finished off the bottle of water. He felt good after quenching his thirst. Jet wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and tossed the plastic bottle into the nearby bin.

“Almost four days.” Georgina’s mouth dropped open. To Jet it felt like a whole week had passed. He missed Rose and he couldn’t wait to see her tomorrow at school.

“Are you kidding?” Georgina stage whispered. “When I was friends with her she pretty much over thought everything. If you haven’t talked since then, she’s probably at home right now freaking out over nothing.” Georgina told Jet knowingly. She lightly punched his arm. Georgina was spot on. Rose did think too much. Twisting things in ways that would puzzle the smartest of people.

“Should I go to her house?” Jet asked. Desperation filled his voice. He was shocked by the tone of his voice. Jet was never desperate; it wasn’t in his nature to over think things and chase girls. They always came to him.

“No, don’t do that. Find her at school and talk to her then.” Georgina told Jet with a kind smiled.

“Ok, thanks…”

“Come on, Jet. Stop chatting up the girls.” one guy called. Jet chuckled and hurried back to the field to finish off the game. Tom glanced at Georgina, he knew Jet was a ladies man and didn’t want him coming onto his girlfriend. Georgina smiled and shook her head at him in reassurance. Tom would come to trust Jet more but he was just very protective of Georgina and he had chased Georgina for a year before they started dating.

The game finished and the guys were left sweaty and hot. “Jet,” a Black haired girl named Rachael called to Jet and hurried to catch up to him.  She didn’t usually sit with Jet and the group but she was friends with a few of the girls he sat with. Jet’s team won by six and he was now walking back to his car in high spirits. He slowed his pace so she could catch up. Rachael had been flirting with him for about a week now. He didn’t like her, but she wasn’t catching on. “You looked good out there.” She flashed him a man-eating smile. A smile he would have kissed away if he hadn’t of met Rose. But he had met her and he just wasn’t interested in this girl.

“Uh, thanks.”

“You’re really good at physical sports.” She made it sound dirty. Jet cringed internally.

“Ok,” he cleared his throat nervously. “This is my car. See ya.” He blurted out then unlocked his car and got in.

“Ok, see you tomorrow.” She waved, still carrying that sensual tone, and kept walking. Jet let out a breath and let his head hit the headrest behind him. He closed his eyes. He so badly wished that were Rose. He would have taken her hand and opened the door for her to get into his car.

“I don’t want to see her tomorrow.” Jet groaned. He took a deep breath, started the car and drove home. It was growing dark and Jet was getting hungry, too hungry to cook himself dinner. Which would have been toast, seeing as though he was never big on cooking. He stopped in at the Chinese shop in town to get his dinner. Jet had done thins a lot when he was home alone back in Brisbane, though the Chinese food here was far better.

Like Jet it had been a very long three days for Rose. If it where even possible she had felt worse than she did when she went through treatment. She had never missed a guy so much in her life. Rose sat in the passenger seat of her dads’ truck and looked out the window. She wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone. Her thing with Jet had finished far too soon. It was as thought her life was in slow motion but the last two weeks past fleetingly. She sighed, feeling the cold grasp of depressions’ hand on her shoulder.

“When do you think you’ll be finished with your essay?” her dad asked. Rose looked over at him and shrugged.

“I’m not too sure. Soon.” She half smiled and looked back out the window. The rest of the drive went by in silence. Though in Rose’s head it was it was no quieter than a rock concert.

When Marcus stopped out side the high school Rose got out of the car and waved goodbye to her dad. Rose turned to walk into the school but someone stood in her way. Her heart skipped a beat and it was a few seconds until she heard her dad drive off.

It was none other than Jet. Rose’s heart raced without her permission. Depressions grasp loosened and her breathing came fast and short. What would he say? Was he going to be mad? Jet smiled, overjoyed to see her, and Rose almost caved. Almost.

Staying true to her word, Rose hesitantly shifted around Jet and headed for the school. Jet frowned and chased after her. He thought he had seen a glimmer of relief? Happiness? So he was shocked when she walked away.

