The Nerd

By Sugarminted

Water and Fire, the two opposite elements, when combined, they become neutral. Similarly, love and hate, when... More

The Nerd
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10-1
Chapter 10-2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12-1
Chapter 12-2
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 9

5K 101 4
By Sugarminted

The sight of my father basically just threw me off unexpected.

I shouldn't have doubted myself, the voice in the voicemail was indeed him.

If they actually thought that the both of them getting back together would have made me happier, they were absolutely wrong. From the day he stepped out of this house, there was no point coming back again. There's a reason why they divorced, they don't love each other as much as they do before, and I do not have any means of letting him stay in the house. My house.

Going on a vacation, who is she lying to? Come on, we all know now that she's just using an excuse to hide the fact that he is coming back. Does this mean that she actually wants him back home? Yeah, probably. She misses him so much, now that he's back, she should be squealing for joy. But have they actually thought about my feelings?

Of course they didn't, they just thought that fixing back the family would be as good as nothing actually happened. Things that are once broken can never be fixed back. My family has been broken, there's no point in fixing in back. But my parents don't get it. I want the truth, not some bullshit dug out from nowhere. Just thinking about the fact that Mum actually lied to me about going to a vacation boils the anger in my stomach.

"Honey !" I could hear Mum's voice inside the house, before she runs to the living room and gasped at me. "Oh my god, Rainie, I thought you were at Jarrell's house?"

See what I mean? This whole thing - Mum lying to me and my ex-father sudden appearance at the house, it was all their plan. To make him come back and live with us as though nothing happened, fixing back our broken family, and make everything a fairytale ending. Too bad, I was going to spoilt their perfectly planned plot.

"Yea, looks like we have a visitor." I stared at his eyes. Those eyes that were completely alike, the cloudy gray eyes that held misery and remorse. He never changed at all - the dirty blond hair that he was always proud of and the bulging tummy that never stops growing. The tummy I used to take my naps on when I was young, and the tummy that provided comfort and ease for me to get into my sweet dreams. I can't believe I still remembered all those memories, but if there was one thing that I should hate him for - it's for loving me.

If I had known that he would have left the house to have another family of his own, I would have stopped accepting his bear hugs, his free car rides to school, and the kisses he stained on my cheeks. This overwhelming love he showered me with couldn't be got rid of no matter how I tried, because as what people said - you will always leave a piece of your heart for someone you love. I did love him, simply because he would always be my father.

But now, it wasn't the right time to forgive him, after all the things he had done. If he had considered apologising to me, and visited me after the divorce -just once, I might throw away the fact that he left us and continue to love him as before. It hurts so badly not only when you get bullied in school, but also when someone so close to you didn't want to be by your side anymore. And I was going to pay him back for what he did to me.

"Rainie, I d-didn't mean to-"

"If you didn't mean to, why would you do this to me?!" I cried out.

"Rainie, it wasn't your Mum's fault. I'm solely responsible behind this." He softely said to me, his hand placing on my shoulder, which I immediately shoved his hand away. The expression on his face hardened, excruciating with anguish. But little did they know, that I have experienced twice of the misery he felt now ,when he left the house.

"Stop pushing the blame to each other! If you," I pointed at him, "If you would have spared a thought for your daughter, you wouldn't have left the house! Am I even your daughter?!" I spat. Tears formed at the side of my eyes, rolling down my pale cheeks. I continued glaring at him, which he looked away from it.

"Rainie, I'm sorry." He refused to look in my eyes, instead he stared at the ground. So he was actually regretful of the stupid decision he made without even thinking twice! How shameless he was now begging for forgiveness, when that time he stepped out of the house, his eyes were full of resolve. Now, the resolve was no longer held in the eyes, he knew he made the wrong choice.

"Leave. Now." I pointed the door which was opened. More tears started to flood down my cheeks, and I couldn't stop them from flowing down. Mum was standing by the side holding on the pillar, crying softly. Why did this actually have to happen to me? School's already frustrating me enough, I don't need anymore things to worry and cry about.

He didn't move an inch, he just stood there and watched me cry. This was the first time I've actually shouted at him, and from the moment the words came out from my mouth, I instantly regretted it. But I have to put on a fight, I can't just crumble down and forgive him. I needed to let him know that the mistake he made wasn't a slight one. It was a grave mistake that left Mum and me in tears, and permanently broke our hearts.

