Deception

By LoveYourTalent

BASED ON BBC ROBIN HOOD SERIES - When Robin of Locksley returns from fighting in the Holy Lands, along side w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 - The Wedding
Should I continue?
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Author Note
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86 - BIG REVEAL
Chapter 87
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Epilogue

Chapter 88

692 17 0
By LoveYourTalent

- Chapter 88 -

"They never married." Robin spoke confused as Esme noticed Guy had began to pace.

"No. They only ever planned to. Didn't they, Guy?" The stranger spoke as he stopped and Robin glanced up to look at him and noticed his down cast eyes.

"You knew? " He questioned in disbelief and slight anger that he wasn't told as Guy sat down away from them all. His distance hurting Esme and himself, not that he was ready to admit that.

"I found out." He muttered.

"I saw my mother making her way into the forest... and so I followed. She still loved him. I was so angry. She told me that I had to forget him.....pretend that he didn't exist... yet here she was, denying me my father. I confronted her, I remember telling her that we couldn't abandon him and that he needed care. I had wondered if Malcolm made her do it? She told me that they were to get married on Saturday and I was to promise not to say anything until it was done. I tried to convince her to leave Nottingham, go back to France and take Father with us." Guy told as his face fell and the camp grew quiet.

Esme wanted to reassure him and hold him but he stared emptily into the flames refusing to acknowledge her presence.

"Then she collapsed in pain and she told me to run and get help. I'd never run so fast. I thought that..." Guy whispered as he began to realize what had happened.

"She was in labor." The stranger interrupted as Guy glances at Robin and Esme, who has been watching and listening intently.

"I see that now." Guy muttered.

"What happened to the baby?" Robin questioned.

"He was early... but strong." The stranger spoke

*************

It was late in the night as Ghislaine sits up in the bed, cradling her newborn. Malcolm comes over and solemnly sits by her.

"Look. He's so quiet, like he knows he's a secret. And look at this. Ghislaine pulls the blanket back from the baby, revealing a red arched birthmark on his right breast. My son, by this mark, you will never be lost to me. I have thought of a name: Archer. Do you think it suits?" She whispered to him as he kissed her forehead and smiled down sadly at his son.

"I do. But it's—it's—" Malcolm struggled to speak as Ghislaine bends over the baby, crying.

"I know. It's time." She cried.

"Ghislaine! I nee-" Esme called out as she opened the door and froze and quickly closed it behind her. Everyone remained shocked as Esme saw the newborn in her arms and covered her mouth in shock. Ghislaine was trying to fight back her tears as Malcolm looked down at his new son with tears in his eyes.

"I won't breathe a word" She swore an oath as a silent understanding was sealed between the three of them. Esme had come to seek Ghislane's assistance as one of her old whip wounds had re-opened and a small stain of red had seeped into the back of her pale grey dress. She saw the struggle that Malcolm had as he wanted nothing more than to embrace and comfort Ghislaine but he had to take the baby away.

"Let me hold him" Esme whispered as Malcolm easily handed her over with tears in his eyes, thankful of her help as he quickly embraced Ghislaine.

"Downstairs in the stables......please could" Ghislaine couldn't even speak the words as Esme nodded quietly. She knew that the baby was to be taken to a safe place until the parents could marry and reclaim him. As they had said there was a man in the stables waiting as she gently handed over the baby.

"You ride carefully. You carry precious cargo." She whispered as the man nods as thunder rumbles. Esme watched as it slowly began to rain as the main rode off into the night with the baby in his arms. Slowly she made her way back inside to help with Ghislaine until she demanded to stitch up her wound. Neither spoke a word that evening.

*************

"YOU KNEW!" Both Guy and Robin shouted towards Esme as she nodded slightly.

"When they died in the fire I swore I would keep it to my grave. I made an oath" Esme hissed trying to get them to understand. She felt her heart grew heavy as she hadn't thought back on the baby until now and wondered what happened to their brother. She should have done something when the baby had gotten older on Malcolm and Ghislaine's behalf.

"If I had told you about the baby would you have believed me?" She questioned them as they fell silent knowing true well that they would have thought her mad.

*************

Early Saturday morning Robin is up on the grassy hillside. Two small red bags hang from a branch. Robin, with his longbow, shoots both bags in rapid succession and each explodes in a cloud of white dust. He smiles at his feat, then frowns, seeing Roger of Gisborne sneaking around at the foot of the hill. Robin ducks behind the tall grass as Roger goes around to the back of the manor. Robin runs to the village.

"He's back! The leper! Guy's father! He's in their house!" Robin shouted out as he runs to his father who was with Swain, as they stop and turn to Robin running in from behind them. Robin points at the manor. Malcolm looks towards the manor, Swain reaches out an arm to him, but Malcolm runs to the house. Robin tries to run after him, but Longthorn catches him by his jacket.