“Rose, wait,” she picked up her pace. Jet could still out walk her though. “Please, just let me talk.” He grabbed her arm, being extra careful not to hurt her, and slipped around her so he blocked her way. Jet didn’t know one other person that would go to this much trouble to get a girl except Tom. Before Rose he was one of those guys that didn’t have to fight for a girl, now he couldn’t imagine not fighting for Rose. He was prepared to make a complete fool of himself for her, but she didn’t see it.

“I just want to be left alone,” Rose cried and pulled her arm out of his grip. A few people around them looked but then continued to do whatever they had been doing a few moments ago. “Is that so much to ask? Just…just leave me be. I’m not worth your effort. Not to you not to anyone.” Rose sighed. Those words hurt both of them. Jet’s hurt turned to anger. He couldn’t loose someone he hardly had the chance to know but wanted to strongly.

He frowned. “Why because your dying?” Jet asked, half yelling. Rose flinched and Jet instantly regretted his words. They were harsh and blunt. Something Rose hadn’t been accustomed to in her life. She had grown soft emotionally and physically but not mentally.

“Maybe.” Rose shrugged as she looked down at her shoes. Jet’s heart was racing. He was at war with himself. He was mad but also had the strong need to kiss her and take her into his arms, to protect her.

“Well, you don’t get to chose if I leave you alone or not,” he said stubbornly. Jet closed the distance between them, grabbed Rose’s face with his big hands and crushed his lips to hers. At first Rose pushed on Jet’s chest, until she gave into her real feelings. The feelings that had been screaming to get out, ever since Jet helped her up on the first day back at school. Rose relaxed into Jet’s well built body and kissed him back. Her heart raced in her chest and Jet’s whole body lit on fire. The kiss didn’t last too much longer before Jet pulled back. “I’m sorry.” Jet breathed. Rose cut off any other words when she brought his lips back down to hers. Jet lightly cupped her face but didn’t deepen the kiss. He wanted to be careful with her. Breaking Rose was the worst thing he could do. Rose pulled back first and looked up at Jet, her cheeks burning red. Jet chuckled and tapped her nose. Rose bit her lip and tried to calm her racing heart. She hadn’t kissed a guy in so long that it was starting to make her edgy. Something felt so right, so normal about kissing Jet.

“I like you too,” Rose blurted out. “I was too scared before, I couldn’t make myself say it the other day, but I really do like you...” Jet cupped his hand over her mouth, cutting off her babbling. Rose giggled.

She likes me. Was all Jet could think. His lips still tingling, he removed his hand and kissed Rose lightly but passionately. Rose’s eyes remained closed even after Jet pulled back. Her cheeks burned and her chest felt tight. Rose slowly opened her eyes to look into Jet’s. A beautiful smiled lit up Rose’s face.

He kissed me. She thought, feeling giddy.

“Let me take you on a real date.” Jet lent closer, making Rose feel light headed. The intensity in Jet’s eyes momentarily erased her memory and all ability to speak. Her eyes widened and her skin prickled with electricity.

“Uh…I.” she shut her mouth and Jet smirked. He had rendered her speechless. He liked the feeling, how much he affected her because all he wanted was to have her all to himself.

“Just nod yes our no,” he suggested his smirk turning into an amused smile. Rose nodded and her cheeks, which had just reached their usual plain colour, turned pink again. Jet laughed and took her hand. “Let’s go, love.” Rose nodded again and they walked into the school together.

It took Rose a while to get her mind out of it dazed state. She hadn’t been this happy in ages. She did miss the attention, she would only admit that to herself but Jet already knew that by the way she hungrily, almost desperately, kissed him back. So much went unsaid but Rose and Jet found that they didn’t need words. They got each other better than two people should.

This was sure to be a romance made by the gods.

****

Rose enjoyed the classes she had with Jet. The teachers were pleased that they didn’t have to put up with Jet and Rose fighting, just now they had to rouse on them for whispering and sending notes in class.

In Tuesdays biology class Rose sent Jet a message of a piece of paper from her book.

Jet unfolded the paper and read it, I heard you got into the football team.

Mr Rooney had his back to them, furiously scribbling down hints that would help them in the up coming test.

