Into the Fire(Maze Runner)- N...

By SakuyaVolcom

A new Greenie arrived in the box every month like clockwork. It was always a boy, too..never failed. But, thi... More

1. Welcome To The Glade
2. Let's Dance
3. Shuck Faced Slinthead
A/N:
5. The Keeper And The New Greenie
6. Attempted Murder And The Wooden Figurine
7. Please Don't Die
8. Clara, Leader Of The Glade
9. Everything's Going To Change
A/N:
10. Thomas Arrives
11. Banished
12. I Knew This Was A Bad Idea
IMPORTANT!
13. Chaos, Apologies, and Revelations
14. As If Things Weren't Bad Enough
15. I Love You
I'm sorry.
16. Revenge
17. Thomas, You Slinthead!
18. Decisions
19. Confessions
20. To The Griever Hole
21. The Unexpected Happens
22. End
Cover Preview
Please Read
Had to share these with you
Covers
Ship Names?
So sorry!
I Feel Like I Really Needed To Update.

4. Stung

878 28 4
By SakuyaVolcom

Disclaimer: As everyone already knows, I do not own the Maze Runner or any of the characters besides my own. All rights respectively belong to the amazing James Dashner.

A/N: I would like to personally dedicate this chapter to goingtocamphalfblood! She's in the process of making a cover for this story and I'm really excited about it! Also, if you haven't checked out her stories yet, you really should. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the day Alby would finally tell me which job I was going to do. The last two weeks trying out all the jobs had left me worn and exhausted. I actually liked most of the jobs and I did pretty well with all of them, well except for the slicers. I shuddered, thinking back to that day.

**Flashback**

I looked around, my eyes stopping on Winston, the Keeper of the Slicers. My stomach churned violently as nausea overwhelmed all of my senses. I watched with disgust as he began to chop up a pig he had just killed. The gleam in his eyes and the hint of a smile on his face almost made me lose the contents in my stomach. He was enjoying this too much. Finally, as if just realizing I was here, he turned and pointed his bloody knife in my direction, speaking for the first time since I had got there.

"Well, come on Greenie. You'll never know if you're good at it until you try."

"Do I..have to?"

"What do you think?"

With a heavy sigh, I steeled myself and walked over. I picked up a knife that was laying around and stared at it as the blade glinted in the dim light. I stared down at the already mutilated pig, my hands beginning to shake. I brought the knife closer to it's body, gently cutting at it's belly. Blood spurted out of the wound, landing on my face in little drops.

 I gasped as the world began to spin all around me. I gulped, trying to calm myself to no avail. The metallic scent of blood invading my nostrils wasn't helping, either. Before I knew it, the ground came rushing toward me and everything went black as my head collided with the hard floor with a sickening crack.

**End Flashback**

My stomach began to churn and I shook my head, trying to rid my mind of that horrible image. I could still almost smell all the blood. I slid down the tree I was near, my hand clutching my stomach as I shut my eyes tightly in an attempt to drown out the nauseous feeling overcoming my body. Once I calmed myself down, I opened my eyes, staring into the distance at nothing in particular.

 Believe it or not, I actually kind of want to be a slopper..not because I don't like any of the other jobs, but because I like to help the boys out and clean up after them. It makes me happy to know that I'm of some use to them. If I get an additional job, I'd like to be a cook or a med-jack, or both if they'll let me. It's alot of work, but it keeps my mind focused on our life in the Glade instead of the fact that I'm startin' to believe we will never escape this shuck maze.

A sigh escaped my lips and I let my mind wander, becoming lost in my own little world. Almost ten minutes later, I was abruptly pulled from my thoughts by the sounds of arguing and shouting near the kitchen. I blinked, straining my ears to listen.

"You think you're better than everyone else just because you've went through the shuck Changing! You're nothing!"

"I don't think I'm better than everyone else! Just you, shuck face! But if I was the leader we'd be doing a lot better than we are now! Alby is a shuck joke, just like you!"

"Say it again, I dare you, you piece of klunk!"

"Maybe if you'd clean the klunk out of your ears you would've heard me the first shuck time I said it!"

