Enchanted

By ElenaRose18

Princess Avery of Carcassone, lived a simple royal life. But when she finds a mysterious box that leads to a... More

Enchanted (Completed)
Chapter 1 - The Mysterious Box
Chapter 2 - Accepting the Truth
Chapter 3 - Betrothed
Chapter 4 - Treason
Chapter 5 - Imprisoned
Chapter 6 - Going Back
Chapter 7 - A Princess Can Do Better
Chapter 8 - The Plan
Chapter 9 - Hide and Seek
Chapter 10 - The Princess and the Pauper
Chapter 11 - Changes
Chapter 12 - Revelations
Chapter 13 - More Powerful Than Ever
Chapter 14 - Halfway There
Chapter 15 - Help From a Likely Source
Chapter 16 - Traitor
Chapter 18 - Scream
Chapter 19 - Letting Go and Looking Forward
Chapter 20 - Wedding Bells
Chapter 21 - Supernatural Princess
Chapter 22 - The Sacrafice
Chapter 23 - Reunited
Chapter 24 - Forever Mine
Chapter 25 - Celebrations
Chapter 26 - Revenge
Chapter 27 - Late, Last Night
Chapter 28 - The Dilemma
Chapter 29 - It's Time
Chapter 30 - I'll Never Leave You...
Chapter 31 - The Great Battle Part 1
Chapter 32 - The Great Battle Part 2
Chapter 33 - The Great Battle Part 3
Chapter 34 - I'll Always Remember You...
Chapter 35 - The Happy Ending

Chapter 17 - Deceived By One Of Our Own

120 2 0
By ElenaRose18

CHAPTER 17 - DECEIVED BY ONE OF OUR OWN

************************************************************************************************************

Avery woke up suddenly. Her body ached all over and looking around her she noticed she was in her own room again. Avery let out a shaky sigh and tried to convince herself it was going to be alright, but even she couldn't lie to herself with her mixed emotions. Avery felt her eyes water and she bit her lip to stop the tears from falling.

Slowly throwing the sheets back, Avery reluctantly got up and shook her head. So much happened in  a day and Avery was still coming to terms with most of it. Yet Avery's heart longed to hold Dylan but that spark she felt for him and that desire had long ago melted away, since she left Enchanted. As their soul-mating process was not complete, one heart-break resulted in the loss of each other. Avery knew she couldn't see Dylan again, and her heart started to ache causing the princess to break-down completely...

***

Alex was still in shock. He left his soul-mate behind as she refused to accept him. Yet when he said he decided to leave with Avery, he saw in Selenita's eyes that she wanted him to stay. But he couldn't, she didn't want him. She specifically told him that and he stayed away from her or he'd be banished for ungentlemanly behaviour, and he couldn't go down that road again. 

When he and Avery and arrived back in Carcassone, she broke down and told him everything. He felt his heart hurt as not only did his soul-mate not want him but the person he actually loved, had the same feelings for someone else. Both had searched for the Enchanted box but it was no-where to be seen and they both faced that it was over with the other world. The conversation was minimal last night and Alex noticed that he still took on Dylan's body form despite being banished. The two of them stayed in her room till late and barely spoke, just random words here and there. Looking out of the window, Alex had noticed that some of the castle walls had been knocked down and that they were getting rebuilt. There was guards and builders all over the place and he also noticed down in the valley there was still smoke, meaning something was still burning.

Carcassone was left in ruins and he saw the damage himself when he took one of the horses for a ride. The place didn't look the same when he first came and everyone watched him with terror. He felt bad and decided to help the villagers and they all thanked him by giving him gifts of whatever produce they had left. Alex didn't feel he had the right to take the produce so with permission from the castle and the towns-people he donated it all to the poor who where very thankful. But Alex, still felt guilty, thinking of his deadly secret. If anyone found out about it, he would most certainly not see the light of another day.

When he arrived back at the stables, he noticed that Dennis was no-where to be seen and when he asked around, they said his name was not to be spoken within the castle ever again. Confused, Alex continued with his daily work, but not without attempting to check on Avery every once in  a while. The princess was unresponsive, not just to him but to everyone else. They all believed it was from the shock of the battle but none knew the real reason. 

Alex felt peckish so headed for the kitchen. He was caught up, once again in the mayhem of the culinary life and he ended up peeling potatoes again. Looking around, Alex noticed that Edith had disappeared too and now a new lady had replaced her. Estelle was younger and very pretty and Alex couldn't help but feel a slight attraction towards her. She was charming and humorous and he could also tell she was very shy. After gazing at the young beauty before him for awhile, he realized that an angry cook stood above him, saying something to him in French. Alex then noticed he hadn't peeled one potato and so apologized and blushed as he quickly peeled the sack of potatoes before him. A shadow stood over him and Alex rolled his eyes.