You heard right. You should come to the second game. I’d like to see you in a cheerleader’s outfit. Jet wrote and sent it back to Rose. Her heart raced when she read the note and she smiled to herself.

I already wore the cheerleading outfit.I had to stop wearing it because I looked too good. Rose added a smiley face and folded up the note. She slid it back to Jet and watched him chuckle silently.

Mr Rooney turned around to ask a question about cellular cloning so Rose looked down at her book and Jet stopped laughing and managed to look like he was thinking of the answer.

“Rose, do you know the answer?” he asked her.

She looked up and shook her head. “No, sorry. I don’t.” Mr Rooney looked down at her for a short while longer then moved onto one of the students that had his hand up.

Rose looked over at Jet and she had to put her hand over her mouth so she didn’t make a sound while she laughed.

Movies? Tomorrow night? Jet sent back and received a nod and a massive smile as an answer.

That afternoon Rose walked into town to spend hours in the bookshop. Rod owned the only bookshop in town and Rose spent a lot of her time there, though lately she had been too busy thinking about Jet and hanging out with Jet. Before Rose headed into the bookshop she stopped in at a coffee shop and bought a green tea and a tall black. Rod loved coffee and Rose felt as though she needed to get him something as a sorry for not visiting him recently.

Rose found herself a little puffed out after the five minute walk but she managed to order the drinks and make it too Rod’s shop without stopping for a breather.

Rose skilfully places her green tea on top of the coffee and opens the wooden door with a glass window in it. The shop smelt strongly of old books, a smell Rose loved. She found serenity in the scent and let it wrap around her.

The bell on the door jingled when she entered. Rod’s head appeared around a large bookcase of books. “Rose!” Rod exclaimed with the biggest smile on his face. The store was extremely crowded, so much so that it would be a claustrophobics worst nightmare, though there were only three other people in the store. Rose adored all the books though. “Long time no see.” He emerged from behind the bookshelf with a few books in his hand. Rose placed the drinks on the counter and gave him a hug. Rod was never this way with anyone else. He wasn’t hostile by any means, he usually just didn’t socialise beyond what running a business required him too. It was something about Rose’s energy that always put a smile on his face.

“I know, but I brought you a tall black.” Rose handed him the drink with a smile before taking hers and heading off to look at the books.

“Thank you. I was just about to go get myself one. You saved me four dollars and a trip to the café.”

“No problem.” Rose smiled at Rod over her then turned back to the books. “Have you been busy?” Rose asked then pulled out a book. Marley and Me. She studies the cover before putting it back.

“Hmm, a little. Have you given any thought to working here?” Rod asks as he walks over to Rose. She sips her tea then looks up at Rod with an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry. Mum and dad don’t think that is a good idea. Though I would have loved to of worked here.” Rod nods and smiles.

“That’s alright.” He doesn’t say anything about Rose’s cancer much to her relief. “Well, thanks for the coffee. I’ll let you look around.”

Rod didn’t like to talk much, so after greeting and exchanging pleasantries he let Rose roam the shop and pull out a few travel books and read them on the floor for hours. Rod had listed names of new books he had gotten in that he thought Rose might like and she scanned those as well. In the travel books she scanned some pages and immersed herself in the pages about the places she wished she could travel to. She allowed herself to become amerced in the words that she read and left the store after buying only two books. She didn’t want to blow her allowance on books again.

****

Rose happily got dressed into her floral dress, denim jacket, and her brown cowgirl boots. It was her movie date with Jet and she was overjoyed. Rose dabbed on a little bit of make-up, just to have that shock factor. Rose kind of wanted to render Jet speechless like he did to her, so she figured if she put a bit of effort into her make-up she might get the reaction that she hoped for. After one last look in the mirror she skipped down stairs to where her parents sat reading and knitting. For the first time in a long time Rose was actually pleased with how she looked. For the first time in a long time she actually had a reason to dress up.

Rose entered the lounge room where her parents sat. It was almost six so the lights were on and Marcus had started the fire. Jet would be there any minute.

Marcus was the first to look up, as he wasn’t really into the book he was reading, it was a distraction from his uneasiness about his daughters date. His face portrayed mild shock then a smile broke across his face.

