Cell Mates (boyxboy) (Book 1:...

By DoUbLeZone

Arrested for a crime he didn't commit, eighteen year old Riley Parker is thrown into a maximum security pris... More

Chapter 1: Walk of shame
Chapter 2: Jail Crews
Chapter 3: The Assignment
Chapter 4: Beans
Chapter 5: Escape.
Chapter 6: More than just a delivery boy.
Chapter 7: Just a kiss.
Chapter 8: Lock down.
Chapter 10: Comprehension dawns.
Chapter 11: Those damning words.
Chapter 12: Solitary.
Chapter 13: Cover..blown.
Chapter 14: Visiting hours.
Chapter 15: Breakdown
Chapter 16 : Hope from a stranger.
Chapter 17: Johnny boy
Chapter 18: Heat Wave.
Chapter 19: No longer a boy.
Chapter 20: Chaos
Chapter 21: Through he trees.
Chapter 22: Path to freedom.
Chapter 23: Settle.
Chapter 24: Eddie.
Chapter 25: Detective John...Detective Nate.
Chapter 26: Jyle
Chapter 27: Love and Friendship.
Chapter 28: Verdict
Chapter 29: Everything changes.
Chapter 30: Classified.
Chapter 31: Acceptance
Chapter 32: Poodles and huskies
Chapter 33: Sick day.
Chapter 34: Progress
Chapter 35 : Let's play pretend...
Notice.
Hurt, disappointed and angry
The show must go on
Chapter 36: Winding down
Chapter 37: Kelly
Chapter 38: Goodbye parade
Chapter 39: Low hanging branches.
Chapter 40: Stacks of metal.
Chapter 41: Family.
Chapter 42: Remembering Kyle. (Part 1)
Chapter 43: Remembering Kyle (Part 2)
Cell Mates has been published!
Cell Mates has been fully released on Wattpad (Bonus Chapter has been posted!)
Bonus Chapter: One Year Later

Chapter 9: Pillow talks.

278K 7.1K 5K
By DoUbLeZone

Chapter 9

~Riley’s POV~

The next few days were spent much like all the others with the addition of our passion fueled nights of course. There was no end to it and the more we carried on the more I wanted him.

My need for him almost crossed the line to addiction but I learned to reign in even my most fervent urges during the day when we had to mesh with the others and even then, sometimes Nathan and I both slipped up.

We’d gotten so accustomed to spending time together; touching and talking, that in the public space of the prison yard, sometimes I’d find myself reaching to touch his hand or make a joke and had to catch myself mid act before the others caught on.

Even this afternoon as we’d sat in the cafeteria eating lunch, Nathan had unconsciously reached over to brush a crumb from my cheek and it was only when he was halfway through the act that he seemed to realize what he was doing and put a stop to it. Luckily the others hadn’t noticed but it made me realize just how difficult keeping the secret had become and I hoped for the sake of what we had that it never got out.

We had to be more careful.

It was with that thought that I sat farther away from him than usual that day. The others didn’t comment on the move but they kept shooting looks between me and Nathan who was, as always, focused on more important things.

He sat scribbling something in a small notepad and I rolled my eyes at him when he looked over at me briefly. Leave it to Nathan to be brave enough to bring a pencil out into the yard. Everyone knew they weren’t allowed out of the library because of the fear they would be used as weapons.

He hadn’t even made an attempt to conceal it and I wondered if it was stupidity rather than courage that led him to act so recklessly.

“You know if the guards catch you with that you’re screwed right?” I spoke up, ever the worry wart when it came to his safety.

He looked over at me as did the others and regarded me with an amused smirk; “I’ve been here two years, I think I can take care of myself kid.” He said and I glared at him.

“Why don’t you give him a hug and a kiss too since you care so much.” John sneered.

You couldn’t remain in his sight for a good five minutes without feeling the urge to wrap your hands around his throat and squeeze until your arms got numb.

“I swear you act like a fucking kid sometimes John.” I retorted and the baldy had the nerve to chuckle.

“I know you have a problem with me being a part of this crew, but I am, so how about you just get over it already cause I’m just about sick of your attitude.” I challenged, fully prepared to get up in his face if he made a comeback I didn’t like.

“You’re both children, now shut up so I can concentrate.” Nathan spoke up cutting off whatever John was about to say and we both turned our glares on him.

“No wonder you’re best friends.” I grumbled.

