Remedial Heart (LeAga)

By welsyelsie

A medical drama-romance story about two wounded people. May this inspire you to love the medical world; they'... More

Remedial Heart
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine (ASYSTOLE)
forty (REHABILITATION)

fourteen

6.3K 114 20
By welsyelsie

hmmmmm... i'll say it to you pag nag meet nalang tayo

........

you can tell it right now

why im feeling nervous? should i? 😖

.......

dont be, i'll hug you virtually

Good night Sir Aga 💋

.......

Good mornight Doc 😘  sleep well.

--------------------

Scarlett, Justin and I arrived at a restobar, catching up with our med-school barkadas

"Ayan na ang team St. Paul!" Kaitlyn the Ob-gyne in the group greeted

"Ang tagal kasi ni Lea mag rounds"

"Ako talaga? sino kaya ang matagal mag endorse ng Brazilian model na pasyente?" I defended

My medschool squad are mainly my support core group. Our friendships are the most valuable to me. They were the ones that I know I can always come to when I need a drunken night, a nice calm dinner, a shoulder to cry on, a good laugh and a judgement free zone.There aren't enough words in the dictionary to describe how much I love and appreciate them. From the late night heart to heart talks to the laughing fests in the lounge, they've all made my med-school experience a memorable one. I've never been so close to a group of people, and I must say, I couldn't be more happier to be a part of their lives. As the too mainstream line says 'brothers and sisters from another mother'. I will always remember the times we've shared and the memories made. I love them with all my heart.

Originally, we're seven in the group, but since Thomas and I broke up, he was eliminated and totally dumped by them too. Thomas was actually one of my barkadas, we've started as close friends.

"So—how's Doc Lea's heart now that she finally meet Doc Thomas the fuckboi exfiancè?" Patricia started

"Drop off the topic!" I said

"No, no no no— Scarlett! Tell us"

"Ano ka ba Trish, drop off the topic na! Panis na yan eh dahil may fresh news ang ating ER Dokie"

Justin tapped the table "I know that! I know that! I know that!"

"I know that too—" Bea inserted "—Wala ka bang balak sabihin sa amin? Ang unfair mo girl!"

"And what should I tell you girls? Wala pa, baka next time meron na. We're on the getting to know each other stage— wala pa. You'll definitely know the news first if kami na—officially."

"What— ?? hoy matanda ka na Manang for that! Grade two na nga ang inaanak mo!" Patricia said

Sad to know; Yes, I am old.

Justin asked "So ano yung picture na may heart na caption sa facebook?—flirt flirt lang ganoon?"

"—And Anong wala pang 'kami' eh nag meet the family na nga kayo!" Kareena bluffed out

I gave Scarlett the look

"Ayy grabe siya! Lea ha mapagbintang ka! Wala akong sinabi—diba Kars? tell her!"

"Yes Lei, sa facebook ni Dr. Morales ko nakita"

"What—friends kayo ni Dr. Morales?" we've asked in chorus. Everyone bursted into laughters

"Hindi ako! hindi ako! Grabe kayo!—my mom and Dr. Morales are batchmates sa medschool, they're friends and mom asked me to confirm if ikaw ba yung nasa picture—to my surprise, Yes it was YOU Lea Carmela!"

"Hala hala ang hot ng topic—so how was that?"

"—wait doon muna tayo sa may heart emoji na caption with matching 'best birthday present ever'. Anong birthday present mo Lei? Kilala kita girl, kilalang kilala!—anong level na kayo?—OMG!!!! Daks ba Lei, daks ba siya? gifted ba siya?"

"Wait! wait! wait! wait— anong daks? what do you mean?" they've laughed "And wait— bakit ako ang nasa hot seat? we'll talk about something else nalang, like yung convention ni—"

"—Ano ka ba Justin? paano malalaman ni Lea kung daks eh bawal ang strenuous activity malapit sa area! Base sa human anatomical linkage, masakit 'yun in his case, post-Operation intermedullary nailing right lateral femur bone, right Scar?"

"Sorry Kars, I cannot confirm your queries. I respect the Hippocratic oath, I practice the code of Ethics of the Medical Profession and the Patient's bill of rights to safeguard the confidiential informations"

"Gaga!" Kareena threw her tissue to Scarlett "Sinabi mo nga sa akin nung Sunday na pasyente mo ang pamangkin ni Dr. Morales na naka post-op nailing with a charged professional fee of 250 thousand pesos—tell me, saan dun ang sinasabi mong 'Patient's bill of rights to safeguard the confidiential informations'? pati nga amount sinabi mo!"