“You look beautiful.” He told his daughter. She smiled broadly and swished her dress from side to side. Irene looked up from her knitting now and tilted her head to the side and smiled a warm smile.

“Oh, Rose.” She whispered. Irene abandoned her knitting and walked over to Rose. She place her hands on either side of Rose’s face. “You look lovely.”

Rose smile and thanked her parents. Irene took Rose into a hug and held back tears.

“Irene, please.” Marcus shook his head. “Don’t overwhelm the girl. Rose has been on dates before, and we hadn’t met any of those boys either. No need to get emotional.” Marcus said with a hint in his voice. Rose rolled her eyes. Rose’s mum let go of her and retreated to her chair.

“Dad, I told you that I would introduce to the Jet…just not yet. He hasn’t meet parents before; I want it to be special. I promised that you would meet him soon though.” Rose raised her brows at her dad and he sighed then shrugged before picking his book up again. Rose smiled and squealed silently with excitement.

There was a knock at the door. Rose giggled as she skipped over to her dad and kissed him on the cheek then her mum.

“If he touches you I’ll hunt him down and torture him.” Rose and Irene’s mouths popped open as they looked at Marcus.

“Daddy.” Rose scolded her dad. Irene shook her head and laughed.

“What? I have tools.” Rose laughed now as well. She shook her head and gave her dad a look before leaving.

“I’ll be home by eleven.” Rose said over her shoulder.

“Nine.” Marcus said and Rose stopped and turned around. She looked at her mum with pleading eyes.

“Mum?”

“Eleven is fine, Rose.” Irene said but looked at Marcus with a ‘you behave’ look. Rose turned and hurried to get the door. She calmed herself before opening the door.

The look of shock on Jet face told Rose that she had gotten the reaction that she wanted. Rose smiled at Jet, showing off her white teeth.

“Hello.” She breathed, loosing some of her confidence when she took in how handsome Jet looked. His shaggy black hair had been cut and it was now a simple mess atop of his head. Jet wore black jeans and a plain, fitting dark blue shirt and black converse shoes. Jet looked older and more handsome with his hair chopped shorter, leaving Rose catching her breath.

“Hey.” Jet smiled a genuine smile. There was no cockiness or humour in this smile. “You look amazing.” Jet said after looking Rose over. She let out a small laugh and smiled at Jet.

“Thank you. I love the new hair style.” She said coolly, regaining her composure. Jet ran his hand though his hair and chuckled.

“Uh, are you ready to go?” Jet asked and Rose nodded eagerly. She closed the door behind her, catching a glimpse of her mum and dad peeping around the wall of the lounge room to get a good look at Jet. Panic rose in her throat at the sight of them. Could they be any less embarrassing? Rose thought.

She silently thanked God that Jet cut his hair, not that she didn’t like it before but it would be so much easier on Jet if her parents didn’t think he was a rebel.

Rose and Jet headed down the walkway and stopped at Jet’s car. Jet opened her door, and Rose giggled as she got in the car. Excitement filled her at how special he was treating her. She had been on dates before but this one was different, she could tell already by the way her heart hammered in her chest. Jet could feel it as well, and he did his best to hide how nervous he was about the night he had planned.

He cut his hair for me. Rose thought as she watched Jet walk around the front of the car.

“So, when did you get your hair cut? It was long at school today.” Rose asked as they headed towards the boundaries of town. Jet had the radio on a local station on a low volume in the background. Despite the more favoured country songs there were actually a few songs that Jet didn’t mind. Occasionally they would play nonstop rock songs, which Jet loved.

“I got it cut just after practice today.” Jet told Rose. She smoothed out her dress and relaxed a little into the seat.

“I guess that I am lucky you aren’t in your basketball shorts and sneakers, then.” Rose teased, despite how nervous she was. Jet chuckled.

“Very,”

“I guess you don’t dress up much.” Rose noted and received a nod from Jet as an answer.

“You haven’t eaten, right?” Jet asked as he took a right instead of turning left and heading out of town.