“What was that smartass?” John started again but Nathan saved me from replying.

“We’re gonna have to ease up on the deliveries for a few weeks, we stretched it out too long this time.We can’t have them getting suspicious.” He said and everyone’s attention was on him in that second.

“Suspicious over what?” I questioned almost immediately but as usual they ignored me.

“We can probably get in three more then, once a month before we leave.” Eddie said and I didn’t fail to catch the look Nathan and John sent his way.

My eyes narrowed. “Leave? Wait, what’s going on? What’d you mean leave?” This time my eyes darted from John, to Eddie, to Nathan and back but neither of them offered an answer, instead Nathan tried to shrug it off as unimportant.

“Don’t read anything into it Riley.” he said then turned back to John.

“I’ve been a part of this crew for months now, why can’t you guys just trust me?” I appealed, hurt by their distrust.

“Trust you? What do we know about you kid? Other than the fact that you’re a murderer who was stupid enough to get caught?” John said and I looked at Nathan for support.

He had none to offer.

“Like I said, it’s nothing to get worked up over.” he said pointedly then I watched as he pushed up from his seat, making his way over to the fence where a guard stood waiting.

I quickly turned away from the others in annoyance. I’d try to get it out of Nathan later but I would be lying if I said I was confident I’d get him to talk.

…………………………………….

~Nathan’s POV~

I could see the tension set in his shoulders as I made my way to the fence, either he had big news or the operation was getting to him and I hoped it wasn’t the latter. So just in case he was about to tell me something I didn’t want to hear I decided to give him my update first.

“We’re putting the info exchange on hold for awhile, we’ll just sell the contraband for now.” I told him and he nodded in understanding.

“How long will it be this time?” he asked.

“Three weeks, maybe less, I’ll keep you updated.”

“Doesn’t matter anyway, turns out the lead was wrong. The guards aren’t in on it, none of the ones on my shift anyway. They’re clean.” He said and I gripped the fence and squeezed letting out my anger in that way rather than through the string of curses I had lined up in my head.

“Fuck!” one slipped.

The entire operation had just been one fucking disappointment after the other. Two years we’d been on the case, two years with nothing to show for it and in three months we’d be pulled from the op and for what? A few dead-end leads?

I couldn’t even imagine what Diego was going through. He was the one who’d really gone through a lot here. The moment we’d gotten here he’d installed himself into D-Fox’s crew in an attempt to get closer to the leader and it had taken him more than a year but he’d finally made it as D-Fox’s right hand man and it was clearly all for nothing.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Now was not the time to come loose.

“You ready to listen?” the guard-and did I mention…good friend David asked.

“Sure go on.” I flicked a wrist in his direction and he continued.

“Alright, so turns out D-Fox really is in on it but only as a side man…the real boss isn’t any of the guards it’s the warden Nate.” He told me seriously and if it was really possible to shit bricks my bowels would be as loose as an overused sock.

“The prison warden?” I hissed, moving even closer to the fence.

“Nate there’s a whole lot going on here than just a simple drug operation.” He told me and the fact that we both knew this operation was anything but simple told me things were getting even more fucked up.

The summed up, not so crazy version of it was that my crew and I, which consisted of over twenty five highly trained agents were selected by the bureau to lead the mission. We’d gotten wind of a large scale drug ring in our jurisdiction and after learning that the big man in charge was an inmate at the prison we’d infiltrated the system, going deep undercover to weed him out.

As difficult as it had been, it would have been a bit easier to handle if it had actually been an inmate who was in charge; but the warden? The one person here who had the badge of one of the most upstanding citizens around and a man with such a reputable character was behind it. It would be even harder to amass evidence on him. He’d been this careful so far and with only three months to go before we were pulled from the op I wasn’t confident we could pull it off.

“I’m gonna need to talk to the captain.” I told David then and he stared at me in surprise.

“You know we can’t bring the captain here, it’ll blow the entire bust.” He told me, looking at me as if I’d lost my mind in the few seconds it had taken him to break the news.

I shook my head. “No, not here. I need to meet him on the outside.”

And he was shaking his head before I could even complete my sentence.

“This isn’t a request David, it’s an order. Make it look like a court appeal date came up for me or something, you’re a smart guy, you’ll figure it out just get me on the outside as soon as possible. I need to have a sit down with the captain. Make sure the guards who escort me are all bureau agents and you need to be there too.” I continued.