"Wow! Scarlett, ang harsh mo, overpriced ha!—250K talaga?" I exclaimed

"Lea, excuse me, that was the most perfect and successful surgery I've recorded in my chart—and Titanium yung ginamit ko kaya mahal! One thing, naka insurance siya and stockholder pa ng isang housing development company— I bet, limang piso niya lang ang 250K? Hello girls? Use your brains nga!"

Patricia cleared the scenario "I want to ask this serious matter—the question is: Alam na ba itong lahat ni Atty. Joy Sarmiento?"

I shook my head 'no'

"Oh my god!!!! That is bad—so how will you introduce the man to the Dragon lady?"

"I believe matanda na ako; I pay for my own and I think of my own, so she should agree and abide with my decisions"

"Hindi yan ang pagkakilala namin sa kanya, Lea."

My mom is a one tough cookie. The one who's really hard to please. The one who's critical thinking level is boxed from the tradition of the first centuries. When she found out that Thomas and I were more than friends during med-school, she confronted Thomas; intimidated him and forced him to leave me and break the relationship.

Good thing, my Dad was there for us, he defended us from my mom and he even tried to let my mom understand that I am already in medschool, professional in level and as long as we keep to walk on the right track then it's fine. When we broke up, my mom was really not helpful. At that time when my feelings was too shattered instead of guiding and uplifting me, she scolded me for making the most unwise and wrong decision of choosing Thomas instead of listening to her and even sent me to London—all alone. True enough, Yes it was; but that was the time we're already licensed Physicians and I want her to know that I was not wrong about choosing Thomas, she haven't seen how Thomas and I encouraged each other to pursue our dreams and the wrong part about our relationship was the reality—I fell in love with a fuckboy.

My mom and I have a love-hate relationship, she always referred me as the black sheep of the family. I am from a family of Lawyers; starting from my dad down to my siblings and I was the exempt—my mom was not proud of that.

I just want my mom to feel that her offsprings, as they grow up, they developed different characters and beliefs; thereby, they are not the same. They were not born to be programmed to what they will become in the future. Given the main reason 'we are just concerned about your future'; Yes they do, but what do they know about the future? Parents should not dictate to what their children wanted to become, they should also learn to listen and unbox the old tradition then guidance, support and understanding should follow. It's not being rebelious, it's being able to make a stand to what you really want as long as it would make you happy, successful and productive individual. After all, you cannot bring your profession nor the titles inserted in your names in your grave.

"Your Dad was there for you and Thomas, but now that he's gone—who will defend the man?"

"Me! I will be there for him, I will defend him. I will tell my mom, if she likes Aga then good and if she don't—it's fine. If she allows us to settle down then good and if she don't—still, fine. We're adults and we're beyond preferred marrying age, no parents consent or appearance needed."

"So the name is Aga?"

"Aga Morales—Architech Aga Morales of La Vista Housing Development Company"

"Wow, nag research si Kareena! Ikaw na yan girl!" Scarlett mocked

"Bakit daw Aga ang given name?—ang weird naman."

I giggled "I forgot that part, I'll ask him."

"So—the thing would be, a courtesy call lang kay madame Attorney? the decision of the court would not alter the feelings tapos... tapos after kasalan na?"

They teased.

"Lei, sure ka na ba dito? So if you'll say you're official na, it would mean marriage? tama ba ang interpretation ko sa logic mo?"

"Yes."

"my Lord! Matured ka na Manang, may ganoon ka nang discretion ngayon?"

"Yes."

"Baka na o-overwhelmed ka lang Lea ha? I'm warning you, the dimples nor the letters would not save you if you'll be hurt again. Huwag ka magmadali sa decision na ito."

"Anong meron Doc bakit ka ganito ngayon? may nainom ka ba? nagmamadali ka ba? ano —may terminal disease ka ba? naghihiganti ka ba? nababagot ka ba?—"

"Nababagot! That—" I snapped my fingers "I need to spice up my life, ang routine na ng buhay ko. I woke up, I go on duty, I sleep then repeat. Look, tumatanda na ako, I want to take my life slow—dati pa pero hindi naging successful, I want to build a family, gusto ko ng magkaanak, gusto ko ng babies—alam niyo yun, nasa stage na ako na gusto ko ng responsibility yung feeling na kailangan mo mabuhay kasi may umaasa sa iyo; gusto ko yung may kukulit sa akin, may maglalambing, may mag aabang pag-uwi ng bahay, gusto ko mag grocery ng milk, ng diapers, ng food, gusto ko magluto—"

Scarlett cleared her throat "So, nagsasawa ka na sa akin, ganon? Iiwanan mo na ako?"