"Standing over me is not going to make me peel these potatoes any faster. And besides I don't even work in the kitchen..." Alex said as he let out an irritated sigh. He heard a light giggle behind him he turned around to see Estelle standing over him. She sat on the stool next to him and picked up a knife.

"I was hoping it would. I'm Estelle, by the way. New here and head of the kitchen," Her shimmery voice ringed in Alex's head making him smile at the goddess before him. 

"I'm Alex, and welcome to the castle," He said finally and she smiled at his politeness. She looked at him with blue eyes before looking back at the potato in her hand.

"Alex, if you do not work in the kitchen, why are you here?" Estelle said casually and Alex let out a deep breath.

"I was feeling hungry so I walked in here and well, then this happened," Alex motioned to the potato sack and Estelle nodded with agreement, 

"Where do you work then?" 

"With the horses. I've been doing a lot of work as the other worker, Dennis has suddenly disappeared so I'm pretty exhausted..." Alex said but he noticed Estelle's cold hand on his mouth.

"Don't ever say his name again out loud, understand?" Estelle said sternly and Alex nodded as he saw Estelle's face right in his. She nodded at him and removed her hand.

"Everyone keeps saying that to me but no-one has actually told me why," Alex muttered but maybe to loud as Estelle heard and let out a sigh of frustration. She put down her potato and knife and took hold of Alex's arm. He dropped his potato and knife too as Estelle pulled him up. She shouted something in French to the workers and two of them quickly came and sat down where they were minutes ago. Estelle faced Alex.

"Come with me," She practically whispered and he followed the young maid out of the kitchen. They came to a small room with what he guessed was one of the many bedrooms made up for the cooks. Estelle closed the door and ushered for Alex to sit down and on one of the beds. Estelle walked over to him and sat down opposite him and she let out a shaky breath.

"Alex, where were you when the castle was under attack?" 

Alex froze. No-body had asked him that before so what did he say?

"Uhm... I was helping the guards load the horses with battle-equipment. I was very busy."

Estelle studied his face for awhile before she spoke again.

"So, what happened after the battle, where were you then?" 

"I...fell ill with something so I was resting for awhile. I was completely oblivious to what was going on around me. Why?"Alex spoke casually and Estelle's eyes showed fear. 

"What I'm about to tell you is for your ears only. Everyone in the palace was told not to mention their names again but I know all of this because I replaced one of them..." Estelle said practically whispering. Alex nodded his head and Estelle let another shaky breath go before she started to talk. 

"A day before the battle ended, Dennis and Edith were spotted together. We didn't say anything because they were mother and son but when we saw them with Duke Destrey, we panicked, and fought for their freedom but we were proved wrong. All of this time, Dennis and Edith have been spies, working for the evil duke, getting as much information on the princess as possible. Dennis started a relationship with someone who know the princess well but no-body knew who. This woman, told Dennis everything she knew about the castle and the princess and he sent it all back to Edith who told the Duke. That is why it was easy for Destrey to attack the castle because he knew everything. When we all learnt of their betrayal, the King condemned them to death but they were saved by Destrey who took them and they finally retreated. No-body has seen the princess since that day, not even her parents. She hasn't spoken to anyone as she cannot trust anyone any more. It's all quite frankly sad but Duke Destrey said he'd return, frightening us all. The whole of Carcassone is cleaning up after that sorrowful battle, waiting for his return but we have to be ready so everyone is getting battle-training. As for Dennis and Edith, their names and themselves are banned from Carcassone but we all are dreading that awful day when the Duke returns. So Alex, now you know, so please for your sake and mine, do not ever say their names again, understand?" 

Alex stared at Estelle with great fear. How could Dennis do this? They were friends and he turned his back on him like this. Alex nodded at Estelle who quietly got up and headed for the door. 

"Uhm...Alex, it was nice meeting you and everything but I suggest you return to work in the stables," Estelle said calmly. Alex heard the door open and close before he got up. He kicked the small table located next to the bed before he grabbed his hair with so much anger. Dennis not only betrayed Carcassone but him. How could his friend do this to him? Alex frowned and then Avery came to his mind. She had to know. Estelle banned him from saying anything but he had to tell her so they could find out who did this to her. He ran for the door and headed up to the princess's bedroom, not caring who saw him.

