Into the Fire(Maze Runner)- N...

By SakuyaVolcom

A new Greenie arrived in the box every month like clockwork. It was always a boy, too..never failed. But, thi... More

1. Welcome To The Glade
2. Let's Dance
3. Shuck Faced Slinthead
A/N:
4. Stung
5. The Keeper And The New Greenie
6. Attempted Murder And The Wooden Figurine
7. Please Don't Die
8. Clara, Leader Of The Glade
A/N:
10. Thomas Arrives
11. Banished
12. I Knew This Was A Bad Idea
IMPORTANT!
13. Chaos, Apologies, and Revelations
14. As If Things Weren't Bad Enough
15. I Love You
I'm sorry.
16. Revenge
17. Thomas, You Slinthead!
18. Decisions
19. Confessions
20. To The Griever Hole
21. The Unexpected Happens
22. End
Cover Preview
Please Read
Had to share these with you
Covers
Ship Names?
So sorry!
I Feel Like I Really Needed To Update.

9. Everything's Going To Change

687 22 32
By SakuyaVolcom

Disclaimer: As everyone already knows, I do NOT own The Maze Runner series, any of the characters, OR the ideas! They all belong to James Dashner. The only thing I own are my characters.

A/N: This chapter takes place a few days after Clara falls asleep with Newt under 'her' tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to a sharp pain shooting through my stomach. It felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing me and twisting the knife as slowly as possible just to make it hurt more, all while punching me in the same spot at the same time. I groaned and clutched at my stomach as I ripped the cover off of my body and tried my best to stand up. I gripped the sheets as my body doubled over and my eyes immediately locked onto red. A metallic scent invaded my nostrils and my stomach turned violently as I stared at the big blood stain on my white sheets. My eyes widened in horror as I searched my body, looking for some sort of cut. When my eyes met with my blood stained pants, I gasped. What the klunk?!

For some reason, this felt familiar. But, I just couldn't quite put my finger on what was happening to me. The 'knife' twisted inside my lower stomach once more and my face scrunched up in a grimace as I whimpered. I slowly made my way to a corner of my room, just barely catching a glimpse of a bright red light sweeping my room through the window. Stupid shuck faced Beetle Blades..Like I need the Creators seeing me like this!

I huffed irritably as I slid into a sitting position and pulled my knees to my chest, clutching at my stomach as the pain grew. I sat there for what seemed like hours, only faintly hearing the Box being opened. Must be supplies..It isn't time for a new Greenie yet. I slowly lowered my body onto the ground, settling for the fetal position as I hugged my knees to my chest. Ugh, I feel like klunk. This isn't fair!

I closed my eyes and just laid there on the floor, not wanting anyone to see me like this. But, of course, someone decided to walk in at that moment. Ughhhhh, I have terrible luck! I heard the person drop something onto the floor and run toward me. I opened my eyes as they knelt beside me and placed a strong hand on my shoulder. My eyes met with Gally's worried orbs. Wait, worried?

"Clara?! What the shuck happened to you? There's blood everywhere! Did someone..uh, hurt you?"

I blinked a few times before finally understanding what he meant. My face turned bright red as I glared at him.

"W-What?! No, ew, Gally! Ugh, I just woke up and I was bleeding and it hurts! So, if you don't mind could you keep your klunky comments to yourself?!"

Gally's eyebrows scrunched together as his jaw clenched tightly.

"What the klunk, Shank?! I'm just trying to help! You're going to bleed to death if you just lay here! I'm gonna go get Clint and Jeff."

"No! Just leave me the shuck alone, Gally! I just want everyone to leave me alone!"

I saw hurt in Gally's features before anger replaced it. I felt really bad for yelling at him like that, but he was making me mad and I didn't even know why. He stood up and dropped a bag and a note in front of me before storming to the door and yanking it open. Before storming out of my room, he spoke, his voice laced with venom. I flinched at his tone.

"Whatever, Clara. That came for you in the shuck box a few minutes ago. It was the only thing in it. Get someone to come get me when you lose your shuck attitude and decide you want to go back to being the normal Clara."

He slammed the door shut behind him and I whimpered as I blinked back tears. My emotions are all over the place. What the shuck is wrong with me?! I slowly picked up the note and unfolded it before I began to read.

'Clara. We saw your...predicament. In the bag is information as to what is happening to you since you can't remember as well as..supplies to stop the bleeding. There is also medicine to ease the pain. Good luck, Hope you feel better soon. Don't show this note to anyone else. We weren't supposed to help you, but we did it anyway. You're welcome.