Rose shakes her head. “Nope. Jet, where are we going?” Rose asked as she studied her surroundings, trying to figure out where they were going. “I thought we were going to the movies.”

“We are, but the cinema in town isn’t showing Pearl Harbor until eight, so…” Jet dragged out as he pulled up at the park he had played football at the weekend before. Rose’s mouth dropped.

“The Hill.” She breathed, a smile touched her lips. Jet shouldn’t have been surprised, his current friends where once Rose’s, but he was. He parked the car and they sat in the car for a few moments. Jet watched Rose as she took in the park and The Hill, as though it had been forever since she had been there. In all truth, Rose hadn’t been there for over a year.

“What are we doing here?” Rose whispered in the silence. Her face was a picture of wonder and blissfulness. The park did look breath taking though. The park itself was cloaked in darkness from the trees but the moonlight hit The Hill lighting it up, making it look like it had hundreds of soft lights inside it, giving it a glow.

Jet got out of the car an opened the boot. Rose followed him and felt a wave of giddiness wash over her.

“I packed a picnic.” Jet admitted bashfully. He felt like an idiot but Rose thought is was romantic. His mum packed the picnic basket but he didn’t tell Rose that, he thought that would be even more pathetic. Rose new Jet probably didn’t have a lot of money to spare but she thought this was much nicer than a dinner at a restaurant. It was less predictable and far more romantic. Jet had shown Rose he had actually put some effort into this date, as thought he truly believed that she was worth it.

“This is wonderful.” Rose breathed and Jet laughed nervously. Rose pulled out the two blankets and waited for Jet to remove the basket and close the boot.

“So how do you know this place?” Jet asked Rose as they walked towards The Hill. They walked close together, occasionally bumping arms and sending zaps of electricity through their arms.

“I used to come here with my friends in primary school. It was our hang out. I came up with the name. It’s a boring name, but we thought it was pretty cool back then.” Rose laughed at the memory then looked over at Jet. He looked back at her but she looked away. “Um, how are they all?” Rose asked her voice was small and a little sad.

Jet wasn’t sure if he should tell Rose that they missed her, he also wasn’t sure if he should tell her that they were great either. “I don’t know them really well yet but they seem to be pretty good. The guys are stoked that I am on the team. Georgina has become a good friend of mine, surprisingly.” Jet told Rose as they crossed the park. Jet hesitated before placing his arm around Rose’s shoulders. She looked down and smiled to herself, glad that they were all happy.

“I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.” Rose told Jet as she sat on the blanket and watched as Jet took out two plates, cutlery and a Tupperware container.

“What surprises you?” Jet asked and handed her a plate. Rose took the plate and gestured around them.

“This. All of this is really sweet, Jet. Thank you.” Jet shrugged off the compliment, though he was relieved to be on the right track. He had never done anything like this before, he had never wanted too. No girl had been worth it, until Rose.

“I’m glad you like it.”

“And Pearl Harbor…” Rose smiled. “I never thought that we would see a movie like that.” Jet opened the container

“Well, I thought you might be the romantic type of girl. So…” Jet’s nerves over the whole situation showed, even Rose could tell he was nervous but she didn’t say anything.

“You were right, I am a sucker for soppy romantic gestures and cheesy dates.” She laughed and Jet relaxed a little bit. “Why have you got waffles in there?” Rose asked and Jet looked up from the container holding the desert his mum cooked up happily that afternoon. It was still warm.

“I thought we could do something different.” Jet smiled and shrugged. He offered Rose the container, using her knife and fork she put two think waffles on her plate.

“Waffles for dinner is different.” Rose smiled and waited for Jet to fill his plate before starting to eat.

“Mum used to make us waffles for dinner when times got rough. No matter how bad it got those waffles always made everything better for a little while.” Jet told Rose as they ate. It was silent for a short while as they ate their pancakes.

“Well, these are really good. I’m not surprised that they would work wonders.” Rose smiled warmly at Jet. She wanted to know about Jet’s past but didn’t want to open old wounds, not on their first real date anyway.

“Vanilla,” Jet said with his mouth full. “Mum adds vanilla.” Rose smiled broadly.