"Magkaanak?" Kate butted in "—magpa inseminate ka na lang! Ako bahala sa iyo! With the current technology now in OB-gynecology under Pregnancy and Birth, age is not an issue anymore.

Insemination with genetic selection is the key answer to a high quality offspring. Bukas dalhin mo yung sperm ng daddy and next week—kaboom, may baby ka na sa womb! Anong gusto mo Lea? Single, twins, triplets, quadruplets— Triplets na lang! You know what, with the current study I am into, i'm trying to perfect the gene selection ng triplets. Last month was the fourth birthday of the twins, yung kwento ko sa inyo? remember? yung unang beses na nag gene selection ako ng twin embryo! If you'll see them, I got pictures here on my phone.. ang gaganda! Super! parang doll! Yung eyes, yung lashes, yung nose! Perfect combination ng dominant traits ng magulang!

All can be yours too—Lea, not just one, not two but three! I'll give you a discount naman! .... hmmm—the daddy is a stockholder naman no? Sige 1.8, okay na pero dapat ninang ako!"

Everybody widen their eyes after we heard Kate's last sentence

"Million?" we asked in chorus

"Yes, 1.8Million pesos PER baby at discounted price. Mind you, our regular fee is 2.5Million. No refund if unsuccessful— Dont worry, the daddy naman is a businessman, the mommy is a doctor—kayang kaya kahit regular price!"

"Leche Kaitlyn, anong sasabihin ng mga anak ko? That i've bought them in high quality form from Ninang Kaitlyn Chua Artificial Insemination Store?" I blurted out

"That—" she accentuated "—that mind-set is a misconception! Girls, mga Doctors tayo, we should understand this. Insemination is not something like you bought the baby, it's actually a great help for mothers at age like yours—Lea who wanted a good outcome. Diba nga, we know the outcomes of babies at stage beyond the woman's preferred pregnancy age. Yes, not true to all but there are some who's unsucessful and the most sad thing, they are with deformities or abnormalities, we are trying to correct these"

"Katey, of course we understand the procedure pero dapat siguro for couples with suspected genetic incompatibility lang applicable. Parang kase the way you speak it's like you are modifying genetic make-up of an individual for enhancement purposes." Bea corrected

"Ibahin mo kasi pagpromote ng specialization mo Kate, not that it's as if you're manufacturing a high quality baby!" I said

"Actually, confidential ang procedure na ito! I don't really share this to anybody but to the squad only. And don't worry girls, it's all for medical purposes only!"

"Weh?—" we teased in chorus

"Yes! Totoo —And it's Lea, I am excited for Lea and I love Lea—kaya may discount!" she said in defense

We laughed

"Ang mahal Kate, wala bang 100K?"

"Meron naman Scar, pero 100K din yung quality ha? Huwag mag expect!"

"Grabe ha! I thought nasa 500K-1M lang ang procedure na yan, isn't that too expensive for couples at mid-level who can't produce offspring and really wanted to do the procedure?"

"The regular IVF can be done at lower price. As i've said Justin, there's gene selection. The good dominant traits of the parents will be pronounced. Mahal ang tutition namin sa Russia— and FYI, hindi madaling mag analyze ng genetic code, genetic make-up or manipulate those alleles"

"So you mean— earlier you've mentioned if unsuccessful, no refund? Ang yaman mo na girl!"

"Yes, Scar, but just 1:10 lang ang scale namin sa unsucessful pregnancy, mostly nasa carrier kasi yan eh; Kung ang babae eh alam na may twins siyang dinadala and costs 2.5M pero nagpapakapagod sa pagtatrabaho, ayun nakukunan! So 2.5M will be gone in an instant! — kaya umalis ka na sa Ortho, Scar— try mo sa specialization ko!"

"No, thanks! Wala akong patience sa mga babies na yan!"

"So Lea? Ano na? G na ba? Ready ka na ba?"

"Kate, the offer's good and convincing! But mas prefferable pa rin yung pinaghirapan niyo—out of love. It's natural, organic and—" I clutched my hand

"Masarap!" they've answered in chorus

----------------

I woke up to buzzing notifications on my phone. I checked it; three missed call from an unknown number and a text message

Lea this is Ama, please call me as soon as you read this

I literally jumped out of bed. I am not expecting this or any text message from her.

Timidly, I hit the call button.

Lea?

Yes po, speaking I bit my thumb's nail tip

I want you to come with us next weekend for a family trip within Luzon area lang naman, can you clear your schedule?

Okay po, sure Ama. I will do it po

Thanks! that's all. Are you on duty?

No po, I just woke up. I'm sorry po I didnt answered your call immediately.

Did I woke you up? Sorry to disturb you

No, it's fine po. I'm good

Okay, that's nice to know. See you, Darling!