***

Avery was surprised by Alex's sudden entry. He never came into her room during the day. When she saw the concern and anger on his face she knew something was wrong.

"Alex, what is it? Are you okay?" Avery said as he closed the door quietly. He faced her again and Avery noticed his tears. He broke down and she held him close and tight. Never had she ever seen a man cry before and she was still shocked at the vulnerability of him. She guided him over to the bed as it was the closest and they sat . He continued to cry and Avery comforted him. Eventually he stopped and Avery saw the anger in his eyes. 

"Alex, please tell me what is wrong?" Avery said as she used her thumb to wipe away his tears. Alex composed himself before he spoke and he told Avery everything that Estelle had told him and all of his thoughts afterwards.

When he had finished, Avery had dropped her hands and she sat back on her bed, leaning against the wall, hugging her knees. She cried into her lap and Alex moved back with her and the two of them comforted each other. When Avery had collected herself, she looked at Alex.

"Why would someone do this to me? I've only ever been the best princess anyone could ask for so how could someone hate me and betray me?" Avery had dropped her knees and now leaned her head on Alex's shoulder.

"I don't know Avery but you and me have both lost the trust of people close to us," Alex said through a croaky voice. Avery looked at him with question.

"How do you know it was someone close to me? It could be anyone," Avery said as she moved her head from his shoulder suddenly. She looked at him with stern eyes and he looked away before he spoke.

"Avery, no-body could know that much about you unless you told them. And exactly how did Dennis know that you liked archery, if you'd never seen or heard of him before?" Alex asked and Avery looked away from him.

"The only person that knew I liked archery was Olivia but she seems to have drifted away..." Avery's voice trailed off as she looked at Alex again. They both stared at each other for what looked like a long time but it was all cut off when Avery jumped off the bed and headed for the door. Alex followed her running next to her as she headed for Olivia's bedroom. 

"Avery stop! You can't go over there and confront her! It could be any one and it isn't right to accuse her of this!" Alex said as he stopped in front of Avery.

"Alex, she was the only one that knew that much about me. She wasn't supposed to tell anyone. And even if it wasn't her, she still told someone and word must've spread! And besides, she's very suspicious," Avery said as she pushed past Alex and he walked beside her again.

"Why?" Alex said as they turned a corner. Avery stopped and Alex stopped with her and she looked at him.

"That night I helped you escape the dungeon, I walked through this hall-way and past Olivia's room. I heard noises in her room, she was in there talking to someone. A man and they were talking about running away together and getting married. After that, Olivia's attitude towards changed, she dressed in provocative ways and was shouting at everyone. I barely saw her after that. So even if it wasn't her, we need to talk!" Avery finished and started walking again.

Alex followed Avery and they arrived at Olivia's bedroom. Avery knocked on the door, politely first and waited for a response. Losing her patience, Avery banged on the door with her leg and two fists and screamed for Olivia to open up. After a while, Avery heard locks unbolting and Olivia opened the door.

Avery gasped at her appearance. Her golden locks were messy and she was in her night shift. Her eyes were big, red and swollen and in her hand was a handkerchief. Olivia almost slammed the door in her face but Alex stopped it. Upon seeing him, Olivia moved out of the way allowing Avery and Alex to enter. Avery noticed Olivia's room was a mess. There were dresses everywhere, her bed was hidden underneath cloaks and shawls. The mirror on her table was broken and her floor was very dirty. Avery noticed Olivia walk over to the chairs in the corner by her window after she'd closed the door.

"What do you want? You do know you're not allowed to see me? And why do you have a horse boy with you? Isn't he supposed to be working?" Olivia said so coldly, Avery felt her cold voice voice send shivers down her spine. Olivia was glaring at Alex and he started to feel uncomfortable so Avery walked in front of the glare and looked down at her friend.

"I can see you when I like and no-body can stop me..." Avery turned to face Alex and put her hand out for him to take. He took it and he walked forward. "...This is Alex, a friend. He is also a horse boy and a much better friend to me then you were over the past few weeks..." Avery's voice trailed off when she heard Olivia whimper. Avery let Alex's hand go and sat down next to Olivia. She placed a hand on her shoulder and Olivia then cried into her lap. The princess comforted her friend as she cried a monsoon and Avery tilted her head towards the chair, ushering Alex to sit down. 

Eventually Olivia stopped crying and she sat up and dried her eyes. She smiled at Alex and he smiled back.