"Hold! What's going on?" He demanded.

"The leper's back!" Robin spoke as he pulls free and runs after his father. Longthorn addresses the gathering villagers.

"Do you hear that? The leper's back. Risking all our lives again. Come on. Come on!" He shouted to the villagers as Longthorn leads the procession to the manor. Meanwhile inside the manor Malcolm bursts in through the front door where Isabella and Guy are sitting in the chairs by the fireplace.

"Where is he? Out of my way, boy." Malcolm demanded as Guy stood in his way and grabbed hold of a burning stick from the fireplace to confront Malcolm and in hope of scaring him off, from his mother and his family. If his father couldn't protect them then it was up to him to be the man of the house.

"No, not after what you did to my father." Guy defended as Guy thrusts the stick at Malcolm, forcing him to step back. Guy swings the stick again and Malcolm ducks, then pushes him into the table under the stairs, knocking over two goblets of wine. The alcohol ignites, as does a curtain hanging over the table from the banister. Guy stares at the rising flames and Malcolm steps back.

"Get out! Get out! Get your sister out of here!" Malcolm instructed to him, his parenting instincts taking charge as Guy grabs hold of Isabella and pulls her out the door. Malcolm goes upstairs to the master's chamber and opens the door to see Roger and Ghislaine standing together, holding each other's two hands. Ghislaine is wearing a fine gown and has a few blossoms in her hair.

"Ghislaine, there's a fire. You must leave now. You were told not to return." He warns her as Roger takes a step forward alarmed as Malcolm draws his sword. Malcolm briefly points the sword at Roger as smoke starts to rise between the floorboards.

"You expected me to stay away whilst you stole my wife?" Roger questioned annoyed.

"Your wife? The woman that you abandoned for years?" Malcolm snapped back as Roger always drew his sword.

"Oh, please don't do this." Ghislaine begged as it fell on deaf ears.

"Why are you not leaving? Go, go." Malcolm told her concerned but she didn't move.

"Not without you, both of you." She begged them both as Ghislaine steps forward but Roger pushes her to the wall, out of the way whilst Roger and Malcolm circle each other.

"I was wrong... to give up without a fight, and I see it clearly now... how you had things planned from the moment I returned." Roger snapped whilst Malcolm shook his head.

"You brought disease to your family. If you loved them, you would have stayed away." Malcolm spat down on his as Roger scoffed.

"You know nothing of our love. It was she who came to me... in the leper colony. But perhaps your hold over her wasn't as strong as you thought." Roger spat as Malcolm saw the guilty look on her face and knew it was true before he charged towards Roger and the fighting began.

"Malcolm! Malcolm! He is my husband! The father of my children!" Ghislaine begged in hope to spare him as she stretches her hand out towards Malcolm and he stops.

"And so am I! Our son!" Malcolm cried out to her hurt as he pointed to himself. Had she really forgotten their son already he wondered as Ghislaine looks pleadingly at Roger.

"There is a child?!" Roger cried out horrified at her betrayal before he leapt towards Malcolm and the fighting continued. Ghislaine's pleas for them to stop fell on deaf proud men. However outside Esme had ridden into Locksley to play with Robin but at the sound of commotion ran towards the manor and found him outside being held back. Guy stands with Isabella, watching and waiting for their parents to come out. Longthorn stands nearby with several torches in his hand.

"Look! Sir Malcolm is burning the place. The only way to get rid of the disease! Come on!" Longthorn called out.

"No, it was an accident!" Guy cried out as Longthorn holds the torches out and some village men take them. Robin watches, entranced.

"No, you're wrong! Don't do this!" Guy pleaded.

"Wait! My father's inside! No! No!" Robin cried out as he went to run but was held back as they watched the manor burn. It was then that Esme promised herself that the secret of the baby would remain with her until her grave.

*************

"I should have saved her..... I should have braved the flames." Guy spoke gloomily and let Esme rub her thumb over his hand. Guy didn't even realize he was holding her hand as his thumb slowly traced the back of her skin remembering the smooth texture.

"It would have been too late." The stranger spoke as Guy glared at him and dropped Esme's hand causing her to sigh.

"You don't know that." He hissed.

"She was already dead." He informed Guy as he shook his head hoping it wasn't true and that there was something he could have done.

*************

Malcolm and Roger continue to fight as smoke filters in.