“It’s not that easy Nate, the amount of paperwork we’ll have to file. The warden would have had to receive the notice of appeal in advance, signed and stamped by the proper authorities…I can’t have you out of here in just a few days. We’re under the radar for a reason, which means we don’t have the resources we would have if the entire bureau knew about the op.” he went on and if I could reach through the fence to shake him I would have.

“I know all that David, but you were selected to be a part of this mission for a reason so get it done or we’re all screwed, got it?”

“Jesus.” he sighed, then ran a hand through his hair. “I guess I don’t have a choice then. I’ll have to make it happen…somehow.” He continued.

“That’s what I want to hear… we don’t have much time so give me a rundown on what you found…”

…..……………………………….

~Riley’s POV~

I was just sitting there minding my own business when….

I’d always hated it when people began their stories that way, but that was exactly what I was doing when the guy came up to me that day. Nathan was still talking the guard and the others were talking among themselves and I was trying the soak up as much sun as possible when the stranger came up and blocked my rays.

I blinked up at him as he stood there looking down at me. Right off the bat I could tell he wasn’t entirely comfortable to be there and the quick glances he kept shooting John and even Nate who was across the yard told me that maybe it was just a little bit more than discomfort.

“Can I help you?” I asked a bit uncertainly. I recognized him as one of the new inmates they’d brought in about two weeks before but I’d only ever seen him from across the yard.

“Hey Riley, can I talk to you for a minute?” he spoke with a confidence that belied his earlier disposition and I straightened up in surprise when I realized he’d said my name.

“What do you need to talk to him about?” John was the first to speak and I felt that niggle of irritation I always did whenever he opened his mouth.

“Sure, what’s up?” I ignored john and instead focused on what the stranger had to say.

“Ugh…do you think I could talk to you…you know, just us?”

I looked at the others who were watching us, then I looked over to where Nathan stood across the yard and shrugged.

“Yeah okay.” I told him and made the conscious decision not to take our conversation too far away from the guys just in case this was some kind of set up.

He seemed content to stop just a few feet away, far enough so the others couldn’t hear what was being said, but close enough that my crew could keep an eye on us.

“I’m Kyle by the way.” He said when we’d come to a complete stop and I looked down at his outstretched hand and clasped it in my own.

“Riley.” I told him and he nodded with a smile.

“Yeah I know.” He said reminding me that he’s addressed me by name earlier.

I really looked at him then, taking in his size and his youthful features. He looked to be about a year or two older than I was and I wondered if the prison would soon be teeming with young people with the way things were going.

“So what is it?” I asked when he just stood there appraising me.

“I was just...you know...I thought maybe we could be friends.” He said with a small smile and I shook my head.

“You called me over here to ask if we can be friends?” I asked to be certain and he nodded. “I’ve got no time for games.” I said, turning away from him to make my way back over to the others.

This guy was clearly playing at something and I wasn’t going to be the idiot who fell for it but I felt him latch onto my upper arm before I could even take a step and when I whirled around, fully prepared to fight if necessary, I stopped short at the sight of his expression.

“I swear it’s not a game. You don’t know how it feels to be all alone here.” he said softly.

He looked so alone and sincere that I couldn’t bring myself to turn away from him because I knew exactly how it felt to be all alone. I was in his position when I first came and if it wasn’t for my crew I wasn’t sure how I would have survived.

So maybe Kyle was honestly just a lonely guy looking for a friend but that still didn’t answer one question;

“Why me?”

He finally let go of my arm and shrugged in response.

“I don’t know you just seem so…real and… less likely to kill me than the others.” He trailed off with a reluctant chuckle and I offered him a small smile.

I looked at him for a moment. “Okay, well I guess maybe it wouldn’t hurt to make a new friend.” I said still uncertain, but it brought a grin to his face putting some light on the awkward situation.

When we just stood staring at each other I tried to break the silence with small talk.

“So… how’d you get in?” I questioned, certain he wouldn’t tell me but to my surprise he was pretty open.

“Hit and run.” He offered with no visible signs of remorse. “No one was hurt or anything but I’d have still gotten a few years if my lawyer hadn’t worked his magic… so I’m here for three months plus lots of community service when I get out.” He told me and I nodded in understanding.

“You must have a really good lawyer.” Was the only thing I could come up with next.

“Yeah, my dad.”

“Your father’s your lawyer? wow; that’s pretty cool.”

He shrugged.