"Fine. If you don't leave, I'll leave." I managed to find my voice among the river of tears and said. Wiping the tears off my red puffy cheeks, I gave one final glance at him, before walking towards my bedroom. As I quickened my steps to avoid the attention of Mum and him, I knew this small tantrum of mine was obviously at fault to ask him to leave. It just wasn't right, to jump to conclusions when I did't even give him a chance to speak. Just like how I always make mistakes and get made fun of, I knew that divorce was just a huge mistake of his, and that at least he knew he was wrong, but the confusion in my mind took it the wrong way and start blaming everything onto him.

Yes, I needed a place to calm down and think in the right mind. Asking him to leave was entirely my mistake for being so selfish, yet not thinking about Mum. Mum would be happy, she wouldn't have to weep anymore tears at night, she would have someone to accompany her. Truth to be told, I didn't want him to leave, I needed him, I wanted him to stay so badly. The nonsense I said to him were just lies told out of anger and impulse. I really wanted to beat up myself for screwing up everything.

Stuffing all the clothes into the bag, I finally calmed down. I could hear soft murmurs outside my door, and I knew it was my parents. But I didn't bother listening, I didn't want to listen. Blocking out my hearing momentarily, I opened the door to see my parents waiting outside with their faces full of anxiety. Muttering a 'bye' which was audible enough for them to hear, I took the bag and headed outside. The wind outside was howling as strong as yesterday, but I didn't bother to keep my hair kempt. I didn't check to see if the trees were swaying as vigorously as yesterday, I just kept my eyes looking straight and blocked out the thoughts in my head.

Walking blankly towards Jarrell's house, I wasn't as scared compared to yesterday being familiar with the route there. It's really surprising how one or two things that happened can make your day, or ruin it. My eyes were red and swollen, afraid that the guys might see and make fun of me again. The sun started to set down by the time I reached Alexander's house. I was exhausted, emotionally and physically, and I needed sleep more than anything else.

I pressed the doorbell, and Betty helped me in, I guess she could see the weary state I was in, and just smiled at me without saying anything. Hoping that the two guys would not bother me any further, I headed up to the guest room and jumped into bed.

--------------------------

Alden's POV

Catching the last few glimpses of the sun rays before, I walked down the streets and on the way home. Tonight was no different from the rest of the nights. I held the Coke in my hand and poured the contents down my throat, before crushing it in frustration. This has been the third time I've gotten kicked out of the shop for using a fake ID. Well please, in this modern era, nobody cares whether the identification card is genuine or not. It's a wonder how she manages to keep the business thriving without any teenagers clearing the stock of alcohol.

Well, then she should learn to change her ways. Shop owners I've affiliated with have resorted to underhand tricks to the sell their alcohol off to us. I mean, all they care is the profit they make, don't they? I've never seen anyone so persistent when you get to earn rip money off from the teenagers. Kicking the can into the dark alley, I fiddled with the hem of my shirt in boredom. I didn't like returning home without getting drunk, and the refreshing feeling of headache has been haunting my mind lately. It aches my head for a beginner at first, but it naturally turns refreshing when you become an addict.

Slowing down my pace, I stuffed my hands in the pockets and glanced my surroundings. Passer-bys were giving me strange glances as they walked past, showing the disapproval of my abusive behaviour to the can. I've totally got no mood to annoy them any further, neither do I want to cause any ruckus without a sip of Jack Daniel. My insatiable hunger for alcohol have soon gave a drastic change to my mood, and this was the outcome due to the lack of alcohol.

As I gave back glares to the people who were glancing at me, I walked past a house who had its door wide open, giving a free view of the living room. However, not that the design of the living room was peculiar, but the shouting that could be heard from the house. Obviously, a stranger should not be too busybody into other people's affairs. However, I wasn't a stranger at all. It was clearly recognisable with those thick geeky spectacles, that the girl in there was Rainie.

The decision to whizz past the house as though nothing happened was soon invalid the second after I realised Rainie was in the house. Wearing a white shirt and jeans, which was her normal wearing, one could easily know it was her with just one glimpse. I quickly ran to the house and found a suitable hideout to hear what was going on. Since this house was a large apartment for many loopholes, and without any difficulty, I stepped into a bush situated next to a window. The window was translucent, but I've allowed myself to see a better view of the commotion with just a slight push.

"Rainie, it wasn't your Mum's fault. I'm solely responsible behind this." The man who seemed the most affected by in this unknown situation said, but a mere stranger could have figured out what was this all about. Family matters are always a fuss, and the smart aleck me was illegally poking his nose into this. Not like I didn't have any problems of my own, though.