"No! Please... this solves nothing." Ghislaine cried out as Malcolm has the upper hand. Roger tries to defend himself, his back to the wall. Roger elbows Malcolm. Malcolm kicks him, then punches him several times before throwing him to the stairs at the foot of the bed. Roger crawls up the steps. Malcolm walks towards him, Ghislaine follows. Roger turns over on the steps to face Malcolm, scrambling backwards. Malcolm is delirious with the thought of finishing him, shaking his sword. Roger crawls to the side of the bed. Roger raises his hand in defence. Malcolm holds his sword at his throat.

"Enough!" She cried out as she grabbed hold of Malcolm's right arm. Without thinking, Malcolm throws his elbow back into her face in intense anger to free his arm. Ghislaine screams and falls back, her head slamming onto the hard floor. Malcolm immediately comes to his senses, looks back at her and drops his sword. Roger sits up. Malcolm goes to Ghislaine, coughing from the smoke. He kneels by her side and checks her. Roger staggers over, staring in horror. Malcolm looks up at Roger and fights back a sob, as does Roger.

"She's dead." Malcolm whispered as Roger holds the point of his sword at Malcolm's throat. Malcolm closes his eyes, waiting for the death he knows he deserves. Roger stares at him, wondering why he no longer fights, and realises Malcolm loved her just as much as he did.

*************

Once the stranger had finished telling them more about their past Guy gets up and attacks Robin, putting his hands around his throat. Robin tries to pull them off but has no luck.

"Get off! Get off!" Robin choked out as Esme leaped trying to pull Guy off from Robin but it was no use.

"What will that achieve? He didn't kill Ghislaine." The stranger asked Guy as he turned his head and looked at the stranger intensely.

"No, but his father did. And as his father's dead..." Guy snarled as he lets go of Robin's throat and reaches back to punch him whilst he chocked for breath.

"But Gis—" Robin coughed as Esme gripped hold of Guy's arm to prevent him from punching Robin as Guy glared at her for defending him.

"No, he isn't." The stranger spoke causing them all to pause and turn to look at the stranger confused.

"Explain yourself." Guy demanded after he had thrown Esme off him causing her to stumble into Robin. Robin kept his eyes on the stranger as he stalked over towards him and grabs his shoulders and pushes him back into a tree.

"My father would never have left me alone!" Robin hissed trying to get the stranger to understand the type of man his father was as Robin stops, frowns and peers into the Stranger's hood. The Stranger puts a hand to Robin's chest causing him to glance at it and takes a step back. The Stranger pulls his hood open wider, looks at Robin, then pushes it off all the way, revealing long, unkempt hair and a scruffy face half scarred from the fire.

"No... no!" Robin whispered in shock and struggling to fight back his tears whilst shaking his head in denial.

"I'm sorry, Robin." He answered truthfully as it was now aware to the others, that the stranger they had been talking to was Malcolm Locksley. Robin's father.

"Heavens above. Uncle Malcolm!" Esme whispered shocked as she rose to her feet with a slight stumble looking at the stranger in front of them shocked.

"No! I mourned for you!" Robin hissed as he paced and glared at his father. Esme placed her hands on his shoulder, causing him to halt as he squeezed her hand as they stared at the man in front of them.

"How could I be your father... after what I had done? After all I'd taught you about honour. Robin.... I couldn't bear to see the shame in your eyes." Malcolm spoke pained as Robin looked away anyways as he shook his head and shifted on his feet.

"You killed her. All these years I thought it was my fault, that my parents died because of the fire that I started, but it was you. That guilt was with me every day. Every day!" Guy roared angrily as he began to slowly take steps towards Malcolm but as his temper and anger rose he pushed past Robin and Esme to grab hold of his shoulders, shaking the frail man.

"GUY!"

"Get off him!" Robin shouted as he pulled his off his father. Esme rushed to Malcolm and eased him on his feet and glanced over at Guy shaking her head as he stared at Malcolm and her over Robin's shoulder before he shoved Robin away from him.

"Can't you see he deserves this?! He's betrayed us both!" Guy snapped at Robin before glancing over his shoulder once again. Deep in her heart Esme knew the double meaning of Guy's words, she knew he mean't that for her as well.

"You're right. Death would be a release. There's been many times that I've been tempted to do the job myself." Malcolm told them as Robin turned towards his father.

"And you expect us to feel sorry for you?!" Robin hissed as Esme shook her head at his angered behaviour.

"Of course not." Malcolm answered softly in return.

"So why now? Why tell us after all this time?" Guy questioned him cautiously as Esme left Malcolm's side and moved back over towards the boys, closer to Guy in hope of calming him down. However he just moved further away from her causing her to pause and fight the hurt that sunk in her heart at his rejection to be near her.

"Because of your brother. I need you to forgive each other..... so that you can unite and save him." Malcolm asked causing them both to scoff in each other's direction. Even Esme knew that the notion of Guy and Robin forgiving each other was not going to happen.