“What about you?” was his question and I figured I’d tell him just to gauge his response.

“Murder.” I said it as nonchalantly as possible but couldn’t help biting the inside of my cheek as I awaited his response.

“Murder huh?” he seemed to consider it. “So did you do it?”

That was the question that sealed the deal for me. He was the first one who hadn’t heard what I’d done and automatically assumed I was as guilty as they said. Maybe it really would be great having an actual friend here, even if it was just for a few months.

“No I’m innocent. I guess my lawyer just wasn’t as great as yours.” I said in good humor and he took it as such.

“Which cell block are you on anyway?” I asked moving to lean against the wall

“B block dude… I’m on the ground floor.”

I looked at him in surprise. “You’re on my block? How come I’ve never seen you there before?”

He chuckled. “Your cell mate’s got you on such a tight leash I wouldn’t be surprised if you noticed anything at all going on around you.” He finished and I flushed in embarrassed surprise.

“What’re you talking about?” I said trying to play it cool.

“Please, if any of us even look at you the wrong way he looks like he’s ready to tear our heads off.” He trailed off and I felt the blood rush to my face. “Kinda like the way he’s looking at me now.” Kyle continued and I followed his gaze to where Nathan stood.

It was only for a second but I caught him looking before he turned back to the guard and I felt a strange warmth bloom throughout my body.

……………………………………

~Nathan’s POV~

“Nate are you listening to me?”

I looked back at David who looked just as frustrated as I felt. I was trying to keep my eyes on Riley and his new friend. He’d practically shown up out of nowhere and I immediately didn’t trust him.

What did he want with Riley? And who the hell was he?

“Nate?” David called again and I dragged my attention back to the matter at hand.

“Sorry, what’d you say?”

“I said the cell mate transfer request you put in last month was approved. As soon as the supervisor signs off on it Riley will be out of your hair and on another block.” He explained.

“Shit I forgot about that…I’m gonna need you to cancel that, I made a mistake.” I told him as the buzzer sounded for the inmates to return to their blocks.

“We’ll finish this tomorrow.” I said making my way over to gate that would take the inmates back to the cell blocks.

……………………………………………

~Riley’s POV~

Late that night Nathan and I lay sweaty and sated after a heated episode. I was resting with my head on his bare chest while he ran his fingers through my hair. I was thinking about how perfect moments like this felt, when he spoke.

“What did that guy want today?” he asked, his voice just a little above a whisper.

“Kyle? A friend I guess.”

“A friend? Nobody just walks up to somebody in this place looking for a friend.”  And I sighed. I had a feeling it would go down this way. Nathan was a very cautious person, almost to the point of pessimism

“I know what you’re gonna say but I think he’s honestly just looking for a friend.”

“I don’t trust him.” Was his predictable reply.

“You don’t even know him, you’ve never even had one conversation with the guy, how do you know you can’t trust him?” I asked, turning my head to look at his face and his hand stilled in my hair.

“Instinct.”

“Yeah well my instincts say I should trust him and I do...and besides, what does it even matter if he has ulterior motives, I’m never gonna be alone with him or tell him secrets or whatever. I’m just gonna be his friend.” I explained and when I turned my head away again he ran his fingers through the strands.

He remained silent for so long that I decided to just ask the question that was rolling around in my mind.

“Are you jealous?” then held my breath as I waited for his answer.

“Is there something I should be jealous about?

“No.” I was quick to answer, “I was just wondering.”

He fell silent once more.

“Kyle said you look at me like I belong to you.” I chuckled when I said it but strained to hear his response.

“Well Kyle is seeing things.” He said but the slight tensing of his body as he said the words told me another story and I fought to keep my grin in check.

“Just be careful Riley, you don’t know anything about this guy.” He said then sounding like his usual serious self.

“If I didn’t know better I’d say you actually care.” I said softly then fell silent not knowing what else to say.

“Of course I care…just because we have rules doesn’t mean I don’t care what happens to you.” He moved to sit up forcing me to do the same and we sat there in the silence with our backs against the wall.

“I’m not some heartless asshole Riley. I might not want anything serious, but I wouldn’t stand aside and watch something happen to you and not do something about it, so if that’s what you’ve been thinking get it out of your head.” He continued his tone one of warning.

I hated when he got serious like this, it always made me feel guilty and it always took a lot to take him out of his mood.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek a little then took a deep breath and tried to change the subject.