"I'll show you! I'll show all of you that I'm better than you in every way!"

I groaned, smacking myself on the forehead as a dull headache made it's way into my skull. Noah and Gally are at it again. Immature shanks. This had been going on for the past two weeks. Noah would randomly start some kind of argument and Gally would get pulled into arguing back because well...it is Gally we are talking about. Sure, Noah was pretty annoying most of the time, but this was getting ridiculous.

I huffed as I ran my fingers through my hair, slightly pulling it in frustration as I stood up and made my way to where they were. Might as well stop them before they end up beatin' the klunk out of each other. I heard other voices as I got closer, as if a crowd had gathered around the two boys. I rolled my eyes as my eye twitched a little. Yeah, just gather around and add more fuel to the fire..that's smart.

I picked up my pace as the voices became frantic, shouting for someone to stop. When I reached the crowd of boys, I pushed my way through and grabbed Gally by the shirt. I looked around, searching for Noah, but he was nowhere to be found. I looked at Gally to see his gaze trained on something in the distance. I looked in that direction and gasped, my hand letting go of the taller boy's shirt and flying to cover my mouth. I had found Noah and he was heading straight for the opening in the west wall.

Before fully thinking about my plan of action, I shot off across the glade after him, willing myself to go faster as I picked up my pace. I sprinted toward him, calling for him to stop. He ignored me and dashed through the entrance to the maze, disappearing around a corner. A low growl ripped through my throat as I forced myself to run faster, all my surroundings becoming nothing more than a blur. I'll kill that Shank myself when I catch him.

Just as I was about to pass through the opening into the maze, I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist, yanking me back and slinging me onto the ground. A sharp pain shot through my entire body as I collided with the ground, sliding back a few feet. I groaned, pulling myself onto my hands and knees. I coughed, my chest heaving as I tried to catch my breath. My muscles began to ache from chasing after Noah and I looked up, glaring at whoever had just grabbed me like that. Gally?

"Why'd you do that?! I almost had him, Gally!"

"You can't just go running off into the maze, Greenie! You're not a runner! It's against the shuck rules, or did you forget?!"

"So what?! You're tryin' to say I should just leave him in there to get himself lost or killed? Who will that help?"

"Who would it help if you ended up getting yourself killed too chasing after some idiot shank?! He did it to himself, Clara!"

I sighed, before perking up as Minho jogged over to us, getting ready to go into the maze for the day. Minho will find him. I'm sure of it. I shot up off the ground and stood on my tip toes, trying my best to lock eyes with Minho. He looked at me as if I had lost my mind, placing his hand on my face and pushing me out of his way.

"Don't have time to talk, Clara. Gotta go into the maze."

"Minho, you have to find Noah! He just ran off into the maze and this shank won't let me go after him!"

This seemed to get Minho's attention. His eyebrows scrunched together in annoyance as he huffed, placing a hand on his hip.

"So, that stupid shuck faced shank went into the maze, huh? Alright, I'll look for him. You should be grateful that Gally stopped you, Slinthead. You would have been banished if you would have taken one step into that shuck maze and you know it. You can't be mad at the shuck face for trying to help you."

"You're right. But right now I'm more worried about that annoyin' shank that just ran in! So, quit sassin' me and Go. Find. Him!"

After saying that, I began to push Minho toward the maze, shoving him inside once we got to the opening. He stumbled before regaining his footing, sending me a glare and mumbling insults under his breath. I faked a smile and waved, yelling for him to be careful and not to come back until he found Noah. Why am I even worried about that annoyin' little Slinthead? As Minho disappeared around the corner, I turned back toward the Glade, watching as Alby and Newt made their way toward us. They stopped a foot or so in front of me, immediately asking questions.

"What just happened, Greenie?"

"Why were you bloody trying to run off into the maze?! Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"Did I just see Noah run in there?"

"Did Gally bloody hurt you, Clara?"

I ran a hand through my hair, sighing loudly. Then, I raised my hand, signalling for them to be quiet as I began to explain what had just happened. They immediately clamped their mouths shut and listened intently, their expressions unreadable.