She hung up the phone.

WaitDid I just say 'yes' without even seeing my duty schedule? I can still feel a little bit wobbly when talking to this old lady. She's intimidating just like her son Dr. Morales but if you'll know her moreshe has a good heart.

I texted Aga

Hey! 😊

........

Did you sleep well?

........

Yes

........

That's good 😁

........

I called Ama 😂 bec she texted me

........

Really? close na kayo? It's rare to hear thjat she texted somebody.

........

No, she texted me to call her

........

I see, baka di mo sinagot agad ang call niya?

........

Yes, I really did not. Do you think she got angry?

........

No, when Ama texted you, it means the info she'll say is important.

Why? What is it?

........

Secreeeettt 😝

........

Secret? ba't ka pa nagtext? 😒

........

Wala lang, gusto lang kitang i-text, Sir! Did I disturbed you?

........

I'm on a meeting

And I like you to disturb me

........

Manyak!

........

I dont mean anything... ikaw lang nag-iisip nyan, kaya ikaw ang manyak!

........

Whatever 😝

........

Tomorrow ha?

........

Hwag na, busy ka eh

........

Eto naman 😭

------------------

I watched as Aga entered the restaurant, he was pink in the face but still walking head's up when people in the restaurant looked at him, because of the big Holland tulips flower-in-a-box arrangement he was carrying.

With the kind of feeling I felt, I knew— I knew I loved him. I wanted to go and hug him fiercely but I stayed in my seat, smiling as he came towards me.

He got to me soon enough, and this time, I stoop up and hugged him. I sat back down, and he sat down too on the opposite leather chair. The pink slowly leaving his face.

"You were blushing" I teased

"Not my fault the people wont mind their damned business"

I swallowed, emotion clogging my throat. Like most women, I had envisioned my lover to be tall, dark, and handsome, but now, there was no way I would leave him for any tall, dark, and handsome man.

When I am with this man everything seems to be fine, it seems to work, and it seems to make sense. It's like when we're together, he allow me to be the person I want to be—relaxed, at peace, and rested.

They say; when you do meet the right one, you'll know, too. You won't have to struggle to to make things work out all the time. You won't have to change the person you're with. You won't suffer because of their actions. It's not saying you won't occasionally get into fights or everything is always going to be perfect, but life will be as perfect as it can be with them. You'll love it, and you'll love that person more than you ever thought imaginable.

He was now everything to me; I will do everything to not loose him, and suddenly I felt the need to say it. I swallowed again, keeping it in, and looking at his face.

"Tama na, konti na lang matutunaw na ako" he said

I held his hand

"Come—here, sit beside me"

He did as I said and sat down beside me

"Gusto mo ba closer pa?"

I smiled and fixed his glasses

"Gusto ko kapag nag date tayo, tabi tayo kumain"

"Why?"

"Gusto ko zoomed in eh" I sniffed his cheek and poked his right dimple

"Ang clingy niya!!!!" he teased

"Bakit, ayaw mo?"

"Ha? Ahhh—Gusto ko—gusto ko!"

"I like the beard!"

He rubbed his beard

"All—for you!"

------------------------

We walked across the car park together— our fingers, interlocked. I can see that his gait is unstable, difficulty bearing weight on his right leg.

"Are you okay?"

He smiled "Yes, of course!"

His driver opened the car's door, I let him to enter first and observed him. I locked the door and he attempted to sit close to me, he hugged his injured leg

"Ahh—ah—ouch! Aray—" he wailed

His face flushed, indicating the felt of sharp pain.

"Aga—hey! are you okay?"

"Yes—yes, i'm fine!"

His driver looked at us at the backseat

"Sir, okay lang po ba kayo?"

Aga gave him an okay thumbs-up

"Dan, pwede ba labas ka muna saglit, may pag-uusapan lang kami, I'll call you if we're done" I said

"Okay po, Doc"

When his driver came out of the car. I ordered Aga to lean back at the car's door facing me and to rest his right injured leg in the seat. I leaned closer to him to press the lock button of the door at his side.

"Doc, huwag po—" he joked, mid-raising his two arms

"Remove your pants!" I ordered

"Lei, I understand your needs pero huwag dito, maliwanag pa!— Later na lang ha?"

"Gago!" I punched his arm "Please, cooperate with me, I am assessing the cause of the pain"

"I said, I'm okay!— and pupunta pa tayo ng mall diba? Date natin today, later na lang ito, the pain is still bearable"

I gave him the look "marami pang time para mag date, what's important now is to manage that pain, you know your medical condition— you should not tolerate this"

"Ang hirap naman magka-girlfriend ng isang Doctor!" he said

"You can choose not to, para di ka mahirapan!"