“I can’t wait to see Jerry tomorrow.” I told him.  He knew that Jerry hadn’t been able to visit me ever since the lockdown and I missed him.

“What time’s he coming?” he asked and I was glad he let the other subject die.

“In the morning.” I grinned up at him. “He’s bringing me some more novels.”

“That’s something to look forward to.” He commented disinterestedly and I nodded.

The mood from earlier was lost. I could feel the tension in the air and I sighed in frustration. Leave it to me to ruin a great moment.

“Look Nathan I’m sorry I implied you didn’t care, but I don’t think you’re heartless, I know the type of person you are I was just kidding.” I told him but as much as he was playing it down I knew he was hurt that I’d imply that he didn’t care when I knew he did...even if it wasn’t at the level I wanted.

“It’s cool…maybe we should just get some sleep.”

 He slid down into the covers again and I moved to accommodate him.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked then.

“Sure.”

“Are you and the guys planning to escape? Is that what the whole conversation was about today?” I needed to know.

“Jesus, not this again.” He groaned and rolled onto his side and away from me.

“Well are you?” what did he really expect me to think if he was always keeping secrets from me.

“No Riley, we’re not planning an escape, we’re gonna serve out our sentences and leave when we’re legally permitted.” He was getting annoyed now but I felt like I had a right to be annoyed too.

“Then what were you guys talking about then? What did Eddie mean by leaving?”

“You misunderstood… it’s not a big deal…can we just drop this?” he still hadn’t turned around to look at me.

“I wish you’d just tell me…I’m swear I’ll keep it to myself.” I told him, pulling his arm to get him to face me and he finally relented.

“You’ll know everything when the time is right.” He said earnestly and I tried not to doubt his words.

“Would you take me with you if you were escaping?” I think it was desperation that made me ask. I couldn’t deal with it if he left me here and something told me he was lying about the escape situation.

“Riley…” he started in exasperation.

“If you were…if I said...if you were gonna escape, would you take me with you?”

“Yeah...yeah I’d take you with me. Happy now?” he reached up to pull me down to his level and I tried to pull back, giggling like a little girl when his hands started gliding over my ticklish spots.

“Stop.” I was giggling so much I barely got the word out and I pushed against him again trying to dislodge his hold.

“You done asking questions?” he asked. I could hear the laughter in his voice as he continued the assault and I twisted and turned trying to escape his hold but he was relentless.

“I’m done I’m done.” I got out and he stopped, pulling me against him again, this time so that we were spooning and once more I found myself thinking how much I loved these moments.

“You’re the moodiest person I know.” I sighed in contentment and he nipped at my ear lobe.

“I swear I don’t know how I’d manage if you weren’t here, you’ve made it so much easier for me.” I told him honestly.

“You’d be fine.” was his reply but I was already shaking my head.

“No I wouldn’t but I’m glad you’re here…I just want you to know that.” I continued and I got another ear nip as a reward and I laughed at his antics.

“I definitely wouldn’t leave you behind if I was escaping cause you’d drive your next cellmate crazy with all your talking.” He joked and I elbowed him lightly in the ribs.

“Shut up, you just don’t wanna admit  how much you’d miss me if you left me behind.”

“Cocky aren’t we?” he said with a laugh and I wriggled closer to him.

We fell silent after that both lost in our own heads and not long after, his breathing evened out and he was asleep. Our pillow talk was over for the night but I wasn’t sure what to think of it all. I had so many questions and I didn’t know what to do to get him to trust me enough to answer them.

                                             AUTHOR'S NOTES

I HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT HOW THIS CHAPTER CAME OUT BUT I'M GONNA WORK WITH IT ANYWAY...LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

KEEP SWEET <3

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 1.4K 34
In an all boys boarding school surrounded by football players 18 year olds Alex, Sam, Jason and Parker have two years left in school. Two years, to f...
159K 6.5K 44
Highest Rankings: #1 Interracial #2 LGBT/LGBTQ #2 Gay #2 highschool #3 Wattpride #5 Boyxboy #17 ManxMan Mason Moore and Mark Tyler have been friends...
127K 7.8K 38
Luca Chessman has been longing for love his entire life. The only problem is-he can't seem to find a guy that likes him the same way. With his famil...
1.3M 43.4K 20
[BoyxBoy - Completed] Jake and Lee are two very close best friends who spend most of their time around each other. Sometimes they like to mess around...