“That makes sense. Wow, Jet these are amazing.” Rose chewed on another mouthful. Jet watched Rose with a smile. She didn’t realise she was being watched as she looked up at the sky, trying to see the stars. They were far enough away from the towns’ lights that they were able to see the stars but the moon was extra bright.

“Cup your hands over your eyes.” Jet told Rose. She placed her fork down and cupped her hands around her eyes. The light from the moon was blocked out of her sight and stars appeared that she couldn’t see before. Rose laughed and gasped.

“I haven’t seen so many stars in ages.” Rose’s voice was breathy and full of amazement. Jet smiled as he watched Rose, wondering how he got so lucky.

“Mum taught me that trick when I was younger.” Rose looked back at Jet with soft eyes.

“You really love your mum, don’t you.” It wasn’t a question but Jet nodded anyway.

“She is the only parent I have.”

“You said you have a step dad though.” Rose noted.

Jet put the last of his waffles in his mouth and leaned back on his hands.

“Yeah, though for most of my life it was just mum and I. She had a few boyfriends over the years but they never lasted.” Jet explained and Rose listened intently.

“Do you wish you had a dad?” Jet shrugged and thought as Rose ate her waffles.

“Uh, yes, but not my dad. I never met him but mum told me a little about them and he sounds like a dead beat.” Jet looked up at the sky as he spoke then looked back at Rose. “Why so many questions?”

“I’m just interested in knowing more about you.” Rose smiled and finished off her food.

Rose continued to ask Jet more questions, staying clear from his anger and his mums past boyfriends. By the time seven thirty came around they packed up the picnic and headed down the hill. Jet held onto Rose hand to make sure she didn’t slip. He had asked about her cancer and Rose willingly told him everything. She told him that she had come to terms with death, that she wasn’t afraid of it. What she didn’t tell him was that she was worried that she wouldn’t have enough time. She wanted time to do the things that she wanted. She wanted time to live her life to the fullest.

After the movie Jet drove Rose home, driving slower then the speed limit. She gushed excitedly about the movie while Jet drove.

“I can’t believe that you have never seen that movie!” Rose exclaimed. “It is such a great movie.”

“I actually haven’t been to see a movie since I was six.” Jet admitted and Rose choked on air. With a look of disbelief she faced Jet.

“Seriously?” She asked and Jet nodded. “Geez, if I had known I would have made you take me to an action movie. You would have enjoyed it a bit more.”

“It’s alright. I would have enjoyed any movie as long as you were there.” Jet said under his breath, a little embarrassed at his words. He knew Rose didn’t mind but they felt foreign for him to say, even though they were true. Rose bit her lip and smiled.

“You know, you are a lot different than I thought you would be.” Rose admitted and Jet’s heart skipped a beat.

“Uh, is that a good or bad thing?” Jet asked unsure. Rose smiled at him before looking out the windscreen.

“It’s a good thing.” Rose reassured him. “Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed you annoying me…”

“Chasing you.” Jet corrected light heartedly and Rose continued with a smile.

“...But, at this point…I like this.” Rose blushed from the words she was about to say. Though Jet didn’t notice as her face was clocked mostly in darkness. “I haven’t had a first date, ever, that was as wonderful as that.” Rose told Jet truthfully. They looked at each other for a moment. Jet looked away first and sighed. As they passed streetlights Rose could see he was mulling over something. She waited patiently for him to say what he wanted to say. She wasn’t worried or nervous, because she knew that the words ‘I love you’ weren’t about to come out of his mouth.

Jet slowed the car to 10km and looked around them. There wasn’t another car in sight. And though they were only on the edge of the centre of town the only lights came from the moon and the streetlights. Rose frowned and a smile played at her lips. “What’s going on?” she asked when Jet pulled over to the side of the road. Jet cut the engine and turned his body to face Rose, whose face was lit up with a smile.

“Can you handle one more cheesy thing tonight?” he asked as he pulled a face. Rose’s smile widened as she nodded.

