Chapter 22 - The Sacrafice

CHAPTER 22 - THE SACRAFICE

************************************************************************************************************

He couldn't believe it. She had looked her own mother in the eye and lied to her. She had looked him in the eye and lied. Anton let out deep shaky breaths to keep himself calm but how could he be calm when his own daughter was about to be burned at the stake for witchcraft? The princess of Carcassone, the only heir didn't need a trial, as all the proof and just happened, right in front of everyone, with many witnesses. And now the family name, and the royal family would forever be tarnished and no-more. He looked up at his daughter with teary eyes and saw the fear in Avery's eyes. She turned her head knowing someone was watching her but he quickly turned away.

Avery was more confused than anyone. She was being dragged to the stake, yet the real criminal was standing before them. Avery watched as guards slowly started to surround Argon but he just danced and celebrated and laughed. Avery cursed under her breath. This was supposed to be a happy day. She'd left Enchanted and all of its troubles behind the day she was banished but in one day and in a short amount of time, it had all come back to haunt her. 

Avery looked to her right and saw Troy, fighting to break from the ropes. He looked agitated and very angry. Next to him was Olivia who looked so vulnerable in her wedding dress.  She was in tears as this was her day but it had been ruined because of Avery's dark secret. Right next to Avery was Marigold. She seemed calm and was fighting or rebelling but still cool and collected. Avery sighed and wished she could have the same attitude as her. On Avery's left was Alex. He seemed really calm but Avery could see the frustration on his face. Avery just gazed at him and he noticed her. He turned his head to her and smiled making Avery smile back. 

"I didn't want it to end like this..." Alex's voice trailed as Avery followed his gaze to the floor.

"Me either," Avery said feeling slightly light-headed.

"So do something."

"What can I do, Alex? I'm a princess, crown princess if you prefer. I'm next in line to the Carcassone throne and I've done the most unimaginable and scandalous thing ever. I'm a witch in the eyes of everyone here and they all saw it. So no matter what I say or do, they'll never believe me..." Avery's voice trailed off as she noticed the Viscount arrive with the pope. They had the bible with them and fire on a plank of wood. Avery heard Alex laugh.

"Why is this whole situation so funny?" Avery said slightly annoyed at him.

"This might be the last time I see you so I wasn't sure whether I should tell you know or later," Alex said with a smile.

"Well, Alex. We're about to be burnt at the stake, so I think now would be a good time," Avery said slightly bemused by his comment. 

The wood bundle beneath the guilty party was set alight and slowly the fire started to burn. Avery felt the heat on her legs and she looked over at Alex who was staring at her.

"Avery, I'm in love with you and I have been ever since I first saw you. I tried to keep my feelings a secret but it didn't work because I've slowly pushed you away. I hated Dylan when I found out he was your soul-mate and I hated my self for falling in love with a mated fairy. But Avery, now is the end for us and I'd thought I'd let you know..." Alex's voice slowly trailed off as the fire roared loudly around them. Avery just stared at him, eyes wide open. She didn't know how to reply to that. She looked away from him and heard him let out a laugh.