                                                                                                                  -T'

I blinked a few times as I re-read the note. We weren't supposed to help? Who the klunk is 'we'? And who is 'T'? Obviously one of the we's. I'm so dumb sometimes! I rolled my eyes at my thoughts as I opened the bag and looked inside. I pulled out a handful of papers and began to read through them. By the time I was done, my face was bright red with embarrassment. A period? I really couldn't remember that I was supposed to bleed once a month?! Ugh! I threw my hands up in frustration before I pulled out a box labelled 'tampons'. I pulled the instructions out and my face turned an even brighter shade of red once I read how to use them. I facepalmed and slowly got to my feet.

"And just how in the klunk am I supposed to get to the bathroom or the showers without anyone asking questions or completely freaking out like Gall did?!"

I walked to my bed and got to my knees, pulling up a loose board underneath and stashing the note. I replaced the board and stood back up before making my way to the door and peeking out of it. I quickly spotted Clint and called him over as quietly as I could. He walked over, a confused look plastered on his face.

"Clara? Shouldn't you be with the other Sloppers right now? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Look, Clint, I need you to do me a huge favor. But, you have to be as discreet as possible. Good that?"

He blinked and stared at me for a moment before slowly nodding his head in compliance.

"Good that. What is it, Clara?"

"I need you to go get Newt or Gally. Whichever one you see first. Okay? Please hurry."

Clint raised an eyebrow but did as I said, rushing down the stairs and out of the Homestead to go find one of the boys. I sat back in my corner and waited for one of them to show up. I got impatient just sitting around waiting, so I pulled myself off the ground and ripped off my black sweater, tying it around my waist. I was almost positive the stain on the back of my pants was covered, but you could still see the red blood on the front of my pants. I grumbled to myself and pulled at my hair.

Just then, the door burst open and I spun around to face the intruder. Newt. He scanned the room before quickly limping over to me and pulling me into a hug.

"Are you bloody alright, Clara? Why is there blood on the bed and your pants?!"

"Calm down, Newt..It's normal I guess? Here, read this."

I shoved the small stack of papers in his hands as he sat in a lone chair in my room and began to read. By the time he was finished, he looked up at me with a bright red face and wide eyes. He coughed loudly, trying to compose himself as his hand moved to the back of his neck, scratching it lightly.

"W-Well...So...You aren't gonna bloody die then?"

I sighed, exasperated.

"Please stop saying bloody, Newt. It's a little too ironic right now."

"Uh, s-sorry."

Newt looked at the ground as he tried to process everything. Eventually, he spoke again.

"So, Clint said you blo....uh, that you needed me?"

His eyes met mine again and I could tell that he was anxious and embarrassed. Suck it up, Newt. I'm the one that should be embarrassed, not you! I clamped my mouth shut to prevent my train of thought from spilling out of my mouth like what happened earlier with Gally. After a moment, I controlled my anger and finally replied.

"Yeah..well, uh..could you..uh, I don't know. Help me to the showers or something? I don't want anyone seeing me like this. They will freak out and ask me questions and it will just be embarrassing. Please, Newt?"

Newt stared at me for a moment with an unreadable expression and I half expected him to tell me no. But, instead his gaze softened and a slight smile pulled at his lips. He nodded, causing his dirty blonde hair to bounce ever so slightly. I sighed in relief as he pulled off his white long sleeved shirt and tossed it to me.

"Here, put that on. It should be long enough to cover the blood. Grab some clothes and lets go."

I nodded gratefully and pulled his shirt over my head, letting it drape down my torso. It was so big on me that it almost reached my knees. My arms had completely been swallowed up in it and it made me giggle slightly. I glanced at Newt, noticing a slight blush splayed across his cheeks as his eyes widened ever so slightly. I ignored it and grabbed clean clothes, stuffing them into the bag with my 'supplies' hastily. I slung the bag onto my shoulder and together we made our way to the showers.

We passed by Gally and his face scrunched up in disbelief and anger. I blinked, confused as to why he was so angry. I didn't make him that mad earlier, did I? But, I quickly realized that he wasn't glaring at me. He was glaring at Newt. I lightly poked Newt's bare arm and discreetly motioned toward Gally.

"What'd you do to Gally? He seems really mad at you."

Newt chuckled a bit as he shook his head.