"Ha?—" he paused. Quickly, he removed his pants "joke lang naman, gustong-gusto ko mahirapan, gusto ko ng girlfriend na isang Doctor—ang cool kaya!"

"Naku, huwag na— i tell you mahihirapan ka kapag Doctor ang girlfriend mo!" I teased

"It's definitely fine! Ano ka ba Doc, okay lang naman—sanay na akong nahihirapan!"

I leaned closer to assess the right leg. Scarlett was right, the nailing procedure was perfectly and successfuly done. No traces of stitches in the area.

He moved his shirt down trying to hide his manhood bulk covered with boxer briefs.

"Sir, marami na akong nakitang ganyan, not my first to see—!" He chuckled "You know I resuscitated you, and —" I moved to face him inch close, our nose touched "I was there when they sponge bathed you and changed your—bloody clothes."

His eyes widen

"Ha!—hindi mo maalala nung time na ni resuscitate mo ako, pero yung sponge bath and change clothes naalala—ngayon alam mo na sino sa ating dalawa ang tunay na 'M'"

"Anong 'M'?— ituloy mo!"

"'M'?— matalino! Ikaw ang mas matalino sa ating dalawa!" he cackled

I gently palpated the area to exactly detect the point of pain. In a while, the point is just two inches anterior superior to his knee capsule, and a reddish-blue indicating a bruise formation was noted.

I was alarmed by the formation, and promptly phone called Scarlett to let her know about Aga's condition. She urgently ordered to rush him in the hospital to conduct x-ray.

"Did you have any fever for the past few days?" I asked

"No"

"Rate the pain 1-10, ten being the worst pain possible"

"six"

"Aga—please answer me honestly, i'm taking your case history for the past few weeks!"

"Doc, you know i'm honest with you, ikaw lang naman—"

"Any strenuous activity you did the past few days?"

"Just the field inspection, yesterday"

"You did what?"

"Field inspection"

"Is the road surface you've walked is not a flat area?"

"Yes, because it's underconstruction"

"Why did you do it?"

"It's my work"

"Haven't you considered your condition? at nag field work ka pa!"

I leaned back and crossed my arms. I sighed in disappointment, and rolled my eyes.

"Okay— sorry, Doc!" he rested his head on my shoulder

"So how will your health prognosis becomes good if you still work as if you're not injured? Sana hindi ka nalang nagpa P.T., you're just wasting their time to help you recover!" I scolded

"Sorry po—i will not do it again!"

-----------------

After the x-ray, Scarlett waited at the consultation room; arms crossed and eyebrows puckered.

"Anong ginawa niyong dalawa?" Scarlett asked

Aga looked at me, and he snickered.

"What?— tell her what you did!"

"Lea! diba? napag-usapan na natin ito?—no such activity unless fully recovered!" Scarlett lectured

"Ang awkward nito, wala akong ginawa, wala kaming ginawa!" I uttered

"Totoo? walang nangyari?"

"Wala nga—ano ba Aga, tell your Doctor what you did!" I exclaimed

+++++++++++++++++

UP NEXT:

Aga and I sat on the veranda over looking the deep blue calm sea. The onshore breeze is balmy and refreshing; in addition to that is his fingers interlocked with mine bringing those up to his face and giving soft kisses to my knuckles .

"I remembered, diba may sasabihin ka akin?" he asked

"Which one? I forgot"

"The supposed text message you want to tell me 'pagnagkita tayo'"

"Ah—right. I — I—want you to meet my... mom and my family!"

"Really? That's cool! Sure! Just tell me when and where and i'll be there"

"Errr—But meeting my mom is not that easy as you think!"

"Why?" he pouted

"She's somebody—she's a lawyer, she's tough, she can intimidate you. We are trying to be in good terms; but dont worry, I'll be with you—you'll be with me."

"But if I'll meet her and it'll just cause you to break your relationship with your mom—let's not do it soon, let's do it at the right time. Considering you're the only girl in the family, maybe she's just being over protective and that's understandable."

"No—let's do it soon!"

"Why? why sooner?"

I took a deep breath and smiled.

"Because I am now ready to—

settle and spend my life with you!"

+++++++++++++++++

Have a nice day 😊

Vote and leave a comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.1K 53 41
R18
402K 21.1K 32
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
381K 10.8K 40
Anthea Louise Vergara is a well-known prodigy who obtained a bachelor's degree in Accountancy at Oxford University. She is also The Most Outstanding...
2.6M 101K 61
It all started with a facial hit by the outside spiker Roen Alejo to the rookie libero Kai Reyes.