"Olivia, please tell me what is going on? I'll listen and I won't be angry, I promise!" Avery spoke with such kindness, Olivia couldn't say no. 

"You know how I was supposed to marry Francois, the general's son. I disliked him immediately because I had never met him and people said he was a greedy and selfish man. I know I shouldn't have because these were just tales, but everyone was saying the same thing. I was slightly upset of my husband choice so while walking around the castle, I met Dennis, the horse boy. And he was so nice and sweet to me. Our friendship blossomed and I always spent time with, every night, he came to my room and he was all mine. I told him everything and he was honest with me, or at least I thought he was. I told him stuff about you as well, I don't know why, but he wanted to know. After some meetings, he told me he saw you practising witch-craft! I was shocked and he said he had proof. He saw you making potions and stuff and I remembered a little box with bottles of potions in them. I believed him because I'd seen the proof myself and I really didn't want to disappoint him so that was why I kept my distance from you. He told me we could run away together and get married and I was convinced that was what he wanted, But once again, I was wrong. The battle commenced and so much happened over three days. I learnt that Dennis was working for Duke Destrey and my heart-broke. Destrey told your parents that he'd learnt everything about you to make it easy to kill you and that was when I learnt that Dennis was only using me to get information on you! I was betrayed and after the battle, mother was furious with me. Your parents were just as bad and everyone in the castle turned their backs to me. Word spread of my betrayal so everyone in Carcassone and beyond had heard and it reached Francois's family. They immediately called off the wedding, I was slightly relieved then upset when my mother said no-on would marry me now! I feel I've let everyone down, all of France. But that's not why I'm so upset. Your father has found me another suitor who has also messed up his life slightly. We are to be married as soon as the town is cleared up and then I must leave Carcassone forever," Olivia's last few words echoed in Avery's head. But everything the princess's best friend had said to her was ringing non-stop. Avery pulled a face of disgust towards Olivia, and she'd noticed. The princess got up and walked out of the door. 

"Avery! Please listen to me!" Olivia called for her but Avery continued walking. She was hurt and confused. So many emotions were going through her head she didn't know how to feel. Avery felt a hand on her shoulder and stopped when she realized it was Alex. He gave her a sad look causing the princess to break-down in his arms. Olivia soon caught up to them and she too cried. Alex held the two friends as they whimpered into his chest but even he couldn't hold his tears back. They'd all been hurt by someone who linked back to each of them;

Avery had been hurt by Dylan, who was to marry Selenita, who's soul-mate was Alex, who's best friend was Dennis, who was involved with Olivia, to get information on Avery for Duke Destrey. It all linked back to the evil Duke and then Alex retreated from the hug. The two girls comforted each other and made up but Alex thought long and hard. 

'Dennis and Edith were working for Argon and he doesn't like his workers turning against him. So why are Dennis and Edith informing Destrey instead of Argon?' Alex though as he rubbed his chin but then when he realized the truth his eyes grew wide and the two friends stared at him. 

"Alex, what is it?" Avery said though sniffles. 

"Avery, you must come with me instantly!" Alex said as he grabbed the princess's wrist, Avery shook off his grip and stared at him.

"Alex, tell me what is going on because I refuse to go with you unless you inform me!" Avery spoke sternly and Alex let out a frustrated sigh.

"Avery please just come with me!"

"No!"

Alex grabbed his hair and pulled it but then looked at Avery. He had to tell her everything he'd just worked out but Olivia was standing right there and he couldn't tell if Olivia would believe that Avery was supernatural. But Avery had to know, it was the truth and then maybe she'd come with him. But telling her would also mean his secret would be revealed and he couldn't watch Avery break-down and cry again, because it would kill him.

Alex looked at Avery's eyes and tried to work out how she was feeling; upset, confused, angry? He walked over to her and was right in her face. He let out a deep breath before he dropped the bomb, not caring about the consequences. 

"Duke Destrey is Argon..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

514K 27.7K 55
Clara Avery was a normal human girl. Or, at least, that was what she'd been made to believe. And yet amidst the dying flames of her ruined car, the f...
4.3K 479 63
Formerly titled 'The Vampire Prince' . . Willow must find a way to break her father's curse to prevent him from dying, and in pursuit of it, she acci...
343K 19.7K 49
THIS STORY IS NOW FREE! When a newlywed princess discovers her Prince Charming is married to six other royals, she brings the outraged spouses toget...
9.5K 248 33
When Elena's childhood friend, a French prince and his sister, arrive in Avalor, they bring with them a sense of adventure and mystery. As Elena and...