"Well, I was mindin' my own business when I heard those two shanks fightin' once again. So, I went over to try and stop them and by the time I got there, Noah had already took off toward the maze. I wasn't really thinkin' when I ran after him, but I just wanted to stop him. That's all. I wasn't purposely tryin' to break the shuck rules. It just happened. And no, Gally didn't hurt me. My back may be a little bruised tomorrow, but if anything, he technically saved my life. Minho is gonna look for the dumb shank while he's runnin' the maze today. Hopefully he will find him."

It seemed like I had given them a good enough answer, because after that Alby grabbed me by the arm and began dragging me away. What's up with all these boys draggin' me around like I'm some shuck kid that can't be trusted to walk on their own? Before I could pull away, Alby let me go and I fell into step beside him as I shoved my hands into the front pockets of my blue jeans.

"So, what did ya drag me off for?"

"To tell you which job we decided to give you, Shank."

That definitely got my attention. I hid my excitement and nodded calmly, waiting for him to continue. But, in my mind I was freaking out.

"Before I tell you I want to know which job you were hoping to get."

"Honestly? Kind of wanted to be a slopper. I'd be fine with being a cook or a med-jack too. I liked all the jobs except for the Slicers."

I shivered involuntarily just saying that word. Never again. I'd rather be banished than work with Winston in that Bloodhouse again. I glanced at Alby, noticing that he was laughing rather loudly. I raised an eyebrow, having not expected that response.

"What's so funny?"

He laughed for a minute or so longer before finally realizing that I wasn't kidding. He wiped the smile off his face and stared at me, his eyebrows knitted together in pure confusion.

"You weren't kidding, then? You actually want to be a shuck slopper? Clara, no one ever wants to be a slopper. You normally become a slopper when you're bad at every other job. That's not the case with you. So, why?"

A small, barely visible smile graced my lips as I giggled softly, shaking my head. This seemed to confuse him even more.

"I've been here for almost three shuck weeks and you still don't know me one bit, Alby. That hurts. I just like helping ya'll and I feel like I'm helping when I'm cleaning up after ya'll. Sure, it's not the best job and it sucks most of the time, but at least I'm doing something, y'know? I was actually wondering if you would be willin' to assign me to more than one job so I can help out even more."

"Clara, do you know how hard it will be doing more than one shuck job?"

"Yes. That's why I'm askin'. I want to help."

"Fine. But, don't say I didn't warn you, Shank. We were just gonna make you a med-jack, but for now you can work as a slopper too. If you can handle two jobs for the next week or so, we will talk about giving you another by the time they send up a new Greenie. Good that?"

"Good that. Thank you so much, Alby!"

I gave him a friendly hug and ran off to start my day. But, somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew something terrible was going to happen.

------------------------

I had just finished cleaning the Bloodhouse and I was getting ready to go wash up and get some dinner when I spotted Minho running into the Glade, a body slung over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. He found him. I sprinted toward them as Minho yelled for the med-jacks. I skidded to a halt in front of him and helped him set Noah onto the ground as gently as possible. I examined him, noticing his whiter than white skin and the sickening green rope-like veins stretching across his body.

His eyes were sunken in and he had dark circles around his eyes. What the klunk happened to him?! He looks like warmed over death.. Before I had a chance to ask Minho what had happened, he began to explain, running his hands through his perfect hair as he did so. It seemed like whatever had happened had really freaked him out.

"This shank is crazy. I found him halfway into the maze and before I could grab him a griever came around the corner. I was about to just grab him and run, but the little Slinthead charged at the shuck griever! Charged at it, Clara! He has some kind of shuck death wish!"

I blinked a few times before finally understanding what Minho was trying to tell me. My jaw dropped as I stared at Noah, his words from earlier echoing in the back of my mind. I composed myself after a moment and looked up at Minho as Clint and Jeff came and carried Noah away. I knew I would have to get washed up and go help them as soon as possible, but right now, I needed some questions answered.

"Minho, what's 'The Changing'?"

"It's what happens when a shuck griever stings you. Why?"

"So, Gally has been stung by a griever before?"

"Yeah, that Slinthead's just as dumb as the other Shank if you ask me. Why, Clara?"

