Chapter 4 - Treason

CHAPTER 4 - TREASON

************************************************************************************************************

Avery looked out of the carriage that was taking Olivia and her to the market. Her eyes widened with excitement. The town centre was full of people just buzzing away and doing their daily chores. The old church was getting work done to it and men were sitting outside resting and catching up with one another. Women were shopping and keeping their children under control as well as catching up on the latest gossip. Avery could smell pies as they passed the food stalls with lots of tasty food such as pigeon pie and Avery felt her stomach rumble. This must have been the stall that Henrietta was talking about, the one with all the lovely, tasty food that made you want more. Avery thought to herself that she had to make a side stop.

The carriage stopped at the grand water feature in the centre of the marketplace. Avery and Olivia gathered their skirts and baskets and the carriage door opened. Before stepping out, their driver announced their arrival.

"I present to you Princess Avery of Carcassone and Lady Olivia Wenlock," The driver said as he escorted Avery and Olivia out of the carriage. Many people stopped what they were doing as this was a rare moment for the village folk and everyone wanted a glimpse of the young princess and her companion.  Avery smiled and waved at everyone before she and Olivia set off in the opposite direction. People were talking and smiling at the princess, some ladies even curtsying. Avery liked this. The attention was on her and her best friend, not her parents. Avery was still gobsmacked at the immense beauty of the market place. The stalls were incredible with lots of different things being sold from fruit to haberdashery.  Avery felt Olivia tug at her sleeve.

"Come on, Avery. Stop day-dreaming," Olivia said as she pulled her sideways. Avery came back to reality and then followed Olivia who had been in the market many times without royalty so she knew where all the good stalls were. Avery was excited and couldn't keep her excitement contained.

"I want to see some dresses. I really need some comfortable shoes, where's the shoe stall? I want to taste some market pigeon pie, Henrietta says its lovely. Where can I get some ribbons for my hair and to make bracelets." Avery went on and on about all the things she wanted to do and see and buy while she was here. 

Olivia rolled her eyes. She had her own things to do while she was at the market yet still look after and do whatever Avery wanted to do. She made Avery face her and took hold of her arms.

"Listen Avery. Yes you are a princess and it is your first time here but you have to listen to me. This market may look very beautiful and everything but it is also very dangerous. There are thieves and pick-pockets so keep your belongings close and please do not walk away from me because if I lose you, your parents will finish me," Olivia said calmly but Avery could tell she was panicking. Avery nodded her head and Olivia took her arm in hers and they both set off down the dusty pathway...

***

"How lovely are these ribbons and beads," said Avery as she and Olivia sat down by the water feature. They had been exploring and conversing with lots of people: young and old, Avery liked talking to the public without her parents' permission. Olivia smiled and ate her slice of pigeon pie. Avery had eaten hers and she felt it was a heaven in her mouth. Avery put the ribbons and wooden beads back into her basket and took out two books that she had bought. Avery loved romance novels and she heard Olivia let out a little laugh. 

"Why do you read those? They poison your mind with all that prince-in-shining-armour nonsense," Olivia said as she finished her pigeon pie and got up while fixing her skirts. 

"Believe what you want Olivia. You're getting married so you can't dream of love anymore. I, however can. They don't poison your mind, they make you look at life and people differently. And I know one day, I will live happily ever after..." Avery had gotten up and was walking next to Olivia who was heading to the fruit stall. She could see that she was mocking her voice. 

"...And I can see you really don't care. Oh well, Olivia, I have permission to fantasise about the future and love. And one day my prince will come and I will gloat about it to you because you have no faith in me," Avery said as she watched Olivia collect some apples. 

"Okay, Okay you will find your prince, but until then, you can promise me that until I get married you cannot talk about all of this 'happily ever after' nonsense, okay?" Olivia said as she paid for the fruit.

They headed back down the market to see what else they could see. Avery seemed happy and she didn't want anything, not even Olivia's negative views about love to ruin it. She knew why Olivia was so against love as Olivia did once have a sweetheart that she loved very dearly. No-body in the palace could find out about it because all royals had arranged marriages. Olivia loved her sweetheart very much and she wanted to marry him, but he had other ideas. He sent Olivia an invite to a special occasion saying that it would change her life forever. Avery went along with her as she thought it would have been a proposal - but she was wrong. Olivia's sweetheart had sent Olivia an invite to his wedding with his long-term sweetheart. Olivia was heart-broken and she was not eating for days and Henrietta obviously got curious. Avery had promised Olivia that she wouldn't say anything but she needed her mother right now. So Avery told Henrietta everything. Yes, she was shocked and betrayed but she supported her daughter. Henrietta told the King and that traitor that hurt Olivia was tortured for adultery. The King and Queen knew Olivia was in pain but they couldn't let it leave the palace that one of their own had an affair with a man who was with someone else. So now, Olivia is getting married to a Lord she doesn't even know but soon they'll meet and hopefully Olivia can learn to love again.

Avery recalled that horrible memory from just looking at the hurt on Olivia's face when she was talking about love and Princes. Avery decided to stop talking and start smiling but Olivia just started laughing at her smile, making Avery stop smiling and look normal. The two continued walking through the market, slowly as it was time to go home. But that is how the young ladies and expected it to be...

Olivia stopped at stall that was selling pot-purri and Avery was talking to a young girl who had picked a flower for the princess. Avery accepted the flower with a smile and nod and as she got up, birds suddenly flew over her. Lots of them and they came from the wood just before the cliff side. Olivia noticed this and saw the terror in Avery's face.

"Avery, don't worry. They must've seen a bear or something," Olivia said above the noise. Avery nodded with agreement and turned her attention back to the little girl although Avery couldn't stop thinking of the sudden movement of the birds.

Just as Avery turned around, something flew right past her. It was fast and sharp and Avery knew what it was. She had seen it before as she had used it to go hunting once with her parents. Avery turned and followed where the sharp object had landed to put her curiosity at peace. She saw it there and then, an arrow. With feathers on the end of it and a silver blade at the front, Avery knew this arrow was made to hurt someone. Whether it had done its duty she didn't know but she shook her head and headed back to Olivia who was still smelling pot-purri...

"Princess, watch out!" said a man as he jumped in front of Avery. An arrow, not the same, but from the same direction, came plummeting towards Avery but the man took the arrow for her. Avery jumped back and screamed so loudly as she ran to the man. Olivia and the guard heard this scream and came running to the Princess so quickly as a flash of lightening. Olivia could see that Avery was scared and terrified and just as she ran over to Avery, another arrow came this time heading for Olivia. Olivia saw this coming so she duck and crawled to Avery who was sitting whimpering over the dead man. Avery saw Olivia coming towards her and she got up and ran to her. The village doctor was called immediately and village guards went on the hunt for the murderer. Avery's guard quickly escorted the princess and her companion into the carriage and the whole village was seen trying to recall what just happened as it all happened all so quickly...

Avery was in the carriage, safe, she wasn't sure, but she was with Olivia who was comforting her as she cried her eyes. She saw a murder right in front of her eyes and not only that but the murderer was aiming for her. Somebody in the village wanted her dead...