"You really are bloody oblivious, aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes, ignoring that word. I folded my arms over my chest and looked away moodily.

"I have no idea what the klunk you're talking about, Newt."

Newt laughed loudly and clapped me on the shoulder, letting his hand linger there. We reached the showers and I quickly ran in after Newt made sure the coast was clear. I quickly stripped out of my ruined clothes and turned the shower on, stepping underneath. I made sure all the blood had been washed off before stepping out and using my 'supplies'. I placed Newt's shirt in one pile and the rest of my dirty clothes in another pile before pulling on my clean clothes. I saw the medicine at the bottom of the bag, so I gratefully placed a tablet into my mouth and got a big swig of water from the shower head before swallowing and turning the water off. I stuffed my dirty clothes into the bag and grabbed Newt's shirt before walking out.

"Feel better?"

"A little. It definitely helps to be in clean clothes. Now, I just have to fix my bed. Thank you for letting me borrow your shirt."

I handed him his shirt back and waved before walking back to the Homestead. I stopped halfway away from Newt and called over my shoulder.

"Oh yeah, can you tell Alby that I'm taking a few days off and tell Chucky he's in charge? I don't care if he gets mad. Tell him if he has anything to say, he can try to come say it to my face and see how well that works out for him. See ya later, Newt!"

Newt started at my back, blinking as I walked off, completely dumbfounded. I made it to my room, only to find that my mattress had been flipped and my sheets had been changed. I wonder who did that..? I looked around, finally noticing the steaming bowl of beef stew sitting on my table. I would've assumed it was Newt, but he was with me the whole time. I shrugged it off, sitting down and beginning to slowly eat the food.

My stomach was still cramping but it wasn't near as bad as earlier. But, even if I was feeling better, I still just wanted to curl up into a ball and sleep for the rest of my life to get my mind off the cramping and all the blood. Once I finished eating, I dragged my chair to the window before grabbing my blanket and wrapping it around myself. I sat in the chair and watched the Gladers work for the rest of the day, quietly humming to myself to keep my mind off the cramps.

Eventually, darkness settled on the Glade and I sighed quietly, finally becoming bored. I was surprised that Chuck hadn't come to check on me yet. Then again, Newt probably told him to leave me alone. I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of thankful. I just don't want to accidentally snap at him and hurt his feelings. I sighed loudly and rested my chin on my palm.

My door creaked open and I looked over to see Gally standing in the doorway, a plate of food in hand. His face was scrunched up in what seemed like anger, but there was another emotion underneath that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Worry, maybe? I gave him an apologetic smile as he walked in and dropped the plate on the table, making a little bit of food spill onto the once clean surface. I pushed down the irrational anger that flooded through me before speaking.

"Did you come here just to annoy me, Gall?"

"Might as well. You annoy the klunk out of me all the time. Consider this payback."

He plopped down on my bed as I slightly growled before standing and dragging my chair to the table. I ate my food quietly and Gally didn't say a word the entire time. Once I was finished, he finally spoke.

"You're welcome, Shank."

I scoffed before replying as I turned around just in time to see him roll his eyes at me.

"For what?"

"For starters, I brought you food twice today and I fixed your bed for you. You could at least show a little shuck gratitude, Slinthead."

I paused, allowing myself to fully comprehend what he had said. A warmth spread through my chest as I launched myself at him, holding back my tears.

"I had no idea! Thank you so much, Gall! I'm really sorry about earlier, too! I don't know what came over me and I shouldn't have snapped at you like that!"

Gally quickly pushed me off of him and held me at arm's length, a bewildered expression clearly showing on his features.

"What's with these shuck mood swings of yours?! It's freaking me the shuck out, Clara!"

I laughed as my watery eyes glistened, making him even more confused. Then, I ran to my bag and out the door, yelling for him to stay there until I came back. I got to the bathrooms and rushed in, changing my 'supplies' and running back to the Homestead before anyone could see me. I burst through my door, causing Gally to stare at me like I had lost my mind. I smiled at him again and tossed my bag into a corner of the room before plopping onto the bed behind where Gally was seated and curling up in a ball.

The cramps were getting bad again and I accidentally whimpered. Gally immediately turned around to face me, intently studying my features.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing..just hurting a little."

"Where?"

"Huh?"

"Clean the klunk out of your ears for once! I said where, Clara?"

I bit my tongue to keep from snapping at him and replied when I was finally calm.

"My stomach, Slinthead."