"Well, when Gally and Noah were arguin' earlier...Noah told Gally that the only reason he thought he was better than everyone else was because he had went through 'The Changing' and right before he ran off into the maze he was yellin' about 'showin' everyone that he was just as good as Gally' or somethin' like that..you don't think...?"

Minho just shook his head, placing his hand on his hip as he began to walk off.

"If that's true, that Slinthead is crazier than I thought. You should probably stay the shuck away from him from now on if you can help it. No telling what the shank might do next."

With that, he was gone, probably to the Map Room to go through his notes and draw his map for the day. I quickly got myself cleaned up and took off at a full sprint toward the Homestead. Before I even made it through the door, I heard inhuman screams echoing throughout the glade, sending shivers down my spine as my blood ran cold. What the klunk..? I pushed through the door and took the steps two at a time, barreling through the door where the screams were coming from.

I tried to catch my breath as I looked around the room, my eyes landing on Noah's writhing form tied to the bed opposite from me. My knees began to shake and my breath caught in my throat. I watched helplessly as he jerked violently, screams ripping through his throat as tears streaked his cheeks. Clint shoved some kind of syringe into the boy's arm and eventually, Noah passed out. Tears blurred my vision but I quickly blinked them away and regained my composure. Ain't no way I'm gonna cry now. I haven't cried since the day I came up in the box.

I immediately steeled myself before walking over and wetting a rag, placing it on the boy's forehead. I gently wiped the sweat from his face before moving to his arms and torso, repeating the process. I would occasionally rinse out the rag before wiping at the boy's body again. Clint had left earlier, just now returning with a bowl of soup. I took the bowl, telling Clint he could go eat dinner. When Clint left the room, I slowly poured soup down Noah's throat a little at a time. If you were awake right now, you'd probably get the wrong idea..You're still the same annoyin' Noah and I still can't stand you, but I just can't bring myself to let you die. If that means nursin' you back to health, so be it.

--------------------------

A few hours later, I heard the door creak open as an uneven rythm sounded throughout the room, indicating someone was walking toward me. I had pulled up a chair and sat by Noah's bed with my back facing the door. But, even if I couldn't see who had entered the room, I still knew who it was.

"Hey, Newt. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be asleep by now? The doors closed hours ago."

"I came to bring you some dinner and give you some company. How's the bloody shank doing?"

"Alright, I guess..He hasn't woken up since the first time. I'm kinda glad too..I was worried I'd have to knock him back out or somethin'.."

"You're worried about him, aren't you?"

"Unfortunately, yes..It's kinda funny, actually. I can't stand the shank and here I am, worryin' about him like I'm his mother or somethin'..."

"You just have a bloody good heart, Clara. That's not a bad thing."

"I know..but, still."

Newt sighed, pulling my chair around so that I was facing him, before running a hand through his messy dirty blonde hair. He set my plate of food down on a nearby table and grabbed my hand, pulling me up and into his arms. He rested his chin on the top of my head as he embraced me. I blinked, but returned the hug. He let go after a moment and gave me a sheepish smile, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Looked like you bloody needed it. Feel better?"

"Yeah, I do. Thank you, Newt..for always being here for me."

"You don't have to thank me, Clara. You should eat something. You bloody starving yourself won't help Noah recover any faster."

I nodded, pulling my chair over to the table and began to eat the food. A comfortable silence fell over us as I ate. When I was almost done, Newt spoke.

"Gally's been in a bloody worse mood than normal ever since you ran up here to help Noah..I think he's worried about you even though he won't bloody admit it."

"Gally? I highly doubt that he's worried about me. He's probably just mad that the shuck griever didn't go ahead and finish Noah off."

"Believe it or not, you've changed a lot of people since you've been here. Before you arrived, Gally was a lot worse than he is now and Alby was always grumpy. I couldn't stand being in the bloody Glade surrounded by this shuck maze and then you came along and..everyone has been happier.."

I looked at Newt, completely dumbfounded. They were happier...because of me? But, I haven't even done anything to make them happy. Just as I was about to voice my thoughts, Newt cut in, stopping me.