The tall guy was facing his back view at me, from the angle of the window. However, I could clearly see the lady, and pretty much with one look, I could tell that she was Rainie's mum. Rainie's mum do look alike with her, with the brown hair and petite figure. She definitely took on her mum's short height, which was why she was easily getting bullied. In the school, no one really sees you as an actual student not if you aren't up to a height to look down on people.

She was less than 5'4 tall, I was absolutely sure. If you compare, someone like Penelope, she was 5'4, and with the heels which would make her look a few inches taller, that was enough to let her get away from getting bullied. Moreoever, Rainie doesn't wear heels. She's a nerd, all she would wear is nothing else but sneakers. Sneakers don't seem to benefit the height of hers at all, she ought to know partially the reason why she was getting bullied instead of crying without knowing the reason at all. But no one ever tells her that, because everyone's scared. If she's the target for Penelope and her clique, the rest of the shorter people would get to avoid all this bullying and instead just live their high school life in guilt.

Of course, I don't think this rule of the Penelope's clique is even qualified as a rule. In other words, it does not even making a single sense where you have to bully Rainie and blame her because she's not up to the height others would be expecting. Besides, I don't think being tall gets you any bonus privelieges. Tall girls would seem initimidating to the guys, and that same applies to me. Stealing our ego, is definitely a no-no.

"Stop pushing the blame to each other! If you," She pointed at the tall guy, "If you would have spared a thought for your daughter, you wouldn't have left the house! Am I even your daughter?!" I gasped silently at the audacity Rainie had to shout at him. His tall figure was already threatening, not to say shouting at him would have required much courage to be mustered.

"Rainie, I'm sorry." My eyes bulged wide opened.

"Leave. Now." Rainie's voice was harsh and firm. I've never seen this side of her before. She was always the one crying and getting bullied, never did I ever saw her standing up for herself or talking back. But right now, it was the different Rainie I saw in school. The cute, bubbly and clumsy one. Her cold voice brought shivers to my body, yet I still couldn't get a hint of what made her so infuriated. I didn't really took notice of what happened after that, while getting into deep thought, a voice said.

"Fine. If you don't leave, I'll leave." She said as I saw her storm off in rage. I saw as the woman gave a quick hug to the guy and followed Rainie. It was a pity I didn't get to chance to take a look at his face, or well see how intimidating he could be. Getting out of the bush and heading out, I accidentally stepped on a piece of shattered glass. Looking down, I realised it was a broken IPhone.

Looking around to make sure no one else was suspecting my presence, I took the phone to see the phone. The screen was badly shattered, leaving small cracks and bents on the hard cover. Due to the poor condition of the phone, the power was automatically shut down. Quickly shoving it into my pockets and looking around to make sure there was no observers, I walked back to the streets hiding my presence among the sea of passer-bys.

Maybe I'll be able to find something of use with the phone, now that it's in my hand.

-End of Chapter 9-

I'll definitely rewrite this. Definitely. >:( Not sastified with how I wrote, because I practically rushed everything up. I know this has been chapter 9 already, so maybe I'll have to speed things up. Or not. And here comes the need for your comments. Should I speed up, or not?

I know this Alden scene suck, alot. >< I'll fix everything, and edit my previous chapters. It might not be successful, but I would like to do so. So after this chapter, I guess it's time for a little break? /screams in joy/ Nah, I'll come up with my chapter ten and make it better. Also, I will fill in all those missing details.

Okay so, happy fathers' day ! I know that the fight with the father in this chapter isn't really pleasant to be reading while being it as Fathers' day. :( But anyway, just think of this chapter as a continuation to chapter ten, okay? Thank you for reading all this while, and supporting me. :) Do continue, and I assure you I will try my best. See you again sometime, now I shall give myself a little pat on my shoulder and rest. Bye- sugarminted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 216 40
[Sequel to ~little things~ (Jock! Pj x Nerd! Fresh)] His eyes were dull.. The spark disappeared He just reads and study..nothing else-- no talent at...
92.6K 2.4K 24
Meet the bad boy who falls in love with the nerdโ™ฅโ™ฅโ™ฅโ™ฅโ™ฅ.
4M 102K 40
Brooke and Zac have been best friends since preschool. During senior year Brooke decides to transform the nerdy Zac into a super hot guy, so he would...
48.3K 9.1K 35
One HIGH SCHOOL, Two STUDENTS One a HOT JOCK The other an AWKWARD NERD Both HATE each other UNTIL, One DAY, Everything CHANGES LOVE awakens... And...