“Yes,” as soon as the words left her mouth Jet turned the key in the ignition to accessories so the radio came back on. The local radio station was a 22-hour station, playing non-stop songs after eight. He turned up the volume and wound his window down. Rose did the same as Jet got out of the car and opened her door. Rose laughed lightly as she step away from the car. “What’s happening?” Rose asked as Jet took her hand and pulled her onto the road. She looked around franticly to check for cars, feeling oddly exposed, but there wasn’t a car in sight on the quiet street. The businesses had closed up shop for the night and most people in Fern Grove were asleep. The song that came on the car radio was by no means a happy song or one you would chose to slow dance to, but Jet took Rose by the waist and pulled her close. She was shocked at first but she soon relaxed and they started to sway together. Jet had never danced in his life and Rose could tell but she said nothing. She didn’t want to ruin the moment.

They moved together, getting closer as the song went on. Rose placed her head on Jet’s chest and they both let the comforting silence fall around them, and let the song take them away. Rose delighted in the closeness and the wonder that she felt being so close to Jet. In that moment she realised that she never wanted to be apart from him. She wanted to have a hundred more moments like this with Jet. Just for that night they both forgot about school, friends and family, Jet’s anger and his dark past, and the cancer. They allowed themselves to get caught up in the moment, with all its loveliness and romance. They both had had the best first date and it only costed fifteen dollars.

Three songs passed, then another and another without a word uttered. The temperature had dropped four degrees but Jet cloaked Rose in his warmth. Rose was so relaxed and peaceful that she could have been high on happy gas. The night was not what she had expected…it was better. She was overwhelmed with joy and wonder at how good it could be. Neither Jet nor Rose had thought it could get so good. They never thought that they would be blessed enough to experience such a connection to another person.

Being the gentlemen that he usually wasn’t, Jet reminded Rose she had to be home by eleven. They got into the car, Jet fought the urge to kiss Rose, and they drove off in the direction of Rose’s house.

As they got closer to her house the conversation died off and nerves filled their stomachs. Jet had been dying to kiss Rose ever since he saw her in the light dress and boots at her front door, but he had seen her parents watching them and didn’t think it would make for a good impression. He thought that a goodnight kiss when he dropped her off would be his best bet. Rose seemed to feed off of Jet’s nerves and started looking out the window at the trees.

“Do you ever think of what the world will look like in the future?” Rose asked out of nervousness. Jet was taken aback by the question. He looked over at Rose as she looked out the window. He thought about his answer, not sure what he was supposed to say. Rose saved him.

“Like,” She looks back at Jet. “Do you think it will be like the Jenson’s on telly? Or maybe those weird 80s movies that are set in the future with hover cars and robots and all the other fancy stuff.”

“I’m not sure.” Jet admitted. “I have never really thought much about the future.” Rose looked back out her window.

“I have.” she told him glumly. Rose looked back at Jet and caught a worried look on his face. “Not mine, though.” She smiled. “I wonder if there will still be trees or if the human race will all be living in a plastic world.”

“Wow, you really do think about this a lot.” Jet sounded genuinely surprised and Rose’s cheeks reddened. “I guess,” Jet pondered. “I would think most of the world would end up consisting mostly of concrete and everyone would live in apartments and have robots.” Jet was thoughtful again. “Though I think it will stay green for a while.” Rose smiled to herself. This boy is a keeper. Rose thought.

“I think you are right.” Rose said as Jet pulled up outside of her house. She stifled a sigh.

They walked up the driveway hand in hand, taking steps slowly, trying to drag out the date.

They stopped at the front door, Jet turning to Rose first. Crickets chirped in time with the frogs, making a nature melody as Rose and Jet looked into each others eyes.

“I had a lovely time tonight, Jet. Thank you. You spoilt me.” when Rose spoke her voice was soft and a little breathy. Jet stepped closer and reached up with one of his hands and touched her soft cheek.

“You’re worth it.” He told her, as thought it was the most obvious thing in the world. It was clear to Rose what was about to happen but still butterflies fluttered around in her stomach. They had kissed once before but this was different, Rose could actually see this one coming, like one of those loud cars that sped down her street.

Rose’s breath caught in her throat as Jet leaned in. He watched her reaction, right down to her parting lips and closed eyes.