"Well, I'm going to go and get some sleep. Daylight will be here sooner than you bloody think. You should probably go to sleep too. Noah will be fine, so don't worry about him. You can come check on him tomorrow before you go clean. Why did you want to be a bloody slopper anyway?"

"Because I like to help ya'll, even if it is just cleaning up after everyone..It makes me happy to know that I'm of some use. I know I can't do much because I'm just a girl, but hopefully what I'm doing will be enough for now."

"You really do have a good heart, Clara."

"Thanks, Newt. Go get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow. Night."

"Night, Greenbean.."

With that, he turned and limped out of the room, leaving me there smiling like an idiot. I make everyone happy, huh? That's good to know. I took one last look at Noah before standing up and going to my own room in the Homestead and climbing into bed after taking off my boots, pants, and my long sleeved shirt. I sighed happily as I laid my head on my pillow and closed my eyes, quickly drifting off to sleep.

**Dream**

A younger version of myself sat huddled in a corner of a run down house that could hardly be considered livable by any means. The windows were busted out and a stifling heat was sucked into the room, making it hard to breathe. It was as if someone had sat on my chest, trying to suffocate me. I was crying, my knees pulled tightly to my chest as I gripped my legs, my fingernails digging into my skin, causing blood to trickle down to my feet. It gave me an overwhelming sense of dejavu. There were noises coming from outside and as I strained to hear better, I made out voices.

They sounded crazed, as if they had lost their sanity a long time ago. I shakily crawled from my hiding spot, peeking out of the window. What I saw almost made my heart stop. There was a crowd of people surrounding the pathetic excuse for a house I was hiding in, patches of hair missing from their scalps and sores with puss oozing from them all over their bodies. Blood was pouring from some of their mouths and they were missing teeth, making me assume they had just ripped them right out of their heads. They were shouting nonsense that I couldn't make out, but for some reason the mere sight of them terrified me so badly that I became frozen with fear.

As I looked closer, I noticed that they had weapons in their hands. I saw knives, broken bottles, and even molotovs. I remember wondering how these insane people could even be competent enough to know how to make a molotov. I didn't have much time to contemplate on it, because the next thing I knew, the crazed horde launched their molotovs at the broken windows, shouting and laughing with glee. One flew right past my face, hitting the wall behind me and the room burst into flames. I sobbed loudly, staring at the bright flames as tremors wracked my small frame.

I had to find a way out. I looked back out the window, realizing I was only about two stories off the ground. I frantically searched the area for any sign of the lunatics. They were gone. Before I could feel any type of relief, I heard footsteps echoing from right outside the room, as if the people were ascending the steps. Why would they set this place on fire and then come in the burning building? They must really be out of their minds. Before I could even fully comprehend what I was doing, I launched myself from the window, plummeting to the ground below. I made contact with a sickening cracking sound and everything went black.

**End Dream**

I shot up, drenched in sweat. My covers fell haphazardly into my lap as I panted, trying to calm myself down. What the klunk..? What kind of shuck dream was that? I groaned loudly, falling back into the bed and letting myself slowly drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yay, I finally got the fourth chapter done! Hopefully it has a little more action in it than the previous ones. What do you think about that dream? ;) please vote and comment! Also, I noticed I have more than 100 views and that makes me so happy! So, from the bottom of my heart, I want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my story! Some of it may be a little boring, but please stick with it and give it a chance! I promise I have a plan! I'll be working on the fifth chapter as soon as possible, so be looking for it!

Vote and comment! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 25 54
(Book 1) Life was as normal as normal could get for the boys in the Glade. The Runners ran out into the gigantic Maze surrounding them, people went...
152K 2.7K 30
(Y/N) was the first glader. She didn't remember anything when she woke up in the box, and she still has no memories. Greenies come up every month. On...
2.2K 63 23
She has a rough awakening in the box, only to find out she is the only girl in the Glade. Despite being mentally torn apart from having lost her memo...
34.5K 772 16
Almost 3 years have passed since y/n first arrived in the maze. The memory of the boy she used to love haunts her everyday, and it is only when a new...