He just rolled his eyes and pushed me over so that I was facing away from him. Then, the unexpected happened. He took his shoes off and climbed into the bed behind me, wrapping an arm around my waist right where the pain was and pulling me into his body at the same time. My whole face turned as red as a tomato as my eyes almost bulged out of my skull. I tried my best to get out of his grip, to no avail. He was just too strong.

"What the klunk are you doing Gally?!"

"Slim it, Clara! You're being too loud! You said your stomach was hurting, right?! Well, maybe if your stomach gets warmed up, it'll feel better! So stop shuck squirming and go to sleep because I'm never doing this for you again, good that?!"

I blinked, finally understanding what he was trying to do. Like a heating pad..how do I even remember what that is? I can't ever remember using one, but I do remember the concept of it. I groaned as my head began to ache. I finally gave up and let Gally hold me. Sure enough, his method was working. His body heat was soothing the aches throughout my body. Eventually, he buried his face in my hair and fell asleep and I followed shortly after.

_________________

*Thomas*

I watched the screen in front of me as the Beetle Blade made it's way through the Glade. I caught glimpses of the subjects working before the Beetle Blade stopped in front of a window on the makeshift home the subjects had made. I noticed the girl making her way to a corner of the room before my eyes stopped on her pants. They were stained with a dark red substance, most likely blood. My eyes widened at the freaked out expression on her face and a light blush dusted my cheeks. She's on her period.

My eyes met with Teresa's and she chuckled at my expression. She motioned for me to follow her and together we made our way to Chancellor Paige. Teresa was the one to speak.

"It seems that Subject A8 has began her monthly cycle. What should we do?"

"Hm. Nothing. Let's see how the other subjects react. It will be good research."

Finally, I spoke up.

"But, she's bleeding and freaking out! I'm sure she's in pain, too!"

"Listen, Thomas. Just because you grew attached to her before she was sent in the maze, it doesn't give you the right or the authority to just coddle her when something happens. We didn't interfere when Subject A16 almost took her life and she turned out fine. She didn't die, did she?"

"Chancellor Paige, we are the whole reason why he even attacked her in the first place! That's not the same as the situation at hand! We should at least send her something so that she doesn't stain all her clothes!"

"Enough, Thomas! You are not to interfere! That's an order!"

With that, Chancellor Paige walked away to do more research. My fists clenched at my sides as I glared at the ground. It was true, Clara and I did become close before she was sent into the maze. I didn't mean to get attached to her, but now she was like a best friend to me. I couldn't just let her suffer like this, even if it is just a period. I wouldn't feel right if I just left her to deal with it on her own.

I glanced at Teresa as she placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, nodding to show me that she would help me sneak some supplies to Clara. Whether or not Teresa would admit it, she had grown attached to Clara as well. She walked off and I returned to my station so I wouldn't arouse any suspicion. Eventually, Teresa came and tapped me on the shoulder, motioning for me to follow her.

We made our way to the place where we sent the box up and Teresa handed me the supplies and a piece of paper and a pencil. I hastily wrote a note, making sure to fold it and write something on the outside so that the other subjects wouldn't read it or look inside.

'For Clara. If anyone else reads this or looks inside, we will cut off all your supplies.'

I smiled to myself before placing the bag and the note inside the box, quickly pressing the button to send it into the Glade. There you go Clara. I may not be able to help you and everyone else escape, but at least I can do this much for you.

_________________

I awoke the next day just in time to see Newt walk through the door, a steaming cup of some kind of liquid in his hand. I immediately sat up straight and looked beside me, finally noticing that Gally was no longer in my room. He must've left earlier this morning. I hope Newt didn't see him leaving my room. A wave of guilt washed over me at the thought and I scrunched my face up in confusion. Why do I feel guilty? It's not like I did anything wrong. Before I could think about it any longer, Newt sat on the empty space that was previously occupied by Gally, gently handing me the cup of hot liquid. I grateully took it and took a small sip. My eyes immediately lit up with happiness.

"Hot chocolate? Yum! Thank you so much! But, you didn't have to do that, Newt. I don't want to be a bother."

"It's alright. You could never be a bother to me, Love."

I blinked a couple of times, processing what he had said. A light blush made it's way onto my face.

"Love?"

Newt's eyes widened as he realized what he had said. He blushed profusely as he quickly shook his head.

"I-I don't know why I bloody said that. I'm sorry, Clara."