There lips met, pressing together in a feather of a kiss for only a moment. Jet pulled back and looked into Rose eyes.

“I’m sorry if I did anything wrong. I haven’t exactly been on too many dates like this before.” Jet whispered and they kissed again.

“What? Ones that end in the bedroom?” She teased and Jet poked her in the navel. She giggled and kissed Jet again. Jet chuckled, loving Rose’s laugh.

“No…” he shook his head. “A romantic kind of date.” He gave her a lopsided smile.

“I know. But everything was perfect.” Rose smiled up at him and a moment of silence fell around them. Rose’s eye flickered to Jet’s hard set but soft lips then to his eyes and back to his lips. Jet hid a smile and kissed her one last time. This kiss lasted for longer. It was a passionate kiss, with a little bit of hunger. Rose snaked her arms up and around his neck, clasping her hands together at the nape of his neck. Jet pulled Rose closer and opened her mouth with his tongue. Rose welcomed him.

“Rose is that you?” Irene’s voice broke them apart from inside the house. Rose pulled back and put her hand over her mouth to stop from laughing. Jet ran his hands through his hair.

“I guess that’s a sign I should go.” Jet whispered. Rose nodded, still trying not to laugh. She threw her arms around Jet’s neck and he hugged her back, momentarily lifting her off the ground.

“Thank you, again.” Rose whispered when they pulled back. Jet nodded and moved towards his car.

“I’ll talk to you later?” He asked eagerly. Rose smiled and nodded hastily.

“Alright. I’ll text you about the football game tomorrow.”

Jet was momentarily at a loss. “Foot…oh, right yeah. I’ll text you.” Jet stumbled a little as he turned towards his car. Rose smiled as she watched Jet walk away. Her heart was racing and her palms were clammy but she still felt Jet lips on her. Her cheeks glowed bright red but for once she didn’t care. Rose was too jazzed about her wonderful date with Jet. She waited, biting her lip and waving, until Jet was out of sight to go inside. Rose figured her parents would be in bed so she locked up and headed up the stairs and down the hall to her parents room. She knocked on the door before opening it.

“Hi, mum. Hi, daddy.” She said, unable to wipe the smile off of her face.

“Hey sweetie.” Irene discarded her book. He dad studied her to see if Jet had ‘touched’ her. She gave her dad a look. “Have a good date?”

Rose’s smile broadened and she nodded. “I did. We had a picnic on The Hill, watched Pear Harbour, and danced on the road.” she bit her lip. Marcus sat up straight.

“On the road? Was he trying to get you killed?” Irene hit Marcus lightly and tusked disapprovingly.

“Don’t worry daddy, there wasn’t any cars around. He didn’t hurt me or disrespect me in anyway either. So calm your farm.” Rose told him before wishing them sweet dreams and dancing off to her room.

Rose showered and changed into her nightgown, thinking about nothing but Jet and the wonderful time she had on their date. She even used conditioner as shampoo and shampoo and conditioner. She fell asleep quickly and dreamed of Jet.

Jet arrived home to a quiet house. His mum and Peter said they would be asleep by the time he got home. Jet locked the door behind him and headed to the bathroom to shower with a smile on his lips. He dressed in his room and laid awake thinking about how well the date with Rose went and the soft touch of her lips on his.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.2K 7.4K 79
[Featured by wattpad romance, teen fiction, young adult and psychologicalnovel] Joy Jones was a seventeen-year-old kind and optimistic girl working...
78K 663 7
(IF YOU ARE NOT READING IT ON WATTPAD THEN IT IS STOLEN) DO NOT COPY OR USE THIS BOOK AS A FANFIC. PLEASE. ( Book IV ) How far will you go for some...
2.6K 183 22
"My life was perfectly fine. surrounded by peace and love. until I walked in my dead granny's room. my eyes stopped on her journal. I grasped it and...
1.2K 175 44
NOW PUBLISHED IN PAPERBACK ON AMAZON! IF YOU WANT TO ADD IT TO YOUR SHELF, JUST CLICK ON THE LINK IN MY BIO NOW!!! OR CLICK HERE:- https://www.amazon...