"Oh, this again!" Guy groaned and turned away hoping it would end the topic of Archer.

"Everything I've told you is the truth. And I have told you so you don't destroy each other like your fathers. Son..." Malcolm swore as he turned to Robin hoping he would believe him only to be interrupted by a furious boy.

"No. No, you lost the right to call me "son" when you left me alone in the world." Robin spoke shaking his head slowly barely holding his temper refusing to look at his father as he looks at him with hatred causing Malcolm to sigh at his son.

"Maybe... but didn't it make you the man you are today?" Malcolm questioned his son as Robin looks up, pondering his words.

"Both of your lives could have been so different... were it not for the... mistakes your parents made. " Malcolm spoke as Robin shook his head.

"Well, we can't change that, and I can never forgive Guy." Robin spat in distaste as Esme frowned up at him confused.

"Why not?" Malcolm asked.

"Because he showed no remorse for what he did to Esme." Robin spat as they glared at each other as Esme sighed.

"Robin leave it!" She warned him as he shook his head.

"You worked and killed for the Sheriff for years!" Robin spat.

"And you'd still be living under his power were it not for me." Guy growled back as Robin frowned at him.

"What do you mean, "for you?" You killed the Sheriff." He asked puzzled as Guy fully faces Robin with a stern but grim look. When Robin glances at Esme the understanding finally hit him.

"And I intend to kill the new one, too." Guy declared with a new passion of anger towards his sister.

"First you must join and save your brother." Malcolm informed them.

"You know where he is?" Robin asked him exasperatedly.

"Finally. After many years of searching. I thought if I could find him, tell him the truth about who he was... it seemed the right thing to do..... for Ghislaine. It wasn't easy. He doesn't stay in the same place for long, but now he has no choice." Malcolm informed them both as Guy felt a bit guilty at the mention of his mother.

"Where is he?" Guy reluctantly asked.

"York jail. He is to hang. I'm too sick to help. I'm dying, Robin." Malcolm coughed as Robin and Guy looked at each other before Robin blinks and looks down, not ready to lose his father again.

"Father..."

"You are my last chance. Together, I know you can both do this. Remember the birthmark, shaped like an arrowhead. It is why your mother named him... Archer. You'll do this for me?" Malcolm begged to his son and looked at Guy as Robin bites his lip, looking down. He makes his decision and goes to Malcolm and puts his hands on his shoulders.

"I won't let him die, Father." Robin promised as he gingerly gives his father a long, tight hug, fighting his tears, then steps back with glazed eyes.

"I wish I could see you three together at last." Malcolm whispered sadly as Robin sighs, starting to get dizzy.

"Well, surely we have... more time." Robin began to slur as Malcolm shook his head.

"I'm sorry." He apologized as Robin sighs again and groans as he realises he's been drugged once more and falls on his back. Gisborne looks up at the Stranger as the latter raises his pipe. Gisborne spreads his arms out.

"Look, I really have no desire to see you again." Guy spoke as Malcolm blows a dart into Gisborne's neck. Gisborne grunts and grabs at it, then falls backwards before he does the same to Esme who falls to darkness. When Robin, Esme and Guy start to wake up they find the campfire has died to a small flame and no sign of Malcolm. Robin groans and sits up, holding his head before he brushes the dead leaves from his hair as Guy stands up.

"Gisborne?" Robin asked him.

"Enough. No more talk." He informed as Guy walks a step past Robin.

"But what do you think we sh—" Robin began to speak before he halted to see Guy holding his hand out for Robin. Esme couldn't help the small smile on her lips at seeing them working together.

"To York?" Guy questioned as Robin stares at Guy, trying to judge his intent and glancing at Esme before he reaches out and lets Guy pull him to his feet. Guy starts walking and went straight past Esme not even looking down at her as she looked after him longingly with a sad expression as Robin walked over and picked her up and let her go once she was stable on her feet....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone

I hope you are enjoying it. Please Vote and Comment.

Guy and Esme's confrontation will be coming up in the next chapter, so be prepared for plenty of drama.

Loveyourtalent xxxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 499 35
This is a fanfic that follows Princess Melody, a rebellious princess who encounters Robin Hood and his men. She soon feels drawn to one of them. They...
2.5K 152 24
"Here is the first part of my short(ish) story about the wonderful Sir Guy of Gisborne. I have written it because I always felt he was a bit shortcha...
5.3K 350 63
We all have heard the male's veiw of Robin Hood. Now, see how the lady fairs. Mary was a young girl that was sold into a life she didn't want, til on...
34K 709 24
Robin of Locksley is determined to protect villages all around the kingdom. Nothing stands in her way as she faces Sherif of Nottingham and many othe...