His gaze focused on the bed as he fiddled with his thumbs. I couldn't help but think his embarrassment was adorable. I grinned and clapped him lightly on the shoulder, making him look at me.

"S'okay, Newt. Are you busy today?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Can you go find a few pieces of paper and something to write with and come back?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll be back."

Newt left my room as I took another sip of the hot chocolate he had brought me. Eventually, he returned holding a small stack of paper in one hand and a pencil in the other. I perked up and happily took it from him, drawing nine boxes, eight incomplete boxes and only one complete that was right in the middle of the others. Then, I made a big 'X' right in the middle. Newt sat back down beside me and stared at the paper, confused. I handed him the pencil as I chuckled lightly.

"It's tic-tac-toe, silly. I don't know how I remember it but I do. All you do is try to get three in a row. I'm x's and you're o's. Go ahead."

Newt nodded slightly before drawing a small 'O' in the top left corner. We played for hours, laughing and smiling the whole time. Eventually, there was a knock at the door and Gally walked in, holding a small bag.

"Shuck box came up again today and you got something again..What's going on?"

Gally finally noticed Newt sitting beside me and his eyebrows scrunched together in a glare. Newt gave him a hard look as he spoke.

"We are bloody playing tic-tac-toe. Did your eyes stop working, Slinthead?"

I blinked, but before I could interupt, Gally snapped.

"Really, Clara? How many other guys have you had in your room? You've probably been playing 'tic-tac-toe' with all of them!"

My jaw dropped as Newt shot up from his position on the bed, walking over so that he was face to face with Gally. Anger flared in his eyes as he spoke.

"Watch how you bloody talk to her, Gally. That was uncalled for. Leave now, or I'll tell Alby to throw you in the bloody slammer for a week! That just might fix that little attitude problem of yours."

Gally's jaw clenched tightly as his hands balled into fists. His face turned red with anger as he stared me down. After a moment, he slung the bag onto the bed and stormed out of the room, almost breaking the door in half as he slammed it shut. I stared at the spot he previously occupied, completely dumbfounded. What the klunk just happened?

Newt sighed as he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. Then he turned to me with an apologetic smile.

"I should probably go. Sorry, Clara."

With that, he was gone and I was left alone with my thoughts. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard, trying to get the lump out of my throat. I sighed loudly and laid back, my gaze finally fixing on the ceiling. I didn't even bother to look when someone quietly entered my room and left a plate of food before leaving. But, I assumed it was Chuck. I finally remembered the small bag, so I reached down and pulled it up to my chest. I carefully opened it and pulled out a book and a note. I read the note first.

'Clara, this is the last thing we'll be able to send to you. We got caught last time. But, I know you'll like this book. We read it together all the time before you were sent into the maze. No matter what happens, you have to stay strong and be brave. I'm sorry for what is about to happen. Everything is going to change.

                                                                                          -T'

I blinked, completely confused. Then, I turned the note over in my hand and read the back. The writing on the back was different from the handwriting on the inside. I re-read the short sentence over and over again, a feeling of dread washing over me each time.

'Always remember, Clara. WICKED is good.'

I slid off the bed and climbed halfway under it before pulling up the loose board and stuffing the new note inside. I replaced the board and made my way to the table, setting the book down before crawling back into bed. I rolled over onto my side and closed my eyes, allowing a single tear to roll down my cheek as I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Here's Chapter Nine! Is it just me, or does Clara seem like a 'hoe' sometimes? lol, excuse my language. Well, if I'm not the only one, then I promise she's not like that! She's just really really oblivious! haha, anyway Thomas will finally be showing up in the next chapter! Is anyone else as excited as I am?! No? Okay. Well, as always, feedback is welcomed and appreciated. If you like the story, please tell your friends! Be on the lookout for Chapter Ten! Thank you so much for reading!

Vote and Comment, Please!<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

952 61 17
A girl wakes up in a box lift, only remembering one thing. Her name is Amy. The box lift opens, and she is greeted by a group of boys. They live in a...
152K 2.7K 30
(Y/N) was the first glader. She didn't remember anything when she woke up in the box, and she still has no memories. Greenies come up every month. On...
90.7K 2.2K 40
(Newt x Reader) // (Minho x Reader) What if you would find yourself in the Glade? What if all of the sudden two boys are head over heels for you? Eve...
468K 11.1K 32
She awoke in a dark box with no memory of the past. She soon learns that she is the only girl in the glade, and outside the stone walls, lies an ever...